Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: 2006 Limited - "Blanco Boosta"  (Read 59143 times)

Offline RedBusa04

• Post Master
Re: 2006 Limited - "Blanco Boosta"
« Reply #75 on: August 14, 2006, 12:54:55 PM »
sweet jeezus man. you've done more to your bike in a few months than i and most have over the duration of ownership.  :D

keep up the good writeups and pics
04 LE GHETTOBUSA

Offline Jimzu

• Post Whore
    • Gearhead Clothing, Inc.
« Reply #77 on: August 14, 2006, 01:26:20 PM »
LOOKING GOOD JIM, HOW MUCH LIGHTER ARE THOSE NEW WHEELS?

Thanks. I know what the bare Piumas weigh. As soon as I get my stockers off, I will know the difference. I'm hoping for around 10 pounds total. We shall see...

Offline rustman

• Mad Post Whore
  • Garage Racer
« Reply #78 on: August 15, 2006, 10:50:19 AM »
LOOKING GOOD JIM, HOW MUCH LIGHTER ARE THOSE NEW WHEELS?

Thanks. I know what the bare Piumas weigh. As soon as I get my stockers off, I will know the difference. I'm hoping for around 10 pounds total. We shall see...

cool.  I'd like to know that answer also.
Yeah, it made 500 hp at 32 psi.
233 mph Texas Mile
  ----- Powered by Cheese -----

Offline Jimzu

• Post Whore
« Reply #79 on: August 15, 2006, 06:41:37 PM »
Today I replaced the Frankenstein bolts with the coated black allens. Clean is good...

Before...

After...

Also got a call from Myrtle West today. They say my swingarm and chain will ship out tomorrow.

More to come...

Offline Puzzled

• Rider
« Reply #80 on: August 15, 2006, 09:57:17 PM »
The bike is looking real good. :kickass:

Great job on the build thread. :thumb:
2003 Custom Rigid Springer Chopper 2032cc, 2000 Harley Davidson 1450 "Budget Build",
2001 HD Screamin' Eagle Road Glide 1550cc,
2000 Suzuki GSX 1300R Hayabusa SOLD

Offline Jimzu

• Post Whore
« Reply #81 on: August 18, 2006, 11:50:28 PM »
I'm still waiting on the swingarm and chain. Myrtle West PM'd and said the package is on the way...

In the meantime, I installed my fairing screens. Since I'm avoiding chrome on the bike, I got charcoal metallic screens to match. I hear alot of people ask questions about installing these. So for what it's worth, here's a step by step...

First, I removed the fairing and put it on my bench to have easy access...

Next, I placed the screens over the fairing holes to size and form them. A screen is supplied for each hole. They are supplied as so-called 'pre-formed'. Basically they are small patches of wire screen slightly bent to the shape of the fairing openings. Emphasize "slightly" bent. They need forming. Be sure to place the screen over the corresponding hole and press firmly, especially around the edges. Make a nice tight edge and press around the hole firmly with your thumb so it doesn't bounce back when you release, forming a tight fit. Once it fits, trim the edges. I left about an extra inch all the way around the hole...

Since some of the foam lining in the fairing gets in the way of the screen, I had to remove a small amount of foam. I used an exacto knife to cut it and pulled it off. This allows a better surface to epoxy the screen...

Once I had the screen cut to fit, I taped it to the fairing tightly. This keeps the screen tight to the fairing while it's epoxied...

After the first screen was set and the epoxy was applied, I moved on to the second screen and hole. Just repeat for the other fairing and the tail section...

I allowed the epoxy to dry for a few hours and installed the fairing. Pic added. The charcoal graphite doesn't show up much in pics. Stealthy...

That's it for tonight. I also got my carbon fiber frame sliders today from Toykraz. More to come...

« Last Edit: August 19, 2006, 04:45:44 PM by Jimzu »

Offline Brains

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #82 on: August 19, 2006, 01:09:24 AM »
I love seeing a project come together!!!  Your bike is looking good man......keep up the good work.  It's nice to see someone take their time and do quality work.  and Oh.......fuck chrome.   :beechug:

Offline Jimzu

• Post Whore
« Reply #83 on: August 19, 2006, 08:26:19 PM »
I love seeing a project come together!!! Your bike is looking good man......keep up the good work. It's nice to see someone take their time and do quality work. and Oh.......fuck chrome. :beechug:

Thanks man. Glad someone enjoys this. Coming down the home stretch soon for phase one. This winter I'll be doing alot of cosmetic stuff, like jet hot coating the exhaust, powdercoating the uptube, plenum, risers, etc. etc. And an intercooler. No chrome...

Offline Jimzu

• Post Whore
« Reply #84 on: August 21, 2006, 08:01:38 PM »
Okay, the arm arrived today from Myrtle West. I must admit, this arm looks kick ass... It's a 6 inch over extended with a lower brace and upper removed, powdercoated satin black. The welds look top notch, and it's smooth and clean, just like I asked for. Notice there are no signs of a squared block welded in. Instead, the added portion is beveled to match the original outside edge of the swingarm, and it's smoothed in. You can hardly tell there is an extension. It's a very clean look. Exactly what I was searching for... I hope it fits and functions as good as it looks.

Here are a couple pics...

I also received the chain. I still need the breaker / connector tool.

And I installed the hump mod tonight. It took about 5 minutes. Seems like a good idea, with the undertail leaving very little room for stuff.

More to come...
« Last Edit: August 22, 2006, 08:46:41 PM by Jimzu »

Offline osti33

• Post Master
« Reply #85 on: August 25, 2006, 08:41:44 PM »
Good looking bike. Love that color!!

Can't wait to see it with the new wheels and tires!
2 Club member x 5
Bonneville, Loring, ECTA, Texas, Mojave

Offline Jimzu

• Post Whore
« Reply #86 on: August 25, 2006, 11:55:03 PM »
Well, tonight Nem stopped by and worked his magic. Installed the 6 inch over Myrtle West swingarm, and the Marvic Piuma black magnesium wheels with Avon Viper Sport tires.

For those of you who asked what the weight difference is between the Piumas and the stockers, here's the answer... I weighed the stock front and rear wheel setups (wheel, tire, rotors, sprocket), then I weighed the Piuma setups (wheel tire, rotors sprocket) to compare the real world setups, and I noted the weight savings. Here it is... The stock front setup weighed 28 lbs. The Piuma front setup weighed 23 lbs. The stock rear setup weighed 40 lbs. The Piuma rear setup weighed 30 lbs. Give or take a few ounces. I saved 5 lbs on the front, and 10 lbs on the rear. 15 lbs total weight savings! Pretty good. And that's rolling mass which should translate nicely into seat of the pants and quarter mile times.

I must give some props to Myrtle West for providing a kickass swingarm. This thing is slick and clean. I had he top brace removed, and a bottom brace added. The extensions welded into the swingarm are actually beveled to match the outside surfaces of the stock swingarm, so it looks like an OEM peice. I highly recommend this arm...

I also cut a carbon fiber sheet to fit the contour under the undertail up inside the recessed area, to protect it from rocks and debris. Looks pretty trick...

Since we finished up at midnight, I set the right fairing on the bike and left off the belly pan just to get a glimpse of how it looks now, because I still have some other work to do. Here is a pic. I'll get some good ones in daylight. I'm happy with the look. It should help plant the horsies too...

Next, I'll install the HD clutch springs, the slave support bracket, the white fairing bolts and the black Arata rearsets. More to come...
« Last Edit: August 25, 2006, 11:58:57 PM by Jimzu »

Offline Jimzu

• Post Whore
« Reply #88 on: August 26, 2006, 11:36:50 AM »
Here are some pics I shot today. 500 miles on her now... Enjoy...

More to come...
« Last Edit: August 26, 2006, 11:40:02 AM by Jimzu »

Offline 954bob

• Post Whore
« Reply #89 on: August 26, 2006, 11:28:11 PM »
looks great Jim. but move that plate before it hits the tire. needs more of a lay down design.

good paint jobs aren't cheap. and cheap paint jobs aren't good.

Offline Jimzu

• Post Whore
« Reply #90 on: August 26, 2006, 11:29:14 PM »
looks great Jim. but move that plate before it hits the tire. needs more of a lay down design.

Thanks. And I already re-did the tag bracket. It's fine now... Good eye.

Offline 954bob

• Post Whore
« Reply #91 on: August 26, 2006, 11:33:34 PM »
detail. that's what i look for in alot of things. wish my busa was coming along as fast as your's. just waiting for winter so i can paint some bikes and order parts as paint jobs are finished.

good paint jobs aren't cheap. and cheap paint jobs aren't good.

Offline gat0r

• Rider
  • Where am I?
« Reply #92 on: August 27, 2006, 01:28:26 AM »
lookin good  :thumb:

Offline PhantomBusa

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #93 on: August 27, 2006, 03:38:42 PM »
This has to be the best documented moded bike I have ever seen.  Very good thread dude.  Love the transformation!!!

Offline phatspaz

• Rider
  • Salisbury, N.C.
« Reply #94 on: August 27, 2006, 06:56:36 PM »
That is one of the cleanest bikes I've seen. I really like the way you have that thing setup.

Very nice write up you have here Jim.  :thumb:  :thumb:

Offline Jimzu

• Post Whore
« Reply #96 on: August 27, 2006, 08:27:00 PM »
Thanks fellas. I appreciate the kind words. It's coming together...

Offline osti33

• Post Master
« Reply #97 on: August 29, 2006, 09:55:41 PM »
lookin good  :thumb:

+1

Bike looks great!!
2 Club member x 5
Bonneville, Loring, ECTA, Texas, Mojave

Offline Jimzu

• Post Whore
« Reply #98 on: August 29, 2006, 10:09:54 PM »
Jim
Do you plan on coming to the track day at osceloa sept. 9th?

Thanks. And where the heck is Osceloa? Somewhere I can use my new trailer to go?

Offline Jimzu

• Post Whore
« Reply #99 on: August 29, 2006, 10:19:13 PM »
I'll check into it. Sounds cool. I need to get this thing tuned in before then... I put money down on an Aluma trailer.