Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Velociraptor- Tell us more about 1.5" shorter arm...  (Read 18141 times)

Offline Kirk

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
Velociraptor- Tell us more about 1.5" shorter arm...
« on: November 14, 2002, 02:49:00 PM »
...Inquiring minds want to know.  
-Kirk

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2002, 03:05:00 PM »
HUH?!?!? Yes, do tell. Very interested.  

Offline Velociraptor

• Rider
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2002, 03:17:00 PM »
Jeff Lindemann made it for Rad Greaves to use on his FX Busa a couple or three of years ago. It highsided Rad so he ditched it and went for a full frame mod with probably a longer swingarm with still the shorter wheelbase. Jeff mentioned it was available so I swallowed hard and paid the $800 for it. I have been very happy with it for track days. I figured that the nasty side of the design would probably not bite me like it did with Rad since I'm not pushing the bike like he does in the FExtreme races. So far so good. Its much better than stock with the added plus that the stock wheelbase can still be run too if you want. The downside is that it is a one-off part although Jeff could probably build another one. People are also running some sort of GSXR750 arm but I don't know anything about that in detail.

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2002, 03:23:00 PM »
Would a 1000 arm work? Would it be able to handle the torque if it would fit?

Offline Unnar Mar

• Apprentice Post Whore
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2002, 03:31:00 PM »
Friend of mine borrowed the swingarm from my 99 Busa to use in his 96 GSXR750 in dragraces, so I asume I could fit his arm in mine for shorter wheelbase.

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2002, 03:53:00 PM »
Would you have to use the 96 rear wheel and axle too?

Offline Kirk

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2002, 04:17:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Velociraptor:
Jeff Lindemann made it for Rad Greaves to use on his FX Busa a couple or three of years ago. It highsided Rad so he ditched it and went for a full frame mod with probably a longer swingarm with still the shorter wheelbase. Jeff mentioned it was available so I swallowed hard and paid the $800 for it. I have been very happy with it for track days. I figured that the nasty side of the design would probably not bite me like it did with Rad since I'm not pushing the bike like he does in the FExtreme races. So far so good. Its much better than stock with the added plus that the stock wheelbase can still be run too if you want. The downside is that it is a one-off part although Jeff could probably build another one. People are also running some sort of GSXR750 arm but I don't know anything about that in detail.

Wow.

I suspect that some combination of OE Suzuki parts could be used to install the arm from a previous-generation (Bubble-butt) Gixxer.

I've got a stock arm, but my wheelbase is about 5/8" shorter. I took two links out of the chain to go from 112 links to 110. Works great. I went back to 112 for one day and the damned thing wouldn't turn.

I'll bet your bike works even better with another 7/8" missing.
-Kirk

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2002, 04:23:00 PM »
You can get half that by cutting two links out of your stock chain.

I've done this to my last two busas, makes a big big difference!

From the dealer the chain adjuster is almost centrally located in the adjuster. Then after a few adjustments it's now even more rearward.

Snip in, then clip it, and she's a totally different beast.

Offline Steve A

• Universal Post Whore
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2002, 04:27:00 PM »
Question in the same vein - if you raked the frame  - 5 degrees seems to be the hot ticket - and ran the axle all the way forward in the stock swing arm - would the handling be like "stock" or still somewhat degraded????????

Offline Kirk

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2002, 06:22:00 PM »
SuperK- Were you typing at the same time as me, or did you just not read my post first.  
-Kirk

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2002, 07:13:00 PM »
Heeeeeeee he, yeap, I took longer. I was cooking during the post  

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2002, 07:18:00 PM »
Ah....... Well how bout this? Then after that the chain still stretches right?

Well I refuse to tighten it by stretching the wheel base, I then put on a 41 in the rear  

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2002, 07:18:00 PM »
OK, so rather than going through the trouble of putting on a different arm, just cut out two links from the chain. Hmmm, I may be doing that this weekend.

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2002, 07:21:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by adrnlnjunky:
OK, so rather than going through the trouble of putting on a different arm, just cut out two links from the chain. Hmmm, I may be doing that this weekend.

Offline Kirk

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2002, 07:26:00 PM »
That, and a 180/55 rear tire next time will really help it to turn a lot quicker.

-Kirk

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2002, 07:34:00 PM »
I'm to affraid to try the 180, it's a weight issue?

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2002, 07:47:00 PM »
Well, I've already dropped the front end and rebuilt the forks with RaceTech valves and springs and raised the rear 1 1/4". Shortening the wheelbase should just about make it fall into the turns. I'm running Pilot Sports now w/190 rear. I like the way that they handle.

Offline Velociraptor

• Rider
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2002, 08:12:00 PM »
I also dropped the fork a little bit with the stock triple clamps and did the racetech gold valves with 1kg springs. I have an Ohlins shock in the back and some shorter dogbones to raise the back around 0.9 inches. I went two up on the back sprocket. I'm running a 190 Metzler M1 on the back and am really happy with it even though a 180 would be even better. The bike is sprung very stiff for my weight(180lbs max with all the gear on) but is great on the track.I had to trim 1.5-2 inches off of that little fairing piece in front of the back wheel to make space for the wheel. I feel like I've done about all I can do with the Busa as far as handling without spending a lot more bucks...as in Ohlins forks and lighter wheels. I always remind myself that on the streets I am not really using any of these mods since I am  very cautious and don't push my luck very often. But its all relative. The last track day I did I dusted an R1 as well as a GSXR750(I think the guy was just cruising or something) but I got left for dead in the tight stuff by an SV650. I forgot what a stock Busa feels like and I don't really want to know!

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2002, 08:27:00 PM »
quote:
I also dropped the fork a little bit with the stock triple clamps and did the racetech gold valves with 1kg springs. I have an Ohlins shock in the back and some shorter dogbones to raise the back around 0.9 inches. I went two up on the back sprocket. I'm running a 190 Metzler M1 on the back and am really happy with it even though a 180 would be even better. The bike is sprung very stiff for my weight(180lbs max with all the gear on) but is great on the track.I had to trim 1.5-2 inches off of that little fairing piece in front of the back wheel to make space for the wheel. I feel like I've done about all I can do with the Busa as far as handling without spending a lot more bucks...as in Ohlins forks and lighter wheels. I always remind myself that on the streets I am not really using any of these mods since I am  very cautious and don't push my luck very often. But its all relative. The last track day I did I dusted an R1 as well as a GSXR750(I think the guy was just cruising or something) but I got left for dead in the tight stuff by an SV650. I forgot what a stock Busa feels like and I don't really want to know!

Sounds great, it's nice to get a tank to handle like that huh? I bet they were in awe as the tank went by em  

Offline Kirk

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2002, 01:47:00 PM »
With two links removed from the chain, my 'Bus is about 57.9" long. The rear was raised when I had the shock re-valved and re-sprung. I had the fork re-valved and re-sprung with the 1.0 kilo fork springs. I lowered the front end 1/2" with a JCS handlebar mount. Street compound Rennsports with a 180/55 on the rear.

My bike is a lot lighter than stock. Marvic Penta II magnesium racing wheels, Sharkskinz bodywork, Muzzy full titanium exhaust, removed PAIR and counterbalancer, no rear pegs, all that stuff.

My biggest challenge (other than my lack of riding skill) is on the brakes. I turned my aftermarket sintered front brake pads to glass and turned my front rotors all blue and splotchy trying to haul it down from 190 indicated for turn 1 at Portland International Raceway. I learned trail-braking out of necessity. I also have the first set of -2 sized braided stainless front brake hoses that Goodridge ever made for a Hayabusa, and Motul 600F DOT 5.1 synthetic brake fluid. I now have a fresh set of EBC "kit" race HH pads, but I haven't had a chance to try it out on the track again.
-Kirk

Offline Velociraptor

• Rider
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2002, 02:31:00 PM »
Kirk,

Other than the swingarm, my bike sounds like a pig compared to yours! I run kevlar front brake lines and got some wave rotors last summer-mainly because they were in the display case at Aurora Suzuki and I couldn't resist the temptation. I also run Performance Friction carbon pads. I don't think Pacific Raceway fries brakes as bad as Portland because I was only getting up to 165 and then had to brake for a 70-80mph sweeper(turn 2) so I was not having to scrub off as much speed. I have stock bodywork and stock wheels too.

Offline Kirk

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2002, 03:53:00 PM »
Like I said, I'm still feeling the weight on the brakes. My bike is still heavier than a sport bike by about a 50lb bag of dog food.

My total experience on track so far has been one 20 minute session. It was called "A taste of racing". Had I been on track with racers, I'm sure that they would have been able to run it in deeper and pass me on the brakes. As it was, I did okay on the brakes as compared to the other street squids. But I did get passed twice. Once by a guy on a TL-R with a carbon fiber tail section that got me between turns 1 and 1a. He looked like he knew what he was doing. The other time was an OMRRA instructor on an R6 with race rubber that got me in 9. He passed me on the outside with sparks flying, but I got him again by my next upshift on the front straight. I started out 22nd and finished 10th.  
-Kirk

Offline busagringo

• Rider
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2002, 04:29:00 PM »
quote:
I also dropped the fork a little bit with the stock triple clamps and did the racetech gold valves with 1kg springs. ...

Velociraptor,

I thought the stock upper triple clamp does not allow the forks to slide up.  How is it possible that you were able to?

Offline Velociraptor

• Rider
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2002, 06:39:00 PM »
There is a little bit of space between the top of the fork tube and the top cover of the triple clamp. Maybe 1/8 inch or so. You just loosen the fork pinch bolts and the weight of the bike will pop the forks up against the cover and then retighten the pinch bolts. Someone on the board wrote about that maybe a year ago.

Offline busagringo

• Rider
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2002, 09:00:00 PM »
Ahh, now I get it.  Thanks, Velociraptor.