Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Ugh. Conceptual help time  (Read 2242 times)

Offline FJman

• Rider
Ugh. Conceptual help time
« on: July 17, 2006, 05:57:51 PM »
I'm talking to someone on another board, who's spraying an R6.  Rather, he's planning on doing so.

He states that he can run a 20 shot of spray without extra fuel, becuase he's running 110octane.  I get this, it's a tiny shot and shouldn't be too terrible.

However, then he says that you can run a motor on the dyno on pump gas and then run it on race gas and watch the a/f mixture change, becuase more octane = richer a/f mixture.

Someone hook me up with ammo to explain it a bit clearer to him?  Or put me straight if he's right, but last I checked fuel was fuel, as far as a/f ratios (with some minor fluctiation with oxygenation/specific gravity).

Offline dakinebusa

• Mad Post Whore
Re: Ugh. Conceptual help time
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2006, 06:38:55 PM »
Octane is resistance to detonation as measured in a Waukesha test engine.
A/F ratio has all to do with the amount of carbon, hydrogen and oxygen in the fuel and the amount of air that is used for combustion.
C, H, O fractions in the fuel cannot be correlated with octane.
That takes chemical structure information.

Offline badassblackbusa

• Post Master
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 05:10:40 AM »
well to be make this easier more octane prevents detenation from too much heat so it will do what he is trying to accomplish but not by changing a/f ratio. unless its an oxynegnated fuel then it will make it leaner .
and to saint peter i will tell another solider reporting sir ive served my time in hell..

Offline BrutalBusa

• Rider
    • TriStateSurvival
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2006, 06:43:19 PM »
A higher octane fuel is harder to ignite and keep burning, it takes more compression to make it burn properly. It could effect your A/F because the fuel isn't being completely consumed during combustion. It would affect your A/F ratio, not becuase you have more fuel in the mix. It would affect it because less of it being burned.
04 Busa
Gear based Dry shot with #46 jet
Lowered
16-40 gearing
MSD SB6 ignition

10" macintosh swingarm and rearsets
Air shifter shift light or the horn button
USB PCIII
2 stage rev limiter
ECU Flash enabled
www.TriStateSurvival.com