Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: 99' busa cuts out after 10 minutes **fixed!!** now another problem  (Read 15357 times)

Offline nykon

• Rider
  • Where am I?
Ok since I have determined its not the battery or the charger, what could be causeing my problem?

The bike starts and runs absolutly beautiful for about 10 minutes then will just stutter and die and refue to restart. When I check my battery the charge drops about .2volts each time, unless charged.

I started the bike took it up and down the street a dozen or so times and it ran like new or even better than new. I went all the way up to 4th gear with only minimal sluggishness then it smoothed out and ran great. Then about 10 minutes pass and she dies and wont start.

Could it be the rectifier as stated in my battery thread or could it be a burnt out fuel pump? The idle seems a little choppy but maybe varies by 50-100rpm. The thottle seems sluggish and unresponsive until it warms up then smooths out nicely.

I am starting to lean towards the fuel pump, but I am honestly not sure. If you guys need I can even make a video of it running so you can see and hear what I am.

The above is fixed, I had a kinked return line.

Heres my newest problem;

The bike runs very strong until I try to go wide open throttle. It will just fall on its face until I let off. It seems to noise dive as if I am hitting the limiter. All fuel filters are new/removed/or cleaned less than 100 miles ago. Any ideas?

I know posted this later in the pages but I am making it easier to read. Hope BigGar is happy now.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2006, 02:34:29 PM by nykon »

THEMOTORHEAD

Re: 99' busa cuts out after 10 minutes
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2006, 12:20:37 AM »
CLOGGED FUEL SCREENS OR PUMPS GOIN
OLD NEWS

Offline E-RACER

• Universal Post Whore
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2006, 12:30:07 AM »
And/or make sure the fuel lines arent kinking when the tanks comes down..

Offline nykon

• Rider
  • Where am I?
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2006, 01:07:25 AM »
CLOGGED FUEL SCREENS OR PUMPS GOIN
OLD NEWS

All brand new filters.

Pumps my thoughts.

there any way to test the pump its self?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2006, 01:10:38 AM by nykon »

Offline nykon

• Rider
  • Where am I?
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2006, 01:09:11 AM »
And/or make sure the fuel lines arent kinking when the tanks comes down..

I have all brand new lines on. I check many times before seating the tank all the way. So I should be ok there.

Offline 396

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2006, 01:21:15 AM »
if the pump has never been changed I would suspect that first. Several different places in the stock pump that clog. Also, be sure to check the mesh screen filter inside the tank, it will also develope a build up of soot and will cause starvation before it ever gets to the pump. Located on the underside of the tank. remove from bike and unscrew the bolts.

Offline nykon

• Rider
  • Where am I?
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2006, 01:36:59 AM »
if the pump has never been changed I would suspect that first. Several different places in the stock pump that clog. Also, be sure to check the mesh screen filter inside the tank, it will also develope a build up of soot and will cause starvation before it ever gets to the pump. Located on the underside of the tank. remove from bike and unscrew the bolts.
hmm

All the filters and screens are eitehr cleaned or replaced in the pump housing and fuel injectors.
Didnt know there were filters in the tank itself. Ill take it out tomarrow and check it.

And yes its the original pump.

Offline tinmann8

• Post Master
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2006, 11:45:25 AM »
Is there a way to prevent this from happening in the first place? Would a good gas treatment/fuel injector cleaner prevent the screens from clogging?

Offline nykon

• Rider
  • Where am I?
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2006, 12:27:57 PM »
Is there a way to prevent this from happening in the first place? Would a good gas treatment/fuel injector cleaner prevent the screens from clogging?

You shouldnt have to worry unless you have a 99, but it cut my regular teardown down of the pump for cleaning by about 2-3 months, meaning I got 2-3 more months before I had to clean the screens. You'll still have to do it, but it gives you a little extra time.

So is everyone pretty satisfied that its my fuel pump? Cause I'll end up getting a replace ment if it is.

Offline nykon

• Rider
  • Where am I?
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2006, 01:01:58 PM »

There are many things that could be causing the issue. In "Dealer Mode" are you getting any error codes?

1. Make certain the fuel tank vents are NOT pinched closed, as that would cause an increasing vacuum in the fuel tank which eventually cuts off fuel. As soon as the engine dies next time, immediately open the fuel tank and listen for a whoosh of air. Also, try starting the engine again, immediately after having opened the fuel tank.

2. Make certain your fuel lines are not crimping once the engine heats up. They may not be crimped fully while cold but once the heat of the engine softens them, it may allow the fuel inlet hose to the pump to crimp and close off.

3. After the engine has shut down (which you indicated takes roughly 10 minutes), when you turn the ignition key to the "On" position, can you hear the fuel pump running? There's always a chance the fuel pump relay coil has developed a shorted turn in its winding which is causing it to drop its relay contacts, cutting off voltage to your fuel pump.   

4. How long do you have to wait before you can actually start the engine once again?

I don't have the code reader for dealer mode.

1: That could be the very problem!! I remember putting the tank back and cursing at the vent lines as they kept getting in the way.

2: I'll quadruple check the lines.

3: Yes if I turn the key, I can hear the pump cycling fuel through. I can see it flow through my inline filter.

4: I usually dont get the engine started again for a while, I usually put it back on the charger and wait an hour or so.

I'll test these all once I get home from work, which wont be for about 9 hours.  :?

Offline jeffw

• Post Whore
    • JSD Products, LLC
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2006, 05:39:00 PM »

I don't have the code reader for dealer mode.

JDMS isa what you need..... to put your bike into dealer mode for the error code...... or temp you could use a papger clip.

Offline 396

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2006, 06:22:50 PM »
real easy to do.

Offline sunnie

• Rider
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2006, 07:29:40 PM »
Are you sure the lines are not crossed from tank to pump?????????????????????
Just a little ; More than enough

Offline nykon

• Rider
  • Where am I?
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2006, 04:49:11 PM »
Well, thanks quasar for you help. There was one vent line under the tank the was pniched. made sure they flowed without them pinching. Started the bike, it ran for 10 minutes then cut out.

Then decided to change the oil since the bike was warm, low and behold theres not a wrench of any kind to be found in over $10,000 of tools that will fit the filter. SO now I cant even change the damn oil. I am about to just kick the damn thing over and sell it. I cant deal with this shit anymore... I have no money to have it looked at let alone get it fixed. I am about to sell the whole damn bike to pay off the remaining $1000 on the loan. I just cant keep thinking its done and ready and have this keep happening.

I give up..

Offline busamagic

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2006, 04:54:31 PM »
are you anywhere close to lexington,ky? if so i could come help ya and try to figure it out.i am not master bike mechanic but together we could probably get it going.
Cruising on a Harley

Offline oneway

• Rider
  • Kansas City MO
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2006, 06:28:51 PM »
Fuel pump?

Offline sambusa

• Post Whore
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2006, 08:36:09 PM »
when he stall how much volt in the battery

Offline nykon

• Rider
  • Where am I?
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2006, 08:57:56 PM »
when he stall how much volt in the battery

12.6+

Offline sambusa

• Post Whore
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2006, 09:40:38 PM »
It's OK for the ECU

Offline dogman

• Rider
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2006, 09:46:58 PM »
I have had 2 99 Busa's..Both of them have done this..Get a fuel pump from someone on the board..Usually put 8 to 10 thousnd on both of the bikes and it would do this..Then at 18 or 20.000 I would have to do the same thing..I always found a fuel pump off one of the boards..Also when it does not start raise your tank and jiggle the fuel lines then it will usually start..Get another pump and you will be fine for awhile.

Offline nykon

• Rider
  • Where am I?
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2006, 11:52:31 PM »
I have had 2 99 Busa's..Both of them have done this..Get a fuel pump from someone on the board..Usually put 8 to 10 thousnd on both of the bikes and it would do this..Then at 18 or 20.000 I would have to do the same thing..I always found a fuel pump off one of the boards..Also when it does not start raise your tank and jiggle the fuel lines then it will usually start..Get another pump and you will be fine for awhile.

ok, Ill try and raise some funds and pick one up. I am just over 11k miles right now.

Offline BUSGO

• Rider
  • Where am I? Newcastle AUSTRALIA
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2006, 06:22:12 PM »
I am not gonna say it is not the fuel pump. However, my 99 busa has 80,000 ks on the original pump and apart from cleaning the filters sometimes it is ok.  By the way.  Toss the screen from between the pump and the fuel regulator.

May I suggest you check both the KILL switch and the sidestand switch in case they are not making contact properly.

I had a bad contact on my sidestand switch and it kept causing the engine to cut in and out while I was riding along.

Worth a try mate.
Regards
BUSGO
Newcastle AUSTRALIA
Regards
BUSGO

Offline Todd

• Mad Post Whore
  • JunkScience.com
    • Hayabusa vs ZX-12R
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2006, 12:45:59 AM »
If by "kill switch" you are referring to the "tip-over" switch - then I also concur that it would be very much worth checking - especially considering all the items he has already marked off the list.

Back in 2000, my Busa would do the same as you are describing, but I would get about 20 minutes or so out of it if bike was cold/had been sitting initially.

Not so long at all if warm or recently ridden.

Battery would get drained to nothing trying to restart - it would restart and run (a long blurb really) if persistently cranked over, then promptly sputter and die.

I went through the same song and dance as you have - fuel filters/screens, checking fuel pump, fuel hoses, connections etc.

Anyway - long story short - it was the tip over sensor.

Sensor was plugged in and looked "fine" but I unplugged it anyway and sprayed the connectors with contact cleaner.

After that, I never had the problem again.   :moped:
« Last Edit: April 12, 2006, 12:51:27 AM by Todd »
Liberals always manage to take the position that most undermines American security.

Offline nykon

• Rider
  • Where am I?
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2006, 04:29:16 AM »
If by "kill switch" you are referring to the "tip-over" switch - then I also concur that it would be very much worth checking - especially considering all the items he has already marked off the list.

Back in 2000, my Busa would do the same as you are describing, but I would get about 20 minutes or so out of it if bike was cold/had been sitting initially.

Not so long at all if warm or recently ridden.

Battery would get drained to nothing trying to restart - it would restart and run (a long blurb really) if persistently cranked over, then promptly sputter and die.

I went through the same song and dance as you have - fuel filters/screens, checking fuel pump, fuel hoses, connections etc.

Anyway - long story short - it was the tip over sensor.

Sensor was plugged in and looked "fine" but I unplugged it anyway and sprayed the connectors with contact cleaner.

After that, I never had the problem again.   :moped:

ok, I'll check that in the morning.

Thanks.

Offline JW OLDBUSA

• Post Whore
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2006, 07:00:45 AM »
Elimate all screens and just do a good filter before the pump. Do big loops in lines as they can kink easy. (ask me how I know this after pushing bike for many miles back). I went aftermarket pump and regulator, got 2 t- fittings for fuel rail (Ron Ayres) to go in one and out the other to get rid of vapor lock also. Although I still have some problems with vapor lock the pump never fails.
1397= MY AFFORDABLE TURBO