Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: 'Busabuser's Instant Bling How To  (Read 4166 times)

Offline X E Ryder

• Post Whore
'Busabuser's Instant Bling How To
« on: June 04, 2006, 06:53:14 PM »
In the interest of adding some custom Bling for almost nothing, I thought I would share one way I like to customize my bikes.

Any part of your bike that is a painted aluminum casting (such as grab handles, engine covers, wheels, and a number of bracketry items) can be stripped and polished for an inexpensive shiny upgrade.

All you need from a hardware store is:

* Jasco paint & epoxy remover
* Cheap paint brush
* Good rubber gloves
* Large piece of cardboard
* Fine steel wool
* Bucket of water

Wear the gloves, this stuff is REALLY corrosive! Paint the Jasco on the item, grab bar in this case. Leave it on for 10 minutes. Use the steel wool and water bucket to clean off the paint. If it did not all come off repeat. Wash off the Jasco with lots of water. Run the piece through a buffer and finish with some buttery polish like Mother's Mag and Aluminum Polish. If you do not have a buffer you can hand polish, it just takes a little longer.

See the Left side of the handle? That is only 30 seconds of using the buffing wheel, easy huh?

UPDATE: I did the stator cover too, came out nice. I discovered unlike my last 5 bikes, THIS ONE has a wet stator, I found this out when I spilled oil all over and ruined the gasket - DAMNIT! Made a new gasket and it's all good now.

Hope this gives you some ideas. (Make sure you will be able to polish up the item by stripping an unseen area first!)

« Last Edit: June 08, 2006, 08:45:40 PM by X E Ryder »

Offline bobby5150

• Restricted
  • Mad Post Whore
Re: 'Busabuser's Instant Bling How To
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2006, 07:07:24 PM »
i do the long way form 60 to 1000 grit sand paper...then buffing. i did my sprocket cover today.
"A man doesn't automatically get my respect. He has to get down in the dirt and beg for it."

Offline X E Ryder

• Post Whore
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 09:40:48 AM »
Yeah, that was how I used to do it too, but sanding out all those compound curves can be a pain in the ass.

All the paint just falls off with no sanding this way, leaving a bare casting. You ought to give it a try!  8)

Offline bobby5150

• Restricted
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2006, 11:16:27 AM »
we used jasco on my buddys wheels.  :wink:
"A man doesn't automatically get my respect. He has to get down in the dirt and beg for it."

Offline bobby5150

• Restricted
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2006, 02:32:43 PM »
heres some sanding from this weekend.

Offline X E Ryder

• Post Whore
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2006, 05:55:57 PM »
Hey that reminds me!

Do the stock wheels polish out if stripped?

Sometime wheel metal does not come out that good or polish up very well.

Any pictures of some stock wheels polished not chromed?

Thanks.

Offline Bigdogg

• Pat McCrotch
  • Rider
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2006, 09:34:28 PM »
Stock wheels do polish.  They are half machine finish and half rough cast (up by the spokes).  I stripped them myself then took them to a local guy who has been polishing metals for about 40 years.  He does it in his shop out back of his house.  He has a big polishing wheel / machine, and knows his stuff.  It's a mirror finish when you get them back. 

This is the only picture I could find.