Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Shortening exhaust cans  (Read 35472 times)

Offline X E Ryder

• Post Whore
Re: Shortening exhaust cans
« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2006, 07:46:50 PM »
Here's mine, but  I think I need to shorten it another 3 inches to get the right look. I only cut 6 inches off the original length but after seeing some other ones, seems 9 inches is the way to go.

Mimic, I still think that is the sickest paint job I have ever seen, your bike looks two-tone anodized or something. Pretty freaking awesome I say.  8)

Offline mimic

• Post Whore
« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2006, 08:17:17 PM »
lol, thanks man, it looked great till I dumped 3 weeks ago. It's actually vacuum plated and dyed orange on the left side and red on the right with ghost tribal  designs in it that you can't see in the pics. you barely see them in the last pic on my other post.
The psychiatrist says I'm crazy, but the voices in my head say I'm not!

Offline ZEUS

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2006, 07:10:08 PM »
ok cool thanks for the specs. gonna make it easier for me :D

Looks good :!: :)

Offline InfiniteReality

• Rider
  • Plate Reads: MY 420
    • My Website
« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2006, 08:36:43 AM »
Mimic, man........  dude, that's just SWEET! I can't get over how awesome that looks!That's just sick looking!!!

Is it expensive to do?  Did you do it locally (or yourself) or have to ship it all off?  What about the tank, since it's metal they were able to do it the same way??  Wonder if rims can/should be done? 

You offically have the sickest paint I've seen to date!  Very different, very cool!!

2009 Charcoal/Silver Hayabusa
Lowered, 6+, Widened Stock Wheel, All LEDs, Everything Blacked Out

Offline mimic

• Post Whore
« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2006, 10:36:00 AM »
It used to be my company, you plated anything from plastic to carbo fiber, plexi glass, porcelain, metal, even wood. The resistance is like paint so I never did my wheels due to fear of it chipping away when I got tires changed. it costs about 1500-2000$ to do depending what you want to have done. My old partner bought my share and he's still doing it.

You can see soem of my other bikes and customer bikes at www.destrochrome.com

Unfortunately I dumped it a couple of weeks abo and messed up the right side a bit so I'm jsut gonna repaint the while bike.

Offline InfiniteReality

• Rider
    • My Website
« Reply #55 on: August 06, 2006, 11:40:48 PM »
Chopped mine this weekend.  Took me 2.5 hours todo start to finish.  That includes driving 15 miles to/from Sears on bike for some proper size rivets, letting the pipe cool off (with the help of a wet towel), and cutting it with a hacksaw.  :)  It's louder than I expected, but it sounds so much deeper!  I love it and the new look!

Offline mimic

• Post Whore
« Reply #56 on: August 07, 2006, 07:45:23 AM »
Here's mine but I find that it's a bit too long still, needs another 3 inches chopped.

Offline 03 silver busa

• Post Whore
« Reply #57 on: August 07, 2006, 05:11:26 PM »
When you guys say the cut can sounds deeper, does it sound like a liter bike 600 - 1000?  I know when I had my 600 it sounded alot better than my Busa does.  I have a FMH full system any input would be appreciated.
03 busa
98 560rwhp 427 Trans am
04 Camry SE
04 Titan

Offline mimic

• Post Whore
« Reply #58 on: August 07, 2006, 05:14:54 PM »
it doesn;t sound like either a 600 nor a 1000, it's a deeper sound. If you busa sounds crappy, it's your pipe, my akrapovic sounds mean as all hell.

Offline busage

• Post Whore
  • ...But are you certain?
« Reply #59 on: August 10, 2006, 09:01:19 AM »
Hmmmm... I have an HMF big bird and i wonder if i can make it sound any more dangerous than is does now? :twisted:

Offline InfiniteReality

• Rider
    • My Website
« Reply #60 on: August 11, 2006, 09:30:15 AM »
After a week of riding with my chopped Yoshi and no PC3, here's my thoughts...

I notice zero difference between how the bike felt before and after chopping the muffler.  It always has hesitated a little due to no PC3.  Only difference now is you can hear a little sputter a little due to the exhaust being louder.

BUT the BIG difference is when riding 2-up. I can't tell any "feel" difference, but the fluttering sound difference is HUGE compared to riding by myself.  I can tell bigtime that when riding 2-up that it seems to be running lean.  The sound is in no way smooth and I find it difficult to shift smoothly as well.

So my question.  I dont' have the cash to get a PC3, but being how it feels and sounds riding 2-up (which I've been doing alot here lately), I should charge a PC3 to my credit card so I don't have to worry about the engine.  Agree??

Offline X E Ryder

• Post Whore
« Reply #61 on: August 11, 2006, 11:18:16 AM »
If you are going to have a whack mix, it sure as hell is safer on the Rich side!

I would not spend alot of time riding a lean motor, it really is not good for it.

As for your sputter: Remember a rule of thumb is if you have trouble when Asking for power (accell, hill climbs) you are Rich, if you have problems when not asking for power (cruising, easing off, maintaining speed) you are lean. A slightly lean bike will run great but get hotter than shit! A rich bike will usually run rough when real rich, and a buddy following you can tell you if you stink like fuel!

Another consideration is a fuel supply problem, Fuel Injection does not "sputter" very easy, are you sure you have a clean screen and no kinks in the supply? I have chased jetting/injection problems for hours only to find no change, then find a damn kinked hose, like only when the tank is all the way down (where you cannot see it), or a plugged bowl vent (carb bike only of course).

Hope all of this hot air had some helpful info (just so long as it is not lean right?)  8)

I have a PC III USB and love it, easy to use good little trouble free unit.

Offline mimic

• Post Whore
« Reply #62 on: August 11, 2006, 12:01:56 PM »
just get used one, and it doesn't have to be a PCIII USB, you can get a PCII or a PCIIIr used and save some cash. The PC II and PCIIIr also allow you to modify the ignition timing as well. I have a PC II on my busa and I'm luvin it!

Offline InfiniteReality

• Rider
    • My Website
« Reply #63 on: August 11, 2006, 12:47:57 PM »
Yeah I know rich is definitely better.  I notice very little difference when alone on the bike, but riding 2-up I notice it alot.  Guessing just the weight difference?  Just cruising at 4-5K, riding 2-up, it's not a even tone.  Doesn't sound heathly at all and it bothers me.  It sounded a little riding 2-up funny before the chopping the pipe, but now it really does...guess cause I can finally hear my exhaust! :)  I havent' pulled the tank up in a while, so I'm guessing the hoses are all good.  I'll check it out to night to be safe.   either way, since I have a full yoshi, I need a PC3 anyways.  Sooner I get it, the better I will be, I'm sure of that.  I think I'll just go with the PC3 just for ease of it.

Offline X E Ryder

• Post Whore
« Reply #64 on: August 11, 2006, 08:21:08 PM »
just get used one, and it doesn't have to be a PCIII USB, you can get a PCII or a PCIIIr used and save some cash. The PC II and PCIIIr also allow you to modify the ignition timing as well. I have a PC II on my busa and I'm luvin it!

He's right about the ignition alright.

Also consider that a PC III USB let's you run MAPs with Twice the Resolution. That is, they sample and adjust A/F every 250 RPM instead of every 500 RPM (like previous models). This feature really smoothes out the FI alot if your MAP is even close to correct.

Personal preference I suppose from here.  8)

Oh, and if you want a PC IIIr serial port type, Dennis Kirk still has them new and blowing out for dirt cheap!

Offline InfiniteReality

• Rider
    • My Website
« Reply #65 on: August 12, 2006, 01:45:18 PM »
I just ordered a PCIIIUSB and as soon as it gets here, it'll be promptly installed!  Thanks!

Offline InfiniteReality

• Rider
    • My Website
« Reply #66 on: August 21, 2006, 08:18:48 AM »
All I can say is WOW for the power difference using a PC3!!! Night and day difference, no doubt!  The exhaust note is ALOT cleaner sounding now, shifting actually is easier 2-up riding, no more hesitation on low RPMS.  Well worth the $250 plus a K&N!!

Offline X E Ryder

• Post Whore
« Reply #67 on: August 21, 2006, 09:15:10 AM »
Yeah pretty sweet, and tuning is within your reach now.

Any other mods and you can dial em in.

Offline X E Ryder

• Post Whore
« Reply #68 on: August 23, 2006, 12:32:50 PM »
Anyone else have pics of their Busa with a shortened can? Plz?

Thx!  8)

Offline InfiniteReality

• Rider
    • My Website
« Reply #69 on: August 23, 2006, 01:23:39 PM »

Offline X E Ryder

• Post Whore
« Reply #70 on: August 24, 2006, 10:37:00 AM »
Hmm, Fuck it!

I'll be back in a little while, gonna go hack off my can heheheh.  8)

Offline InfiniteReality

• Rider
    • My Website
« Reply #71 on: August 24, 2006, 12:01:12 PM »
Snap some pics when you're done!!  You'll like it!!  ahh, the deep rumble of the exhaust is awesome!!  I wish I'd had my video camera there to get before and after sound clips of it, but oh well.

Offline X E Ryder

• Post Whore
« Reply #72 on: August 24, 2006, 10:04:36 PM »
OK, all done.

Well it is louder alright, but it sounds GOOD!

My motor sounds "Pissed Fuckin' Off" now, instead of "Mildly Irritated" heheheheh.

Oh and use a chopsaw or you might make a mess of your can.  8)

Offline gat0r

• Rider
  • Where am I?
« Reply #73 on: August 25, 2006, 12:56:09 AM »
looks good, nice job

Offline InfiniteReality

• Rider
    • My Website
« Reply #74 on: August 25, 2006, 07:49:35 AM »
X E Ryder:  Looks alot better IMO!  Did yours make it deeper too??

Got any more pics of your bike?  I've always liked the polished lips on bikes and since we have the same colors, I'd love to see what it looks like since you've already done it. :)