Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Wondering what suspention changes effect what aspect of handling.  (Read 9441 times)

Offline Quijinn

• Universal Post Whore
  • Kawasaki Hahahahahah
I am trying to figure out why the back of the bike feels as if it wants to come around faster then the front. The tire is not breaking lose, well sometimes but not often. I notice just around Apex as I start to roll on the throttle the rear of the bike feels lose, so of course it feels like its comeing around or pivoting on the front tire. It scared me a little the first few times but now I am starting to get used to it, but wondering if this might be a problem. Maybe I have to much compression or rebound in the rear.

Also I still have oem fork springs, I need to order my new ones one day soon  :yes:

Imput please :)
Hi my name is Mark and I am a Bikeaholic.     Be carefull how fast you race through life, the finish line is death, and the trophy is a headstone.  Our perspective is how we judge our lives, to judge others we need a little change in our perspective.

Offline 02SE

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
Re: Wondering what suspention changes effect what aspect of handling.
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2006, 03:20:39 PM »
First and foremost, it's suspension.  :wink:

Offline Quijinn

• Universal Post Whore
  • Kawasaki Hahahahahah
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2006, 03:35:48 PM »
a wiseguy pft  :D
Hi my name is Mark and I am a Bikeaholic.     Be carefull how fast you race through life, the finish line is death, and the trophy is a headstone.  Our perspective is how we judge our lives, to judge others we need a little change in our perspective.

Offline Quijinn

• Universal Post Whore
  • Kawasaki Hahahahahah
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2006, 10:06:57 PM »
Hmm good question front lowered a 1 inch and rear 1.5 inches. I have short legs what can I say  :(

Offline Quijinn

• Universal Post Whore
  • Kawasaki Hahahahahah
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2006, 11:00:37 PM »
no touchy the ground, plus you try moveing a 500 lb bike in gravel when you on the tip toes haha.

Offline Quijinn

• Universal Post Whore
  • Kawasaki Hahahahahah
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2006, 11:11:29 AM »
you would like that wouldnt you homo  :?  :lol:

Offline Kirk

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2006, 02:28:59 AM »
raise the front a 1/2 inch and raise the rear 1" over stock. you will love it

Werd.

If you're having trouble balancing the bike when it's stopped, pull the cover and the foam off of the white plascic seat pan and install one of those sticky-back Superbike seat pads and trim it to fit with an electric carving knife. If you race, it's not Supersport-legal, but if it's a street bike, track day bike, and/or a Superbike, it's a good mod. 
-Kirk

Offline Kirk

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2006, 05:36:37 AM »
...and work on your body position. I see a lot of guys that are dragging hard parts because they are so uncomfortable with what they are doing that they are literally climbing off of the high-side of the bike in corners. Look at some pics and you'll see what I mean.

-Kirk

Offline Quijinn

• Universal Post Whore
  • Kawasaki Hahahahahah
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2006, 08:52:00 PM »
I used to have np leaning off the bike, I was alot thinner and stronger back then. Now I keep my butt square and my shoulder out into the turn. Been working on slideing my hips over on the seat, can always tell when I get it right, something in the back of my mind sparks and everything feels right. I need to get some track days in, be alot eaiser to get back into the grove on a track vs the street, never know whats around the bend on the street.

Offline X E Ryder

• Post Whore
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2006, 08:53:27 AM »
When carving canyons I place my arse, body, shoulders and head in side the corner so only my thigh is on the seat. Keep your head square, or level so you retain the best balance, tilting your head is a no no for letting your ears do their balancing job. Putting just your shoulders or arse in really is not enough.

You are just using your body weight as a counterweight. For every bit of weight you can get inside the corner, you will need less degrees of lean, if that makes sense.

Since carving on the street can be sketchy, I would rather have too much body inside, and the ability to corner or brake hard, than not have enough, and something happen that left me shorthanded on Busa capability and no time to rearrange before sometime bad happened!

Maybe Kirk can go into this a bit better.

Offline Quijinn

• Universal Post Whore
  • Kawasaki Hahahahahah
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2006, 09:26:35 PM »
Thanks for the into bud, I understand all the physics behind it, and why leaning off is a good thing. I work construction and have walked 2x4 walls 35 feet in the air, balance is a learned art. I used to lean hard on my 750, I had no fear was like 23 and 220lbs and strong as a truck. Now I am older 32 as of 2 weeks ago about 235 lbs and not as lean or as strong. Going into a S turn requires you to move both ways on the bike, so I dont trust myself enough to get back over to the other side in time. Its easier to ride this way, I need to work on leg str and cut some weight. I do lean off on single turns, like ramps, and long fast turns I know.

I am still trying to figure out why the rear of the bike feels faster then the back, alot like oversteer in a car but more controled. I need to do some research and post up what I find hehe.

Offline Twisted

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Apocalyptic Whore
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2006, 07:24:37 AM »
you need to determine if its wheelspin or steering then go from there?

check sag, rake and trail, then move onto profiles and tire pressures till you reach desired setup...

the rear stepping out could be as simple as too much juice or a greasy tire....