Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: 2006 Limited - "Blanco Boosta"  (Read 59101 times)

Offline Jimzu

• Post Whore
    • Gearhead Clothing, Inc.
2006 Limited - "Blanco Boosta"
« on: June 07, 2006, 09:40:10 PM »
12 miles on the odometer... 15 minutes at home... I can't keep my hands off her... Only the beginning...

« Last Edit: July 21, 2006, 10:26:58 PM by Jimzu »

Offline 06moneypit

• Rider
  • need boost!
Re: Jimzu's 2006 Busa
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2006, 05:30:30 PM »
sweet!

Offline Jimzu

• Post Whore
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2006, 12:19:55 PM »
Spent 20 minutes on it this afternoon... My 2 year old takes precedence... I plan to install the full D&D exhaust, PAIR valve kiit, and K&N filter.

New Micron stand.

Removed left fairing.

Removed right fairing.

Attached tank pad - to match the tank emblem.

More later...
« Last Edit: June 10, 2006, 12:21:51 PM by Jimzu »

Offline Jimzu

• Post Whore
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2006, 11:06:53 AM »
Spent about an hour on the bike this morning. Will install the full D&D polished system. Here's what I did...

Removed stock cans.

Removed fan to give me some room. Also loosened radiator to allow better access, and taped cardboard behind it to prevent too much damage. Pic shows knuckles still got bloody...

Removed exhaust header. Had to try various positions to pull it out. As you can see, the radiator still got a little banged up.

Stock exhaust ready for storage.

Began the PAIR valve removal using the kit from Reaper (a good guy). Got the tubes out. Plugged the airbox inlet line. Then I tried to install the throttle body vacuum cap on the inlet nipple. I could not access the nipple from the outside. I loosened all bolts on the upper box assembly and had to pull it up pretty hard to lift it off the T body assembly to access the nipple. Side shot of the T body.

Removed PAIR valve lines and installed the blockoff plates.

PAIR valve assembly off and ready for storage.

Installed K&N air filter. I decided to do the air box mod later.

More to come...
« Last Edit: June 11, 2006, 09:51:39 PM by Jimzu »

Offline Jimzu

• Post Whore
Re: Jimzu's 2006 Busa LE
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2006, 05:54:52 PM »
Spent another 2 hours on the bike this afternoon. Here's the recap...

I pulled the upper airbox off and installed the vacuum cap on the T body inlet nipple. It only took me about 5 minutes... I just had to pull the box up a little harder than I thought. No problem.

I installed the D&D exhaust header. This piece is really nice and the workmanship is top notch. It fits nicely too.

I installed the cross over pipe, the mid pipes and the cans. Again, the finish and fit is nice. The tightening sequence is definitely from rear to front. Any other way would not work properly. One note... Be sure to install the exhaust clamps and tighten them all at 6 oclock and 12 oclock to be sure exhaust leaks are minimized. After about 30 minutes of tightening and loosening and re-tightening, I still had two small leaks where the crossover pipe meets the midpipe.

The only issue is, from the rear, my left can sits about and inch or two lower than the right can. I'm re-adjusting but not having much luck. I think in the end it will be about one inch off. Hardly noticeable.

Next, I hit a snag. As I was tightening the left side midpipe rear clamp, I snapped the bolt. So I had to break for the day and pick up a new bolt tomorrow. All I have left to do is install the clamp and re-install the fairings.

The D&D double can full exhaust sounds AWESOME. Much better than stock. A lower deeper rumble at idle, and a nice mid-tone when throttled. Throttle response even seems a slight bit better. Looking forward to a test drive this week.

More to come...

Offline Jimzu

• Post Whore
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2006, 11:25:51 PM »
I spent about 30 minutes on the bike tonight, and finished the exhaust installation.

I bought a replacement exhaust clamp bolt at Ace Hardware, installed the clamp, and re-installed the fairings and belly pan.

Finished exhaust, left side.

Finished exhaust, right side.

Careful underneath, the exhaust touches the front lip of the fairing. I expect some burn marks, so I may dremmel away some material tomorrow after a test ride.

So far I have about 4 hours invested in replacing the stock exhaust with a D&D full kit, removing the PAIR valve assembly, installing the Reaper PAIR valve blockoff kit, and installing a K&N filter. I think anyone who is somewhat mechanically inclined can do the same no problem.

I picked up my PC-III tonight. I will download a map and install it tomorrow. I plan to dyno tune the bike within a week. The Motorhead undertail is out to paint right now. I expect it back Friday. The lowering kit (Soupy's dogbones and Reaper risers) should be here tomorrow. More to come...
« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 11:43:49 PM by Jimzu »

Offline Jimzu

• Post Whore
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2006, 08:09:33 PM »
I mapped the PC-III last night, by downloading the maps from the supplied disk. I chose the map for "2002-2006 GSX1300R Leo Vince Full Exhaust Stock or Aftermarket Air Filter". It was the closest one to my setup. I installed the unit tonight in literally under 5 minutes. Simply disconnect the harness under the tank, place PC-III harness between them, route the wires along the frame, attach the ground wire to the battery negative terminal, and mount the box with supplied velcro under the tail. Very simple.

Here is the harness installed.

Here is the box installed.

The D&D exhaust sounds real nice. The map I used works really well. The bike runs noticeably quicker, with improved throttle response throughout the RPM range. Got 48 miles now. Getting fun...

More to come...

« Last Edit: July 02, 2006, 04:31:43 PM by Jimzu »

Offline Jimzu

• Post Whore
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2006, 09:28:26 PM »
A UPS delivery just came to the door. So I installed the Zero Gravity windscreen, purchased from Reaper. This was another 5 minute installation. Remove and replace two allen bolts and two plastic pushpin snaps.

Here's the windscreen. I got the dark smoke. Raised up top for better guage visibility. Dark in the garage. The Zero Gravity stickers will be removed tomorrow.

Waiting on the undertail from the painter. Then I will install that and the lowering kit.

More to come...

Offline soupy

• Site Supporter
  • Post Whore
    • Soupys Performance
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2006, 08:23:29 PM »
 :beechug:
Official Site Supporter

Offline SPARKY1397R

• Universal Post Whore
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2006, 11:31:05 PM »
lookin good,  those zg stickers peel right off and then the sticky stuff can be washed off with your normal bike washing.

Offline Jimzu

• Post Whore
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2006, 01:48:12 AM »
More progress... Last week I got the Motorhead undertail with the clear alternatives integrated LED signals. I had the undertail laser color matched and painted. Last weekend I removed the tail section. It only took me about 10 minutes to strip it all off. Very simple.

I got the undertail back from my painter on Monday, but have been busy at work all week, bought a new car, etc... Here's the piece almost ready for installation.

I did mess a little with the taillight assembly earlier this week. I removed the stock assembly and wired the new LED assembly. Tonight I thought I'd spend about an hour re-installing everything. But, it never seems to go like you think... Here's a summary...

I drilled the 2 front solid mount holes, and the 6 bolt holes in the undertail at the pre-formed dimples to accept the supplied mounting bolts. I started with 6 smaller pilot holes, then enlarged to the proper size. For anyone trying this, I'd suggest two things. 1) If you already painted the undertail, use masking tape over the area to be drilled. 2) Drill your holes as far to the outside of the dimples as possible. As you will see, this undertail is a pretty solid piece and doesn't allow much bending to match up with the stock tail's mounting holes. So do yourself a favor and place the holes to the outside as much as possible. When mounting, I suggest starting with the two forward solid mount bolts, and leave them loose to allow the undertail to be moved a bit while installing the remaining bolts. Then find a way to muscle the stock tail to the undertail and line up the holes. It aint easy...

I installed the LED assembly in the stock tail bracket. But once I got it in place, I realized the tag light lower assembly and lens were still there. Here's what it looked like. It's not clean enough for me...

Since I want a clean look, I opted to remove the tag light housing on the bottom of the taillight assembly, and I also removed the tag light lens at the bottom portion of the clear alternatives lens. A dremel with a cutting wheel works fine. Just use a grinding stone afterwards to touch up the cuts. Then I re-installed the taillight/signal assembly. Here's what it looked like afterwards. Much cleaner... Also, notice the gap between the undertail and the stock tail. This was a 4 beer gap...

I began to install the 6 supplied bolts and clips to the stock tail and undertail. I could only manage to get 4 installed. The two center bolts simply would not mate with the clips, due to the tail section and the undertail not coming together. I muscled this around for a while and couldn't get it. I did manage to crack the undertail fiberglass about 4 inches on the front underside. Hardly noticeable but I hope it doesn't creep. I will attempt to try to match up the 2 remaining holes again tomorrow, but I'm not too confident... So here's what it looks like at the moment.

The most time consuming part of the undertail installation, was attempting to mate the stock tail piece with the undertail to line up the mount holes and insert the bolts. This probably took me a good hour or so. And I still have 2 bolts to go. Once the undertail is painted, this install took me about 3 hours. Again, at least one hour was muscling the tail around. Another 20 minutes was cutting the tag lens and tag light housing off. If the undertail kit had 3/4" wider lips around the piece it would allow more efficient fitment. Otherwise, I'm pretty pleased with it.

Now on my parts list is a new tag bracket. I wanted to keep a fender mounted tag, to keep the bike proportioned. But it may not be too possible unless I fab a bracket to hang off the rear-most tail bolts. So I'm looking at a black swingarm mounted bracket. Then I'll need wiring for a tag light...

Tomorrow I expect to install the Soupy's rear lowering kit and the Reaper front risers. More to come...
« Last Edit: November 14, 2006, 04:06:20 PM by Jimzu »

Offline Jimzu

• Post Whore
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2006, 03:02:01 PM »
I buttoned up the undertail as best I could, just to get it roadworthy. I left the two center holes open, and I'll deal with it later.

I did some suspension work. I installed the Soupy's fully adjustable rear lowering links, and the Reaper 1-3/4" risers.

In order to install the rear links, I put the bike on the stand, and placed a jack under the pivot point, lifting it slightly to take weight off the suspension. I removed the stock link bolts, and replaced the links with the Soupy's dog bones. The only hangup was removing the bolt on the left side, as the chain was in the way. I had to lift the rear tire with my forearm and manipulate the bolt out of the assembly. The rear link installation took me about 50 minutes.

In order to install the risers, I removed the lower front fairing (the black plastic piece) and the windscreen. I removed the 4 allen bolts holding the top bracket. There are 4 chrome allen caps on these. You have to remove them with a small phillips head screwdriver. They get damaged in the process, so I said bye bye to mine. After removing those bolts, I also loosened the two clamp screws on the upper legs. Then I went underneath and loosened the 4 slider bolts. At that point the front end sank down the entire way. I leveled it off and tightened everything down and replaced the plastics. I must give props to Reaper, this kit is slick. It comes with spacers and new bolts/nuts. The bars do not hit the windscreen and the cables remain long enough. If only the spacers were powdercoated, chrome, or polished... I'll powdercoat them later. Installing this kit took me 40 minutes.

Here is the riser kit installed...

Here are a few shots of the bike now. It's starting to look better. It sits about 2 inches lower. My test ride proved it still rides very nice, and the feel is better with a lower center of gravity. 

Undertail...

Lowered suspension - left...

Lowered suspension - right...

I even rigged up a temporary tag bracket just to get me on the road until I get a nice one. I used the stock reflector bracket and hung it off one of the open undertail holes. Yes, it's hokey, but it works...  :P

Next, I will be getting a tag relocator and an adjustable kickstand. I'm also searching for some nice wheels to go with the extended arm. I'm probably going to go with the Pro One Sinister II chrome with black tribal inserts... And I'll probably replace my D&D polished cans with their carbon fiber cans... Hell, they already have about 40 miles on them... Yes I have a sickness... More to come.

Hopefully, someone finds this thread interesting... Maybe not... I simply thought that it might do someone else good who might be looking at the same mods I'm doing...  :?:
« Last Edit: June 27, 2006, 09:16:02 PM by Jimzu »

Offline Ksana

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2006, 05:16:27 PM »
VERY NICE WRITE UP
Prolly the best I've seen
Bike is lookin  :kickass:

sickness...I don't u look pretty healthy puttin those hrs on the bike
keep it up :thumb:

just a thought
but on the extended arm
make sure to check that the license bracket will fit
mine works w/ Trac & not w/ others

Offline Jimzu

• Post Whore
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2006, 04:38:24 PM »
Thanks Ksana.

Last night while parking at the gym I actually paid attention to the kickstand being too high, because it was windy... So today I dropped by my buddy Dave's shop, DD Custom Cycle (one of the top custom bike builders in the country). First, we got those damn middle bolts in the undertail... Then I leaned the bike over, he cut 1-1/4 inches out of the kickstand, re-welded the bottom plate on, ground it smooth, and shot it black. Took less than 5 minutes... Now it sits perfect on the stand. Who needs a $200 aftermarket kickstand? Who needs a notched kickstand mod? :P Check this out. The cut was made just under the foot knob. Can you tell?

1-1/4 inches shorter...

2-1/2 inches lower in the rear, 1-3/4 inches lower in the front, resting on the modified stock kickstand...

Next, a simple, custom fabbed tag bracket is in the works. More to come...
« Last Edit: June 27, 2006, 09:17:36 PM by Jimzu »

Offline Jimzu

• Post Whore
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2006, 07:10:52 PM »
Okay, I got sick of looking for a simple, clean tag mount for a Motorhead undertail. Plus, I did NOT want to drill holes into my newly painted undertail... So I got creative. Here are the details.

My buddy Dave plasma cut two 4-1/2 inch by 1-1/4 inch plates to use as mounts, and beveled the corners. I mocked them up to the 2 rear-most bolts holding the undertail to the tailpiece, and bent them as needed to get the proper angle to mount a tag. I cut 1/8 inch rubber pieces to go between the plates and the body. I took the stock plate mount piece from the stock undertail and re-used that, along with the stock hardware.

Here are the parts I used, from top to bottom. 2 pieces of black rubber cut to fit the 2 new brackets; 2 plasma cut brackets bent on a vise to the proper angle and drilled to accomodate the stock undertail bolts and tag bracket; and the stock tag bracket that comes from the factory to hold the tag. I also re-used the stock hardware and the bolts supplied with the undertail... 

Here are the 2 mounting brackets I bent and mocked up on the rear undertail bolts. The rubber inserts rest between the plates and the body to serve as a little paint protection...

Now, I'm holding the stock tag bracket underneath the mounting brackets to center it and mark for holes. I placed the tag bracket against those plates and marked the holes for drilling and attachment...

Since the mount plates would be visible from the sides, I painted the 2 plates semi-gloss black to match...

I bolted the 2 newly painted brackets to the undertail with the bolts supplied with the Motorhead undertail. I then bolted the stock tag bracket to those 2 plates. Then I bolted the tag to the stock tag bracket using the OEM tag screws. I also picked up a $5.00 chrome tag frame to top it off. Eventually I'll get a nicer piece, but this was handy and it works fine for now...

Here is the entire assembly from the right side...

Here it is from the rear...

Another...

The entire modification, from fabrication to installation, took a total of about 30 minutes. What do you think? I hope someone is reading this...  :| 

More to come...

« Last Edit: July 02, 2006, 04:30:26 PM by Jimzu »

Offline Ksana

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2006, 07:33:02 PM »
Now thats what I like to see
something you don't see everyday
I almost want to order an MH undertail :lol:

BTW did you use any spacers (rubber or some kind of cushion) in between the tail & the mounts?
To keep it from scratching up your tail (vibration)

Looks nice!!!!!!

Offline Jimzu

• Post Whore
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2006, 07:37:24 PM »
Ksana, thanks. And yes, I cut pieces of rubber <see first pic - they're just above the raw mount plates> and I placed them between the plates and the body. :wink:

Offline Ksana

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2006, 07:39:43 PM »
modding the kickstand...very innovative

do a search for the kickstand mod(it should have pics, if not pm your email, I'll send u some pics w/ details)
basically take a Dremel
make 2 notches in the front
so it kind of locks it in place
to prevent tipovers

I think your mod will work too
but you can never be too sure

ALSO ANYONE ELSE READING THIS
OBVIOUSLY HE KNOWS WHAT HE'S DOING, WORKING ON BIKES!!
BUT THIS IS THE KIND OF MEMBERS WE NEED ON THIS BOARD
NO DRAMA...
I WISH I THOUGHT OF DETAILING THE PHASES MY BUSA WENT THRU
HELL I DON'T EVEN HAVE PICTURES (MAYBE LIKE 8, AT THE MOST)

KEEP IT UP BRO
AND GLAD TO HAVE YOU ON THE BOARD
STEPHEN
« Last Edit: June 27, 2006, 08:39:21 PM by Ksana »

Offline Ksana

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2006, 07:45:56 PM »
Ksana, thanks. And yes, I cut pieces of rubber <see first pic - they're just above the raw mount plates> and I placed them between the plates and the body. :wink:
I saw them in the 1st pic
and mounted (but only on the left side)
when I paid closer attention (I saw the right one)
also it looks like you got the two center holes lined up too
BTW clean welds on the kickstand(can't even see em) :thumb:

Offline Jimzu

• Post Whore
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2006, 08:47:39 PM »
Thanks man. At least someone thinks this is worthwhile. I haven't had a sportbike in years, so I'm learning as I go. I had alot of customs and enjoyed seeing them come to life. I usually have a camera nearby so it's a piece of cake. Hopefully my mistakes can help someone else.

On this tag mount... If I could do it again, I'd fabricate one single mount plate (instead of two) to bolt to the tail. Less parts is good...
« Last Edit: June 27, 2006, 09:09:38 PM by Jimzu »

Offline zig-zag

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2006, 10:08:51 PM »
very nice!!!!
No it's not a crotch rocket it's a fucking land missile!!!!!

Offline Jimzu

• Post Whore
Re: Jimzu's 2006 Busa LE - "Blanco Boosta"
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2006, 07:54:20 PM »
Boo.....   :lol:

Nem set me up with a Motorhead turbo. Thanks Nem and Yellow for your time and wisdom. This is a pic of where it's at so far. Hope to have it running by this weekend.

Now I have a D&D full Show 'n Go exhaust with polished cans, and a brand-new in-the-box BDE/Hindle system with carbon can FOR SALE...

I'm looking for a 4" or 6" black powdercoated swingarm. Anyone?

More to come...
« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 07:30:25 PM by Jimzu »

Offline TrickTom1

• HOT ROD
  • Site Donor
  • Post Apocalyptic Whore
  • In God We Trust
Re: Jimzu's 2006 Busa LE - Project "Blanco Boosta"
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2006, 09:14:55 PM »
 :wink: good choice

Offline 954bob

• Post Whore
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2006, 10:06:32 PM »
is that nem's old turbo kit

good paint jobs aren't cheap. and cheap paint jobs aren't good.

Offline Jimzu

• Post Whore
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2006, 07:28:17 PM »
is that nem's old turbo kit

Yes it is...