Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Fixing To Buy 'Busa, Ordering Mods Now - OPINIONS?  (Read 4509 times)

Offline InfiniteReality

• Rider
  • Plate Reads: MY 420
    • My Website
Fixing To Buy 'Busa, Ordering Mods Now - OPINIONS?
« on: February 18, 2006, 11:13:50 AM »
Hello to all!  Just sold my SVR and now looking for a 2003 silver/charcoal 'busa that's as stock as possible.  I have a few questions and here's what I'll be ordering.  Does this sound good?

6000K HIDs high/low
Clear Front Signals
Top Gun Undertail
Lowering Items
Sliders
BlueGauges.Com's White Lit Gauges

1. What's the best way to lower it and typically what do people lower them?
2. Sliders - What's the some of better ones to get? 
3. Any negative's on the Top Gun undertails?

Any links would be awesome!!

2009 Charcoal/Silver Hayabusa
Lowered, 6+, Widened Stock Wheel, All LEDs, Everything Blacked Out

Offline Pat Dietrich

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • 8.6 @ 160 all motor
Re: Fixing To Buy 'Busa, Ordering Mods Now - OPINIONS?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2006, 01:00:42 PM »
Top gun undertails look great on the bike. Lowering links for the rear ( dog bones) can come fully adjustable or 3 holed. I would get the fully adjustable. That other crap you metioned is not mods, now if you want to talk turbo, big bore, cams , headwork or nitrous then we can talk. :wink: :smokin: :mrgreen:

Offline Pat Dietrich

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • 8.6 @ 160 all motor
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2006, 01:39:41 PM »
top gun tails look awesome but suck with a lowered bike.  if you want that kinda tail just get MH's and save the headache.  sucked pitching my $200 cracked tail in the trash.  bobby5150 on this site makes custom guages if you havn't checked em out.  pretty much any design you can come up with.  sliders just don't look right on a bus.

He ain't buying a BUS. Hell, sliders would look stupid on one unless you could match the yellow real :bah: :duh: :lmao: :mrgreen: good. But honestly, if you put a BUS on its side, sliders ain't going to help!

Offline DWB

• Post Whore
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2006, 02:34:38 PM »
I don't know where you live, but there is an 03 that fits your description here in Iowa with 4000 miles and he's asking $7,500.  If it is the same one I looked at a year ago it is super clean.  That guy wanted $7,800 then, but I ended up buying a new one since I had a trade.

Offline WayneE

• Mad Post Whore
  • Habitual linestepper
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2006, 02:43:16 PM »
Moving from an SV, I would recommend just riding one for a while before making a lot of changes  :)

Some sort of upper clamp/handlebar mount and lowering links.  I have a top clamp from Spencer Cycle (board sponsor) on my bike...

Can't help you there, but I'm sure some vendors here carry them.  I don't run them, but some people swear by them.

I do not like the Top Gun undertails.  The lights are very poor quality and are not very bright.  I had one on my bike until a buddy of mine was riding behind me at night and told me that he could barely see the lights unless he was right on top of me.  I ditched it and got a Motorhead undertail along with a Clear Alternatives LED rear w/integrated signals.

Pics at http://blueblackbusa.org/undertail/

Also, as someone mentioned, you'll bust up the Top Gun undertail if your bike is lowered.

Offline StreetnTrack

• Restricted
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2006, 02:58:23 PM »
the top gun undertail is a good tail.  so is the mototeck one.  if you are lowering a lot go wit the motorhead undertail.  we sale a lot of the no cut frame sliders.  go with the adjustable lowering links in the back and a top clamp or reaper risers for the front.

Offline InfiniteReality

• Rider
    • My Website
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2006, 05:17:47 PM »
On the brightness of the Top Gun, I'm pretty good with LEDs and am planning on making a cluster of the max number of 20000mcd LEDs to fit in there.  For the signals, I'm going to make a cluster of 8000mcd orange LEDs.  When it's all done, it should outshine the stock brakelight by far.  It should definitely even outshine the $200 ones they make to put in the tail.  Also have a few other ideas for LEDs when I get the busa...  :D

What do people typically lower they're bikes? 1" & 3"?  I just want to give it a better stance.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2006, 05:19:30 PM by InfiniteReality »

Offline Bonedust

• Mad Post Whore
  • boost or bust
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2006, 06:55:55 PM »
buy it and ride it before you do anything.

when i got mine i changed a ton of shit....and all the mods i originally did are now gone. wait, ride, research....otherwise you'll waste money. i promise.

The Poison Idea- TMH T61 Ultra kit (500+ hp), 3-deg frame rake, BST wheels, Speigler 8-pot calipers and masters, Mac 0-6 arm, full CF body work.

Offline WayneE

• Mad Post Whore
  • Habitual linestepper
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2006, 07:06:03 PM »
Remember, lowering the bike will affect handling and ground clearance when driving straight and leaned over.

As far as how low, the 3 hole lowering liks usually give stock, 1" and 3" drops.  Up front, you can slide the fork tubes through an aftermarket clamp and play with the ride height.  Our bikes look awesome slammed to the ground, but it's not practical riding like that.  If you're lowering just for looks, try 1" to start and see how you like the ride/handling.

Offline Ksana

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2006, 08:11:48 PM »
Welcome

Lowering 1/2" in the front, 1" in the back. Doug at Spencercycles has a nice set of adj. links. Most of us lower for the look & for the dragstrip. Don't go overboard or it won't handle as well in the curves. Also most guys use straps to lower the front end. This isn't good for the forks, get a triple clamp instead

If your stuck on the Top Gun, get a hugger

Sliders: go w/ the no-cut, that Charles is talking about. Street & Track will hook u up. BTW all others cut into the fairing! These are definitely more trick!

HID: give XenonKing.com a call 877-HID-KITS x 707 - Mike will hook u up. Tell him your a member here, so u get the discount group buy. Talked to him Friday.

These are more aesthetic changes, ride it before u change too much in the engine

Offline Ksana

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2006, 08:12:53 PM »
Moving from an SV, I would recommend just riding one for a while before making a lot of changes  :)

Some sort of upper clamp/handlebar mount and lowering links.  I have a top clamp from Spencer Cycle (board sponsor) on my bike...

Can't help you there, but I'm sure some vendors here carry them.  I don't run them, but some people swear by them.

I do not like the Top Gun undertails.  The lights are very poor quality and are not very bright.  I had one on my bike until a buddy of mine was riding behind me at night and told me that he could barely see the lights unless he was right on top of me.  I ditched it and got a Motorhead undertail along with a Clear Alternatives LED rear w/integrated signals.

Pics at http://blueblackbusa.org/undertail/

Also, as someone mentioned, you'll bust up the Top Gun undertail if your bike is lowered.

Always liked Wayne's garage :lol:

Offline WayneE

• Mad Post Whore
  • Habitual linestepper
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2006, 08:34:21 PM »

SuperDave

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2006, 09:18:56 PM »
A nice Gen-Mar Riser won't hurt.   I luv mine.   :!:

Offline InfiniteReality

• Rider
    • My Website
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2006, 01:10:54 PM »
Sweet!  Thanks for all the info!  After much debate (in my head), I'm pushing for the UFO now.  Much easier to hide the LEDs behind and I'll just integrate both for my signals instead of having seperate signals.. 

Silders.  Wouldn't the ones that need cutting the fairing be a better choice as far as protection?  I've always read it, but now I"m confused.

HIDs - got low on order and also ordered a 9005 Yellow Ion High Beam.

Lowering 1/2 and 1 is enough?  I was thinking 1 & 2 or 1 & 3, whichever keeps it level.  Which one does anyways?

Thanks!!

Offline KWComp

• Rider
  • Hillbilly
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2006, 02:38:30 PM »
1 and 3 is REALLY low.  I would try the 1 and 2.  3 in the back and you wont be able to go down the ramp of a bike lift without picking the back end up.
CCS#120

Offline InfiniteReality

• Rider
    • My Website
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2006, 04:03:32 PM »
Cool, I was trying to figure out how the 1/3 drop would even look right?  A 1/2 drop should give me a level stance, right?

Offline StreetnTrack

• Restricted
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2006, 06:24:28 PM »
have you seen the mototeck undertail and the led clusters for the turnsignals and tail lights?

Offline gnd111

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
  • Fried Chicken and Gasoline...
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2006, 07:48:08 PM »
Get a ZX14 - Busa's are slow and ugly.... :lol:

Offline StreetnTrack

• Restricted
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2006, 08:08:48 PM »
here is what the no cut frame sliders look like.

http://ww2.netnitco.net/users/vairxprt/sliders.htm

Offline Twisted

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Apocalyptic Whore
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2006, 08:24:22 PM »
Get a ZX14 - Busa's are slow and ugly.... :lol:

fuck that, I am just going to order a set of those fins and fix them to my bike, I am sure thats the only real difference between the 12 and the 14 besides a few CCs...

the fins will seperate the air giving me a sensation there is more air being passed by providing me a feel I'm going faster than I really am... the effect should work especially well with magazine editors so after I'm done with the install I will ship the bike to the UK for a magazine writers editorial review, I will most likely have a 210 mph stock motored bike after the article is written and my bike will go down in history....  :roll:

Offline InfiniteReality

• Rider
    • My Website
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2006, 12:16:13 AM »
have you seen the mototeck undertail and the led clusters for the turnsignals and tail lights?

Yep, seen those.  But I'm partial to the UFO undertail since it has a lense on it.  Before I even install it, I will fit as many 20000mcd red LEDs inside it as possible.  Then integrate my signals into them.  They should be alot brighter than any aftermarket bulb or cluster.  Fixing to order it now!  :D  I'll post pics when I'm done for others to see. 

What's the techincal color for a 03 silver/charocal busa?  Sonic Silver?  Just curious as I'll need to find the proper color for them to paint it.

THANKS!!