Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: bike overheating after changing coolant....bleeding?  (Read 4069 times)

Offline mesmeralda

• Rider
bike overheating after changing coolant....bleeding?
« on: August 31, 2006, 10:40:12 PM »
I changed the coolant a few weeks ago and after not riding it for awhile and riding it now it almost redlines in stop and go traffic.  I installed a Muzzy aluminum fan on it at the same time I changed the coolant.   The fan comes on...then turns off..then on so on and so on.  I took off the rad cap and tilted the bike from side to side to get the air out, put the cap back on and it doesn't get as hot as fast but it still eventually gets hot.  First question is in order to properly bleed the system do you leave the cap off and run the engine for a bit to bleed the air out.  Second, Is regular motorcycle coolant better than Engine Ice (which is what I've been running) and thirdly since the fan come on and off is there a switch to have it come on earlier and stay on until the temp reduce?

Offline mesmeralda

• Rider
Re: bike overheating after changing coolant....bleeding?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2006, 09:01:00 AM »
no i did not mix it....directions says straight out of the bottle......

Offline TrickTom1

• HOT ROD
  • Site Donor
  • Post Apocalyptic Whore
  • In God We Trust
Re: bike overheating after changing coolant....bleeding?
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2006, 10:50:04 AM »
you would have to tap into wires to add a switch, I use regular anti-freeze 1/3 to 2/3 water(Texas Heat). I drilled 2 1/4" hole in my thermostat, some remove all together. I'm leaving my stock fan wired as is, and adding a second fan on a switch. I just remove my cap and squeeze the lower rad. hose to get air out. You'll need to do this once your thermostat is open. So, crank it with the cap off and let it get hot enough for it to open.