Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Reaper0995's home turbo busa project RUNS AGAIN!!  (Read 83940 times)

Offline reaper0995

• Post Master
    • my turbo project
Reaper0995's home turbo busa project RUNS AGAIN!!
« on: July 16, 2006, 06:28:25 PM »
so....finally i got some parts to start this project!  well, my list of parts isn't long, but enough for a few days....

« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 09:42:52 PM by reaper0995 »

Offline gsxturbo

• Post Whore
  • Where am I?wish i knew
Re: Reaper0995's home turbo busa project
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2006, 11:15:21 PM »
Give me a call i have my old header off my bike for the 16g if you want it its steel butt its in real good shape i also have the dump pipe for it if you need it might save you some time.
(812)267 9843.
Life is to short to worry about what everybody else thinks.

Offline reaper0995

• Post Master
    • my turbo project
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 07:27:37 PM »
the turbo before the grinder....

holy crap, talk about needing a wrench of sorts to remove TWO bolts.....one broke twice, the other just once....TWO BOLTS!!!

and after.....

the before on the gate hole

and the port after.  looks a little larger in real life, but may yet still decide to port more on this....

Offline reaper0995

• Post Master
    • my turbo project
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 07:37:05 PM »
also, upon porting of the gate area, i have found a few minor hairline cracks on the INSIDE of the housing.  the two or possibly three cracks are not visible from the outside of the turbo, thus i think that the turbo should be just fine.  any thoughts?  the cracks are right on the lip that the gate hole 'opens' from the normal path of the turbo, the "T" if you will in the housing. 

another thing, since i have removed my gate and flapper, there is still a hole in the flapper's place.  how should i go about pluging the hole?  its maybe 3/8 diameter.    i thought about welding it shut, but i dont think this would work because i'm pretty sure its cast IRON, not cast STEEL.  a guy at our work tried welding cast iron, and no matter how clean the weld, how deep, how this or that, it just couldn't really get it to work....afraid i may have the same problem, but his welds did hold, just not under a lot of stress.....and this makes me wonder if it could work because it isn't really getting torqued on.  yea, yea, it is getting stressed.  i mean after all, it would be on he hottest part of an engine setup, and exposed to a huge range of operating conditions, but not any real direct force will be applied on it.  or do you think that tapping it and plugging it would work best?  if so, what do i use to 'locktite; the bolt?  i mean, i think normal locktite lasts to like 400 degrees (???) or something, but turbos run over 1000+.....hmmm

Offline reaper0995

• Post Master
    • my turbo project
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2006, 01:41:09 PM »
took apart the FMU to check out the shim thing that seems to be a looming problem so some....not quite sure if this is ok or not, but it lloks good.  there is no real dimple ion the middle, none at all.  but there is a little crinkle on the edge that you can see in the picture.  looking at the way the unit works though, i'm guessing it wont really be a problem, but it might be worth replacing anyways....

Offline Jimzu

• Post Whore
    • Gearhead Clothing, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2006, 01:52:41 PM »
Good stuff.

Offline reaper0995

• Post Master
    • my turbo project
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2006, 11:48:08 PM »
trying right now to get a new shim.... but in the mean-time, some parts showed up!  got an external gate, 3 fuel rail inserts (i think i will only need 2, but why not just in case?), block off plates for oil cooler, and an oil drain return line. 

Offline Bonedust

• Mad Post Whore
  • boost or bust
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2006, 03:36:01 PM »
reap...dennis has an oil block off plate that is tapped for the oil supply for the turbo. it keeps you from having to mess with the oil pressure sensor. very cool, imo. i bet you could drill and tap that block off plate to do the same job.

get to work already!!!!;)

The Poison Idea- TMH T61 Ultra kit (500+ hp), 3-deg frame rake, BST wheels, Speigler 8-pot calipers and masters, Mac 0-6 arm, full CF body work.

Offline reaper0995

• Post Master
    • my turbo project
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2006, 06:17:02 PM »
get to work already!!!!;)

sorry  :wink:
been riding it too much to tear down....too many nice sunny days here to stop riding!  but i'll do some more work tonight though to help speed along the project...

Offline reaper0995

• Post Master
    • my turbo project
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2006, 11:44:11 PM »
ok, so i got most of the plenum mocked-up.  just need to finish off the last velocity stack and the weld the stacks onto the plenum.  got the bolt i will use for the MAP sensor and now i just need to cut some end caps and decide on how large of intake piping i will need....

Offline reaper0995

• Post Master
    • my turbo project
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2006, 11:45:00 PM »

Offline reaper0995

• Post Master
    • my turbo project
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2006, 11:46:46 PM »

looks like a good fit, nice and close for the best welds!!

Offline reaper0995

• Post Master
    • my turbo project
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2006, 11:48:39 PM »

looks about the same height as the stock plenum, but it is a little shorter actually.  will probably trim up a tad to make all the runners same length.  now they are like 1/16 or 1/8 at worst from one another.

Offline reaper0995

• Post Master
    • my turbo project
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2006, 11:51:04 PM »
hey, on that oil cooler block-off to be used as a feedline, i take it the restrictor still comes out, but which one is should i tap it from?  the one on the front of the bike, or the side nearest the oil-pressure sensor?  the one near the pressure sender is my guess...

Offline Bonedust

• Mad Post Whore
  • boost or bust
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2006, 12:15:03 AM »
yes, restrictor still comes out.

the oil feed is on the side of the bike by the oil sensor....like u thought. ;)

The Poison Idea- TMH T61 Ultra kit (500+ hp), 3-deg frame rake, BST wheels, Speigler 8-pot calipers and masters, Mac 0-6 arm, full CF body work.

Offline reaper0995

• Post Master
    • my turbo project
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2006, 10:41:47 PM »
so, got the plenum MOSTLY finished....would have been done, minus paint or coating....BUT, like an idiot, i welded the bung for the sensor right where the gas tank shuts....so, now i have to go back to the store and buy another bolt, grind off the coating, anf drill another hole and weld on the CORRECT side, so much for trying to clean up the front side......

Offline reaper0995

• Post Master
    • my turbo project
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2006, 10:42:57 PM »

and there is the lucky sensor..in the unlucky location.  stupid mistake is gonna cost me a good 45 min to go the store and drill and...etc.  :evil:

Offline reaper0995

• Post Master
    • my turbo project
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2006, 08:19:30 PM »
thanks once again to busamagic who sent the new shim and very proptmly i might ad.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 01:10:57 AM by reaper0995 »

Offline reaper0995

• Post Master
    • my turbo project
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2006, 08:25:18 PM »
and now i begin the oil feed and return lines.  the return line is gonna be a little tricky, as the place the i have found that sells the return fitting is out of stock ad has been out for severl weeks.  and given that the only thing that i can weld with my welder is steel, which will corrode, my only real choice besides finding another supplier is to make a 3/8 thick peice of aluminum plate that i will have to tap out for a large fitting to go into then slide the hose over that fitting.  not my first choice, as there shouldn't be any restrictions in the retun line, especially that close to the turbo.

the fittings on the hose are not situated permanently, but are just lightly screwed on.  i will adjust the length later as it is put into place.  will probably need to get some 90 deg. fittings to allow for a drastically shortened feedline.

Offline gazza414

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2006, 07:47:25 AM »
What made you decide on the plenum design?
1 Fast Hayabusa N/A 217.443mph so far

Offline reaper0995

• Post Master
    • my turbo project
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2006, 05:53:45 PM »
i thought that using a 3in tube would limit the amount of welding i would have to do.  but on the other hand, doing it this way proved to kinda suck....  making each one of the runners contour was kinda time consuming, enough so to say that an extra 15inches of welds would have been a much easier method.  the way the ghetto looks is really cool and i totally would want to do one like that, but i am trying to go for simplicity, and i am not going for more than like 250-275hp.  hahn and mr. turbo use log style manifolds, as does the MCxpress.  mine may not be as bling, but should do a descent job.  it not, i can always make a new one, as this one only took like 6hours (two evenings).

just out of curiousity, is there something that you notice that wont work with the way i have it setup?

Offline reaper0995

• Post Master
    • my turbo project
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2006, 07:28:14 PM »
so, did a plenum pressure test today....can you guess which one blew out first?  place your vote here:

http://www.suzukihayabusa.org/forum/index.php?topic=79812.0

Offline reaper0995

• Post Master
    • my turbo project
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2006, 11:43:13 PM »
and it blew out the sprite can!!  aw, the sweat taste of victory (no leaks)

Offline reaper0995

• Post Master
    • my turbo project
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2006, 11:00:16 PM »
ok, so these sleeves were REALLY hard to find....went to every place i couls possilbly think of.  couldn't find it.  THEN, when all looked hopeless, i saw a performance shop open by chance...went over to see if they had anything that was 1.5 inch ID and about 1/8 inch thick.  i only needed 4 or so inches, since each sleeve will only be 3/4 to 1 inch long.  he had a peice laying around that was 7 inches long, 1.5 inch ID, and 1/8 thick walls!!!  gave it to me free of charge too!!  well, this is how the sleeves looked after cutting and grinding them, notice how nicely they fit!!

Offline reaper0995

• Post Master
    • my turbo project
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2006, 11:02:52 PM »
the got onto some flange work..  had to grind out a little of imperfections (didn't drill as closely as i ould have liked).  took a little while.  then i also had to cut them out of the large peice of steel.  i pretty much finished one, the other i will do tomorrow or the next day.