Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: clutch cam welding  (Read 6536 times)

Offline horsepower

• Rider
  • horsepower, everthing is better with it
clutch cam welding
« on: February 20, 2006, 08:31:31 PM »
has any one here actually welded up their own?going to do mine this week and was wondering what position did you weld it up in? where the springs are at their lightest in the middle or what? already ordered heavy springs and got a billet sprocket cover.
2004 busa blk/purple polished frame,polished 6overarm,tobin seat, hmf bigbird,pair blockoff, sml box, soupys ,vortex rearsets, 17-45 rkchain, nos or turbo next

Offline Quijinn

• Universal Post Whore
  • Kawasaki Hahahahahah
Re: clutch cam welding
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2006, 09:33:22 PM »
Good question, was thinking of doing the same thing.
Hi my name is Mark and I am a Bikeaholic.     Be carefull how fast you race through life, the finish line is death, and the trophy is a headstone.  Our perspective is how we judge our lives, to judge others we need a little change in our perspective.

Offline horsepower

• Rider
  • horsepower, everthing is better with it
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006, 10:13:44 PM »
ya i no a bunch of people have done this. sure wish they would answer or show a picture instead of just reading the post
2004 busa blk/purple polished frame,polished 6overarm,tobin seat, hmf bigbird,pair blockoff, sml box, soupys ,vortex rearsets, 17-45 rkchain, nos or turbo next

Offline tight02busa

• Rider
  • Where am I?
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2006, 04:30:49 PM »
Yes i have. I made a jig to hold it true it works nice I've welded up about 15 or 20 others.

Dave 8)

Offline Quijinn

• Universal Post Whore
  • Kawasaki Hahahahahah
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2006, 12:29:20 PM »
So you just want to make sure the cam is flat on the hub. seems easy enought to do, I remeber looking at it when it was apart. I think I will do this when I put in the HD springs.
Hi my name is Mark and I am a Bikeaholic.     Be carefull how fast you race through life, the finish line is death, and the trophy is a headstone.  Our perspective is how we judge our lives, to judge others we need a little change in our perspective.

Offline Badbusa@work

• Post Whore
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2006, 12:46:26 PM »
OH CLUTCH CAM , NEVER MIND :oops:
FL BOYS

Offline Ghost

• Post Master
  • Ya I know........
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2006, 07:49:26 AM »
I do it to every bike I own I made a jig as well and have my welder do it up for me....works great and cheap too

Sam

Offline Quijinn

• Universal Post Whore
  • Kawasaki Hahahahahah
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2006, 03:10:05 PM »
got a pic of the jig by chance? We have a nice miller, and I just did 2 exhuast systems for mine and my dads cars. I tell yah, if you want to get good at weilding, work with think round material  :shock: I bet I can fill in a hole faster then anyone here now  :lmao:

Offline Quijinn

• Universal Post Whore
  • Kawasaki Hahahahahah
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2006, 07:04:16 PM »
Would really like to see how you all did your jig. Should be able to just 3 point tack it inside the hub right? I was looking at pics and seems it would be lined up best in its resting point. I will look at it better next week when i take it apart to do the clutch springs.

BLACK051K

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2006, 07:36:09 PM »
Quinjinn,

Pics or sketch would be great ,too see final cam/hub placement.

Offline Quijinn

• Universal Post Whore
  • Kawasaki Hahahahahah
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2006, 08:04:53 PM »
It looks to me like it can only go in one way. So if I center the the tabs in the grove then tack each one then remove it to weld it I dont see how it could be miss aligned. We shall see I will take pics.

BLACK051K

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2006, 08:22:00 PM »
Also curious on where to place welds,just to be sure if there are any clearance issues,
when re-installing basket.

Offline Quijinn

• Universal Post Whore
  • Kawasaki Hahahahahah
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2006, 08:23:27 PM »
Well there should be enough space on the sides of the tabs, I figure once you weild to fill those gaps it should not stick up.

BLACK051K

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2006, 09:29:47 PM »
Yeah !
 That's exactly what i meant.
if anything you can weld ,then grind smooth/flush.
Would like to see it done,and confirmed before welding....
There is another concern on oiling issues .....where extra oil passages/drilled into hub would help  extend clutch life and performance.

Thanks Rick

Offline Quijinn

• Universal Post Whore
  • Kawasaki Hahahahahah
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2006, 09:32:24 PM »
Pretty sure the clutch sits in oil, the motor oil lvl is higher then the clutches so I dont see any changes there. Alot of guys with stock set up's lean the bike to get oil all over the clutches. I read you dont wana do this with the cusion, I think it makes it slip alot more.

BLACK051K

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2006, 09:39:39 PM »
Have'nt heard that ,Thanks for sharing the info.......would'nt want that!!

Tig or Mig welds ?  I've got a Mig ,will it do?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2006, 09:42:19 PM by BLACK051K »

Offline Quijinn

• Universal Post Whore
  • Kawasaki Hahahahahah
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2006, 09:43:04 PM »
Im not 100% sure on the cushion, its off the top of my head, seems like I read it some place so dont take it to heart.

BLACK051K

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2006, 09:54:51 PM »
 Yes,I Know.
  like yourself I'm waiting on Clutch packs and Hd springs.
I'll do some searching before attempting this mod.

Offline Quijinn

• Universal Post Whore
  • Kawasaki Hahahahahah
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2006, 10:10:00 PM »
if you dont get to it before I do I will write something up for yah. I useually can figure this kinda stuff out  :wink:

BLACK051K

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2006, 10:50:51 PM »
Thanks !

Offline BIG THUNDER

• Rider
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2006, 06:03:23 PM »

Tig or Mig welds ?  I've got a Mig ,will it do?
Tig. 

Offline Quijinn

• Universal Post Whore
  • Kawasaki Hahahahahah
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2006, 06:09:58 PM »
Its steel with alot of surface area in a oiled area, Mig is fine. You are not going to crush the wield and its all compression, and sheer force. Good heat and deep penitration.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2006, 06:15:47 PM by Quijinn »

Offline Quijinn

• Universal Post Whore
  • Kawasaki Hahahahahah
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2006, 07:04:20 PM »
Ok welded my clutch cam up, we will see how it does. So far seems good, was not as hard as I thought it would be.

I took it apart looked at it and came up with this.

Ok what I did was bolted the center peice back up and torqed to specs to make sure it was lined up right. Make sure the dots on the cam and the hub are togther, book says to do that, not sure if it matters after welding but I did.

Once I bolted it up I put this L bracket on and pulled the assembly up, then I took a screw driver and centerd the tabs in the groves. Once I did this I was able to tighten the bolts up a little more. I used the screw driver and worked everthing till it would no longer move tighting the 2 bolts on the L bracket as I worked. Once I did this the assembly was very solid.  I then put a small tack on each of the 3 tabs, this kept everything from moveing. Put the whole clutch back together and tested it, everything looked good so I took it back apart, took the hub out of the bike and weilded it up. Sorry I was a little nerveous and didnt take any other pics. You should be able to figure out how I did it by looking at the pics. I found the key was to make sure everything seated, when I measured it after reinstalling there was less then .004 of a inch from one side to the other difference.

I figure it should be fine  :shock: I hope, we will see as the season progresses hehe.