Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Bye Bye R1  (Read 3279 times)

Offline hegidio

• Rider
    • http://www.sublimedirectory.com
Bye Bye R1
« on: July 08, 2003, 05:44:00 PM »
Hey all.  There's not too many folks in my neck of the woods on crotch rockets, so when I come across one, I like to ride with em and talk.  Most of the guys around here have cruisers, and ya'll know, they're no fun to ride with.  Anyways, I came across a guy this past weekend in my small town riding a R1.  Well, we got out on the highway to do it to it and he did some impressive wheelies.  But......after his little show we did 3 roll ons at about 70mph.  I let him have the jump all 3 times, and when I did get on it, I just walked away from him.  I thought he was riding an R6 at first.      He couldn't even come close to staying with me.  His bike had micron exaust and a few other extras.  I ride a 2002 SE all stock except for the TRE mod i installed.  I know ya'll probably know how a 'busa can smoke an R1, but I didn't think it would be that ugly.  It was my first time up against one.  Just had to tell it.
Drive that motherf*cker!

Offline HP

• Post Whore
Bye Bye R1
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2003, 08:28:00 PM »
Thats funny, cause theres a guy with an 02 R6 over here with a strap, pipe/header, and he changed his sprockets. Well we lined up at the drag strip and he ran a 10.5@125 against my 10.6@135. But stock yeah a busa will pretty much walk away from an R1.

Offline ZEUS

• Mad Post Whore
Bye Bye R1
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2003, 12:50:00 AM »
Firebusa sounds like he beat you and not your bike

Offline HP

• Post Whore
Bye Bye R1
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2003, 01:20:00 AM »
Yeah, the best I could manage with my bike is a 10.3@136 mph with a 1.7 60ft. It dynoed 159, with the mods it has that is low. I made numerous runs on it and granted Im not the best but I have some experience on it. I had someone else ride it with a busa as well, he weighs 40 lbs less than me and with a 1.6 60 ft he did a 10.3@136 mph as well. He said the power wasnt up to par, and it seems most busas are over 140mph at sea level. Yeah so he beat me but if my bike was running right I dont think that would be the case even with a shitty 60 ft.

Offline Mileageking

• Mad Post Whore
Bye Bye R1
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2003, 04:26:00 PM »
I rode a brand new R1 the other day hammered it pretty good came back almost laughing it has no power! the guy was afraid to try my busa. What do they have? seat of the pants it felt like a little over 120 hp?
Super happy friends making happy fun time

Offline Dwight-PA

• Mad Post Whore
Bye Bye R1
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2003, 05:01:00 PM »
I had a 99 R1 and even my 98 ZX9 would slaughter it once the R1 hit 120 MPH or so. R1's are horrible top speed sportbikes. Even tucked under its crotch-sized windscreen like a clam in its shell, the drag at 150+ MPH is absolutely horrendous. In nearly 3 years of owning my 99 R1, I never went faster than 156 MPH on it and that's simply unheard of coming from me. I don't think twice about hitting a quick 165 to 170+ MPH speed but not on my R1.

R1's were never meant to be conquerors of top speed. They were designed more for their sleek poser points and silky smooth carburetion which was second to none and made them a joy to ride.

Even so, I still enjoyed my R1 at less than stellar speeds and it was really fun on the back roads and for wheelies. However, I'd take my 01 GSXR1000 over my 99 R1 any day. The gixxer's just plain better in every way except possibly the R1's sleekness factor. I still think the GSXR1000 has a great appearance. Knowing what it can do just makes ya love it!  

The R1 was advertised as having the aerodynamic drag of a 250cc bike but that was if it had no rider on its seat. In reality, at high speed with a rider, its aerodynamics felt more like that of a bread-truck! Even cruising the highway at a steady 80 MPH or so for 45 minutes would take its toll on the fun factor.