Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Yeah, the guys at Velocity dont know how to weld.  (Read 44118 times)

Offline Lofty

• Post Whore
Yeah, the guys at Velocity dont know how to weld.
« on: February 17, 2006, 06:31:48 PM »
Their fabrication and design suck as well.

:wink:

"I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees"

Offline smithabusa

• Boost By Smith
  • Site Supporter
  • Post Apocalyptic Whore
    • Boost By Smith
Re: Yeah, the guys at Velocity dont know how to weld.
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2006, 06:35:37 PM »
I like the powder coated, looks nice :D

You ever going to get back into the Busas again Lofty?  You had one of the nicest :D
Official Site Supporter

www.boostbysmith.com

Offline ROBOPTI

• Post Whore
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2006, 07:00:23 PM »
Lofty .... Ya know I'm good with you ... One of the few I'd break bread with ... You know that my Bro!!!

I'll just say this

I wish that weld-quality were retro-active .......... Fair enough ???? .... or the concern for the weld quality of the past were a huge concern

All good my brotha ... I know where ya come from .... Next beer is on me ... But ... I'm gonna have to disagree .... and YES , I have a biased opinion

NOONE !!! threw a bigger budget ... Noone  left at the alter as much other than you

Just my 2 cents my brotha ... Next beer on me
« Last Edit: February 17, 2006, 07:27:32 PM by ROBOPTI »
THE ULTRA GHETTO MACHINE ..... WORK IN PROGRESS

Offline Shamrock

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
    • Shamrock Racing
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2006, 07:02:17 PM »

:)

Offline ROBOPTI

• Post Whore
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2006, 07:23:51 PM »
Ya know ... The more I dwell .. The more unpleased I am

I really am .... I have a problem with aircraft tape in my plenum ... I have a problem with my fuel rail hanging on by a toe nail ... I have a problem with my wastegate blowing off .... and i have a BIG BIG problem with a generic "Send it back and I'll fix it" ... I like Barry ... I do ... Has been nothing short of hospitable towards me ... but my line in the sand is here my Bro .... and here it shall stand  ... and i have BIG BIG problem flying a flag and watching the cavalry marching the other direction leaving me all alone

Sorry Jeff .... That door was cracked open a hair

I'm all ears

It's was nice to hear from MH ... "What do ya want, what do ya need , and how can I help" ... That spoke volumes
« Last Edit: February 17, 2006, 07:28:09 PM by ROBOPTI »

Offline ROBOPTI

• Post Whore
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2006, 07:41:13 PM »
and ..... I GOT A BIG FUCKING PROBLEM WITH CREW THAT ASSEMBLED MY FUCKING BIKE KNOWING IT

I left a BLANK MOTHER FUCKING CHECK DOWN THERE ... DIDN'T GIVE A FUCK !!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT IT COST .... and I STILL ate the gremilns

I AM MORE than dis-pleased ... Jeff ... Divorce yourself from my comments my Brotha ... You got an A1 in my book

But you'd think when you're a told .... I DON'T GIVE A FUCK WHAT IT COST OR WHAT IT TAKES OR HOW LONG .... you'd get the whole enchilada

Yeah ... I have had a glass or 2 or Crown Reserve tonight ... BUT I AM FUCKING PISSED ...

All that effort ...

HOWEVER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Had it not happened ... I would not have run into Seb & MH on a 1-on-1 level .. and I could not be more pleased ... THANK GOD for their efforts

I shall never post on this thread again

I have vented all that I currently need to vent

OH ... I got a BIG FUCKING PROBLEM with a stock head gasket on a 2mm over piston kit ... BIG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My bridges are now burned ... My back is turned

Anyone that wants a piece of that ... open the fucking Padora's box that even Shakespear would pass on .. Cuz my receipts and Thesaurus are ready
« Last Edit: February 17, 2006, 07:53:20 PM by ROBOPTI »

Offline NLR-power and control

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2006, 07:55:44 PM »
 :bah:

Offline cstraubs1

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2006, 08:02:19 PM »
Kinda looks like a Trac to me? :?

Offline Shamrock

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
    • Shamrock Racing
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2006, 08:37:08 PM »
Kinda looks like a Trac to me? :?

ya but trac doesnt have inner braced  tubes

Offline jimmygsxr

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2006, 09:24:08 PM »
Web site please.
05 blue/silver gen3 pc3r air shifter nos lowered 4" over arm RPM lock up

Offline Lofty

• Post Whore
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2006, 09:44:34 PM »
Rob, relax buddy. My post topic was not aimed at you.

In all fairness though, many of the problems of which you speak were problems with Kevin and the way your bike was put together, not Velocity. You wouldnt have found any of those problems on my bike, that much I can tell you. Did Velocity have a period when some of the fab work coming out of the shop was below par.......I would be less than honest if I said no.

I think that you can see by these pictures, those days are past. You simply will not find an extended arm of higher quality.

If youre happy with the route you've chosen, god bless you and the best of luck, you deserve it.

Besides, I was just commenting on their new line of swing arms....nothing else.

Offline SLEEPERBUSA

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2006, 11:41:10 PM »
Are they fabbing the arm totally in house?
Like was said.
It sure looks like a Trac.
Looks good.
208.6mph/ Texas Mile. 10/24/2010

Offline Lofty

• Post Whore
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2006, 06:02:38 AM »
Yeah, the arm is totally theirs. The bars of aluminum stock are extruded somewhere else, the ends and fittings are CNC'ed somewhere else.....but all fab work is done in house.

It looks like a Trac, but thats where the similarity ends.

You wont see any clubfoot on any of these arms. That was a band aid to fix the fact that they weren't rigid enough in the first place. The internal ribbing on this design keeps the arm so rigid, it will not flex. Plus the external bracing on a Trac arm is a waste of aluminum tubing.....it does nothing but look like it makes your arm stronger. The bracing needs to go all the way to the front pivot point or the arm will just flex ahead of the bracing.

That plus the fact that the wait time on one of these will be considerably less and from what I hear, the price break will be much better. Trac has had the industry over the barrel for awhile....not anymore.

Rob, one other thing. Your situation leads people to believe that you were dealing with Velocity primarily. The fact is that Kevin built your bike. Kevin is not Velocity. You truely were not a Velocity customer. Kevins a nice guy that runs his shop out of a two car garage. He's not a fabricator, welder or even a bike builder. That blank check you wrote had Superkaos on it, not Velocity.

Most of the money spent on your bike was wheels, front end parts (which you could have paid off my house with :lol: ) engine parts and building and the price Kevin charged you to build the bike. Your dealings with Velocity ended after you bought the turbo system. Im not excusing any shoddy work, craftsmanship or welding regarding the turbo system itself, Im just saying that the overwhelmingly large portion of your expense account and the ultimate responsibility for the finished product of your bike, was on Kevin and Superkaos Performance.

Again brotha, you know we cool........ 8)

BTW, stop fucking around and put a fucking Motec on that bitch. Your bike is totally insane and it deserves nothing less than state of the art electronics!!!!

Get rid of that damn factory box!!

Offline Blackhawk

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2006, 08:14:21 AM »
I understand that much of the work on Rob's bike was done by SK.

But was the kit not produced by Velocity? I'm sure Kevin did not put aircraft tape in the plenum, or do the welding on the header, etc.
Anybody interested in "Spelunking" inside one of their headers?  :shock:

Not talking about the performance of the kits, just the quality of some of the fabrication. Maybe it's better now, maybe he's got somebody totally different than before doing his stuff...

So are these new arms going to be run on all the Velocity bikes this year?
PSI's Matters Racing
2003 Pro Street Hayabusa -- NLR Power/AMS Boost Control

Offline Rick Gregory

• Rider
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2006, 08:31:01 AM »
Is SK is still an authorized Velocity dealer/installer?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2006, 08:34:38 AM by Rick Gregory »

Offline Lofty

• Post Whore
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2006, 08:42:39 AM »
Blackhawk......aircraft tape on the plenum?

Aside from Barrys employees and himself, no one has spent as much time inside Velocitys shop as I have and Ive never seen aircraft tape on any bike that left there. I know mine didnt have any. What was it doing on his plenum?

I understand that much of the work on Rob's bike was done by SK.

No, ALL of the work on Robs bike was done by Kevin in his garage. Velocity never worked on that bike.

As far as weld quality, I cant argue with you there. I love Barry like a brother but its true, there was a brief period when the welds coming out of Velocity left something to be desired. As far as Robs header cracking, it very well may have been from some sub quality welds. However, like I told Rob, I saw with my own eyes a header sold to Barry by Seb, that I believe came from NLR Sweden or MCxpress, crack at the turbo and leave the entire turbo hanging in front of the bike. The only thing holding the turbo on was the plenum tube and the oil line.

My point is, sometimes that shit happens. It shouldnt, but it does and it does to everyone.

That being said, I think its obvious by looking at those pictures that the welding issue has been solved and yes, its being done by someone different.

As far as the swingarms, I cant imagine Barry running someone elses arm from now on.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2006, 08:45:48 AM by Lofty »

Offline Blackhawk

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2006, 08:45:24 AM »
Nice looking arms.
If they in fact increase the rigidty of the arm with the subtle design changes from a Trac arm, and could eliminate the need for a club-foot design.
PSI's Matters Racing

Offline Blackhawk

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2006, 08:48:44 AM »
Ya know ... The more I dwell .. The more unpleased I am

I really am .... I have a problem with aircraft tape in my plenum ... I have a problem with my fuel rail hanging on by a toe nail ... I have a problem with my wastegate blowing off .... and i have a BIG BIG problem with a generic "Send it back and I'll fix it"

Did I read that wrong?  I thought not...
And the pictures were none too pretty.  For a moment, I thought CSI might have to be called in, to do a complete investigation.   :?
PSI's Matters Racing

Offline Blackhawk

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2006, 08:50:08 AM »
That's becuase he said it was IN the plenum Jeff, not ON the plenum.

Maybe that's why you never saw it?
PSI's Matters Racing

Offline Lofty

• Post Whore
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2006, 09:04:40 AM »
I dont know.

Ive watched their plenums being fabbed up. Ive never seen aircraft tape being used. I cant imagine what it was there for. I cant imagine Barry doing it for any reason.

Waht purpose was it serving?

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2006, 09:06:23 AM »
Macintosh arms dont flex...mirror image ran their chromoly arm over 200mph and now they are running his alumipro arm. Which I personally think are the baddest arms available. He has more proven arms and has been doinig this longer than anyone! You can see where Barry has braced his arms like Macintosh

The aircraft tape was used to plug some holes that were next to the tapped holes for the straps....like maybe a rivet or something was in there on both sides, on the outside.

Macintosh alumi pro arm- 1375.00
Velocity arm-1530.00  (155.00 more )

same exact things except the mac arm comes with a roller for the chain.

Offline Blackhawk

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2006, 09:09:49 AM »
I dont know.

Ive watched their plenums being fabbed up. Ive never seen aircraft tape being used. I cant imagine what it was there for. I cant imagine Barry doing it for any reason.

Waht purpose was it serving?

Maybe Barry can answer that question? Maybe it was to prevent any leaks? Not my stuff, so I don't know...
PSI's Matters Racing

Offline Lofty

• Post Whore
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2006, 09:14:57 AM »
There was nothing wrong with the welding on my header and it had no spelunking in it.........I ground it out and polished the inside of the header myself.   8)

The only thing I wasnt happy with regarding my kit was the fuel rail.

This is the one that was on it. I felt it was rather cheap considering everything else on my bike was state of the art.

Thats why I went with one of Sebs rails, it is one of the nicest pieces of billet on the market.

The rest of the kit was top notch and the bike performed flawlessly once we got the issue with the crank trigger sorted out.

I can promise you, there was no aircraft tape anywhere near that plenum.

I miss that bitch. :no:

Offline Blackhawk

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2006, 09:17:28 AM »
I bet you do...  Time for another?
PSI's Matters Racing

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2006, 09:23:12 AM »
"I can promise you, there was no aircraft tape anywhere near that plenum"

yours our Robs?
Robs plenum was the billet back section and welded front.