Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: 05-06 Clutch Fix  (Read 7164 times)

Offline Ra1000r

• Apprentice Post Whore
  • Where am I?
05-06 Clutch Fix
« on: July 23, 2006, 10:09:32 AM »
I checked out the clutch for myself and it is a very simple design. Here are my mods for FREE!!! 

The following mods will fix:
1) the hard to get neutral when hot
2) Allow more clutch slide ability
3) More adjustability before clutch slippage
4) smooth feel
5) disengages the slipper clutch for longer clutch life

Do the following things to your clutch:
1) REMOVE the Inner fiber, chatter spring and chatter washer.  REPLACE with a standard fiber.
2) Rebuild stack and CHANGE the most outer steel with one size thicker steel.
3) REMOVE 3 black push rods on the pressure plate.
4) ADJUST the clutch lever screw "OUT" to 1/2 or 3/4 threads showing
5) ADJUST the pressure plate push rod with pressure plate fully installed.  (Should be a little play between push rod and pressure plate) making sure to allow full lever release and engagement observed by a little play in the clutch lever with full movement of clutch pack.

Your clutch should be smooth and longer lasting if proper maintainance is performed at clutch lever, and watching the stack height through the oil fix cap hole.  There is no need to buy anything else.

Offline Shamrock

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
    • Shamrock Racing
Re: 05-06 Clutch Fix
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2006, 10:18:50 AM »
You would still have to weld the  2 peice hub to  get it completely not to slip.

Offline Ra1000r

• Apprentice Post Whore
  • Where am I?
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2006, 09:50:22 PM »
Please explain "HOW" what can slip with the clutch fully engaged?  The movement of the slipper gears no longer effects anything without the black push rods.  To weld the gears accomplishes nothing in reference to the clutch pack. 

Offline gnd111

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
  • Fried Chicken and Gasoline...
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2006, 07:14:34 AM »
Please explain "HOW" what can slip with the clutch fully engaged?  The movement of the slipper gears no longer effects anything without the black push rods.  To weld the gears accomplishes nothing in reference to the clutch pack. 

The hub has a pulling effect at higher sppeds or rpms - correct?

Offline Shamrock

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
    • Shamrock Racing
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2006, 11:30:14 AM »
Yes GND111

Hopefully the pics  will  tell him the story  :wink:

But it is a little more  forgiveing then the  busa  because it has 3  springs keeping pressure  on the back  side of the 2 part slipper

Offline Ra1000r

• Apprentice Post Whore
  • Where am I?
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2006, 09:37:50 PM »
Going forward the hub does nothing to affect the clutch.  On deceleration, without the 3 black push rods, it still can do nothing.

Offline Shamrock

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
    • Shamrock Racing
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2006, 09:03:30 AM »
Going forward the hub does nothing to affect the clutch.  On deceleration, without the 3 black push rods, it still can do nothing.

So your saying that the slipper clutch does nothing  going  forward  :? :bah:

I guess there must be alot of people out there that have it all Wrong. Give my buddy Brock a call and tell him that  :wink:

Offline DaveO

• Legacy Rider
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2006, 12:07:49 PM »
You would still have to weld the  2 peice hub to  get it completely not to slip.

Replace the two piece with Brock's mod and be done with it....

Dave
« Last Edit: July 28, 2006, 12:09:50 PM by DaveO »
220.312 at Maxton...ALL MOTOR

www.NewLimitsTuning.com

OFFICIAL SITE SPONSOR

Offline Shamrock

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
    • Shamrock Racing
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2006, 02:04:23 PM »

Replace the two piece with Brock's mod and be done with it....

Dave

already did  :wink: and the billit hub also i was just trying to  tell this  something that he must know that everybody else does not.

Offline Ra1000r

• Apprentice Post Whore
  • Where am I?
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2006, 04:53:15 PM »
In looking at your pictures, and observing the movement that can occur, please explain how that movement "effects" a fully engaged clutch or any of the dynamics within the clutch basket with NO black push rods in the pressure plate? 

Offline Shamrock

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
    • Shamrock Racing
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2006, 05:26:33 PM »
http://www.liquidgixx.com/GSXR1000K5TechnicalManual.pdf

Look at that

Now what holds the inner  hub in place.   The outer peice of the 2 peice then the inner  peice that goes to the input shaft. Correct?
Now you have a chance of the outer peice ofthe hub moving like i have showed you in the pics.
So with that little bit of movement what can happen? alot of diffrent things but you get the idea i hope

Im not trying to be a dick  here  but you see what i am saying or understand it ?

1/32 of a inch can make a big diffrence
« Last Edit: August 16, 2006, 02:14:27 PM by 469 Boy*Robert Kelly »

Offline Shamrock

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
    • Shamrock Racing
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2006, 05:30:14 PM »
there are  other ways you  can use the slipper also well atleast make it  a little stiffer
http://yoshimura-shop.netmove.co.jp/ap/dtcat?p=6/3/7&s=193/173/197&l=en&t=/c_gsxr1_e/c_gsxr1_e/c_gsxr2_e/c_gsxr3_e&d=2119

Offline DaveO

• Legacy Rider
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2006, 09:21:05 PM »
469 is right...the movement allowed during "accel" can effect clutch feel/static pressure when dragracing....All our SS 1K bikes run the BDE mod with results that speak for themselves....

Like 1st and 2nd place in SS last year....and 1st in points right now.....

Dave

www.NewLimitsTuning.com

OFFICIAL SITE SPONSOR

Offline Ra1000r

• Apprentice Post Whore
  • Where am I?
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2006, 05:31:05 AM »
DaveO, your wins was because of the BDE clutch mod....  :shock:  Not trying to be arguementive, but you both keep stating that the 1/32 movement "effects", but never say how.  HOW does it effect it? 

The moment that any clutch engagement occurs all "slack" from the chain to the transmission to the slipper to the basket is GONE.  Sitting at the line or at a stop light ready to launch with the slightest clutch engagement causes the drivetrain to lock. So HOW does it effect clutch engagement at this point?  I say that at that point it does nothing, that is why the mods that I suggested work before needing to buy a BDE clutch mod. I am not saying there is no movement, just the movement ability does not affect.

Offline DaveO

• Legacy Rider
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2006, 09:11:51 AM »
Ra,

SO you think that once it is preloaded the load never changes???? If that were the case the two piece Busa setup would function flawlessly also(NOT), we learned that 7 years ago....

Our wins were due to many different reasons...one of them was that we had CONSISTENT clutch engagement under high power(for stock motors)/high stress launches.

Instead of being "argumentive" just bring your bike to the track and try to run CONSISTENT 1.5-1.6 sixty foots with a stock WB bike with 3" of ground clearence and no ballast....

As to how....the static pressure changes during launch due to the movement, effecting the engagement under high load.

Your suggestions are fine for everyday driver.....they will cause "chatter" during drag style launches sometimes when plates are hot/dry. I understand your thinking of removing the 3 pins will eliminate all changes in feel/engagement.....BUT unfortunately the track has shown us different....Just ask the people who are ACTUALLY racing their bikes for their feedback....

The most important factor IMO is the stack height and adjustment procedure....and we check/change it sometimes EVERY pass in eliminations.....

Dave
« Last Edit: July 29, 2006, 04:13:59 PM by DaveO »

www.NewLimitsTuning.com

OFFICIAL SITE SPONSOR

Offline SuperGrizz

• Mad Post Whore
  • Boost = Good
    • California Superbikes
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2006, 05:05:07 AM »
Both DaveO and Rob are 100% correct. Though I tend to stay away from drag racing, their complimentary explanations should fully enlighten everyone on the '05-'06 clutch.
HOME OF THE OG KANOOTER VALVE

The Rider Formerly Known as TurboGrizz
Now 400 hp Supercharged GSXR 1000 (plus a little juice)

Offline Ra1000r

• Apprentice Post Whore
  • Where am I?
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2006, 02:07:35 PM »
Thanks for the info!!!