Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: DIY Build your own nitrous kit. **Now with Parts list** updated  (Read 25039 times)

Offline h22AccordTurbo

• Rider
DIY Build your own nitrous kit. **Now with Parts list** updated
« on: January 30, 2006, 10:16:58 AM »
Hey guys im looking for some info on what is exactly needed to build your own nitrous kit. Right now Im stuck between doing either a stainless braided hose setup.. or the plastic line. I was really kind of hopeing to do it with the plastic line, but I havent been able to come up with all the parts needed.

Can someone make up a good list of what is all needed and required? Im more than confident I can build my own system.. I just want to do it all at once and not find myself missing any small parts. Thanks

-Mark
« Last Edit: February 01, 2006, 05:56:28 PM by h22AccordTurbo »

Offline Speedy

• Rider
    • http://www.hayabusaclubbelgie.be
Re: DIY Build your own nitrous kit.
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2006, 11:19:27 AM »
Hi,

check this out --> http://www.diy-nitrous.fsnet.co.uk/

Watch out with the plastic lines with the pressure.

Here is a link where one of the best nitrous systems and they use special plastic lines -> http://www.racetested.com/

Remind, pistons cost more then nitrous systems, look very carefull what you do and use!
I was also planned to make on my on but now thinking to buy one.
-->>> www.hayabusaclubbelgie.be <<<-- A belgium hayabusa club!!!

Offline h22AccordTurbo

• Rider
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2006, 12:42:25 PM »
Kits are pretty easy to do your self.  You pay for the convience with the other kits.  In a nut shell.. you have your bottle, solenoid, line, nossle, jets, and your few misc fittings.   I can easily do a stainless set up.. i was just looking for insite on the plastic lines.

Offline chevelle

• Post Whore
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2006, 04:54:23 PM »
plastic lines are fine,but can only be used from the exit port(low pressure) on the solinoid,if the solinoid isn't mounted to the bottle,you will need a high pressure (braided line) from the bottle to the solinoid

mps has line kits   http://www.mpsracing.com/products/MPS/no01.asp

Offline TrickTom1

• HOT ROD
  • Site Donor
  • Post Apocalyptic Whore
  • In God We Trust
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2006, 07:11:34 PM »
I don't like the plastic line.

Offline zx thunder

• Rider
  • what
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2006, 07:30:11 PM »
the plastic line will give you more punch than the braded line but you can only use it from solinoid to the fogger
Dam what was that
http://www.myspace.com/zxthunder

#1 in turbos RCC

Offline Rice Ya

• Legacy Rider
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2006, 10:37:57 PM »
Plastic line WILL melt. :bah:(really great for cooling off the outside of the motor)
Go steel braided line.
Untill you give it everything you've got, you won't know if you got what it takes. Dave Schultz

Offline E-RACER

• Universal Post Whore
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2006, 02:44:03 AM »
Ive actually had great luck with the poly lines..I have condut over them so heat won't mess them up..

you will need>

1 Nitrous solenoid(not a fuel solenoid less psi on those) APROX $100 if you buy a Purge kit which you also need the adapter out if that also for the guage I prefer NX But NOS good too..

Liquid filled NX PSI Guage I have mine coming right off the botle with the before mentioned adapter that comes in the Purge kit

braided feed line depending on where You put the solenoid 2-3 feet..I mount them right near the rear brake resvoir

2 DRY nozzles and the nuts funnel jets,ferrels ect 2-#24 jets =aprox 40HP 2 #30jets  60hp ect

1 T to come out of the solenoid for the 2 braided or poly lines

NOS brand Bottle try to get a 2 lber!! :shock: :D bootleg or NX valves break easily!!**and if your running it upsidedown Take the valve off and make sure the siphon tube is out!!**Verifiy this mod yourself..Dont take anyones word on this thats it already out..

2 way on/on togle to turn your Starter button into the Nitrous button(tap right under the seat into the sarter relay wire Green wire yellow tracer)and go to the center pole of the 2 way toggle,one back to the solenoid other back to starter relay

Some kind of bracket to hold the Bottle(if you bike is long you could Mount it in front of the tire)if not a 2lb will fit into the trunk

Thats it ...not much to it ..I built Mine for around $200..taste great less filling!!!

I got some stuff at a local Car shop and some off ebaY..the bottle and the solenoid cost the most..get new on both better off ...

« Last Edit: January 31, 2006, 02:55:59 AM by E-RACER »

Offline h22AccordTurbo

• Rider
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2006, 05:51:46 PM »
Alright guys... after much work.. But worth it IMO I designed/built my own kit. Most of the time was spent finding the cheapest places for the parts. Heres a list of how much i spent and where I purchased them from.

MPS Racing.  www.mpsracing.com
MPS Bottle Mount      35.00     # 1-0135
1/8" NPT - 3/16" tube - complete    $4.01   # 3-16433nos   (used to attach plastic line to the solenoid)
MPS Dry Nitrous Dual Nozzle Kit $30.00 #1-0350  (comes with nozzle,fittings, and tube to run from the solenoid to nozzle)

total spent.  $69.01 after shipping $79.00

Jegs Racing.  www.jegs.com

NOS brand 2lb Bottle  # 741-14710  129.99

Total spent $129.99  after shipping  139.98

Dyno Tune Nitrous  www.dynotunenitrous.com

Nitrous Oxide Solenoid 175hp - $59.00  # 200
1/8" to 4AN Swivel Fitting $ 12.95  #510
jets                                 3.99

total spent $75.94  after shipping 87.94

Grand total 306.92

this is with all very good quality parts. I saved at least 80.00 from getting everything for myself. This is a great idea for those who are great with wrenches.

Offline E-RACER

• Universal Post Whore
Re: DIY Build your own nitrous kit. **Now with Parts list** updated
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2006, 01:24:10 AM »
Kool..don't forget the NX guage aprox $35

:D

Offline h22AccordTurbo

• Rider
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2006, 04:11:36 PM »
I got some parts in.  Wow everything is looking awesome. DynoTune Nitrous has some sweet solenoids.

Offline BUSA_STEVE

• Post Whore
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2006, 04:21:47 PM »
Looks good
Red & Grey 2000 Hayabusa, SOLD
Blue & Silver 2000 Hayabusa, SOLD

Offline bobby5150

• Restricted
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2006, 05:03:07 PM »
after you get it done and tested...if you want to throw one together for me i will pay ya. let me know how it works out.
"A man doesn't automatically get my respect. He has to get down in the dirt and beg for it."

Offline h22AccordTurbo

• Rider
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2006, 05:22:46 PM »
after you get it done and tested...if you want to throw one together for me i will pay ya. let me know how it works out.

Hey just send me a PM. No need to pay me!

Offline bobby5150

• Restricted
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2006, 05:36:19 PM »
cool bud...keep me posted and i will send ya money for the parts...and i will work on the gauges tonight unless you have a new pic you wanna use.
"A man doesn't automatically get my respect. He has to get down in the dirt and beg for it."

Offline bbqb4racin

• Rider
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2006, 08:12:58 PM »
I'm also in the middle of a DIY nitrous project. Chevelle was one of the first people I contacted about the Dyno Tune nitrous kits. He was helpful and had some good pointers for me. I'm watching your thread to see how you make out. I'm interested in your thoughts and results.

Here's the parts I've acumulated for my DIY:

Dyno Tune basic nitrous kit
Dyno Tune purge kit
MSD digital window switch
Tiger Racing under the hump bottle mount
NOS 2lb nitrous bottle
Wildurn Motorsports WOT switch
PMR billet rocker switch assembly
Nitrous Express Gauge
Misc. braided lines, wiring, relays, etc.

I already have a PCIIIr, so with a little re-mapping, that should take care of my extra fuel needs at WOT.

BTW, What jet size are you going with? #28, #34, or #36?

Offline h22AccordTurbo

• Rider
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2006, 10:53:29 AM »
I'm also in the middle of a DIY nitrous project. Chevelle was one of the first people I contacted about the Dyno Tune nitrous kits. He was helpful and had some good pointers for me. I'm watching your thread to see how you make out. I'm interested in your thoughts and results.

Here's the parts I've acumulated for my DIY:

Dyno Tune basic nitrous kit
Dyno Tune purge kit
MSD digital window switch
Tiger Racing under the hump bottle mount
NOS 2lb nitrous bottle
Wildurn Motorsports WOT switch
PMR billet rocker switch assembly
Nitrous Express Gauge
Misc. braided lines, wiring, relays, etc.

I already have a PCIIIr, so with a little re-mapping, that should take care of my extra fuel needs at WOT.

BTW, What jet size are you going with? #28, #34, or #36?

hey that sounds great! I to may go with a window switch.. Its going to be hard to keep track of my nitrous, air shifter and rpms at once.

Im going with a 36 and 38. Which I believe is a 40 and 50 shot. Can someone confirm this??    DynoTune has lots of jets at the best prices.  I can stress enough how nice there kits are. IMO I would take Dynotune's products over NOS any day.

Dont forget guys you may need to buy a TAP. The nossle requires you to tap the air box. I had one laying around from a previous nitrous kit I had in one of my cars.

Offline h22AccordTurbo

• Rider
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2006, 10:56:20 AM »

Offline Chet

• Post Whore
    • Galek Motorsports - Busa Powered Sports Cars
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2006, 11:29:48 AM »
Please note -
I have NO nitrous experience but I was wondering if it would make sense to use the billet velocity stacks for the nitrous setup. Obviously using the shorter better flowing billet velocity stacks in the air box would help by itself but I'm really wondering about mounting the nozzles directly to the billet stacks.

I'm interested in hearing your opinions.

Thanks
Chet

Offline E-RACER

• Universal Post Whore
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2006, 01:00:40 PM »
Your going to have a hard time mounting that bottle in the trunk with the solenoid attached to it..just mount it in the tail near the rear brake mastercylinder reservoir..

CHET,Yes those would help and Ive seen a wet kit mounted right into the stacks,and You could do a dry that way also..that would be kool and hit hard!!

Offline bbqb4racin

• Rider
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2006, 05:37:03 PM »
biggest advantage to the billet stacks is they are the same length.  that is the main purpose of running all shorts.  the taller middle two stacks will rob a little nos from the shorter outside ones. 

This makes for an interesting discussion. In theory, I'd have to agree. I'm thinking the same thing. Short stacks, same length, equal distributiion. But nitrous aside, is the air flow really that different between the stacks, shorts/longs? Wouldn't air box design somehow play into this? Would or do any of the cylinders run a bit leaner/richer due to stack length from the factory? I understand Suzuki did the short/long combo to aid in low speed drivability/throttle response. I'm not an engineer but the answers do interest me.

BTW, Is it time to do the small box mod at this point (nitrous install) ? Short stacks too? Or, leave it the **** alone?

Offline Chet

• Post Whore
    • Galek Motorsports - Busa Powered Sports Cars
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2006, 08:35:03 PM »
A little info about velocity stacks and the Hayabusa seems appropriate.

Suzuki used short and long rubber velocity stacks to get a wide torque band. The stock Busa has different fuel maps for the inner cylinders (OEM long stack) and outer (OEM short stack) - the inner cylinders have less fuel at high rpm.

The stock OEM short stacks have a 48mm ID and do not match the TB ID (50mm).
The billet velocity stacks we use have a 50mm ID to match the TB and a larger progessive flare to 79.5mm. The billet stacks flow a lot more air (proven on the flow bench) than the stock short stacks.

The stock Hayabusa computer uses throttle position and rpm at high load to determine injector time. This means that if flow is improved, it will not know to add more fuel. The billet velocity stacks work best with more fuel at high rpm.

Chet

PS - Ed give me a call if you want to try a set out on your bike.

Offline bbqb4racin

• Rider
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2006, 06:31:04 PM »
Ok, well, I guess that's why I asked the question. I didn't know that the fuel maps were different between cylinders. Makes more sense now. Would changing the stacks make a worthwhile difference with this small (40-50hp) dry system? Or would I just be pullin my thing thing?
And back to the small box mod. Is it worth it at this point? I like HP but I don't want low end throttle response to suffer. Ideas, opinions? Thanks.

BLACK051K

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2006, 07:41:45 PM »
Another reason for the 2 center stacks being taller is 2 center cylinders run hotter and are mapped a bit richer . In a way it works out they get cooler air quicker than 2 outside stacks.

Offline h22AccordTurbo

• Rider
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2006, 03:02:14 PM »
Your going to have a hard time mounting that bottle in the trunk with the solenoid attached to it..just mount it in the tail near the rear brake mastercylinder reservoir..

CHET,Yes those would help and Ive seen a wet kit mounted right into the stacks,and You could do a dry that way also..that would be kool and hit hard!!

Yo E, Im actually mounting it right off the passenger peg. 

This is going to be nice!  :lol: