Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: '99 - miss at idle and low rpm/small throttle  (Read 3379 times)

Offline omgang

• Rider
'99 - miss at idle and low rpm/small throttle
« on: July 05, 2006, 08:27:45 PM »
'99 busa, Yosh cams, Yosh full Ti exh, small box mod, BMC filter, PCII, ATRE, 2000 fuel pump, re-located IAT sensor, ~37,000 miles.  I've kept a pretty rigorous maintenance schedule.  I cleaned the filter and checked valve lash this winter (within last 1500 miles).  I have a custom map in the PCII but it's one I built myself using a Halmeter and narrow-band O2 sensor.  I've had it on a dyno the last few times I messed with the map but I was primarily watching mixture and hp (I got it up to 167 before I quit adjusting but was making small gains every time) at full throttle and high rpm.  I've never been terribly satisfied with the low speed performance and been too cheap to have a map professonally made.

I just relocated from outside of Portland, OR to Helena, MT (went from 200 feet above sea level to 4000+ feet).  The bike was running fine prior to the move.  Since I've been here (4 weeks) it's been a little harder to start, misses at idle and low speed.  The engine miss is sporadic.  Unfortunately, most of my tools and shop manual are still in OR.  I took a trip a couple of weeks ago up to Glacier (~400 mile round trip).  The bike ran well at speed and fuel mileage was normal (same as always ~37 - 38 mpg).  I ran up to red line a few times checking to see if the engine would cut out (what it did when the '99 pump would get clogged) but it was fine.  It's around town and while commuting that it runs crappy.  Sometimes throttle response goes to shit - like it's rich.  I've tried disconnecting the ATRE but it actually runs worse.

So, maybe my ATRE is messing up - probably should have mapped with and without for just this situation.  Regardless, I've ridden the bike all over the western US and have been over 10,000 feet with it.  I recall feeling a drop in power at very high elevations but never an engine miss.  I commuted to work almost everyday before I moved and it was really running pretty well - no miss.

Anyone have any ideas?  I'm planning on checking/resetting the TPS this weekend (everything I have with me is in a storage unit across town) and maybe trying a fresh set of plugs.  Do the 2000 pumps get clogged up the same way the '99 pumps did?  The 2000 pump has been in for 20,000 miles and as I said I haven't experienced the engine cutting out at high rpm.

Also, can anyone comment on Arcane Worldwide Extreem Motorsports in Great Falls, MT?  I know they are a sponsor of Hank's record breaking 'busa and Dynojet's site lists them as a tuning center.  I just haven't seen any postings (here or elsewhere) of anyone having a map made.  Money is always a tough subject (I took a pay cut to move to Montana) but I'm thinking I need to bite the bullet.  I'd just like to get some positive feedback before I plop the cash down.  I PM'd Hank but haven't heard back (not complaining; just in case someone's going to suggest contacting him)

OM Gang

Offline Busa Quick

• Post Master
Re: '99 - miss at idle and low rpm/small throttle
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006, 09:21:23 AM »

If the bike had carbs I would be about positive that you would be too rich because of the move up in elevation. However, since the busa is injected and  has a vacuum sensor it should not be affected. It might not hurt to try to lean the mix just a little in the rpm/throttle areas that yoiu are having trouble in though and see if that helps.

Mark
Black and Purple 04, MY MODS: Turbo, .08 spacer, s2000 injectors, yosh cams 7.2 spring, heavy clutch springs, APE valve springs, raised rev limiter to 11,500 rpm with ignition cut only, using only stock ECM with Petrik reprogramming method,

Offline Revalot # 1

• Post Master
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2006, 08:37:45 PM »
Try a Wideband and set it up for 12.8 :1 Narow band is good for 14.7:1 to 15.7:1, Thats great for EPA Emissions, Not that great for the bike.
Member since Oct 29, 2002, Im in Texas
2002 Hayabusa S/G color,The Sledge Hammer,With Muzzys Digi-Kill air shifter, 1397cc 200 HP By JohnneyCheese
ZX14R
Im Following Jesus, wana come ?

Offline omgang

• Rider
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2006, 10:35:22 PM »
Busa Quick, I'll see if I can get ahold of a laptop this weekend and try adjusting low speed/small throttle mixtures.

Kid Quick, just so I understand you:  the narrow band O2 sensor I have in conjunction with my Halmeter only shows a range between 14.7 to 15.7?  I'm guessing I'll need more than just a wide band sensor then, something like a Wideband Commander?  I just checked out www.widebandcommader.com and their kits are ~$529.00.  How much should I expect to spend on having a map made?

Thanks for the replies,
OM Gang

Offline Revalot # 1

• Post Master
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2006, 04:46:35 PM »
PM( Dave O )on this web sight, You can get a basic wideband from him called (Innovate) for around 280-300 bucks, Check your TPS like you said. It,s has to be somthing simple, A better aif/fuel ratio will ge you more HP at all RPM. Maps can be anywhere from $200-300 maybe a little more, Custom mapping would save you time! Later
« Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 04:49:21 PM by Kid Quick »
Member since Oct 29, 2002, Im in Texas
2002 Hayabusa S/G color,The Sledge Hammer,With Muzzys Digi-Kill air shifter, 1397cc 200 HP By JohnneyCheese
ZX14R
Im Following Jesus, wana come ?