Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Cracked Sprocket Drum  (Read 5326 times)

Offline Japraptor

• Rider
Cracked Sprocket Drum
« on: November 13, 2002, 11:11:00 PM »
Has anyone else had to replace their sprocket drum? I was cleaning the chain Sunday and noticed several cracks in the aluminum drum that the rear sprocket bolts onto. I wonder what one of these parts cost.  
Here And Yon All Bemoan Unfair Speed Advantage

Offline Dwight-PA

• Mad Post Whore
Cracked Sprocket Drum
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2002, 11:31:00 PM »
Not seeing them myself I certainly can't tell you that your particular sprocket drum isn't actually cracked but I thought the same thing at first when I noticed them on mine. I think what you're actually seeing are probably the casting marks from when it was made. They do look like cracks though. Want some peace of mind, go to the cycle shop and examine a new Busa's sprocket drum and you'll see the same thing. The truth will set you free.

Offline Busafied™

• Mad Post Whore
    • My Homepage and BS..
Cracked Sprocket Drum
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2002, 11:33:00 PM »
Don't freak out man, I have the Casting webs too  

they scared the PISS outta' me, when I first saw them too.

polish it a lil and you will see they go away, if Not, then You may be the First.. I haven't heard anything on that b4.

Peace,
Busafied
"You're Only Limited, By Your Own Mind..." My Home Page 
I built the Motor and the Turbo System. RIP {CDK} 11-11-08 I miss you...

Offline Japraptor

• Rider
Cracked Sprocket Drum
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2002, 12:52:00 AM »
I did go to the bike shop.I checked out 3 'Busas(one new and two that are used at the strip.)All three had nice machined stock drums.Mine was the only one that was different.I'm going to order a new one anyway and changeout.Then I'll take it to work and have the NDT guys check it out.Makes me feel better anyway.  

Offline juice

• Post Master
Cracked Sprocket Drum
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2002, 02:30:00 AM »
Don't freek out!It's part of the casting.I sh#t about the same thing,took it to dfealer only to find it was nothing.Never a prob since.12k on it.(a hard 12k)  

Offline Chainstretcher

• Post Whore
    • Chainstretcher
Cracked Sprocket Drum
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2002, 04:37:00 PM »
Since you have to take the wheel off anyway to replace it, just inspect the inside before you order a new one.  A true crack will show all the way through.  And yes, I freaked over the same thing until I took it off and inspected it.
Get over it!

Offline Japraptor

• Rider
Cracked Sprocket Drum
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2002, 07:24:00 PM »
I think that'a a good idea CS.I'm gonna do it early Saturday.Internal inspection of the drum.If it shows no signs internally,I'll reinstall and go for a ride.The weather is supposed to be great this weekend.
Thanks for all the insights and assurances.