Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Sport Touring on a Busa  (Read 25127 times)

Offline Mr. Demeanor

• Mad Post Whore
Sport Touring on a Busa
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2003, 05:57:00 PM »
Mines set up pretty good for touring. I am 6'4" and ahve a fused spine so Im all about the comfort.
I have Heli Bars and 3/4 spacers under the handlebar mount.
LP footpegs that give you about 3/4" more leg room.
Shimmed the seat mounting brackets where they attach under the seat to bring it up another 3/8" and no more sliding forward into the tank.
Cortech magnetic tri-bag tank bag that holds a ton of stuff.
Ventura Rack system for the rear. I have the big square bag that wasnt listed on their website last timeI looked. Just ask when you call them. Its like a large duffle bag.
I also have the Sport tour windscreen but I prefer the double bubble as I get alot of turbulence right at the helmet with the ST. May be because of my height.
I also modded my ast idle but I dont like using it as you can not slam your throttle closed in an emergency w/o pushing the idle lever back first.
Pardon my spelling...I cant see the keyboard!!!!!

Offline FSTOUR

• Rider
Sport Touring on a Busa
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2003, 08:18:00 PM »
We road an FJR at Americade this summer.  I thought it was okay comfort wise.  The power, well nothing compares to a Busa for power.  My girlfriend said it did have more leg room but after only 25 miles she had to get off.  The seat was killing her and the wind blast no matter where I put the screen would either push her back or pull her into me.  I am 6'1" and she is 5'5".
I would think twice before buying and FJR, or take it on a long ride to make sure it was something you liked.

Offline Scot

• Rider
Sport Touring on a Busa
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2003, 08:40:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Tweak:
Tire definitely a weakness.  I have considered buying another rim and mounting up a sport/touring tire for road trips.  

Does anyone out there run sport touring tires?

Tweak

I plan on running an 020 rear and an 010 front.

I did the MEZ3 front MEZ4 on the rear of my bandit with good results.  The tires tend to wear evenly, I still got good stick plowing into turns, and coming out of turns.
It wasn't quite as sticky or sure footed but the trade off was worth it to me.  It didn't really slow me down once I got used to it-
02 Blue/Black

If it ain't snowin'....I'm a ridin'
If it is snowin'...I ain't a riding fast.

Offline bikerdup

• Rider
Sport Touring on a Busa
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2004, 10:50:57 AM »
I originally posted this over a year ago.  Since then, I've gotten a 'Busa (an '02 with 1016 miles on the clock that I picked up on Fathers Day.  Also got a new tank bag and a new helmet the same day from my wife.  Pretty good Father's Day, eh?).  Since then, I've done numerous mods - some to tailor the bike to sport touring; some just for the hell of it.  The list of mods includes:

Galfer braided front brake lines + EBC HH pads
Zero Gravity Double Bubble screen in dark smoke
Fairing grills made from aluminum lathe purchased at Home Depot
Heli Bars + 3/4" Gen Mar risers
Tank Bra
1" mirror spacers
Second horn mounted next to the stock unit
Pro Tech slash cut foot pegs front and rear (great mod!)
TRE
Speedo Healer (transplanted from my VFR)
BMC race filter
Jardine titanium slip-ons (new purchase; should arrive this week)
Sylvania SilverStar low beam
Center stand
Carbon fiber chain guard
Hugger
Clear Euro-style front turn signal lenses and clear tail light lense

4-gauge battery cables
Throttle rocker (transplanted from the VFR)
Carbon-fiber "mini" turn signals on the rear

Illumiglow gauge faces in white (reverse style)

The only remaining mod planned is the seat.  The crowned contour of the stock unit is not to my liking.  I'll be talking to both Tobin and Sargent this winter.

I have yet to do any really long days (300 miles+) on the bike.  With that caveat stated, I find the bike to be very comfortable as a result of the wind screen, pegs, and bars mods.  When I bought the bike and rode it home, I was afraid I had made a serious mistake buying it - it was really uncomfortable for me.  However, time in the saddle plus the ergonomics mods have yielded a very comfortable platform that I'm confident will be just fine for some of the 600 mile days planned for next season.  Best of all, my wife, who loves to ride, has pronounced it a winner !

BTY, I think both this and Hayabusa.org are excellent boards.  Many of the mods I have done are a direct result of discussions posted here.  

'Busas rule!   :D
What is good?  To crush your enemies; to see them flee before you; and to hear the lamentations of their women !

Offline Randor-B

• Post Whore
Sport Touring on a Busa
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2004, 12:23:13 PM »
I have had the gel seat as long as I've had my Busa(s). It's great for most days of riding, but it can get a little uncomfortable when you reach the 300 mile mark. I drove from Minneapolis to the UP and only got off to gas up. Wasn't too bad, but I was ready to get off the bike. Don't know anything about the corbin seats........I've heard they need a little break-in, but are great after that.

happy riding............. :moped:

Offline copper

• Rider
Sport Touring on a Busa
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2004, 01:14:21 PM »
I have done 1800 miles in 3 days and 4500 miles in 10 days (really only 7 days of riding). My only problem is stretching my knees out so they don't get sore. I'm 6'2" tall and if I scoot to the front of the seat I can sit up almost straight. It makes a great all-around bike for me.

My sport touring mods are:
double bubble screen
heli-bars
aftermarket pegs
sheepskin seat cover
givi hard bags
avon 45/46 tires

Offline TONY1300R

• Rider
Sport Touring on a Busa
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2004, 01:24:25 PM »
I tend to agree with the advice given here. I second the gel seat..the stocker really bothered me after only about 100 miles. Suzook gel (from StreetnTrack) I go 300-350 before feeling it. Zero gravity double bubble windscreen for better airflow/proection (I'm 5'8"). Stainless brake lines for better feel and performance, TRE for less lurch at low speeds in traffic.
Tank bag (with straps) and I use a soft luggage on the rear seat when touring, pillion when not. Gel grips. Relocate Input air temp sensor
(IATS) if you plan to ride in traffic in hot conditions...Muzzy aluminum fan blade too if in hot conditions/traffic.

One item not mentioned above...Scottoiler automatic chain lubing system
About $170 and I got the larger touring reservoir (about the size of a paperback book) capacity good for 3000-4000 miles. The reservoir lives under the license plate, drip rate to chain is hand valve adjustable/variable to easily compensate for dusty or wet or high heat/velocity conditions. Extends chain life (they claim 2-3 times the mileage) and reduces adjustment interval...no need to pack sticky chain lube cans on a tour or worry about when/how much to apply....Busa was my first bike with NO centerstand so applying chain lube away from home/pit stand is a pain.(SIDESTAND MOD!!!) It is really just a bunch of thin teflon tubing and a small reservoir/valve that really reduces wear, drag, and worry.
The install is pretty easy, requires "t" connect in to a vaccum line so oiling only happens when engine runs!!! The lube applied is pretty much the pink ATF fluid so it doesn't generate the sticky residue that attracts dust/grit like conventional chain lube. I have 7500 miles on my 01 Busa with 3 chain adjusts to date...no appreciable wear on sprockets either!!!
Weighs maybe 1 pound or so and is not really visible/obtrusive...This is my favorite Busa mod by far. I think it is made in Scotland (those frugal souls) and I got it through Riderstation.com?? in Chico,CA.

Other considerations: depending on your weight/load probably a set of 1kg fork springs, and I also got an Ohlins rear shock (not for comfort though).
Scorpio alarm system with perimeter sensor, pager, panic feature etc for some peace of mind when away from home.

While several of my suggestions are for the Busa's comfort/performance, in the long run they reduce wear and tear on the rider...e.g. no overheat, melted fan blades, jerky low speed performance,"follow the bike around the lot chain lubing" etc to deal with...

I agree with those (including Suzuki) who call it the best "open class GT machine" out there.

I remember returning  from a "Northern Cal loop" tour south of Lassen Volcanic Park and just rolling on the throttle up to 165mph or so....smooth, solid, stable..some tourer huh???

Tony

Offline viol8r

• Post Whore
    • Anthony Construction Masonry
Sport Touring on a Busa
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2004, 05:28:37 PM »
Quote from: copper
I have done 1800 miles in 3 days and 4500 miles in 10 days (really only 7 days of riding). My only problem is stretching my knees out so they don't get sore. I'm 6'2" tall and if I scoot to the front of the seat I can sit up almost straight. It makes a great all-around bike for me.

My sport touring mods are:
double bubble screen
heli-bars
aftermarket pegs
sheepskin seat cover
givi hard bags
avon 45/46 tires

I got almost the same. Sport Tour screen and no hard bags....they would be nice.

I'm a traveler and that sheepskin worked. I bought a car seat cover and had my ma-in-law modify if for me.

The Avon 45/46Ss are the best for me so far, over 60,000 miles on various tires.

Offline moe1955

• New User!
Re: Sport Touring on a Busa
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2005, 05:34:34 PM »
First time here, welcome all,

Great info  ..As I am planning on getting rid of my 93 K1100RS soon, and have been thinking about the Busa for some time. My last bike was a ZX11 which was a daily commuter/sport tourer that I had for 3 years. Now that I'm a F.O.G. over 50 I still love the speed ( Yeah Safety First Boys and Girls) But also love my 500 mi plus days on a bike with some grunt in it.

Anyway again I'm picking up a lot of valuble info here and look forward to checking in. 

"I don't want no pickle, just wanna ride my motosickle"

Offline Mr. Demeanor

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2005, 06:31:41 PM »
The first pic was taken right oafter I crashed but you can see the sheepskin seat cover, Ventura luggage rack minus the actual luggage, Buell footpegs and heli bars. Dont waste your money on a sport touring windscreen. More turbulance than anything. I like te smooth air the stocker delivers.

Buell pegs:

In Canada with luggage:

Come join the St crowd over at www.sport-touring.net    Lots of Busa riders there...the rest are just envious of us  :D

Offline viol8r

• Post Whore
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2005, 06:53:34 PM »
I like the Sport Tour Shield because I can see all the gauges...including the speedo without ducking my head down.

I've also ridden with others that didn't have the Sport Tour and their arms got tired from going 100 plus because the wind pushed them back. I can sit up comfortably well over 100 for a long time.

Offline Mr. Demeanor

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2005, 08:16:01 PM »
I should ad that I am 6'4" and if I ducked down just a bit the St sheild worked better for me. I am sure part of it was my height.

Offline viol8r

• Post Whore
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2005, 08:40:11 PM »
6' here.

Offline Twisted

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Apocalyptic Whore
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2005, 08:58:12 PM »
um, is Mr Demeanor is a chic? or is that Miss Demeanor?  :?

Offline viol8r

• Post Whore
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2005, 09:40:44 PM »
Former PowerStroke...from up here by me. I think that's his wife..?

He's in Florida now.

Offline Mr. Demeanor

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2005, 11:36:43 PM »
Thats the wifey. Just outside Wawa on the eastern shore of lake Superior. I highly recomend heading that way if you can.

Miss Demeanor ws the name of my boat and thats how the screen name cane about. I changed it so it was the same all the boards I visit (boating and bikes)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2005, 11:38:41 PM by Mr. Demeanor »

Offline frisbee

• Rider
« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2005, 01:36:11 AM »
I did 39 states  and 9,000 miles on my 02 in a month of riding . 981 miles one day because I wanted to get to where I was going in Va. . Wish I had a throttle lock and a corbin seat . Other than that everything was great .

Offline frisbee

• Rider
« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2005, 01:37:02 AM »
Holy crap this is an old post .

Offline Twisted

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Apocalyptic Whore
« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2005, 02:02:33 AM »
Holy crap this is an old post .

welcome to two years ago....

Offline twisterxx

• Apprentice Post Whore
« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2005, 03:58:02 PM »
I bought my Busa to tour on, and do 600-700 mi. days no problem. I use a set of soft bags and a tank bag. also added a Throttlemeister, love the bike. Traded my Honda XX.

Offline dagwood

• Rider
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2006, 05:57:03 PM »
Figured I would contribute to keeping an old thread alive.  I just bought my new busa about a month ago and am loving it.  I am trying to set it up as a sport tourer and am looking for more ideas.  Anybody try the Joe Rocket Velocity bags (as seen in the Cycle World article, Speed Wagons)?  They look nice but I'm wondering if any of you have any experience with 'em.

Offline Skeeter

• Rider
  • "Attack life - it's gonna kill you anyway"
« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2006, 09:19:49 PM »
I purchased my '04 'Busa specifically for long distance highway riding. I previously did lots of long distance riding on my VTR - not a great touring bike but something to compare the 'Busa to.  I've done 900 mile days on both machines - way less fatigue on the 'Busa!

The 'Busa has:  good range - about 200 miles between re-fueling stops, good wind protection for a sporty bike, exceptional smoothness at 4500 rpm, and has comfy seats for the rider and passenger.  For me at least, a more upright riding position would offer enhanced comfort only for city riding.

I've been running Metzeler Roadtec Z6 tires - about twice the mileage from rear Z6's vs. the BT56.

'04 purple/black 'Busa, Yoshimura stainless canisters, gel seat, 'busa tank cover, heated grips, Scorpio alarm.

Offline Xhiler8r

• Post Whore
« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2006, 10:13:10 PM »
Cheers   Now Boosted

Offline KSpecII

• Rider
  • Black & Blue is the fastest color
« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2006, 10:57:20 PM »
I purchased my '04 'Busa specifically for long distance highway riding. I previously did lots of long distance riding on my VTR - not a great touring bike but something to compare the 'Busa to.  I've done 900 mile days on both machines - way less fatigue on the 'Busa!

The 'Busa has:  good range - about 200 miles between re-fueling stops, good wind protection for a sporty bike, exceptional smoothness at 4500 rpm, and has comfy seats for the rider and passenger.  For me at least, a more upright riding position would offer enhanced comfort only for city riding.

I've been running Metzeler Roadtec Z6 tires - about twice the mileage from rear Z6's vs. the BT56.

my 99 busa with PCII and Yoshi slip ons onli does ard 160 miles before the reserve light comes on when cruising at avg speeds of ard 130-150mph.. wonder if it's time to dyno the bike for better fuel economy...  :?:

Offline Busa TWT

• Apprentice Post Whore
« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2010, 08:05:36 PM »
Touring on a Busa?
Well I've done some myself, and yes I know it's an old thread, still a good one

http://www.thirdwheeltrailers.com/index.php/trip_gallery