Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Very simple clutch question.  (Read 7644 times)

Offline BlueCat!

• Post Master
Very simple clutch question.
« on: November 11, 2002, 04:46:00 PM »
Cable or hydro operated clutch. Which is better for maintenance and performance?
Sandy fan!

Up to my neck in shit...standing on your shoulders.

Offline Yngve

• Post Master
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2002, 04:52:00 PM »
Servo operated is by far the most coplicated and useless... It is however used on a few Japanese only bikes.
I dont know what I am talking about but I do know that I am right :)

Offline BlueCat!

• Post Master
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2002, 05:49:00 PM »
Yngve. I've seen some of your replies before. You sound like you know your stuff. Have five stars. But don't hold back. Why is servo useless by comparison. Which is better to own. I thinking of getting a second bike, but I want something easier for the novice to maintain.
Sandy fan!

Offline Steve A

• Universal Post Whore
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2002, 06:03:00 PM »
Funny it was the two hottest bikes of their time - Vincent and Hayabusa.

Offline BlueCat!

• Post Master
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2002, 06:49:00 PM »
Uh?  
Sandy fan!

Offline Steve A

• Universal Post Whore
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2002, 06:54:00 PM »
So far, none of this has pertained to your original question.  

Cable has a slightly better feel (according to most people).

Hydraulic allows more clutch pressure without a "Popeye" left forearm.

Servo bit just means they had some sort of mechanical arrangement to apply more pressure to the clutch plates/discs to avoid clutch slip without having extremely stiff springs in the clutch assembly.

Offline BiggerDanno

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
  • HOW FAST IS FAST?
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2002, 06:57:00 PM »
Yep.
A man is not old until regrets take the place of dreams...John Barrymore

Too much power is addictive!!!

Offline Steve A

• Universal Post Whore
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2002, 07:11:00 PM »
Incidentally, Neither of the above mentioned bikes are very good at drag racing in their stock (clutch) condition.  The Vincent would burn out on the spot and the Hayabusa won't launch cleanly.  Both, however, lock up "tighter than Dicks hatband" once they are fully engaged and rolling.  I don't think Philip Vincent or Phil Irving or someone at Suzuki had Drag Racing as a priority in their design thoughts.  Both were probably thought of as extremely high speed road bikes.  Which they were/are, of course.

Offline BlueCat!

• Post Master
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2002, 07:29:00 PM »
Steve A. I don't know if I'm easily impressed, but how the hell have you ended up with four stars? Here, have five from me.

What about maintainance? Which is the easier to live with/most reliable?
Sandy fan!

Offline Steve A

• Universal Post Whore
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2002, 07:52:00 PM »
I had 5 originally - then I guess someone didn't like me.  Didn't seem to affect any future meals or anything serious though.

There is probably not a whole lot of difference in the reliability or maintenance between the two.  Mostly it would be a matter of what came on the bike you ended up with.

If I understood your question correctly, you are asking about the difference between methods of operating the clutch.  Not about the clutch per se.  Kits are available to change the Hayabusa to cable operation.  Claim being better control leaving the line.
If you aren't a drag racer it's probably immaterial anyway.

Offline mach1mike

• Post Whore
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2002, 10:32:00 PM »
I've had a few of both. IMO the hydraulic is better for street use. A nicely lubed and operating clutch lever with a new cable correctly routed gives you a nice feel, kind or a direct input feel, but it does not last long, as the cable wears it's lining, needs to be taken off and lubed regularly after a fairly short period, develops tight spots, kinks and the good feeling goes away fairly quickly. The hydraulic, which feels almost as good, stays the same until you need to replace seals, a long time. Also, although it only happened to me once, sitting at a light with the clutch engaged in low gear and having a cable snap and make you lurch into the intersection is no fun. With me, I only went a foot or so, but have seen guys rev the engine and it snap and they shoot forward 10 feet or so. Emrabassing too, dead in the water in the middle of an intersection.
Mike

Offline BlueCat!

• Post Master
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2002, 11:32:00 PM »
Good reply Mach1. Thanks. I was thinking against cable myself, as something to live with. Maintainance-wise it has to be the worse of the two, but I wanted to know the pros and cons - no matter how small.
Sandy fan!

Offline Dwight-PA

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2002, 10:37:00 PM »
I'm with mach1mike for all the same reasons.

I've had several clutch cables snap but never had a hydraulic clutch actuator failure. Yes, I like the usually lighter pull of a clutch cable slightly better but it's not a big deal and with hydraulic, there's no need to make periodic adjustments as required when using a clutch cable as it stretches. I'm constantly making small adjustments to the clutch cable on my GSXR1000 to take up the slack and it's annoying as hell. I've never had a clutch cable require as many adjustments in such short periods of time as on my 01 GSXR1000. You'd think the cable was made of licorice or something.