Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Shortening exhaust cans  (Read 35476 times)

Offline AaronG

• Rider
  • Where am I?
Re: Shortening exhaust cans
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2006, 11:41:30 AM »
Can this be done to the stock cans?  And would it make any sound difference?

Offline HOLLYWOOD

• Post Master
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2006, 11:56:10 AM »
Can this be done to the stock cans?  And would it make any sound difference?

Don't know? Aren't the stock cans welded at the caps?

Offline InfiniteReality

• Rider
  • Plate Reads: MY 420
    • My Website
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2006, 09:18:16 PM »
ah crap.  My next mod!!  I actually heard my friends 02 CBR600F4i that he just got and it had a shortened can. His freakin' bike sounds alot deeper than my 'busa with a full yoshi!! :(  I need deeper/throaty BAD!!!!!! :)

2009 Charcoal/Silver Hayabusa
Lowered, 6+, Widened Stock Wheel, All LEDs, Everything Blacked Out

Offline zuk1

• Rider
  • Needing a Bigger Garage
    • my webpage thing
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2006, 12:55:04 AM »
Any results on the Dyno for shortening the cans? Make more or less HP / Torque than stock length?

Offline HOLLYWOOD

• Post Master
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2006, 06:39:18 AM »
Any results on the Dyno for shortening the cans? Make more or less HP / Torque than stock length?

I doubt it does anything to HP... Maybe +/- a pony....
I did it simply for cosmetic reasons and the change in exhaust note was an added plus... 8)

Offline Headshot

• Post Master
    • http://n/a
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2006, 01:05:33 PM »
nolo263

Can see any pics :(, it states that it have moved.  Can you post again!!

"Two to the body one to the head"

Offline AlaskaBusa

• Rider
  • www.AlaskaRacing.com
    • AlaskaRacing.com
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2006, 01:56:03 PM »
Kinda on the subject... if I remove some of the baffle from my stock cans, do I need any carb adjustments or tuning of that type...? Sorry if this is a basic question?
{'04 Busa, Blue/Silver}

Offline HOLLYWOOD

• Post Master
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2006, 09:39:29 AM »
nolo263

Offline Headshot

• Post Master
    • http://n/a
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2006, 09:29:50 PM »
I guess this is going to be the latest mod. It's going to have to grow on me before I do mine. I have mix opinions about. Guess I like it   :? then maybe not
« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 07:47:33 AM by Headshot »
"Two to the body one to the head"

Offline HOLLYWOOD

• Post Master
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2006, 10:31:03 PM »
I guess this is going to be the latest mod. It going to have to grow on me before I do mine. I have mix opinions about. Guess I like it   :?
Don't do something because "It's the latest mod"... Do it if you like it. If you don't, why cut up a perfectly good exhaust? Personally, I found the Yoshi can to be too damn long... Know what I mean?  8)

Offline mimic

• Post Whore
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2006, 08:47:48 PM »

how much did you cut off your can? I took 6 inches off my akrapovic but it doesn't look anywhere as hot as your. DAMN that thing looks hot!!!
The psychiatrist says I'm crazy, but the voices in my head say I'm not!

Offline nmbusa

• Rider
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2006, 08:21:26 AM »
nolo263

thinking of cutting my rs3 also.the question is what if I cut the opposite side close to header instead of tip end to still hold on to yoshimura badge is that ok?
after close examination realized you also shortened wheelbase as I did a week ago,howz the feeling compared to stock wheelbase especially on a high speed run? since never got to try it my self yet.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 08:23:37 AM by nmbusa »

Offline X E Ryder

• Post Whore
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2006, 09:10:46 AM »
I think if you cut the headpipe end off, you will have a problem re-installing the end cap because the baffle is cone shaped at the headpipe end.

Since it tapers down, you may no longer have any way to fit the larger ID of the cap tothe smaller OD of the chopped baffle if you cut the headpipe end.

Does this make sense? (I am still half asleep having coffee hehehe)  8)

Stick to the exit tip end, but just drill a couple little holes to re-rivet the name plate back on if you want to retain it.

Offline HOLLYWOOD

• Post Master
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2006, 02:29:29 PM »
nmbusa
after close examination realized you also shortened wheelbase as I did a week ago,howz the feeling compared to stock wheelbase especially on a high speed run? since never got to try it my self yet.

Yeah... I went down to 110 links and stock gearing (17/40)... Made a huge difference in the twisties (went to The Gap in June) this year as compared to last year... As far as high speed runs, I've only pinned the bike about 5 times since this mod and I feel no difference than before. I've also raised the rear 1" via shorter dogbones... Helps with turn-in.... :wink:
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 02:31:00 PM by HOLLYWOOD »

Offline HOLLYWOOD

• Post Master
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2006, 02:33:45 PM »
Stick to the exit tip end, but just drill a couple little holes to re-rivet the name plate back on if you want to retain it.

:yes: :stupid:

Offline mimic

• Post Whore
« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2006, 03:20:28 PM »

I disagree, because you're not cutting the core(purferated tube) on start end of the can, just the sleeve. You can always cut the core from the opposite side (the exit side of the can and put the canister back together. But I wouldn't do it this way because if you notice on nolo26's bike, he relocated the tag closer to the start point of the can so that the tag doesn't end up under the exhaust bracket. It would look ass if your yosh tag was under the bracket. but it's up to you.

Offline X E Ryder

• Post Whore
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2006, 07:59:02 PM »

I disagree, because you're not cutting the core(purferated tube) on start end of the can, just the sleeve. You can always cut the core from the opposite side (the exit side of the can and put the canister back together. But I wouldn't do it this way because if you notice on nolo26's bike, he relocated the tag closer to the start point of the can so that the tag doesn't end up under the exhaust bracket. It would look ass if your yosh tag was under the bracket. but it's up to you.

Mimic is right, but I don't like to mess with the packing, once you get it mucked up, it just makes a big mess.  8)

Offline mimic

• Post Whore
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2006, 08:09:45 PM »

Mimic is right, but I don't like to mess with the packing, once you get it mucked up, it just makes a big mess.  8)

that and it looks better with the tag passed the exhaust hanger 8)

Offline BRIMSTONE

• Apprentice Post Whore
  • Where am I?
« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2006, 09:28:43 PM »
I just finished cutting down my yoshi tri-ovals today...look and sound great!!!! I cut off the tags to lend to my stealth look. Thanks to all the posts on how to's!

Offline InfiniteReality

• Rider
    • My Website
« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2006, 11:05:41 PM »
I'm running a full exhaust RS3 with no PC3.  Could I cut mine down and not sweat anything bad happening to the engine?  I know the PC3 would help, but just curious if it's safe to do it without a PC3

Offline X E Ryder

• Post Whore
« Reply #45 on: August 01, 2006, 11:24:31 PM »
It won't mess with it any worse than a different or more open exhaust system would.

It helps to have a PC to allow correcting the fuel, but it won't keep you from chopping the cans down.  8)

Offline InfiniteReality

• Rider
    • My Website
« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2006, 07:20:03 AM »
It won't mess with it any worse than a different or more open exhaust system would.

It helps to have a PC to allow correcting the fuel, but it won't keep you from chopping the cans down.  8)

Hell yeah!  I've been putting it off doing this cause I was worried it could be worse on the engine!  Got my quick weekend project lined up! :)

Thanks!!

Offline mimic

• Post Whore
« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2006, 10:53:24 AM »
Here's mine, but  I think I need to shorten it another 3 inches to get the right look. I only cut 6 inches off the original length but after seeing some other ones, seems 9 inches is the way to go.

Offline InfiniteReality

• Rider
    • My Website
« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2006, 02:11:05 PM »
Mimic....  That paint is awesome looking, even better is your plate mount!  SWEET BIKE! Do you have more pics of the bike or a link???

Offline mimic

• Post Whore
« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2006, 02:15:12 PM »
Mimic....  That paint is awesome looking, even better is your plate mount!  SWEET BIKE! Do you have more pics of the bike or a link???

thanks man, here's an older post of when I had just finished the bike, but I had the yosh on it back then.

http://www.suzukihayabusa.org/forum/index.php?topic=74632.0