Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Speed Shifting - Bad for Bike?  (Read 25196 times)

Offline FastBikes4Life

• Rider
Speed Shifting - Bad for Bike?
« on: April 01, 2006, 09:36:29 AM »
Whenever I really need to get out of dodge quick, fast and in a hurry I shift without the clutch. I keep pressure under the shifter and each time I let off the throttle slightly it allows the bike to slip into the next gear and then I'm back on the throttle. It's almost a seemless shift and I've found this method of shifting to really help me move out with serious acceleration. Does this harm the clutch or the transmission in any way? If so, I'll stop doing it but I will need an alternative that will reduce the shift window time. Thanks.

Fast
Holy Crap, I have to sell this ZX-12R!!

Offline busamagic

• Mad Post Whore
Re: Speed Shifting - Bad for Bike?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2006, 10:01:55 AM »
you should be fine shifting like that  8)
Cruising on a Harley

Offline dtechnologies

• Rider
    • Ghettobike
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2006, 10:55:11 AM »
I use this same technique all the time....pretty much every time I'm shifting while on the gas hard. It's my oppinion that speed shifting (or power shifting, or whatever you call it) is better...for two reasons

First, by not using the clutch you're not giving it an opportunity to slip if you gen on the power a bit early. Also, because you're not using the clutch, there is almost no time for the drive gear set and driven gear set to get out of sync speed wise...this is what makes a nice easy 'slip into the next gear' shift.

If you've ever shifted at speed while the engine is idling, you'll know what it feels like when the 2 sets of gears are moving at different speeds

*BANG*
Dave Tameling

1984 Yamaha XJ750 'Old School'
2001 Suzuki Hayabusa 'Frankenbusa'
2001 Yamaha FZ1 - R.I.P.

'Holy shit man...'
     - J

Offline FBM

• Rider
  • Where am I?
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2007, 11:11:35 AM »
with the 2nd gear issues busa's seem to exhibit, would clutching the 1-2 shift be better for the trans?

Offline BUSASPECTRE

• Rider
  • To most, I am merely a blur.
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 08:34:29 AM »
with the 2nd gear issues busa's seem to exhibit, would clutching the 1-2 shift be better for the trans?

That depends on how smoothly and quickly you can power/speed shift. I shift normal and power/speed shift equally. Both come naturally to me. On my way to sixth, I often mix and match without really thinking about it. When it comes to heavy acceleration, I always power/speed shift. When you move that fast, each and every thing you have to concentrate on is just another thing taking away from your riding ability. Limit the destractors, and you perform better. Also, the less physical motion you exert, no matter how small and seemingly insignificant, the longer it takes for fatigue to set in. No need to have fatigue and unnecessary distraction when were at or over a quarter of the way to the sound barrier.  :twisted: :brnt: :moped:  :lol:
You may have mods which can help your bike go faster than mine, but do you have what it takes to actually keep up?  Skill or insanity, you take your pick, but it works for me.

2006 Black and Burgundy
Underlighting
Freestyle Ingenuity Engine Cage

Offline TrickTom1

• HOT ROD
  • Site Donor
  • Post Apocalyptic Whore
  • In God We Trust
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2007, 12:17:14 PM »
 :thumb:

Offline genarr3

• Post Master
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2007, 08:56:59 AM »
I do it.
Orient Express Top Street Bike 2011 Season Champ Englishtown NJ

Offline amc91z

• Rider
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2007, 10:04:22 PM »
I have always been worried about breaking the tranny, but i may have to give it a shot  :twisted:

Offline CADDYWOMPUS

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 06:05:21 PM »
 i clutchless shift going up but only when riding easy ( one handed )
"you are both queerbait and im the queer"-pat dietrich

Offline Squeeze

• Rider
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2007, 12:15:40 PM »
I do it on the 1/4, flip my knuckles back a bit and shift.  It is the same principal of an air shifter (you use throttle air shifter uses electric kill at coils).
You meet the fastest people on a Busa.

Offline 05 busa boy

• Rider
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2007, 04:42:39 PM »
you should be fine shifting like that  8)
hello. fairly new to site just wondering if you can post a picture of your bike? what kind of swingarm do you have and how long? love that color! thanks

Offline Rocketgeezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2008, 02:05:18 PM »
Dont do it on 1-2 but on the rest no problem but I dont drag race
The older you get do you notice you start chickening out way before the bike does

Offline dilsnick

• Restricted
  • Rider
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2008, 06:05:18 PM »
i dont know if it matters but my bike pops out of second gear with only2000 miles. you might want to consider using the clutch more often.

Offline piratediverjefff

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2008, 10:40:37 PM »
i dont know if it matters but my bike pops out of second gear with only2000 miles. you might want to consider using the clutch more often.

Mine did also(pretty common occurance)and had the trans. replaced with one from Carolina Cycles.
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day,light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Frank06

• Site Donor
  • Rider
  • Timer and EV Tech - LTA
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2008, 07:21:05 AM »
I always roll off a bit and just tickle the clutch with a couple of fingers.  As long as it just "slips in" I don't believe it's hard on the tranny.  Don't ever force it though!  It'll go but the dogs will suffer.
206 mph on street legal electric ' Busa

Offline 03busa40th

• Apprentice Post Whore
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2008, 10:03:37 PM »
let me know when you lose 2nd gear  :thumb:

Offline B Plas

• Legacy Rider
  • Post Whore
  • Why not just tell it the way it is?
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2008, 05:03:31 PM »
let me know when you lose 2nd gear  :thumb:

lol
"A man's gotta know his limitations"

Offline 071300r

• Rider
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2008, 12:07:03 PM »
hello all my name is john, I am new here but not new to bikes. I have power shifted every bike I have owned and never had a problem and my 2007 busa has 17650 miles on her and has been power shifted since I bought it new in July of 2007. No tranny problems yet...

Offline piratediverjefff

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2008, 05:58:16 PM »
hello all my name is john, I am new here but not new to bikes. I have power shifted every bike I have owned and never had a problem and my 2007 busa has 17650 miles on her and has been power shifted since I bought it new in July of 2007. No tranny problems yet...

You're a very lucky man Johnny(compared to the 1000 or so of us who have experienced the Busa 2nd gear issue)...i see you possibly winning the lottery soon. :lol: :thumb:
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day,light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline JC PAINT WORKZ

• Post Whore
  • []D [] []\/[] []D
    • JC PAINT WORKZ
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2008, 11:29:51 PM »
gotta r&d tranny and still wont speed shift... thats why theres a clutch there.. for a reason.. i wont do it

Offline piratediverjefff

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2008, 08:16:18 AM »
gotta r&d tranny and still wont speed shift... thats why theres a clutch there.. for a reason.. i wont do it

...even used my clutch and my 2nd gear still messed up,now it's my CO2 shifter or not at all. :thumb:

Offline newbusaguy

• Rider
  • Another day at work!!!
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2008, 12:55:58 PM »
My bike will absolutely not power shift and my tranny is stock. So it is the good Ole' pull in the clutch lever for me and like 1000's of others I have the good old 2nd gear issue but not for long!!!
Shoot straight, never hesitate!
2002 Grey and Silver Busa

Offline JTCOOL

• Rider
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2008, 08:34:15 PM »
I think i'll stick to the old-fashon way. 8)

Offline FastGixx

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2008, 11:21:15 PM »
if you do it right, you'll never hurt it. 

Same goes with using the clutch..

You can round the dogs on second with one screwed up shift.   from there it's all down hill.

You can screw it up using the clutch too..    It's all in knowing how to shift the bike - clutch or no clutch

Offline Rocketgeezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2008, 08:38:33 AM »
if you do it right, you'll never hurt it. 

Same goes with using the clutch..

You can round the dogs on second with one screwed up shift.   from there it's all down hill.

You can screw it up using the clutch too..    It's all in knowing how to shift the bike - clutch or no clutch
Your 100% right on all counts sounds like you may have done it before?       LOL
The older you get do you notice you start chickening out way before the bike does