Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Yeah, the guys at Velocity dont know how to weld.  (Read 44162 times)

Offline ROBOPTI

• Post Whore
Re: Yeah, the guys at Velocity dont know how to weld.
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2006, 09:31:48 AM »
Jeff ... I will NEVER EVER EVER get tired of seeing your bike ... I absolutely love it ... As I have stated NUMEROUS times ... 1 of my all time top 3 bikes EVER

I'm a tad more "sober" now ... Yes the build was done by Kevin .... No, I was not a "Velocity" customer ..... but man ..... I asked and begged and pleaded with all involved to get it right .... not get it done good enough

There were some big gremlins that jumped out when we took my bike apart ... which I don't think anyone involved in buliding mine ever expected that to happen did ya ....

It's a bitch ... cuz I like Barry ... I do ... But shit, why would he or Kevin let my bike roll out with that crap hiding under the skin ... and again .... it's not like I said "guys, I only have so much $$ so can ya cut some corners" ... but bro .... remember your old customers too ... We're still here

I agree Jeff, I have clouded the line between Barry & Kevin, but as someone who really REALLY promoted both ... i don't know ... I guess I thought I would get a "how's it goin" or "cool article ... maybe we can really make this super cool" or maybe "Hey ... we've really improved how bout we take a peek at what we can do" ... or "Damn Rob, you only spent $123,398,675,876,452,098 on the bike lets make sure this bitch is tight"

Even though I have dealt with that crew for years it's hard not to assume one is the other sometimes

BUT .... although it is one of the smallest gremlins we found ... I HAVE A MAJOR GIGANTIC HUGE F**KING PROBLEM with the BONE F**KING stock head gasket we found on my 2mm kit ,.... and NO that has ABSOLUTELY ZERO to do with Barry

So Velocity ... guys ... could ya not have done me a little better ... come on ... damn ... I even made own Velo stickers out of pride for what I assumed I had for that article... I know I may seem like a "whiner" right now ... but Barry would have to admit I NEVER complained or bitched ... I always stayed positive ..... I just a tad aggravated right now

SK ...  :evil: ... another day

THAT BEING SAID .... Great lookin arms .... I'll stick with my McIntosh ... but nice lookin work ...

Sorry to thread-jack ya Jeff

Jeff, when Seb & MH etc get this bitch done ... and it is going to be OFF THE HEEZY ... I'm throwin ya the keys ... You need a BIG BIG glass of BOOST my boy

« Last Edit: February 18, 2006, 09:36:02 AM by ROBOPTI »
THE ULTRA GHETTO MACHINE ..... WORK IN PROGRESS

Offline ROBOPTI

• Post Whore
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2006, 09:35:05 AM »

Boy ... I would have really liked to see that MOFO with some pretty Marvics on it . .... hehehehehe

Just love lookin at it
THE ULTRA GHETTO MACHINE ..... WORK IN PROGRESS

Offline DaveO

• Legacy Rider
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2006, 12:53:34 PM »
I agree, one of the best lookin bikes...even if it was Jeffs....LOL

Dave
220.312 at Maxton...ALL MOTOR

www.NewLimitsTuning.com

OFFICIAL SITE SPONSOR

Offline DJ

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2006, 01:34:10 PM »
You better HAND him those keys, or else I'm liable to intercept them in the air.

zoom zoom

:lol:

Do you have a kiss for Daddy?

Offline DarkFalcon

• Post Master
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2006, 01:37:01 PM »
1) Beautiful bike

2)

Velocity Distributors
Contact one of our certified and experienced distributors to purchase our hardware and for installation information. These systems produce extreme results and should be used responsibly. Click on their badges to visit their web sites.

Psycho Bike Performance
5315 Edinburgh Court
Lafayette, Indiana 47905
e-mail: frank@psychobike.com

Kevin Stan
1100 S.W. 128th Avenue
Pembroke pines Florida. 33027

3) A distributor typically enjoys an exclusive or semi-exclusive right to sell/market a product in an agreed upon geographic area. The distributor is hand- picked by the manufacturer to ensure balanced market coverage, professional representation, that sales targets will be met and that all required sales support services and functions will be provided to ensure customer satisfaction. Within limits, the distributor is an extension of the manufacturer; when it comes to the turbo and its installation, Barry and Kevin become one.

Offline grecco

• Universal Post Whore
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2006, 01:42:01 PM »

Boy ... I would have really liked to see that MOFO with some pretty Marvics on it . .... hehehehehe

Just love lookin at it
That is a sweet bike.  I've seen that bike on the org several times but I still love it.

Offline Lofty

• Post Whore
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2006, 02:33:46 PM »
Rob, you've obviously got legitamite gripes. With the money you dumped into your bike, I would want it absolutley perfect and would not have settled for less.

The headgasket issue is inexcusable. I cant even imagine finding that.

Again, I know you know, but for the people reading that dont know, no one from Velocity ever turned a single screw on that bike, including Barry. Barry sold Kevin the turbo system, thats it.

As far as the plenum issue, Seb....I meant my plenum pictured on my bike not having tape inside it. The plenum on Robs bike was a two piece design. The back half was CNC'ed I believe by Trevor Altman, the rest was fabbed at Barrys shop and welded up there. All I can say is that there is no aircraft (or any other kinda tape) used in the production of one of Barrys plenums. If that was inside the plenum, it was added after it left Barrys shop.

Rob, as far as your bike....you have to remember that at the time your bike was being finished, Barry was going through a lot. He was trying to keep his foot attached to the rest of his leg, he was in the middle of his racing season, hes trying to run his shop from a wheel chair and win his racing season, he's building race bikes, tuning and providing tech support to his customers.......its like juggling 25 balls with one hand tied behind your back.

Aside from that, hows he supposed to check the final build quality of your bike anyways? He cant take it from Kevins shop and accuse him of doing shitty work and go over it himself with a fine tooth comb. You and your bike was Kevins responsibility. For him to intervene would be like fuckin another mans wife.

Anyways, Im glad you got things going in the right direction. Seb will definately do you right.....his attention to detail is seconded only by my own.

:lol:

Seb, convince that boy to put some real electronics on that bike!!
"I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees"

Offline Lofty

• Post Whore
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2006, 02:37:15 PM »

Just love lookin at it

this is the only picture I have of it with the Marvics on it.

:waaaa:

THEMOTORHEAD

« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2006, 03:42:09 PM »
almost as as good as my mac

« Last Edit: February 18, 2006, 04:01:01 PM by THEMOTORHEAD »

Offline HSLD

• New User!
  • Where am I?
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2006, 03:49:58 PM »
Let me start by saying that I normally do not get involved with the ramblings of all of the engineers on discussion boards but I have a little knowledge on this subject so I will put in my 2 cents. I have worked in the aerospace industry and hold certs for Alum. Stainless and Steel. Let me also say up front have been thouroughly screwed by Dave Earl at Trac but now find myself defending him because I have a little first hand knowledge on the machine Dave is using to weld with.
    Here is what I see with these Velocity arms in comparison with a Trac. arm (I have not seen a Mcintosh). First with the simple point that a part in whole is only as strong as it's weekest link(the weld). The weld in the picture of the unfinished axle block is convex at the top because the weld is cold. It then becomes concave at the end because the heat has increased at the end an the weld penetration is greater. I am very familiar with the tig machine that Dave is using as I own one. The price of this machine keeps most from purchasing one. It is also no longer available. Miller has a replacement for this machine but no comparison. If you look at a weld on a Trac arm the bead width and height stays consistant because this welding machine without getting into how, allows for greater penetration with less heat, another benefit when welding heat treated material (another issue in itself). Second the two webs in the extrusion are fine but the I am guessing one inch that the inserts into the extrusion..... ? You would gain greater strength  by having the insert length three inches(this is a leverage issue) and getting rid of a web. This extra web is irrelevant in the bend area because these webs are cut completely through.Thirdly as for the comment about the gussets being useless. The comment is more useless. Not even worth arguing. In closing this seems to be more of the same from Velocity. More hype and salesmanship than quality. I am chiming in because I find It amusing that hype and bs sell more than quality common sense. Compare NLR products such as their intake plenum, fuel rail,and not to mention boost controller and dry sump to anything that Velocity has to offer. Same with this swingarm deal. If anyone would like to challenge this I can arrange for a stress test to be done on a Trac arm and the Velocity arm. I am willing to bet the Velocity arm will break before the Trac. arm due to weld quality.(Weekest link)

Offline busa200

• Post Whore
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2006, 04:09:37 PM »
youre wrong about the weakest link. generally the weld is stronger than the base metal.
259.85 m.p.h. at Maxton, built and tuned by DaveO

Offline grecco

• Universal Post Whore
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2006, 04:12:54 PM »
 :drink:

Offline Lofty

• Post Whore
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2006, 04:26:25 PM »
Well if you deal with Trac, do me a favor.....tell him to give me my four inch over black powder coated arm that he has had for almost two years. I sent it back to him two years ago this march for a re-weld in an area and Ive never seen it again.

I cant even get him on the phone to explain what ever happened to my arm in the first place.

THEMOTORHEAD

« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2006, 04:41:08 PM »
Well if you deal with Trac, do me a favor.....tell him to give me my four inch over black powder coated arm that he has had for almost two years. I sent it back to him two years ago this march for a re-weld in an area and Ive never seen it again.

I cant even get him on the phone to explain what ever happened to my arm in the first place.
ya that shit the worst part
everyone takes way way too long for anything
especially swingarms

Offline HSLD

• New User!
  • Where am I?
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2006, 04:44:47 PM »
    Here. For just for you I will be more specific. It is true that a weld in general if proper filler material is used is stronger than the material itself. The reason for this is that the filler material is designed to cool after welding to the condition of the material being welded. The problem becomes that the material around the weld is no longer at for example t-6 condition due to the heat applied. Back to my original statement that due to the machine that Dave uses. Lower heat, more penetration altering the condition of the base material less. Saying that the weld cracked is a general term. Its simple. Lets twist a Trac arm and a Velocity arm and see whose breaks (at the weld first) and we can save all of this typing and bs. Why talk about it. Just more bs!

Offline Lofty

• Post Whore
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2006, 05:43:54 PM »
HSLD, obviously you have some stake in this to some degree. You've never posted on this board until now, your credibility is suspect at best.

Secondly, forget about breaking....if you apply enough force to anything it will break. If one of Velocity's arms breaks at the weld, its more a testament to the material they are using. A Trac arm will bend before breaking the weld.

Take a Trac and a Velocity arm and see which one starts to flex and bend first.

As far as wether or not the external bracing works on a Trac arm....if it did, why was it neccesary for Barry to have Trac make a clubfoot for his arm? The bracing doesnt go all the way to the front pivot point, the arm just flex's at the pivot point from the frame back to the bracing. The pivot point is where it gets most of its stress.

Mac and Velocity arms have bracing that goes all the way to the front pivot, increasing the rigidity of the arm.

Offline Greg

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2006, 05:49:56 PM »
Lofty, are they still in the midst of designing this one? Or is it an option for the bracing? I see one arm with none, and this one on their site, but the bracing is different :?

Let's Roll!!

Offline HSLD

• New User!
  • Where am I?
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2006, 07:35:40 PM »
Lofty, I will answer each with my last post and then let you and Velocity continue the bs. How you have time between working on that engineering degree at night while working at that testing facility during the day. I know thats what you are doing for a living based on the claims you have made in respect to these tested velocity arms.
      Now to answer your last post to me. Your right as to my being suspect at best. Kosman,Trebble or Stoffer (I have done a little work for them) will all tell you that. My stake is simply that I know a few people here and there and hear a few things from time to time like how Barry was going to be tuning for everyone in PS/BIke. Thats going well I hear. More bs. I definitely do not have any contact with Dave Earll. Mater of fact your little swingarm issue cost wise just doesn't measure up to the screwing I have gotten from Dave.
       Second as to your statement about those wonderfull tubes that attach to the pivot tube that are going to keep that arm from bending. Well I guess any structure added will help but since the force that theoretically bends the arm is caused by the force of the motor yanking the chain, the arm will bend to the left side of the bike where there is the least support(others have actually tested this).Where this bending would take place is in the area that Trac has gussets for support This Velocity arm has no support in the area where the bending will occur. Nothing in between the cross tube support and the rear axle.That being said if you think that this approach is better than a clubfoot design and gussets I guess there is no use in trying to convince you. You got me on all accounts.
      Again in closing if you would like to test that arm and your claims let me know. My only intrest and or stake as you put it is giving people what they pay for and a little less bs. No need responding to my post unless you would like to prove your claims. A little less talk and theory and  little more proof may be in order.

Offline busa2001

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2006, 07:55:04 PM »
I HAVE A MAJOR GIGANTIC HUGE F**KING PROBLEM with the BONE F**KING stock head gasket we found on my 2mm kit

THAT IS JUST WRONG  :shock: I AM SURE YOU WILL HAVE SEB TEAR THE ENGINE COMPLETELY APART AND SEE WHAT ELSE IS F---ED UP..

THEMOTORHEAD

« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2006, 08:02:49 PM »
like pictured here

Offline Quijinn

• Universal Post Whore
  • Kawasaki Hahahahahah
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2006, 08:14:58 PM »
Wow thats alot of stiching.....
Hi my name is Mark and I am a Bikeaholic.     Be carefull how fast you race through life, the finish line is death, and the trophy is a headstone.  Our perspective is how we judge our lives, to judge others we need a little change in our perspective.

Offline J R

• Nitromethane Wizard
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2006, 12:19:49 PM »
Rob, :wink: :lol: Keep it cool man.What goes around will come around soon :wink:

Offline J R

• Nitromethane Wizard
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2006, 12:27:38 PM »
Is SK is still an authorized Velocity dealer/installer?
Yea , For now  :lol: Speaks volumes about Barry and his character dont it .. Superkunt Got the big website going makin out like theres some big buissness on the phone and on the web then ya find out thousands later ya got some Bullshit artist workin outta his home garage that dont know which end of a screwdriver to use and then really in his heart he belives  he is just gonna walk off from it all with no repercussions...Bary has this kinda guy reresent him??? to me thats just part of the con .I always dopped off my bike at Barrys and picked it up there.So they both knew about my bike and the 4 motors and the turbo kit that was faulty from velocity as well as the motors from Kevin.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2006, 01:48:44 PM by J R »

Offline Lofty

• Post Whore
« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2006, 02:19:19 PM »
Dude, pull your tampon out and replace it. Im not gonna get into a whiney bitch fest with you. I dont have to prove anything to you.

Common sense will tell you that the material being used on the Velocity arm is better. Their tubing has twice the amount of lateral material which is going to be much harder to bend than standard square tube.

Secondly, Velocity arms offer added gussets at the cross joint, so your argument doesnt hold water there either.

Lastly, we'll see how many winning bikes this year run Trac arms and how many run Velocity arms. You can talk smack all you want but in the end all that matters is which product is crossing the finish line first.

You care to put your money where your mouth is?

THEMOTORHEAD

« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2006, 03:19:46 PM »
LOL LOFTY THE GUSSET ITS IN THE WRONG SPOT ON THE ARM
AND THIS IS FUNDAMENTAL CHASIS DESIGN 101
SEE HIS GUSSET IS NON SUPPORTING TO THE AREA BENT AND CUT
ITS REARWARD OF IT WHICH THE WAY IT IS WILL LOCALISE STRESS IN THE BENT/CUT AREA
BAD DESIGN
ARGUE ALL YA WANT ITS JUST A BAD DESIGN PLAIN AND SIMPLE
BARRY MUST THOUGHT UP THAT ONE :?
2 WEKS
LOL YA LIKE HIS KITS ARE
HOPE ITS A DIFF WELDER THAN DID HIS KITS ALL FULL OF PINHOLES POOR PENETRATION
GO AS FAST AS HE LIKES STILL DOES NOT CHANGE POORLY ENGINEERED PARTS