Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: fuel mileage  (Read 19506 times)

Offline chrisarrington

• Rider
  • Where am I?
Re: fuel mileage
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2006, 10:45:34 PM »
Mine is also still bone stock.  If I ease off the line and cruise slow the computer says it gets 50.  Is the computer anywhere close to accurate?

Offline CultLdr

• Rider
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2006, 11:39:32 AM »
There are three things guys lie about, home cooking, home loving, and gas mileage.

I think I'm using my right hand too much (on the bike!)  :) , Always seem to be in the very low 30's.
'05 Blk/Slv

As long as there's, you know, sex and drugs, I can do without the rock and roll.

Offline Dolent

• Rider
  • Where am I?
    • Bike stuff
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2006, 06:38:56 AM »
~31-33mpg according to the probably unreliable guages... I fill up around 130 miles when the light has been on for a few miles
11 Suzuki Hayabusa Black/Red
        Cleaned up safety stickers and reflectors
        Akrapovic Racing Single Can
        BMC Street
06 Suzuki Hayabusa, Sonoma Red (wrecked)
        Akrapovic Evo TI, CF Can
        PCIII, BMC Street
01 Suzuki gixx

Offline Mr.King

• Rider
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2006, 08:23:09 PM »
Mine is all stock except a tre.......I only get about 31 to 36 miles per gallon........The best I ever got were about 200 miles out of a tank.......and that was pushing it and just cruising at 75. Never do that again......
06 Black&Grey 1397

Offline BusaBill01

• Rider
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2006, 06:25:28 AM »
I dont know about anyone else but even when me bike was new it only avg. around 38mpg. 150miles when the light ,that was with stock gearing and no speedo healer , now im avg. around 32mpg with 16/40 gearing with a speedo healer and which I still need to tweek it a little to get it right . Put a speed healer on and then tell us what your getting ...cause your bike is off, that is for sure, all of our bikes are off untill you adjust it with a healer .

Offline 05gsxr1

• Rider
  • Where am I?
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2006, 07:41:19 AM »
around 42 miles per gallon when i had my busa highway riding
Racing,riding,spending time with kids.

Offline Frank06

• Site Donor
  • Rider
  • Timer and EV Tech - LTA
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2006, 05:41:29 PM »
It all depends, doesn't it?  I don't smoke crack and I recently got 60 mpg on a 400 mile trip.  Of course I was traveling with a friend on an old CB360 with camping gear so we never went over 60 mph.  This is a stock '03 BTW with TRE.  Of course all you have to do is be off a few tenths of a gallon when refilling and your numbers change 10%...

Normal riding for me sees mid-high 40's.  If we lived near any highways it'd be much lower I'm sure.
206 mph on street legal electric ' Busa

Offline Jay Jacobs

• Apprentice Post Whore
  • Trinity, NC
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2006, 08:57:36 PM »
2003...yoshi rs3 bolt on's...k&n filter...pc3....   never been under 48 mpg.....stay mostly in the mid 50s

Offline Fast40th

• Post Whore
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2006, 06:27:20 PM »
23mpg at 70 -80
 28mpg at 100... With MC x kit :lol:

Offline coop

• Post Master
    • My Website
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2006, 07:19:59 PM »
2003...yoshi rs3 bolt on's...k&n filter...pc3....   never been under 48 mpg.....stay mostly in the mid 50s

You do realize that a Hayabusa revs past 4K rpm don't you :lol:

Offline Jay Jacobs

• Apprentice Post Whore
  • Trinity, NC
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2006, 08:17:15 PM »

You do realize that a Hayabusa revs past 4K rpm don't you :lol:

:lol: :lol:  I will admit that it has been over 100 mph twice.  But in all fairness, I am on the interstate 90% of the time...Very little town riding at all.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 02:22:38 AM by Jay Jacobs »

Offline FTPBusa

• Apprentice Post Whore
  • Where am I?
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2006, 10:53:20 PM »
I finally figured out how in the world these guys are getting 40-50 mpg or even 60(yeah right).
  Today I got 41 mpg on the highway, and for those of you that like myself only seem to get 30-31 at best this how I did it.
I filled up just before getting on interstate and rode like the biggest G.D. pansy I could possibly handle and voila 41 mpg.
Needless to say that will probally be the last time my bike sees that kind of mileage

Offline Frank06

• Site Donor
  • Rider
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2006, 05:59:06 AM »
If you stay out of the throttle you can get excellent mileage, unless your bike isn't tuned right.  These bikes have excellent aerodynamics and it doesn't take much force to roll down the road at steady speed.

Offline Quijinn

• Universal Post Whore
  • Kawasaki Hahahahahah
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2006, 09:03:39 PM »
I run about 15.1-15.5 at cruise, some day I am going to finish the testing I started awile back.
Hi my name is Mark and I am a Bikeaholic.     Be carefull how fast you race through life, the finish line is death, and the trophy is a headstone.  Our perspective is how we judge our lives, to judge others we need a little change in our perspective.

Offline coop

• Post Master
    • My Website
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2006, 10:18:00 PM »
I run about 15.1-15.5 at cruise, some day I am going to finish the testing I started awile back.

You better check for a fuel leak if your only getting 15.1 mpg while cruising. :shock:

Offline gat0r

• Rider
  • Where am I?
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2006, 01:01:40 AM »
Quijinn - u better have a wild setup for only getting 15.x    :shock:
 :wink:

Offline SPARKY1397R

• Universal Post Whore
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2006, 10:17:41 AM »
he's talking about a/f ratio.   :lol:

Offline gat0r

• Rider
  • Where am I?
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2006, 10:30:09 AM »
duh, ok that makes more sense.  :duh:
i havent had to mess with that in quite sometime.
is it still the same as cars, something like  ~14.x for best overall general use & 13.x for best HP ???

Offline coop

• Post Master
    • My Website
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2006, 11:03:50 AM »
he's talking about a/f ratio.   :lol:

That explains it. This topic is about MPG not A/F ratio. 15.XX is a little on the lean side anyway.

Offline Quijinn

• Universal Post Whore
  • Kawasaki Hahahahahah
« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2006, 06:10:39 PM »
Ohh bloody hell here we go again my god man.

Look I run my car in the 16.1 range and get almost 4 mpg more then stock with over 250 more hp at the wheels, bigger turbos,

14.67 is Stoich when is chemically balanced to burn the most fuel for emmissions. You can lean a water cooled motor out alot more then that at low load cruise range. There are tons of articals writen about this, I have tested it on the bike and 15 ish range seems to be well for mpg.

Anyway Coop someone in the above posts asked what af ppl where running so I figured I would let them know. One day in the future I am going to set up a Test box to adjust AF on the fly and find a nice straight road to do some more testing. I am betting 15.5-15.8 will be a great target range, but wont know for sure till then.
Hi my name is Mark and I am a Bikeaholic.     Be carefull how fast you race through life, the finish line is death, and the trophy is a headstone.  Our perspective is how we judge our lives, to judge others we need a little change in our perspective.

Offline Jimzu

• Post Whore
    • Gearhead Clothing, Inc.
« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2006, 06:55:44 PM »
11.4 mpg...  :bah:

Offline Frank06

• Site Donor
  • Rider
« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2006, 07:04:52 AM »
Although I've measured 60 mpg once on a low-speed trip and generally get high 40's, it's interesting how things change over the years.   I also ride a modified Kawasaki H2 (750 cc 3-cyl/2-stroke) that gets 20 mpg if I'm lucky and usually less than that (60 miles/tank is pushing it).  My old Suzuki T500 (mildly tuned 2-cyl/2-stroke) gets mid-40's and my GT550 (another mildly tuned 2-stroke triple) does 40.  The H2 is the "wildest" of the old bikes and while as much fun to ride as the 'Busa, it has half the power and only does half the mileage!  I've had lots of older-technology 4-strokes that never did close to what the 'Busa does.  It just shows me the impact of computer control, FI and Suzuki's fine engineering.

Offline PhantomBusa

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2006, 02:01:04 AM »
Ohh bloody hell here we go again my god man.

Look I run my car in the 16.1 range and get almost 4 mpg more then stock with over 250 more hp at the wheels, bigger turbos,

14.67 is Stoich when is chemically balanced to burn the most fuel for emmissions. You can lean a water cooled motor out alot more then that at low load cruise range. There are tons of articals writen about this, I have tested it on the bike and 15 ish range seems to be well for mpg.

Anyway Coop someone in the above posts asked what af ppl where running so I figured I would let them know. One day in the future I am going to set up a Test box to adjust AF on the fly and find a nice straight road to do some more testing. I am betting 15.5-15.8 will be a great target range, but wont know for sure till then.

Thanks Bro for the answer.  Im learning as im testing, but this is what I have been told.  You can run as high as 16.1 A/F at cruise and low load.  The only time you need the A/F to drop down in the low 12s to high 11s is when you have a heavy load, like when applying boost.   

Not wanting to sound like an idiot, but for those that are wondering or curious about A/F and how it affects your fuel millage.  The higher the A/F 14.1-----15.1 etc.. The better your fuel economy will be.  The lower it is, 12.1----11.5 the more fuel your burning, which translates to less MPG.

The problem Im having is the different types of fuels I find at different stations. SOme make my A/F run high, some make it run low.  I found one station that has 10% ethyanol in it, and it made my A/F drop WAY down.  I had it set close to 14.4- 15.1 at cruise.  WIth the 10% ethynol, it dropped into the low 11.3 range.  Im learning that the outside air temp affects the A/F also.  It seems the hotter it is, the more fuel I have to back out to keep my fuel economy favorable. 

I like looking at my data logger when I make a few testing runs.  I'll be cruising along somwhere in the range of 14.5- 15.1 A/F, nail the shit out of it, I can see on the data logger when the scondairies come on line, the A/F drops down in the 12s.  MAkes a warm fuzzy feeling to have a system that was mapped so well, that all I need to do so far is make Mix Trim adjustments across the hole fuel map to get the results I want.  Richard at RCC got me headed in the right direction, so Im just expanding on what I learned from him.

Offline Bowman

• Post Master
    • http://members.cardomain.com/95eclipsetuner
« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2006, 09:05:05 AM »
is 35 good? :D

Offline Quijinn

• Universal Post Whore
  • Kawasaki Hahahahahah
« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2006, 05:33:13 PM »
I useually follow certain rules. 12.5 just off idle to make stop and go eaiser, 12.8-13.1 for NA WOT, 12-12.5 WOT turbo, Low speed cruise, this is different for every vehical due to drag and aerodynamics, but I consider low speed cruise low load in the 50-70mph range, mid speed is in the 70-80 range and  90mph is high speed. 100 plus is high speed high load, so I add more fuel.

Low speed is 15.8-16.1 area, mid speed is in the 15.5-15.8 range, and high speed is 15.1-15.5 area over 100 like to keep the fuel in the 14.6-15 area 120 and higher just start bringing it to WOT target unless you live on the autobahn hehe.  Just remeber the more throttle it takes to maintain a speed the lower your AF needs to be.

I cant imagine different fuel makeing your AF change that much, something is up. I have noticed a few tenths at max for different fuels, course I have not checked between good gas and eth based.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 05:39:51 PM by Quijinn »