Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: They Want Me To Buy A Harley...........Again.....  (Read 5410 times)

Offline Jimzu

• Post Whore
    • Gearhead Clothing, Inc.
Re: They Want Me To Buy A Harley...........Again.....
« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2006, 05:10:56 PM »
Personally, I own all sorts of bikes, to suit my mood...

I don't see a point to hotrodding 4 banger cars either. But I wont condemn people who do... Try the decaf...

Golden rule about buying another bike:

" Never, ever ask your bike mates if the bike your looking at is the right thing to do"  :lol:

You get 300,000 different opinions about what your wanting to buy !!!

Get what YOU feel is right.  Dave your no spring chicken, sounds like you have some
freetime coming up, none of us are getting any younger or more agile  :wink: :lol:

Get yourself a coupla of bikes maybe? a nice Ducati or an MV Agusta in there as well?

Whatever.... enjoy it  8)

Exactly.

Dave, buy what you want to. You're the one that will be riding it.

You already have your 530 rwhp TurboBusa. Buy the Harley, and enjoy it.  8)
Come on, what the hell is the fascination with harley?? Would someone please explain it to me? Good God they sound like shit, (anti-performance) and all basically look the same, same shit different color. And there is nothing worthy of commenting either with performance, nor handling, yet the fascination?!

Are people as a whole, just that ignorant or what? When you can buy a metric cruiser for way less dough, and have a better bike, why then the harley?

And don't give me that crap about status, because that is pure bullshit. The only people that like them are motorcycle illiterate.

I know I get on the anti-harley rant alot, but holy shit it gets old that most people can't see thru the bullshit with them. If more would open their eyes, harley would be forced to make decent stuff.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 05:12:39 PM by Jimzu »

Offline Falcon-A

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Rowdy the Raccoon
« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2006, 09:37:27 AM »

" Never, ever ask your bike mates if the bike your looking at is the right thing to do"  :lol:

Get what YOU feel is right.  Dave your no spring chicken, sounds like you have some
freetime coming up, none of us are getting any younger or more agile  :wink: :lol:

Get yourself a coupla of bikes maybe? a nice Ducati or an MV Agusta in there as well?

Exactly.

Come on, what the hell is the fascination with harley?? Would someone please explain it to me? Good God they sound like shit, (anti-performance) and all basically look the same, same shit different color. And there is nothing worthy of commenting either with performance, nor handling, yet the fascination?!

Are people as a whole, just that ignorant or what? When you can buy a metric cruiser for way less dough, and have a better bike, why then the harley?

And don't give me that crap about status, because that is pure bullshit. The only people that like them are motorcycle illiterate.

I know I get on the anti-harley rant allot, but holy shit it gets old that most people can't see thru the bullshit with them. If more would open their eyes, harley would be forced to make decent stuff.

Give it a rest.

People are free to buy what they want. Why do you have this insane need to tell people what they should and shouldn't like?. Yes, it does get old.

I owned a '99 CBR1100XX, that was far less reliable, (Ie: a lot of problems) than a bunch of Harleys I can think of, (Ie: Zero problems) which are owned by people I know.

I just want to ask you if you have ever worked on them? I have. I see how they are built, and to have to snip off the pushrods with a bolt cutters to fix leaking pushrod tube o-rings is pretty funny! YES, you have to do that on non-adjustables, or take off the head covers and go thru more grief.

What I am trying to say is that it is the crudest of crude. The quality of product is so low, that it is embarrassing to call it "American Made".

All I try to do is open peoples eyes a little bit. I show people the differences in products, and why something is better. I guess I wouldn't be so critical if they were comparatively priced, but they are not. When I see what someone paid good money for, and what they could have bought, it is really sad. Then when it doesn't work, they cry to me about it. Can you fix my harley, it won't start, blah blah blah blah......

I work on bikes nights and weekends, and I am to the point of refusing to work on that crude shit, because I am tired of bustin my knuckles on them! You want me to say it, well here goes PURE F***KIN JUNK!! There now I feel better! They can stick their cheapass torx and soft steel corroded screws up their almighty hardly asses! Try working on them and tell me its not garbage! And the wiring OMG!!!!

You would think that they could use stainless fasteners on the cases at least???

Do you feel like a rebel or tougher because you ride one? I don't know about you, but when I test drive them I want to wear a tinted shield so no body recognizes me!  Total embarrassment for this great nation.

I know you have one 02SE, and I don't wish bad luck on you. I am way sick of the ignorance and aerogance that surrounds harley and its owners. I pulled into a party the other day, with my Busa, and there was a few hardlys sitting there, and you should have heard the crap I was given by these idiots. I have yet to make a comment to a hardly rider, when they pull up on that for shit runnin piece of crap. I wouldn't hate them near as much, if there wasn't so much disregard for our bikes from those fools.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2006, 09:49:47 AM by Falcon-A »
Follow the crowd and go no where.

Offline Falcon-A

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Rowdy the Raccoon
« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2006, 09:47:51 AM »

I don't see a point to hotrodding 4 banger cars either. But I wont condemn people who do... Try the decaf...]

Why wouldn't you hot-rod a 4 banger car? Dude I grew up with big-blocks, I bought a WRX STI, 300 horse 300lbs torque, add header, 3 inch exhaust, open element air filter and a program, you now have 375 horse!  Add bigger turbo, injectors, intercooler and fuel pump, 550 horse!
 All-wheel drive and great miliage too yet! 2.5 Liter 6 speed!

I love V-8's but the four cylinders are fun as hell! Try one sometime you will be enlightened as well.

Offline HOS

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Apocalyptic Whore
« Reply #53 on: July 06, 2006, 11:27:12 AM »

Exactly.

I know I get on the anti-harley rant alot, but holy shit it gets old that most people can't see thru the bullshit with them. If more would open their eyes, harley would be forced to make decent stuff.

Because it is made in the USA ?  Because its a national pride thing ?  Because of the Harleys heritage ?
Some of us older guys tend to look at the past and have memories of days gone bye when Harleys were
the place to be and the bike to own..... like the early 70s.

I would love an old 50s British bike in my garage...why?..... one word ... HERITAGE !  8)

Ride with Pride  :thumb:
I have no more sh*ts to give.

Offline Falcon-A

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Rowdy the Raccoon
« Reply #54 on: July 06, 2006, 11:42:20 AM »

Exactly.

Because it is made in the USA ?  Because its a national pride thing ?  Because of the Harleys heritage ?
Some of us older guys tend to look at the past and have memories of days gone bye when Harleys were
the place to be and the bike to own..... like the early 70s.

I would love an old 50s British bike in my garage...why?..... one word ... HERITAGE !  8)

Ride with Pride  :thumb:
I respect your reply, but I say its a lack of education. Buy what works! If it were 100% American, then it would be different, hell the Goldwing is more "American made" now!

Offline 02SE

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
« Reply #55 on: July 06, 2006, 01:29:18 PM »
Quote from: Falcon-A
I know you have one 02SE, and I don't wish bad luck on you. I am way sick of the ignorance and aerogance that surrounds harley and its owners.

Actually, I don't currently own one. But I do hope to own the bike I did own again someday. Because of the history of that particular machine.

I'm sick of ignorance, and arrogance myself. Like the ignorance and arrogance you're displaying here. Honestly, you sound just the same as the anti-japanese bike, Harley only goons.  

Hard to work on?, I guess that's relative. The oil changes I did weren't hard, checking the primary drive adjustment (it didn't need adjustment) wasn't hard. Those were the only things it required in the 14,000 odd miles it's covered. I know of several Harleys with lots more miles that only required regular oil changes too.

By comparison, my lemon '99 CBR-XX had problems, starting as soon as I got it home.

Any machine can have problems. So I don't label all Honda's junk, based on my experience with that one bike.

Why don't you try to let others live their lives how they see fit, without criticizing them?  :idea:

Offline Falcon-A

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Rowdy the Raccoon
« Reply #56 on: July 06, 2006, 02:13:50 PM »
Quote from: Falcon-A
I know you have one 02SE, and I don't wish bad luck on you. I am way sick of the ignorance and aerogance that surrounds harley and its owners.

Actually, I don't currently own one. But I do hope to own the bike I did own again someday. Because of the history of that particular machine.

I'm sick of ignorance, and arrogance myself. Like the ignorance and arrogance you're displaying here. Honestly, you sound just the same as the anti-japanese bike, Harley only goons.  

Hard to work on?, I guess that's relative. The oil changes I did weren't hard, checking the primary drive adjustment (it didn't need adjustment) wasn't hard. Those were the only things it required in the 14,000 odd miles it's covered. I know of several Harleys with lots more miles that only required regular oil changes too.

By comparison, my lemon '99 CBR-XX had problems, starting as soon as I got it home.

Any machine can have problems. So I don't label all Honda's junk, based on my experience with that one bike.

Why don't you try to let others live their lives how they see fit, without criticzing them?  :idea:
You were quite lucky if that is all you had to do for repair or maintenance. I don't mean what I say as to criticize the person, just the product. I have had quite a bit of experience in the last few years working on several of the species, and from what I have seen, It isn't good. NOT to have at least an oil cooler is just plain retarded. And I won't even start with the clutch and transmission.

What you don't seem to understand, is that now I knew a person to have directly died as a result of his harley breaking down! He was 44 years old and had two kids. The bike wasn't very old (couple years, low miles) and the charging system failed. 

My point is, YOU CAN GET A BETTER BIKE FOR LESS. Its that simple. Are you trying to tell me that they are actually worth even half of what is asked for them? Please explain. Also please explain to me what harley has up on a metric.

All I have ever seen so far that harley has is acceptance. Acceptance by other harley riders, for being a "real biker". I don't know about you, but I would much rather ride something that the rest of the group doesn't. Some guys have to buy a harley to ride with their harley buddies. This I don't understand. Your tellin me you can't ride a Busa or something else with a group of harleys? Why not? We had one harley in our group when we rode to Colorado last year, so what. He was a nice guy, and I was surprised I didn't have to work on it at all.

Two years ago, my friend brings his along to Florida, I ended up workin on it 4 days in a row! Every day it was something new! I told him if he ever brought it along again, I would start it on fire. He bought a white Busa, and now his harleys sit in the garage. They do look good as ornaments, thats about it.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2006, 02:25:39 PM by Falcon-A »

Offline 02SE

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
« Reply #57 on: July 06, 2006, 02:55:21 PM »
Whatever. 

When my '99 XX quit running, (fried ECU) leaving me stranded many, many, many miles from civilization, I guess I could've died too. Fortunately the temps were unseasonably cool, (instead of the normal 100° + F they usually were) and luckily a guy with a truck came by. Even luckier was the fact that he was a dirtbike rider, and happened to have his ramp and tie-downs with him. 

You're assuming far too much. I don't associate with ignorant, closed-minded morons. I don't ride with anyone, that hates a brand of bike, just because it's not what they ride. That goes for people on Harleys, sportbikes, and everything in between.

Because ultimately, I would get tired of their constant attempts to convince the world that only their opinion is right.  :roll: 

I'm done with this, good luck with your crusade to get everyone riding a bike you approve of.

Offline Falcon-A

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Rowdy the Raccoon
« Reply #58 on: July 06, 2006, 03:43:36 PM »
Whatever. 

You're assuming far too much. I don't associate with ignorant, closed-minded morons. I don't ride with anyone, that hates a brand of bike, just because it's not what they ride. That goes for people on Harleys, sportbikes, and everything in between.

Just for your info, I don't "hate a brand of bike just because I don't ride it" I hate harley for what it is, not what it stands for.
 It stands for tradition. But too many people bought them blindly not really knowing what they are. They want to be "harley" people, and feel important.

One thing that always comes to mind when I get on the harley subject, is what Suzuki's Senior tech advisor Brad once said to me. (his brother works for harley)  "If the Japanese ever built anything as bad as a harley, no body would buy one" This is so true.

You think I don't like a bike I don't ride. I have news for you, I ride them, I work on them. Each and every time I ride one, I think to myself, "what does this guy see in this rattling piece of shit??" I am open minded about things, but it doesn't seem this way to you.

I am sorry you don't know me better, I have helped many people.

I don't knock because I don't have it, if it was worth a shit I would have one. I only knock what I know enough about to knock.

p.s. It may be my opinion, but I only state the facts. If in any way my facts are incorrect, please let me know. I am sorry if the truth hurts.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2006, 04:19:04 PM by Falcon-A »

Offline gmjj13

• Rider
  • wir mussen leben bis vir sterben
« Reply #59 on: July 06, 2006, 04:33:47 PM »
i bought a 06 road king about 2 weeks before i bought my 06 busa, and it runs great, no problems. the busa on the other hand is currently in the shop. something about missing needle bearings in the clutch or something like that. i love both my bikes. and wouldn't trade either. who cares what anyone else thinks. do your own thing and enjoy the ride. 8)
06 busa maroon and black RS3 carbon cans, TRE, lowering links. more to follow!...Jeff

Offline Jimzu

• Post Whore
« Reply #60 on: July 06, 2006, 04:35:56 PM »

I don't see a point to hotrodding 4 banger cars either. But I wont condemn people who do... Try the decaf...]

Why wouldn't you hot-rod a 4 banger car? Dude I grew up with big-blocks, I bought a WRX STI, 300 horse 300lbs torque, add header, 3 inch exhaust, open element air filter and a program, you now have 375 horse!  Add bigger turbo, injectors, intercooler and fuel pump, 550 horse!

I love V-8's but the four cylinders are fun as hell! Try one sometime you will be enlightened as well.

550 horse... That's cute...

« Last Edit: July 06, 2006, 04:38:09 PM by Jimzu »

Offline Falcon-A

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Rowdy the Raccoon
« Reply #61 on: July 06, 2006, 04:37:11 PM »

550 horse... That's cute...
I hope your kidding me.

Offline Jimzu

• Post Whore
« Reply #62 on: July 06, 2006, 04:38:48 PM »
No, seriously...  But I'm a horsepower junkie.

Offline Falcon-A

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Rowdy the Raccoon
« Reply #63 on: July 06, 2006, 04:46:21 PM »
Check out this site, this will give you some idea the power cabability. Stock the STI tied the supercharged Cobra Mustang in the quarter. You can build the livin shit out of them. I can't believe what guys get out of them. We have  dyno shop about 45 miles from me, he has had some that were over 600 on the dyno, driven on the street.
 http://www.xcceleration.com/

Dude the record Busa I have heard to have 720. So why don't you believe 550 out of a 2.5 boxer?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2006, 04:49:20 PM by Falcon-A »

Offline Jimzu

• Post Whore
« Reply #64 on: July 06, 2006, 04:48:48 PM »
I'm totally aware of what they have the potential to do. I see them almost every weekend buzzing down the track like bees. Sometimes they even make full passes more than once... They're just not my bag. Kind of like Harley's aren't some people's bag... Get it?  :wink:

Offline Falcon-A

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Rowdy the Raccoon
« Reply #65 on: July 06, 2006, 04:50:47 PM »
I'm totally aware of what they have the potential to do. I see them almost every weekend buzzing down the track like bees. Sometimes they even make full passes more than once... They're just not my bag. Kind of like Harley's aren't some people's bag... Get it?  :wink:

I don't expect them to be "your bag", but harleys are more then "not my bag" if you can show me in any way that they are worth owning for any reason, I might not be so hard on them.

Offline 02SE

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
« Reply #66 on: July 06, 2006, 04:54:16 PM »
<Edited>

Nevermind. I wouldn't want to be accused of having the same closed-minded mentality.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 02:58:48 AM by 02SE »

Offline CaBuss

• Post Master
« Reply #67 on: July 06, 2006, 05:28:37 PM »
I have ridden since I was 12 or so, street bikes from 1985 untill now. I have owned all kinds, all brands but never a Harley. Always wanted one, but was turned off from all the breaking down and oil leak horror stories. But every bike I have ever ownes except the Busa has broken down or leaked something somewhere. And I just fixed it and kept riding. ! week ago I bought a used Road King, got a hell of a deal and figured if I dont like it, it is easier to get back out then a New one, but if I do like it I will buy a New one..
I have to tell you, it doesnt leak, it is loud it vibrates at idle shakes at idle but on the road, It is smooth. It is the most comfy bike to ride any distance I have ever owned. I rode a Goldwing once and it was a little better, but reminds me of old men and Depends..LOL
I put 400 miles on the Road King 4th of July with the wife, best ride I have had in years, averaged 40 miles to the gallon and never skipped a beat...
I cant say for everyone out there, but My Harley will be around for a long time....And yes it will break down, and I can afford to fix it, so there really is no problem.....

ERIC

SuperDave

« Reply #68 on: July 06, 2006, 06:09:55 PM »
They break down a lot less now than back in the Shovelhead days I rode in............. :)

Offline Jimzu

• Post Whore
« Reply #69 on: July 06, 2006, 09:36:34 PM »
I don't expect them to be "your bag", but harleys are more then "not my bag" if you can show me in any way that they are worth owning for any reason, I might not be so hard on them.

Got no reason to show anyone anything... In my opinion, bikes are an individual taste and they don't require showing others why...

But for your viewing enjoyment, here's another one of my bikes at the other end of the spectrum. It's been in storage for 5 years. Just brought it out and started doing some subtle mods. It cruises nice and true... No leaks... No problems... Classic lines... And the one person who rides it, likes it...

All done with the thread hijack. Resume.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2006, 09:38:29 PM by Jimzu »

Offline HOS

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Apocalyptic Whore
« Reply #70 on: July 07, 2006, 02:48:30 AM »
FalconA " My point is, YOU CAN GET A BETTER BIKE FOR LESS. Its that simple."

I guess you can say that about quite a few "products" out there. 
But it doesnt all boil down to cost..... I allways thought the choice of bike comes from the heart ?

Yeah, sure we can all go out and buy the latest Jap Harley clone.  but Harley`s have something
that no Jap copy could ever have:

Soul, spirit, dreams ?...... something they have that no other fake Harley ever could.

And thats talking as a British guy  :wink: :D
« Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 06:17:57 AM by HOS »
I have no more sh*ts to give.

Offline Falcon-A

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Rowdy the Raccoon
« Reply #71 on: July 07, 2006, 07:38:52 AM »
I just have to quit workin on them, I wouldn't hate them near as much!

And HOS, that stuff is all in your head, Your talking non-sense now.

The only dreams I have when I ride one, is a nightmare after usually! And as far as Soul, I think whoever put them together doesn't have a soul, has to be the most evil person alive!

There are many other bikes to choose from, there is no way I could change my mind after being around them as long as I have.

After making bikes for almost a hundred years, They should be ashamed of themselves making what they do. All in the name of fashion. But whatever I guess.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 07:46:11 AM by Falcon-A »

Offline Falcon-A

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Rowdy the Raccoon
« Reply #72 on: July 07, 2006, 08:11:46 AM »
<Edited>

Nevermind. I wouldn't want to be accused of having the same closed-minded mentality.

Ohh come on, don't get so ornery! You know I am not making shit up, it took me years and many factors to make me totally despise them.

You can ride what you want, I won't look down on you, its all good. Just know that the whole harley thing is a "grand illusion". (Styx song)