Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: rear brakes  (Read 7712 times)

Offline dave419

• Post Whore
rear brakes
« on: July 07, 2003, 03:42:00 PM »
my rear brakes are only lasting about 4k miles could there be aproblem with caliper ?  
Drag Racer

Offline Chainstretcher

• Post Whore
    • Chainstretcher
rear brakes
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2003, 03:54:00 PM »
When you change the pads, make sure you push the pistons all the way back in.  If you don't, they'll drag constantly and wear out really quick.  4K miles isn't unreasonable if you do a lot of rear braking -- mine usually last 7 - 8K miles.
Get over it!

Offline Charlie D

• Rider
rear brakes
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2003, 04:02:00 PM »
Rear brakes.....who needs 'em?!?  

Offline Chainstretcher

• Post Whore
    • Chainstretcher
rear brakes
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2003, 04:08:00 PM »
Uhhh ... me      Something about jamming on the front brakes and fighting it through a tight curve just doesn't suit me.  God put rear brakes on a bike for a reason -- use 'em  
Get over it!

Offline Kirk

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
rear brakes
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2003, 04:37:00 PM »
What's a rear brake?

At the rate I'm going, mine OE rear pads are going to last forever. I'm coming up on 30K miles and they still look fine.

Chainstretcher- If you use the front brake too heavily while banked over, you may low-side. You fall about a foot and follow your bike into the ditch. If you use the rear brake too heavily while banked over, you may high-side. You will pole-vault up and over, and your bike will follow you into the ditch. Getting run over by a 550lb motorcycle could be painful.  
-Kirk

Offline WayneE

• Mad Post Whore
  • Habitual linestepper
rear brakes
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2003, 04:46:00 PM »
I think Kirk's description is dead on        The extreme front wheel weight bias of sportbikes, especially when braking, make the rear brake useless.  The only time I use my rear brake is while riding in the rain and if I'm on a slippery surface like gravel/loose dirt roads.

My stock rear pads/rotor will last forever    

Offline dave419

• Post Whore
rear brakes
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2003, 06:32:00 PM »
sorry kirk i just do hard street riding from time to time but mainly drag racin this just seems premature wear im pulling them apart tonite to clean an ckeck caliper STILL HAVE THE ORIGNAL FRONTS ! 9K MILES
Drag Racer

Offline dave419

• Post Whore
rear brakes
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2003, 06:35:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Charlie D:
Rear brakes.....who needs 'em?!?    LOOKING FOR ATECHANICAL ANSWER
Drag Racer

Offline Heyabuza

• Post Master
rear brakes
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2003, 06:47:00 PM »
I think the "technical answer" you're looking for may be more in your riding style than a mechanical problem with your bike. Just how much do you use your rear brake, anyway? I assume I don't need to remind you that 90% or more of your braking power is in the front brakes on any sport bike. I think if you're wearing out rear brakes that much, you're using them too much and not using your fronts enough. Just my $.02

Unless of course you're backing it in to corners with reckless abandon using the rear brake.    

Oh, and like everyone else who's replied, I hardly use my rear brake at all, only low speed manuevering or in gravel, etc.

Offline dave419

• Post Whore
rear brakes
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2003, 06:54:00 PM »
i use them with front every time i stop but there is a lot of drag on rear wheel
Drag Racer

Offline BlueCat!

• Post Master
rear brakes
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2003, 07:17:00 PM »
I use 'em all the time, cos I'm in traffic most of the time. Low speed stability, 'U' turns, slippery surfaces... there's nothing better. I'm about to upgrade the pad to a HH. I also think you get a more controlled stop using both brakes.
Sandy fan!

Up to my neck in shit...standing on your shoulders.

Offline Kirk

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
rear brakes
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2003, 08:02:00 PM »
Here's a technical answer:

Because the front brake has plenty of power to lift the back wheel off the ground. What good is the rear brake going to do you then?  
-Kirk

Offline ZEUS

• Mad Post Whore
rear brakes
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2003, 08:53:00 PM »
If you are experinceing alot of drag or heat from your rear brake you may have a sticking caliper and that needs to be repaired rear brakes do wear out faster than the fronts though

Offline dave419

• Post Whore
rear brakes
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2003, 09:18:00 PM »
i agree kirk but im not road racin i found that my rotor may be the culprit it has a bad spot in it. thanx for all in put  
Drag Racer

Offline 02SE

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
rear brakes
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2003, 11:14:00 PM »
Kirk, if you think you can't use the rear brake in a roadracing situation you should talk to nicky hayden.  He had a SIX PISTON REAR CALIPER on his rc-51 superbike. I think it's fair to say his bike riding abilities exceed most people's. I remember reading an article that stated he usually wore out the pads during a race. Can you say "backing it in"  

Offline Kirk

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
rear brakes
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2003, 03:41:00 PM »
I'm not Nicky, and neither are you.  
-Kirk

Offline Chainstretcher

• Post Whore
    • Chainstretcher
rear brakes
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2003, 04:13:00 PM »
I'm no Nicky Hayden either.  Suppose it's just a matter of personal preference how much you use the rear brake.  Unless you've got much experience (read: Kirk) jamming on the front brakes leaning over then you can screw up real quick.  There's so much power available on the front brake and so little traction when leaning that it's easy to mash a smidgen too hard and end up in a ditch.  As far as high-side, low-side Kirk is exactly right.  You're much more likely to high-side using the rear brake in a curve.  My personal preference to scrub off a few MPH in a curve, however, is to use the rear ever so slightly.  When (and eventually it will happen) the back tire washes out I get on the throttle quickly and spin it through the rest of the curve.  That's just the way I do it -- if it's the wrong way I'll deal with it later    

As to the original thread, if you'll carefully press the pistons all the way in, the rear brakes will give you many miles of enjoyment.
Get over it!

Offline Dwight-PA

• Mad Post Whore
rear brakes
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2003, 04:48:00 PM »
My rear pads last about the same as Chainstretcher's, 7,000 to 8,000 miles. While they're not down to the metal or even the wear limit by that time, I don't use any pad down to its wear limit. When the pads get too thin, too much heat is transferred through them to the bonding agent which can become too soft and allow a pad to be tossed. Once my pads are only about 40% that of new, I replace them.

My 1997 YZF1000R tossed one of its rear pads while just above the allowable tolerance to pass an inspection. A few weeks later I heard metal squealing when I applied the rear brake when coming home from work. Even though the rear rotor wasn't scared badly, for smooth operation I needed to replace the rear rotor at a cost of $180.00 as well as purchase new brake pads. That's why I no longer take brake pads down to their wear limitation. Pads are relatively cheap but rotors aren't.

Offline Oklahoma Bob

• Rider
rear brakes
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2003, 05:31:00 PM »
The only time i use the rear brake is when i need to scrub off some speed in a turn after fucking it up. It's not for everyone and you need to know how much you can apply. It's more of a feel than application. However, you will pay the price if you screw it up!

Offline 02SE

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
rear brakes
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2003, 06:43:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Kirk:
I'm not Nicky, and neither are you.  

I never said I was nicky, I was merely pointing out that you can use the rear brake.  

Offline Kirk

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
rear brakes
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2003, 12:28:00 PM »
But I think we have already established that I'm not Nicky either. So who exactly is it here that is skilled enough to use the rear brake safely while railing?
-Kirk

Offline Heyabuza

• Post Master
rear brakes
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2003, 12:41:00 PM »
quote:
But I think we have already established that I'm not Nicky either. So who exactly is it here that is skilled enough to use the rear brake safely while railing?

Me... riding my dual-sport on gravel roads... I back that thing in every chance I get, and slide it out!      

Offline Kirk

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
rear brakes
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2003, 02:38:00 PM »
Har, har.

I wouldn't call that "railing".

I grew up on dirt bikes and am not timid with the rear brake on a dirt bike, but that's not what we're talking about.
-Kirk

Offline Uriel

• Rider
rear brakes
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2003, 02:50:00 PM »
quote:
Getting run over by a 550lb motorcycle could be painful.  

I can, unfortunately, attest to that fact.  Getting run over by a busa is very painful and bad on the spleen, lungs, ribs and anything else in the way at the time.    

Offline Dwight-PA

• Mad Post Whore
rear brakes
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2003, 03:14:00 PM »
The original post wasn't asking about "if" or "when" to use their rear brake, it asked if there was something wrong because he only got 4,000 miles out of his pads. The argument for or against rear brake usage isn't necessary. I suggest another thread for that one.

Those that use their rear brake to some degree (and I have successfully for 28 years now) should continue doing so as it works for them and those that choose not to use their rear brake and have done so successfully should continue as they have as it works for them.

The rear brake is available for those who know how and where to use it. It's actuated independently of the front so it can be used if so desired to assist in slowing at moderate to leisurely paces (thereby making the front rotors dissipate even less heat which reduces warpage possibilities) and if nothing else, they can serve as a fail safe (although nowhere comparable to the stopping efficiency of front brakes for extremely fast stops) should the front brakes fail altogether from a brake line failure.

There is no absolute right or wrong especially for the street. Do what successfully works for you. Keep in mind, most of us are street riding and aren't riding to the absolute limits as called for on the track.