Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Considering a Busa  (Read 12382 times)

Offline Papaya9

• Rider
Considering a Busa
« on: July 07, 2003, 12:03:00 PM »
Hello guys.   I am considering buying a Hayabusa soon and wonder if you can tell me something I need to know, or, if I'm getting in over my head.

Back in '84 I bought a 900 Ninja as my first bike ever.  I was rather conservative on this bike--Never wheelied, never went over 120, Smoked the back tire twice.  I never had an accident, but came very close and scared the shit out of myself (My own fault-- I passed a truck on a double line of a two-lane, sweeping, limited sight distance turn-- very stupid!).  I put about 14,000 total miles on the bike in 10 months.  

My question is, having been off a bike for nearly 19 years, do you fellows think this bike might be too much for me?  I still intend to be very cautious(overcautious is safe to say) if I do get one.  I am just afraid that the Hayabusa might be unpredictable in its power delivery and I'll lose it.  I am not an apexcarver, but more of a straight-line accelerator.   Where I live is very congested (MD-DC area), but I will probably ride mostly at evenings or night.   All replies will be much appreciated. Thanks!

Offline Scotty

• Post Whore
Considering a Busa
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2003, 12:08:00 PM »
you should be fine.  Power delivery is VERY smooth and predictable.  Really one of the best sport bike/sport touring bikes out there.  The bike is a lot like the 84 Ninja that you had in that its a bigger sport bike.  I actually had an 84 NInja 900 and the bikes ares similar.  Lots of low end torque and fair handling.  Now the Busa is tons more refined than your old Ninja but they are both in the same category IMO.

rat

Considering a Busa
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2003, 12:26:00 PM »
Harleys are better the ones with tassels are the fast ones        
Busa will do you fine just take your time getting used to it.I been dragracing since 1980 and I like you am still cautious.Watch out in heavy traffic you can buy the farm then even if you dont make any mistakes  

Offline WayneE

• Mad Post Whore
  • Habitual linestepper
Considering a Busa
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2003, 12:33:00 PM »
It sounds like you did well on the Ninja, but an '84 900 Ninja couldn't keep up with today's 600cc bikes.  The Busa does not suffer fools and will pound you into the ground like a tent spike if you are an inexperienced rider.  Power delivery is smooth, but even the smallest amount of throttle opening will compress time and space like no other bike.

I also live in the DC Metro area.  I live in Frederick and work in Bethesda.  The 'Busa is a great commuter bike, top speed bike and corner carver  

IMO, I would not jump on a Hayabusa after a 19yr hiatus.  Either borrow a smaller bike to brush up on your skills or get a smaller bike for a season, blow the cobwebs out, sell the bike and buy a Hayabusa.

But remember, opinions are like assholes.  I say no and you'll hear people say that they bought a 'Busa as their first bike and did ok.  Take in the information and make your decision.  Either way, keep in touch.  I'm always getting together with friends in the area to ride.

Where are you in the area?

Offline crazybill

• Mad Post Whore
    • www.PortTechHeads.com
Considering a Busa
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2003, 12:37:00 PM »
i allways stress speed/braking distance , most to new riders . i know your not new but youll be suprised how fast a busa accelerates and while it has good brakes.... know your braking distance and youll be fine !
“Nobody can be so amusingly arrogant as a builder who has just discovered an old idea and thinks it is his own.”

Offline mach1mike

• Post Whore
Considering a Busa
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2003, 12:54:00 PM »
I'd say to go for it. Maturity is one of the key necessities in riding a Hayabusa. The power delivery is smooth and predictable. The only aspect of the bike that scared me a few times was the new territory I was in during full throttle acceleration. The front tire will carry just barely touching the pavement all the was through second. Someone new to the bike may not notice this and is in for a surprise when he tries to manouver. Also, you will be doing over the "Ton" when you think you are still within the speed limit.....it is that smooth and fast.

Offline jrrendon

• Post Whore
Considering a Busa
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2003, 01:25:00 PM »
I too was like you in that I had not rode since 1990, and that was on a Honda VFR500.  I purchased a Busa in May and I love it.  I say go for it.  The bike commands respect, you'll see.  I was fortunate in that I had a friend let me ride his before I bought mine and I was hooked.  Just one warning, the throttle is touchy and will kill you.

Good luck....    
Come big or do not come at all.

Offline Papaya9

• Rider
Considering a Busa
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2003, 01:26:00 PM »
Wow. Thanks to all you guys who have responded.   What you are telling me gives me a better perspective of things.  Hopefully I can get the seller down to $6500 (for a '99)  
I was just quoted $2000 a year for insurance(Geico)!!!  I have a clean record too, and I'm 40 yrs old.  Can anyone recommend a good insurance company?  Thanks again,

K

Offline Charlie D

• Rider
Considering a Busa
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2003, 01:33:00 PM »
Hey Kurtiss,

You should be good to go on the Busa. The ones I worry about are the young-uns that just watched Biker Boyz and decide to run out and buy the Busa. I've had  mine for about 6 mos now and have nothing but good experiences.I've been riding 20+ years and have never ridden anything like this. I am about 5'10" and 160lbs and have no trouble at all taming the beast. The throttle works both ways, so it won't just take off on it's own and leave you for dead. It will definately take you by surprise the first time you wind it into the power band. The Busa launches like no other bike, and if you aren't prepared for it, it can scare the shit out of you. You better be holding on!! Once you get used to how it accelerates, you will develope a deep respect for how awesome a machine this truely is. Plus, you get this cool board to find all types of advice and suggestions, and an occasional smart-ass comment.  

Offline Charlie D

• Rider
Considering a Busa
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2003, 01:35:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Kurtiss:
Wow. Thanks to all you guys who have responded.   What you are telling me gives me a better perspective of things.  Hopefully I can get the seller down to $6500 (for a '99)  
I was just quoted $2000 a year for insurance(Geico)!!!  I have a clean record too, and I'm 40 yrs old.  Can anyone recommend a good insurance company?  Thanks again,

K

State Farm.

Offline HP

• Post Whore
Considering a Busa
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2003, 01:46:00 PM »
Go for it, if your confident and you live in a decent area try getting a personal loan and then just getting liability insurance. I pay $438. a year for liability. But if you want to have the bike covered for theft and if your unsure if your gonna rear end someone get full coverage.

The bike is scary when you open it up, just make sure that when you do your perfectly straight if your tire is cold. I almost high sided it a few times having the back tire cut out from under me hard upon doing this. And yeah your front tire will begin to barely skim the pavement in the powerband, mine does and Im extended 4.5 inches.

Other than that, you should be perfectly fine and it is truly a wonderful bike. Comfortable, fast, and damn good looking too!

Good luck!

Offline Naptown1300

• Rider
    • P&C Extra
Considering a Busa
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2003, 01:47:00 PM »
hey charlie d.. whats up guy.. longtime no here from..get with me wanted to ride..

Tony
where the hell is catwomen the bitch fell off agian

Offline nickmp4071

• Rider
    • http://www.nick-liz.com
Considering a Busa
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2003, 02:41:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Charlie D:
quote:
Originally posted by Kurtiss:

K

State Farm.

Ditto on State Farm   $340/yr full coverage.

...but I had to promise to stay under 65 and never let the front wheel leave the ground.

'03 Blk & Sil - no mods, wife still in shock      

Busa 03

Considering a Busa
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2003, 03:13:00 PM »
Kurtiss,

I'm a new 03 Busa owner and I was surprised how tame the Busa was at low RPM/speeds and around town. I had an Aprilia Mille just before the Busa and it had a "snappier" low throttle response than the Busa.

I'm finally getting up in the powerband more consistantly now that I have about 600 miles on the bike. I got to tell you, above 7000 RPM in 3rd & 4th gear, the acceleration is unreal. It picks up speed so fast and smoothly, before I knew it, I was doing 140 MPH!

I'm just taking it somewhat slow until I get used to that acceleration in the powerband. You have to experience it to realize it.

My bike is bone stock. You guys with the NOS and Turbo's must have a speed problem. I could see a pipe, TRE, PC3, and maybe an airbox mod, but I can't imagine why you would want to go any faster than what the bike already does.

Just my .02

Mike

Offline Papaya9

• Rider
Considering a Busa
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2003, 03:20:00 PM »
You're really telling me what I want to hear, 03!
That is my main concern--  Like those Roadrunner cartoons that show Wile E. sitting in mid-air while his rocket goes shooting out of sight.  Will keep u guys posted:)

Kurtiss

Offline XTREEM1

• Post Master
Considering a Busa
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2003, 03:24:00 PM »
Sounds like you are smart enough to know that it can kick you if it wants. So get it and just take it easy. I bought my second Busa in 01 and a friend bought one a week later, he them went on a ride with me and some friends and put it in the ditch trying to keep up.. he did not ride with us for the rest of the year and now he is riding with us... ask him why and it is because he was not comfortable on it with other people in a group.. trying to stay up so he took some time to get better and now he hangs with us for the most part but he also knows when not to hang with us... it is all about knowing what you can and can not handle.. Have fun hope this helps.  
God Hates Cowards

Offline Buster

• Rider
Considering a Busa
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2003, 03:29:00 PM »
I too purchased a brand new 84 Ninja 900...rode it for 3 years and 26,000 miles.

If you survived 14,000 on that bike a Busa is the bike for you!

They sold 10 Ninja 900's at the dealership I bought mine back in 84', five owners never seen the second year........

You will fit right in on the Busa  
best e.t. 8.803@158.6mph
 1397cc

Offline Charlie D

• Rider
Considering a Busa
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2003, 03:31:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Naptown1300:
hey charlie d.. whats up guy.. longtime no here from..get with me wanted to ride..

Tony

Hey Tony,

I was out a couple Friday's ago around Broad Ripple and the usual spots. Didn't see you. I'd have to be blind to miss that bike!!!!  Didn't go out this weekend because of the storms.  I'll look for you this weekend if it doesn't storm again. If this keeps up, I'm going to look around and see if anyone has modified their Busa to double as a Waverunner!!!!!  

Offline Papaya9

• Rider
Considering a Busa
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2003, 03:38:00 PM »
Xtreme-  I definitely know what your friend went thru, because that is what nearly happened to me the day I almost crashed.

Buster-  I didn't know 900 Ninjas got trashed so often, because in retrospect they didn't seem that powerful.  I was considering buying another one, but I have always admired the Busa.  Thanks and take care.

Offline Buster

• Rider
Considering a Busa
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2003, 03:53:00 PM »
The ninja 900 and Fj1100 had the quickest 1/4 magazine times that year. At the track the only stock bike of the year I ever had a problem with was the Fj.

Riders in my neck of the woods were crashing the 900's frequently.
best e.t. 8.803@158.6mph
 1397cc

Offline jrrendon

• Post Whore
Considering a Busa
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2003, 05:42:00 PM »
Kurtiss,
lie your ass off on the insurance quote, you change it online to get it lower. I.E. you park it in the garage, no rides to work, no passengers, etc.  should get below 1,000 a year for good record and long time rider.  take the AMA too...
Come big or do not come at all.

Offline Uglyoldrider

• Post Whore
Considering a Busa
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2003, 06:51:00 PM »
Just show her respect and she will return the favor. Watch out for assholes... but you knew that already  

Offline 02SE

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
Considering a Busa
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2003, 07:20:00 PM »
If you do end up with the busa, keep one thing in mind. It is very deceptive in the way it builds speed. It's geared taller than most bikes, and is very smooth. So you think your just putting along, when the reality is your going alot faster than you thought.

Just to put things in perspective, an '84 900 ninja produced around 95 rwhp, and weighed about 570 lbs. with a full tank of gas.

A busa makes 155 to 160 rwhp, and weighs 550 lbs. with a full tank.

As far as insurance, I have state farm. $330.00 a year, full coverage.

Good luck  

Offline HP

• Post Whore
Considering a Busa
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2003, 07:22:00 PM »
Also, heres an interesting fact about the age of a bike and insurance. I couldve gotten an 02 busa but the insurance was $1k more a year for full coverage as opposed to the 99. Funny how other than the fact that the 02 is electronically governed to 185 they are they are making the same power. Oh yeah the 99 with its aluminum subframe is actually 9lbs lighter and isnt governed yet it has a lower premium for insurance, go figure.

So your making a smart move with the 99.

Offline Steve A

• Universal Post Whore
Considering a Busa
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2003, 07:34:00 PM »
The reason the insurance for the newer vehicle is higher is because the Insurance Co. has more exposure to loss with a newer vehicle.

Price only PD and PL (Property Damage and Public Liability) and you will find it will be the same for all years.

If you can pay cash and fade the loss in a total - just carry the PD and PL - would highly recommend the largest coverage you can get on Uninsured Motorist however.  We have more than our share of uninsureds in Texas.

Offline Papaya9

• Rider
Considering a Busa
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2003, 08:29:00 PM »
Thanks again, you guys!!

Offline JST4FN

• Rider
Considering a Busa
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2003, 09:13:00 PM »
I just wanted to throw my two cents in here. I think everybody gave good advice. Respect is the key to anything this fast. If you respect it and ride responsible you'll love it. In all honesty it is my first and only streetbike(took 10 years of convincing the wife    ),but because of my age and respect for it,it has been a great experience. I say go for it!! There is not a more comfortable bike out there that I could find!!

Good luck
Mike
2002 Hayabusa SE- soon to be turbo'd
2005 Mustang GT- 5.4, 6 speed, twin T58 turbos, goal 1000hp
2001 Ford Lightning- built motor, 3.4 whipple

Offline Todd

• Mad Post Whore
  • JunkScience.com
    • Hayabusa vs ZX-12R
Considering a Busa
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2003, 09:16:00 PM »
quote:
If you can pay cash and fade the loss in a total - just carry the PD and PL - would highly recommend the largest coverage you can get on Uninsured Motorist however. We have more than our share of uninsureds in Texas.
I'm not sure how is in in Texas now since I haven't lived there since 81' but in our state Uninsured Motorist Coverage only provides *Medical* coverage if the other party has no insurance.  It doesn't cover property damage at all.  No wonder it's so cheap.  The only way to recover damages for property in a case like this would be through civil litigation.
Liberals always manage to take the position that most undermines American security.

Offline Castor Troy

• Rider
Considering a Busa
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2003, 02:57:00 PM »
Originally posted by Billy Busa:
[QB]Harleys are better the ones with tassels are the fast ones          

Be nice Billy...  
It's better to have it and not need it... than to need it and not have it!!!

Offline Uglyoldrider

• Post Whore
Considering a Busa
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2003, 03:04:00 PM »
Harleys have tassels so you can tell if it is moving:)

Offline WayneE

• Mad Post Whore
  • Habitual linestepper
Considering a Busa
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2003, 05:59:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by UglyOldRider:
Harleys have tassels so you can tell if it is moving:)

HAHAHA, that's great (and soooo true), UOR