Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: clearance issues  (Read 11799 times)

Offline 04busaLMTD

• Rider
  • ...pretty much...
clearance issues
« on: May 31, 2006, 04:21:34 PM »
after installing a billet lowering tree and after a few weeks of being erked by this....im gonna turn it over to you guys and try to find a cure  :)

my master cylinders are rubbing the plastic beneath the windscreen when i turn the handlebars in either direction....which is really only a problem when i go to park the bike....

have any of you encountered this when lowering the front end and if so how did you go about fixing it?

i've messed with the cylinders for hours trying to make little adjustments here and there but still no luck....im starting to think it might be an issue with how this particular tree was machined possibly?? and btw...i went 1 1/2" lower in the front but still it should have no affect on where the master cylinders sit.......

any help is much appreciated

Offline rosco15

• Rider
Re: clearance issues
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 04:25:59 PM »
I heard the ones on ebay do that.  i got mine from spencercycle and it's not a problem.   

Offline 04busaLMTD

• Rider
  • ...pretty much...
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 04:29:32 PM »
well...i was hoping not to hear that again  :(

but several have told me the same.....

Offline ny05busa

• Post Whore
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 04:56:57 PM »
Did you try moving the masters in farther or adjusting them up or down?
Bought 04/21/05 silver n blue busa. TI force, 16/42 , chrome lowereing clamp, lowering links, speedoheeler, double bubble, bar ends, fairing screens, tobin seats with pad, GANN arm, chrome carrezzios, carpenter 1397,vortec rearsets, mps nos, air shifter

Offline bobby5150

• Restricted
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2006, 05:00:34 PM »
you lowered the front 1 and a half...thats pretty low. mine is 1 which i heard was as low as you can go. any lower i would only do for racing and i would use a lowering strap.
"A man doesn't automatically get my respect. He has to get down in the dirt and beg for it."

Offline bobby5150

• Restricted
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2006, 05:00:58 PM »
i could be wrong though  :lol:
"A man doesn't automatically get my respect. He has to get down in the dirt and beg for it."

Offline 04busaLMTD

• Rider
  • ...pretty much...
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2006, 05:13:58 PM »
Did you try moving the masters in farther or adjusting them up or down?

have tried tweaking the masters in about every which way possible.... :x  arrrrrgh

if its my only option i guess i will try and mess with it a few more hours but my patience is running low  :twisted:

and Bobby...the front is almost 1 1/2" lower....just a little shy of 1 1/2" but i thought people normally lowered them more than that?  if not then i will have to lift it up some and see if that might work??
« Last Edit: May 31, 2006, 05:16:02 PM by 04busaLMTD »

Offline JorNic Motorsports

• Restricted
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2006, 06:10:33 PM »
bring it up higher in the trees. 1" would work. you will clear the trees better. there is a reason the stuff on ebay is cheaper... it generally is not tested rigorously by competent people. machinists mimic what they see and dont always get it right and often with cheaper (ie weaker ) material.
the bigger issue you will have is the first time you hammer the front brakes. the under portion of the nose will slap the top of the front fender. several bad things could happen if it hit hard enough.
have the fork internals lowered or buy a $20 strap and sinch it down. lots of guys say not to do it on the street and with good reason... but there are tons of guys using them without a problem.

Offline 04busaLMTD

• Rider
  • ...pretty much...
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2006, 06:25:46 PM »
TripleB...i've still got enough clearance between the nose and the front fender i couldn't possibly see it hitting the fender if i get on the brakes as hard as you say....plus i've got the preload on the front set pretty high so i can't forsee anything like that happening but i'm not doubting that it can't  :)

but you're saying to lift the thing up probably a half inch in the front and go from there??

and as for lowering straps...congrats to those that use them...but they are not my style....

Offline 04busaLMTD

• Rider
  • ...pretty much...
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2006, 04:16:03 AM »
anyone else ever had this issue before?

Offline 06moneypit

• Rider
  • need boost!
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2006, 08:43:18 AM »
sorry man, I went with 1" on a riser than dropped it. no clearance issues.

Offline bobby5150

• Restricted
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2006, 11:40:56 AM »
sorry man, I went with 1" on a riser than dropped it. no clearance issues.

+1

Offline Bonedust

• Mad Post Whore
  • boost or bust
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2006, 03:43:10 PM »
i had the same problem when i ran the super tall reaper risers. my reservoirs hit my windscreen. i ended up trimming my windscreen so they cleared.

i still have the modded clear double-bubble. id sell it cheap.

The Poison Idea- TMH T61 Ultra kit (500+ hp), 3-deg frame rake, BST wheels, Speigler 8-pot calipers and masters, Mac 0-6 arm, full CF body work.

Offline busa tamer

• Rider
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2006, 03:45:33 PM »
 1in on mine and it leaves a dull strip on the top of fender, from fender just touching the black plastic under nose.Any lower and you'll break something.

Offline bobby5150

• Restricted
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2006, 03:46:24 PM »
can i see a pic of one of you guys lower 1 1/2

Offline 04busaLMTD

• Rider
  • ...pretty much...
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2006, 03:57:00 PM »
i'll try and get you a pic bobby...

but it appears as if im gonna have to raise it up about a 1/2" now  :(

Offline Blue Streak

• Post Master
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2006, 07:53:39 PM »
Here is mine lowered about 1 1/2 up front and strapped (sorry not the best pic). I had to remove the black plastic under the nose but the fender has never hit the nose and it has had some extremely hard landings from wheelies at the track.

[attachment deleted by admin]
02 Silver/Grey  Turbo Busa * T61 NLR kit*
04 Black SWB Turbo Busa * DBB stage 2*

Offline Blue Streak

• Post Master
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2006, 07:56:44 PM »
04Busa I had the same problem with a triple clamp I got from ebay, I actually got it adjusted where they didn't hit any longer but it put my levers at weird angles. I ended up selling it and going with a ProMachining triple clamp and am very glad I did, it fits perfect and is a much nicer piece.  8)

Offline Blue Streak

• Post Master
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2006, 09:07:01 PM »
Ok let me try a different pic.......

Yeah you can see it a little better in these pics.

Offline 04busaLMTD

• Rider
  • ...pretty much...
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2006, 07:08:40 AM »
a big thanks for the help Blue Streak.....im gonna try and find a way to make this thing work....my levers are already at wierd angles that i am trying to get used to....

anybody have a good price on a NON-ebay top triple clamp just in case i feel like sayin fuck it????

Offline Blue Streak

• Post Master
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2006, 08:03:23 AM »
a big thanks for the help Blue Streak.....im gonna try and find a way to make this thing work....my levers are already at wierd angles that i am trying to get used to....

anybody have a good price on a NON-ebay top triple clamp just in case i feel like sayin fuck it????

No problem I wish I could help more. It depends on what type of triple clamp you want, do you want another top clamp like you have or do you you want a one piece clamp. If you want another one like you have but that fits for a good price I would contact Doug at Spencer Cycle he will take care of you and give you the best price. If you want a one piece clamp I would go with the ProMachining clamp its a good bit more expensive but does away with the two piece upper clamp.  8)

Offline 04busaLMTD

• Rider
  • ...pretty much...
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2006, 03:35:44 PM »
aight....thanks for the help

Offline 06moneypit

• Rider
  • need boost!
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2006, 04:35:52 PM »
there is my 1"

Offline bobby5150

• Restricted
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2006, 05:11:17 PM »
where did you get that and how much.

Offline 06moneypit

• Rider
  • need boost!
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2006, 05:24:27 PM »
sorry bobby its a 7075 chunk of billet, and it cost me free 99. I work at and undisclosed aerospace company. Sometimes it has its perks, I do have the source model I drew it from........