Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Buying this used Busa OK?  (Read 4227 times)

Offline Papaya9

• Rider
Buying this used Busa OK?
« on: July 07, 2003, 06:23:00 PM »
If you fellows can give me any ideas here I'd appreciate it:)  I am looking at a '99 Busa now and here are the preliminary findings:

-Looks/claimed to be in near mint condition
-7,000 miles
-Only mod is the Yosh cans
-(2nd Owner) says it was babied
-Keeps saying he'd like to buy it back one day(*)
-Has had it for 2 years,
-doesn't ride it anymore (health reasons)
-Had it to 120 mph before (max)
-Says will pay for next service when bought
-wants $7,650 for it
-seems like nice guy

Can anyone suggest anything that I should find out before buying this bike?  Kind thanks again,

Kurtiss  

Offline AncientRgn

• Rider
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2003, 06:26:00 PM »
Take it for a ride and see if he is bullshitting you. I wouldnt buy a bike that I have never seen/rode.

Offline slamminbusa

• Post Whore
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2003, 06:28:00 PM »
2 things....

120 Max is bullshit........You get to 120 so frickin fast that you don't even know it...

Price is too high..You can get a modded 2001 for that price if you look around.
9.22 at 156.5.... 2001 Black/Silver BDE Gen3, Drop in Yosh's, Large Box Mod, Air shifter, Stock length..Spray?

2005 GSXR 1000..Black/Yellow..Spencer Links..Devil High Pipe...9.96 at 141.5........SHITTY CLUTCH!!!

PLENTY OF BLING, BABY!.............

Offline Papaya9

• Rider
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2003, 06:35:00 PM »
Ancient-  I will definitely test drive.  Mahalo!

Slammin'-  I think he would've done beyond this speed accidentally!

Thanks

Offline WickedSpeed

• Post Whore
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2003, 06:43:00 PM »
I'd stay away from babied motors, they're not properly broken in.    

-Wicked
Quote from: 02SE
I nominate "Wickedspeed" (Paul) as the official SH.org mascot.  :D

Offline HP

• Post Whore
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2003, 07:31:00 PM »
Yeah no shit that 120 max sounds fishy. Sometimes they pour it on a little thick when theyre desperate for a sale.

Youll find out shit thats wrong with it after you get it believe me, I bought mine used and the guy said it wasnt down.

After I bought it upon further inspection I realized the clutch master cylinder was scratched in a manner that it had have been a horrible slide.

Offline crazybill

• Mad Post Whore
    • www.PortTechHeads.com
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2003, 04:37:00 AM »
if its copper.. buy it  
“Nobody can be so amusingly arrogant as a builder who has just discovered an old idea and thinks it is his own.”

Rocket_Cowboy

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2003, 09:24:00 AM »
Definitely ride it and see if you can't get a mechanic to look at it.

You said the guy you're buying it from is the 2nd owner ... you have no idea how the original owner rode the thing. Having the guy say that he wants to be able to buy it back sets off a BS alert in my mind.

You probably won't be able to drop the motor and look at the internals, but just check basic maintenance things like brake fluid (color and levels), cleanliness under the fairings (no spilt oil from the filter during the last change), brake pad where, hose/cable condition, etc. There are parts that need to be replaced every 2 or 4 years instead of based on milage(fuel line, brake lines, clutch/throttle cables ... things that just get old and rot), so check those to see if the current owner has been keeping up with that.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Offline Big E

• Post Whore
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2003, 10:07:00 AM »
$7650 is a bit too high for a 99 model.  Keep looking around.

suzuki4life

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2003, 10:30:00 AM »
Where ya at? If you're close enough I'll come check it out with ya. I buy used bikes quite often.

As for a '99, yep kinda high. He should be down around 6500. Look around you can find '01's + for that much.

Taking it to 120 might had helped seat the rings. Saying the bike was nevered revved with a load on it is actually a bad thing. I love hearing about how people baby their stuff and can't figure out why it causes them problems down the road, but their buddy constantly races his and does wheelies etc. and his doesn't burn a drop of oil.

Offline Scotty

• Post Whore
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2003, 02:07:00 PM »
Buy mine...      2001 for $6950.  Never been over 55      Im too far away but if you want I do have a 2001 for sale.

Offline Papaya9

• Rider
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2003, 05:55:00 PM »
Thanks to each of you for your suggestions, I really appreciate it.  I am going to bail on the bike and wait about a half year or until I can find one that doesn't seem suspect.  Take care,

K

Offline 396

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2003, 09:50:00 PM »
I got a salvage title 2001 for $6500. I have only been 135mph on it. Got a time slip to prove it.     Blue and Silver email me if you are interested!