Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Rod Stretching  (Read 6105 times)

Offline BADZXELEVEN

• Post Whore
Rod Stretching
« on: November 15, 2002, 11:30:00 PM »
In my background with cars, we learned that when you go thru the traps, you click the shifter into neutral as to not stretch the rods. This was with aluminum rods. You just let the motor come on down on it's on instead of letting the motor drag the car down to scrub off speed.
I was just wondering if anyone has ever had a problem with bikes. Mostly steel rodded motors.

I ALWAYS pull the clutch in on decellaration and let the motor drop.

What does everyone else do??

THEMOTORHEAD

Rod Stretching
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2002, 11:40:00 PM »
causes premature failure in the trans bushings
since the transes input is taveling at a high mph yet the oil pumps barely turning
seen a few transes lock up from this bad bad practice.
on a turbo you will waste shit fast!!!!!!!

Offline Maruchan

• Universal Post Whore
Rod Stretching
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2002, 12:13:00 AM »
hmm.  good point about the trans oiling.  eeks.  i never really thought much of that.           mainly i thought dropping the revs [to idle] too fast after a long hard run was bad for the [red hot] valve face & seating area.  i always leave it in gear & let the engine speed drop back down gradually under 'no load', in order to help cool things down some.  does this make any sense?  i just heard it somewhere.  i don't know whether any of it's true or not.          

kind of like leaving it idle on the sidestand causes less oil to reach that 'higher' part of the valve train causing premature wear on that side.  dunno if it's true at all.  but since i heard it i never let it idle for very long while sitting on its stand.  can you shed some light on this motorhead?      

Offline emarsh

• Post Master
    • http://homepage.mac.com/emarsh/
Rod Stretching
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2002, 12:18:00 AM »
Don't try it with a lock-up clutch. I did and it smoked it in short order.
Red/gray turbo 1397 Busa for the track.
Black stock ZX14 for the street

When people ask about the 14, I always enjoy telling them that it's my slow  bike.

Offline BADZXELEVEN

• Post Whore
Rod Stretching
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2002, 12:34:00 AM »
What I've always done is come thru, pull the clutch in  to take the load off of the motor, and keep the rpms just above idle, maybe 2000 rpms or so, to keep the oil pressure up some.
I'm just looking for a way to keep a negative load off the motor.
Does that make any sense???  

Eric, you mean the stock Busa lockup?

Offline ZXALAN

• Rider
Rod Stretching
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2002, 07:54:00 AM »
Shit Chris, if you are gonna ride twisties with us, you will constantly be decellerating, using the engine braking to establish your cornering speed. Small stroke motors with light pistons will not have that problem.  BUT in car engines, it IS very true, I was put a set of BME aluminum rods in a big pontiac and we had rod stretching problems with it.  Went back to a cast rod and never had a problem.  Anyone know if the stock busa rods are cast, PM or steel?

Dennis, good point about the oiling deal, never thought of that.  After I shut down on a pass, ,I usually upshift one more time to drop the rpms to say 5-6k and let it bring itself down that way then slowly drop through the gears.
9.35@151.70

Offline emarsh

• Post Master
    • http://homepage.mac.com/emarsh/
Rod Stretching
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2002, 06:06:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by BADZXELEVEN:

Eric, you mean the stock Busa lockup?

No, a real drag racing slipper/lockup with weights.

Eric
Red/gray turbo 1397 Busa for the track.
Black stock ZX14 for the street

When people ask about the 14, I always enjoy telling them that it's my slow  bike.