Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Has anyone warped their stock front Busa rotors?  (Read 8396 times)

Offline Dwight-PA

• Mad Post Whore
Has anyone warped their stock front Busa rotors?
« on: November 10, 2002, 06:36:00 PM »
Just wondering because a friend of mine who also has a 99 Busa warped his front rotors and another friend of mine who has a 2001 Aprilia just recently warped his.

What caused your particular warp? Did it just seem to suddenly be noticable one day or did it warp from a heavy or high speed slow down?

Did you replace with OEM or aftermarket rotors?

Offline Sonic Boom

• Rider
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2002, 07:41:00 PM »
Yep, mine are warped to hell now after about 34K miles, but it was a gradual thing working its way up from a slight vibration to suspension-compressing pulses.  Yeah, I waited too long.  I bought a pair of used rotors from a board member but haven't put them on yet.  I would've bought a new pair of EBCs or Brakings or something e;se, but money is kinda tight right now.

Offline NorCalBusa

• Rider
  • I don't page down
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2002, 09:28:00 PM »
Heat causes it.

When you brake, all that energy has to go somewhere and it's to the pads and rotor.  I think canyon carving/road racing (braking before turn entries) is more likely to do it than straight stuff (just coast down).  Very grabby pads (HH+) stop you great, but they also build heat faster with less lever pressure.

I've warped two rotors.

Offline Busaman

• Rider
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2002, 09:48:00 PM »
Yep, I warped mine.  But I guess things like that can be expected after going off Guard Rail Cliff at Deal's Gap.

And, yes I did just notice it instantaniously.    
Busaman

Offline Twisted

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Apocalyptic Whore
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2002, 09:50:00 PM »
my rear warped or came warped? ate pads at 400 miles?

Offline gixerman

• Rider
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2002, 10:41:00 PM »
I do alot of canyon riding on my 600 and both my front rotors have a slight warp to them.  I just priced front stock rotors and was told they are $204 bucks each.  Ouch.  I'm thinking of getting a good used pair.  I just can't afford new ones and I am getting a slight pulsation from the front brakes.  
If you see me in your mirror move out of my way.

Offline Dwight-PA

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2002, 11:27:00 PM »
Wouldn't aftermarket rotors be a better choice? It seems that many are slightly lighter and some may be cheaper as well. I'd be afraid to purchase any used rotors as I might be wasting money on rotors that are already warped! Fortunately, my rotors are still fine but then I always time my high speed runs so I can let off the throttle and simply coast down to speed with only an occasional slight need for brakes as I approach any traffic. I still have the original front brake pads, have over 13,000 miles and at least half of my front brake pads still remain.  

Offline busasteven

• Post Whore
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2002, 03:25:00 AM »
mine hasn't warped yet..

knock on wood...

"This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness."
-Dalai Lama

Offline NorCalBusa

• Rider
  • I don't page down
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2002, 09:47:00 AM »
Me too.  I think instead of buying stockers, I'd talk to a couple of the aftermarket brake guys and get something better suited.  From the little I know, they are about the same as new/stock rotors.

I felt disconcerting vibration when they were a mere .004 out.  Suzuki says they are fine up to .008- but I can't imagine that would be okay.

I can't imagine the rear warping, I only use mine for dirt/gravel, to settle the bike on sweepers and u-turns...all very light applications.  Sounds like there is some defect in yours.

Offline CuriousMike

• Rider
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2002, 12:22:00 PM »
OH...

That's what's been causing that pulsing feeling in my front end...

Doh.

Offline TaoBusa

• Post Master
    • Yorihey.com
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2002, 12:47:00 PM »
I think mine are warped. After installing the EBC HHs, they kept going "Shhh-shhh-shhh-shhh-shhh-shhh..." They still grab and stop very well, though.

Offline Velociraptor

• Rider
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2002, 04:11:00 PM »
I probably warped one or both of the stock fronts. I was getting some pulsing/grabbing at slow speeds. I got some wave rotors and everything was smooth again. I think there are places that can fix warped discs. The guys at Aurora Suzuki said that the wave rotors can be fixed but I didn't catch who does it.

Offline StretchedOutBusa

• Rider
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2002, 04:12:00 PM »
"IM HERE FOR A GOOD TIME"

Offline StretchedOutBusa

• Rider
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2002, 04:17:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by StretchedOutBusa:
MINE WARPED ALSO , AFTER I GOT THEM POLISHED AT THE SAME SHOP !BUT OH WELL!!!! LIVE AND LEARN,  

WENT WITH WAVE ROTORS AND VERY HAPPY!
"IM HERE FOR A GOOD TIME"