Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Reaper0995's home turbo busa project RUNS AGAIN!!  (Read 84364 times)

Offline Busafied™

• Mad Post Whore
    • My Homepage and BS..
Re: Reaper0995's home turbo busa project
« Reply #75 on: November 23, 2006, 09:31:27 AM »
Lookin good Reap- Keep it up  8)

Only thing I tried to avoid with my 3" exhaust was hackin too much from the body vent-
So I had some aluminized Exhaust kicked at a muffler shop, to line it up a bit more.

"You're Only Limited, By Your Own Mind..." My Home Page 
I built the Motor and the Turbo System. RIP {CDK} 11-11-08 I miss you...

Offline reaper0995

• Post Master
    • my turbo project
« Reply #76 on: November 24, 2006, 12:46:08 AM »
i actually didnt HAVE to cut out too much fairings for my dump pipe and wastegate, but i DID anyways  :lol: :lol:  turns out its a lot easier said than done.....but i had a good sized peice of fairing left over from the airfilter so i trimed it up and epoxied it back into the large gapping hole.  oops. 

i actually tred to line mine up so i wouldnt have to cut out my w/gate hole, but then i had to shorten my header like an inch so my oil would drain correctly.  still sits a little lower than i would like, but hasnt given me troubles yet.  next one i make i am going to really take my time on turbo placement and really get a good place for the filter and dump pipes and the sort.

Offline Busacraver

• Post Master
« Reply #77 on: November 24, 2006, 09:31:35 AM »
I got lost with all the post, did you dyno it yet?  Good job!

Offline reaper0995

• Post Master
    • my turbo project
« Reply #78 on: December 12, 2006, 06:57:22 PM »
minor update....got some o2 bungs...then lost them of all things  :lol:  oh well, got some new ones and just looking for some time to get over to my work to weld them on the dump.  i was looking around at where to put the bung and all, trying to make the sensor as far away from the turbo as possible in my like 12 in long dump pipe.  and trying to get it to clear the w/gate pipe and the engine itself.  turns out there was a nice and tidy location between all of it after all. 

oh yeah, and i still have to put on my new radiator hose.  turns out my old full HMF system barely touched it for who knows how long and dried the tube up.  well, one day i was cruisin around and stopped for a second only to see LOTS of steam coming from MY bike  :cry:  so i turned it off immediately....and looked around and saw the busted tube spraying antifreeze all DIRECTLY onto the turbo!!  so it was steaming a TON!!  had to get AAA, and, of course, i dont have the "special" coverage that covers motorcycles, only cars  :evil: so i had to pay like $90 to get it home that day.  sucked.  then i tore it down and order the new part.  it was gonna take a while since the dealer had to special order the thing.  but thats when i looked at the pipe and saw that it was good, just had been heated on the one part.  so i cut out the cracking part and put in a piece of aluminum for the time being.  works good but now i need to drain it again and put in the good stuff  :thumb: 

amazing how many problems can be solved by turboing, eh??

Offline Busafied™

• Mad Post Whore
    • My Homepage and BS..
« Reply #79 on: December 13, 2006, 10:57:45 AM »
amazing how many problems can be solved by turboing, eh??

Ya like those pesky Rod bearings/  :P

http://www.suzukihayabusa.org/forum/index.php?topic=59674.0
"You're Only Limited, By Your Own Mind..." My Home Page 
I built the Motor and the Turbo System. RIP {CDK} 11-11-08 I miss you...

Offline reaper0995

• Post Master
    • my turbo project
« Reply #80 on: February 05, 2007, 10:30:06 PM »
well, time for a minor update.  snow has lengthed anything being done for some time as well as mileage.  i had welded the o2 bung on some time ago, but no time to put the bloody thing back on.  just got it on and now looking for place to mount the o2 gauge/box thingy.  its about 5/8 inch tall, 3 inch wide, and like 5 inches deep.  i think i may be able to rig it up for now on the tree next to the boost gauge.  this will be my insurance until i can get it fully tuned.

Offline reaper0995

• Post Master
    • my turbo project
« Reply #81 on: February 05, 2007, 10:31:56 PM »
and another thing too while i'm at it.  nothing new, this part has been done and not touched in months, but i realized i had no photos of it finished under the tank.  well, here ya go 8)

adn the fuel system if you can see it well enough...

Offline Busa Quick

• Post Master
« Reply #82 on: February 06, 2007, 10:01:54 AM »

Looks pretty good for a home built! What A/F meter are you using? If you get around to how about a picture of the that.

Can't wait for the dyno results.

Mark
Black and Purple 04, MY MODS: Turbo, .08 spacer, s2000 injectors, yosh cams 7.2 spring, heavy clutch springs, APE valve springs, raised rev limiter to 11,500 rpm with ignition cut only, using only stock ECM with Petrik reprogramming method,

Offline reaper0995

• Post Master
    • my turbo project
« Reply #83 on: February 07, 2007, 12:42:32 AM »
and the wideband is installed....  ghetto/temporary style too  :lol:  just wanted to make sure i wasnt gonna run lean or nothing tomorrow when i ride it for the first time since thanksgiving (snow storms like crazy, still have 10+ inches of snow, and been there for like 50 days...)

and yep, you guess it!!  it is duct tape and STRING holding it on!! :D  hey, better to be ghetto here and be safe on the rest of it, right?  i half wanted to be ghetto because i want to do a logger and until then, i dont want to do anything permanent that i wont be able to undo once that goes in, like drilling holes and mounting tabs, etc.

Offline reaper0995

• Post Master
    • my turbo project
« Reply #84 on: March 16, 2007, 04:14:10 PM »
AHHHH!!!  so, my turbo starts to smoke from time to time now..  rode it just fine about 80 miles to visit some friends, no problems.  rode it home, nothing until i hit traffic about 10miles from my house.  it smoking blue and a LOT!!  thought maybe i had stopped to hard and the oil backfilled the turbo because it does sit a tad low in the bike (but still above oil level).  so, i let it sit for a few days on a slight uphill slope and took it for a spin.....  rode fine!  then continued to drive it around and then it smoked again :evil:  not at every light though would it smoke, and for no set length of time would it smoke. sometimes none, sometimes a lot, sometimes for a long time and others just a second.  ???  looked around and seems like i need to do the following:

1 raise front more when parked.
2 put restrictor in feedline
3 if this fails, make a new header to lift the turbo up some more
4 scavenge pump

and, OF COURSE, pics:

Offline reaper0995

• Post Master
    • my turbo project
« Reply #85 on: March 16, 2007, 07:19:00 PM »
and the solution:  well, i hope :lol:  this is my oil restrictor i made.  the local performance shop didnt have a specific oil restrictor part, so i had to take a NOS line item that was used to put on a guage for and put a bolt in it to tapper the oil flow.  testing to follow.....

Offline SPARKY1397R

• Universal Post Whore
« Reply #86 on: April 04, 2007, 03:59:03 AM »
did it work?

Offline TYSON

• Rider
« Reply #87 on: April 07, 2007, 09:07:50 PM »
Had it on the dyno yet?

Offline reaper0995

• Post Master
    • my turbo project
« Reply #88 on: May 01, 2007, 12:32:29 AM »
yeah, more pics!!

ok, so i FINALLY made a gauge bezel and switch bezel.  there are two switches, one is for the second fan, the other is for the lanyard item.  the lanyard thing is the item you have to have when racing where you pull the lanyard out and the bike dies, but when i drive on the street, i dont want to have to carry around a stupid lanyard and worry about someone jacking it if i forget to take it out or something.  the gauges are obviously the boost and the fuel pressure.  the tach is completely visible and the mph is a little near like 10mph and 200-220mph, but whos gonna look at the mph when going that fast anyways :lol:

carboard template, then aluminum sheet to bent gauge bezel.  switch plate was made from angle iron.

Offline reaper0995

• Post Master
    • my turbo project
« Reply #89 on: May 03, 2007, 11:06:38 AM »
and this is how it looks so far...  still need to finish the bolts on the bracket (lost mine, need to buy more, haha), switch boost gauges, plumb lines to fuel gauge, and wire the switches...  nothing too hard, just need the time.  oh yeah, and the lanyard thing with the switches (took of the kickstand switch cause IT was pushing the kiskstand down and killing my bike on te road, no dice there!) but the kiskstand kill switch will become my lanyard pull switch.

Offline reaper0995

• Post Master
    • my turbo project
« Reply #90 on: May 04, 2007, 01:28:13 AM »
the seat has actually been done for a few months now, just didnt really like the way it looked when it was done.. though it may look a little less intense when the bike is yellow or..??  still not totally sure on colors...  either stock, blue yellow as before photo shows, or pumpkin orange...  still need to decide.  most likely yellow because the paint is here and waiting (ie free!).  so...  nuf chit chat!

Offline reaper0995

• Post Master
    • my turbo project
« Reply #91 on: May 04, 2007, 01:28:33 AM »

Offline reaper0995

• Post Master
    • my turbo project
« Reply #92 on: May 04, 2007, 01:28:50 AM »

Offline reaper0995

• Post Master
    • my turbo project
« Reply #93 on: May 04, 2007, 01:29:04 AM »

Offline reaper0995

• Post Master
    • my turbo project
« Reply #94 on: May 04, 2007, 01:29:20 AM »

Offline reaper0995

• Post Master
    • my turbo project
« Reply #95 on: May 04, 2007, 01:34:15 AM »
keep in mind that i am not by any means a PRO at sewing :lol:  i am what i would consider a "high end" upholsterer, but not good at sewing...lol, i know. how can that be??  i worked with a really AWESOME upholsterer that had taught me how to do upholstery, so the panels i set up would be sewn by him, and back to me again.  learned a LOT doing that (4 years+), but the business has since moved.  :cry:  but times change.

anyways, this was my first motorcycle seat that i had sewn myself (and still the only one i have done.  i have flat wrapped several including my friends, but in solids).
« Last Edit: May 04, 2007, 01:47:13 AM by reaper0995 »

Offline reaper0995

• Post Master
    • my turbo project
« Reply #96 on: May 04, 2007, 01:02:32 PM »
and thank you to Scarry Jerry!!!  just got in the dash panels, and now i can start on making some carbon fiber inners!!  i will either make a mold out of these and then make the inners COMPLETELY out of CF, or i will use them as a base and just lay the CF and COVER them with it.  either way, shouldnt cost too much and even if they are just covering the old plastic, will still look bomb 8)  but before that i have to patch the holes from scary's bike :lol:

Offline Shamrock

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
    • Shamrock Racing
« Reply #97 on: May 05, 2007, 02:56:54 PM »
where  did you get the flat blue shimmer seat fabric?

Offline reaper0995

• Post Master
    • my turbo project
« Reply #98 on: May 05, 2007, 03:28:52 PM »
where  did you get the flat blue shimmer seat fabric?

we had some from another install that we did on a car.  i will try and find out where it came from (which supplier) and get back to you.  i may be able to get it for you because most places dont really sell to the general public (wholesalers).  i really like that shimmer blue though myself :thumb:
« Last Edit: May 21, 2007, 12:47:41 PM by reaper0995 »

Offline reaper0995

• Post Master
    • my turbo project
« Reply #99 on: May 07, 2007, 10:59:27 PM »
just got in my carbon fiber!!  looks cool too.  it is pretty soft and yeah, is just like cloth.  i mean, besides the duh reastion to carbon fiber CLOTH being like cloth, i was expecting it to be more stiff, or more this or that, but nope, just normal.  well, it does fray EASILY at the edges...

enough witht he chit chat, here da pics yo

i think it is like 36 x 48 or so.  enough to do my dash inners and maybe 2 more sets IF i feel up to it....  better start getting on my good side :lol: