Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Reaper0995's home turbo busa project RUNS AGAIN!!  (Read 83950 times)

Offline reaper0995

• Post Master
    • my turbo project
Re: Reaper0995's home turbo busa project
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2006, 11:04:31 PM »
then decided to port a little more on the gate opening....looked a little small in lou of the size of the external gate i have, so why not?

Offline reaper0995

• Post Master
    • my turbo project
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2006, 11:05:12 PM »
and then this is just a 'here is the kit thus far' pic.

Offline Busa Quick

• Post Master
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2006, 09:02:17 AM »

Looks like it is just a matter of time and you will have success. You look like you are doing some nice work overall.

Mark
Black and Purple 04, MY MODS: Turbo, .08 spacer, s2000 injectors, yosh cams 7.2 spring, heavy clutch springs, APE valve springs, raised rev limiter to 11,500 rpm with ignition cut only, using only stock ECM with Petrik reprogramming method,

Offline reaper0995

• Post Master
    • my turbo project
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2006, 10:12:05 PM »
yeah, so i had a few extra minutes today, and all the stuff, so i made (or started..) some exhaust flanges today....BUT, i burned my hand by grabbing the metal after cutting it part way, and so i have to stop for tonight  :evil:

but, here are the flanges thus far:

Offline reaper0995

• Post Master
    • my turbo project
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2006, 10:14:09 PM »
edges ended up a little thinner than i would have liked, but it isn't going to be that big of a deal i dont think.  still plenty of metal to hold on the exhaust IMHO.  if not, then i can always weld on more or make new flanges later....

Offline reaper0995

• Post Master
    • my turbo project
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2006, 10:38:48 PM »
yep, and here is my gate apart so i can check out my spring.....but i am not sure on which it is or isn't....anyone know for sure?  i WANT a 6psi, or 4 to 8 would also work....

Offline reaper0995

• Post Master
    • my turbo project
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2006, 11:08:48 PM »
ok, so i got over my hand burn  :wink: , and got my flanges mostly done.  need to drill holes for header bolts out from 1/4 to 5/16 or so.  too small....  any-how,  they need some grinding to smooth them out, but here is a rough mock-up of what i am kinda making thus far...

Offline reaper0995

• Post Master
    • my turbo project
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2006, 11:10:38 PM »
funny how i am gonna have to make 4 pipes that are 1.5 inches diameter EACH adapt to ONE hole on the turbo that is 2.125 inch diam.  well, happy welding and grinding is in my future  :lol:

Offline unit176

• Post Whore
  • Bigger is better!
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2006, 11:39:48 PM »
It looks like you are going old school on the header system, you gonna run a straight pipe connecting all the exhaust tubes to the turbo??? I got a series of magazines and books that were published on how to turbo motorcycles, with graphs and stats if you need any info let me know.  I would never have the guts to at it myself.  There is an article on a do it yourself set up done on a katana with blow-through carbs, the guy who wrote the books realy knows his stuff.  They have a pic of how its done, you run the tubes straight down the front of the motor pointing at the ground, take one tube lay it horizontaly and cut four holes the diameter of exhaust tubes and weld the to the horizontal tube.  Then you cap off each end of the horizontal tube, and run one pipe out of the middle to the turbo.  The old indy cars used to run this type header and it was called a log style system. 

If you are interested I'll see if I can have all the do it yourself articles scanned and email them to you. 
« Last Edit: August 26, 2006, 12:02:17 AM by unit176 »

Offline reaper0995

• Post Master
    • my turbo project
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2006, 08:54:29 AM »
thanks man, but i am any doing a log style INTAKE man.  my exhaust will look kind like the normal systems.....hahn, ghetto, etc.  i was just saying it is gonna ba a little time consuming to Y all those pipes to such a small hole when each pipe is almost the size on the hole itself.  what is the name of te book though?  i have a few old turbo books but havent really read all of them yet.  that TURBOCHARGERS by hugh McInnese or something is a person fav of mine, it tought me how to do all the turbo calc's and stuff.

thanks again, but i dont think i will need them at this time.

Offline reaper0995

• Post Master
    • my turbo project
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2006, 11:38:24 PM »
and just a minor update.  got a second busa fan in so i can mount that up and wire a switch or a constant run when on....can't decide yet.  but also got my hks style BOV.  yea, its not the real one, but i have heard a few people say that the chinese stuff aint that bad after all....at least the non-turbo itself stuff.  if it is no good, it was only like $50 shipped!!!  wow!  and it wont cause my motor to blow either if it fails....i dont know how it could fail though..  but it lookds BLING!

Offline reaper0995

• Post Master
    • my turbo project
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2006, 11:39:54 PM »
only one problem with the BOV....i have a mild plenum, and the flange they sent was aluminum    :(

guess i will have to order another....gonna cost a whole lot of like $5 or something  :lol:

Offline reaper0995

• Post Master
    • my turbo project
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2006, 08:44:24 PM »
so i got my clutch slave support as well as some other trivial items in the mail the other day....lowering clamp, dogbones (3 hole), extra rad. fan....etc.  installed the slave support because i have been sporting the heavy duty springs for some time now, like 2 months of daily driving and track days  :D  no problems or even cracking, but it is definately not gonna give me any troubles from hear on out.

Offline Busacraver

• Post Master
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2006, 07:46:05 AM »
Dude your a beast!   :twisted:  Nice work!

Offline smithabusa

• Boost By Smith
  • Site Supporter
  • Post Apocalyptic Whore
    • Boost By Smith
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2006, 03:50:06 PM »
Cool man, god job.  You know they sell this fancy product at the parts stores called degreaser, does wonders on that there engine. :D
Official Site Supporter

www.boostbysmith.com

Offline reaper0995

• Post Master
    • my turbo project
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2006, 09:47:44 PM »
Cool man, god job. You know they sell this fancy product at the parts stores called degreaser, does wonders on that there engine. :D

:D  i know, but i did one better...got a new gasket....only problem is, i put the old one back in because i thought i was gonna have it dynoed BEFORE the gasket came in.  so now i have a new gasket OUT of the bike and new oil and filter with like 2 miles...

Offline reaper0995

• Post Master
    • my turbo project
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2006, 10:00:41 PM »
ITS ALIVE!!!!

well, kinda.  i started it up a few times and it will idle, sorta.  runs kinda crappy, but has no adjustments and zero tuning.  new pump and fmu, so i didnt think it would run good anyways.  but it ran enought o run up the block and back and check for loose fitings and leaks and the sort.  all looks good  :twisted:

going to drop off at dyno shop tomorrow, but they cant dyno it and tune it until next week when tey put in the PC3, so i will have to wait a few more days, but all in the sake of thy turbo.  WORTH IT! 

so yeah, if ya haven't figured it out yet, i have completed the buildup and am now waiting for the final step: tuning.  i will have to go back ad adjust the intake track, since it will stick out beyond the body work, but i really want to get to the track before it closes....on the 11th of Oct.  so my plan is to have it dynoe by mid/late next week, ride it a little, then drive it up to see some friends about 70 miles away and back, then go to the test and tune a few days later.  see, i am a little afriad that my buds will drive down to see me at the track, and some stupid piddly thing will keep me from running, and they will have driven over an hour for nothing.  so i want to be sure that it will be ready to go when the i am at the track.

enough talk already.here are the pics   8)

Offline reaper0995

• Post Master
    • my turbo project
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2006, 10:00:54 PM »

Offline reaper0995

• Post Master
    • my turbo project
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2006, 10:01:55 PM »
you can see the heat on the mild steel here from the heat cycle i put it trought the other day (to check for leaks and crap..)

Offline reaper0995

• Post Master
    • my turbo project
« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2006, 10:02:15 PM »

Offline reaper0995

• Post Master
    • my turbo project
« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2006, 10:02:45 PM »
and the builder and the beast.... :twisted:

Offline reaper0995

• Post Master
    • my turbo project
« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2006, 10:05:07 PM »
and i did drop it like 2 inches or so.  need to lift it back up in the  rear so it wont tip when kickstand is down....sits just past level as is right now...me no likey.  on the plus side though, it looks WAY cool low like that.  my mom came and checked it out and she could put her feet flat on the floor and a little bend in the legs! 

Offline reaper0995

• Post Master
    • my turbo project
« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2006, 10:29:01 PM »
and taking a step back...here is the buildup ya missed  :wink:

Offline reaper0995

• Post Master
    • my turbo project
« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2006, 10:29:26 PM »

Offline reaper0995

• Post Master
    • my turbo project
« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2006, 10:30:46 PM »
and here i got the wastegate to dump out the opening of the fairing....then i had to shorten my header like 3/4inch....SO, hope it will still look good when farings go back on...