Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Yes another gas tank question  (Read 2188 times)

Offline customrt99

• Rider
Yes another gas tank question
« on: January 27, 2006, 08:35:19 PM »
I've searched all over and still havent found an answer. I have an 01 busa and just bought a complete custom painted fairing set with tank. I think that the tank is from a 99 or 00 busa and the fuel pump setups are different. Is it possible to modify the bottom of the tank i just got to make my fuel pump setup bolt into it. I'm thinking that it can be cut out and re welded or something like that so that it will work. any help is appreciated because i'm trying to get my bike done pretty soon. thanks

Offline gnd111

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
  • Fried Chicken and Gasoline...
Re: Yes another gas tank question
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2006, 08:41:59 AM »
99-00 bikes have the pumps on the bikes and not in the tank...

Offline Speedy

• Rider
    • http://www.hayabusaclubbelgie.be
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2006, 12:43:13 PM »
hey,

Not easy to solve the problem.
you have 3 options,
1) savest, get a 99-00 fuelpump AND injectorrail (I have also 2001 busa and saw today that the engineblock are prepared to mount an extendend fuel pump like 99-00.
2) what you said, modify the tank and place the internal-pump into it. BUT Iīm affraid the paint IN the tank where you gonna weld gonna peel off. Also it must be perfect done so that you donīt have a fuel-leak.
3) find the another tank 01-06 and repaint it.

I know itīs sucks  :|
-->>> www.hayabusaclubbelgie.be <<<-- A belgium hayabusa club!!!

Offline customrt99

• Rider
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2006, 03:35:02 PM »
i'm  pretty sure that i'm gonna find someone that can weld really good and really knows what they're doing to cut out the square on my 01 tank and weld it onto the tank i just got because this is a one off paint job that i just got and repainting is not really an option and I dont wanna convert to an external fuel pump setup.

Offline Speedy

• Rider
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2006, 05:15:26 PM »
I donīt know how the '99-tank looks like at the underside. But if Iīm not wrong the 2001 pump is screwed on the tank and when you take it out, you leave a round whole.
What if you make the same whole in the '99 tank and drill + tap the same like 2001-tank so that you can screw it back on (with seals between is offcourse). Is that possible or is the surface not flat on the '99-tank?

Offline customrt99

• Rider
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2006, 02:11:54 PM »
i did look at that but it looks like it would be easier to cut out the 6 X 5 square on the bottom of the tank and weld in the same size square from my 01 tank. This way you would have the same mounting setup for the fuel pump. Seems like a competent shop or welder could do this without to much difficulty.

Offline Speedy

• Rider
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2006, 11:24:16 AM »
Then itīs better that the square in the 99-tank smaller then the square with the fuel-pump.
Itīs make allot easier for welding and lesser change to have a leak.
But ask for sure at the welder-person, he knows the best.

Donīt forget the flammeble gasses in the tank  :wink: or itīs gonna be a BIG tank  :lol: