Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Crank Work  (Read 22233 times)

Offline watco

• Rider
  • Where am I?
Re: Crank Work
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2006, 02:39:46 PM »
question from a english man, how much does your re/worked crank cost,this service is not available in the uk!.......many thanks...........

Offline TRNorBRN6001

• Post Master
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2006, 03:50:18 PM »
Beautiful crank, someone put a little elbow grease in it to get it so shiney!

Try TTS or P3 in England, I think there are a couple more but can not remember off hand. If you have to go to the States you can also check out Marine Cranshaft along with Falicon. The latter are a little cheaper and also do a nice job and a little nitride action.

Offline watco

• Rider
  • Where am I?
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2006, 06:18:31 PM »
hate to say being english but no one does a finer job then the yanks, there where i will be spending my dollars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Offline Rick Gregory

• Rider
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2006, 07:37:22 AM »
question from a english man, how much does your re/worked crank cost,this service is not available in the uk!.......many thanks...........

Isac:

The cost was part of a package deal on the entire motor rebuild as such would not be usefull to post pricing. I would contact falicon or your builder for costs however it was reasonable.

Offline watco

• Rider
  • Where am I?
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2006, 09:46:12 AM »
 :D....rick, thanks for getting back to me,going to send my crank off to ape.......what you hoping to run when all together??????????

Offline TRNorBRN6001

• Post Master
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2006, 09:04:00 AM »
What all are you going to have done on the crank? Any reason you decided to go with APE?

Offline Jay

• Post Master
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2006, 11:33:56 PM »
What all are you going to have done on the crank? Any reason you decided to go with APE?
Probably wants it balanced to within  less than a gram.Jay

Offline TRNorBRN6001

• Post Master
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2006, 01:12:32 PM »
The shipping might cost as much as the crank  :lol: :lol: :lol: , but Jay will hook ya up with the works. He might just have one you could pay out right for and save you a little time and half the shipping cost. Then just sell the old one out of your bike.

Offline Gixx1300R

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2006, 06:48:12 PM »
Sorry but I wouldnt let Falicon work on my Lawn Mower Crank  :duh: :hellno: :hellno: :duh: :hellno:
War is nothing more than Old Men talking while Young men die

Offline Rick Gregory

• Rider
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2006, 07:42:08 AM »
My work why not mechanical is service oreinted and we truly are focused and measured on providing world class service which we measure by client retention numbers which are running about 98%. Our income is based on recurring revenue from leasing software and hardware. We have to do it right everytime! You can find a few who hate us, we failed somewhere with those clients.

With that said, both APE and Falicon have great reputations for crank work. I'am sure like any business you can find those that had a less than expected expericence with either. I guess the take away if there is a reocurring issue or pattern I would look after rather than one good or negative post.

Rick
« Last Edit: November 14, 2006, 07:49:11 AM by Rick Gregory »

Offline Gixx1300R

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2006, 09:13:47 PM »
why! what do you know that you are not telling us.. :D

I sent Falicon 4 cranks (2 Hayabusa and 2 Gixxer1000). I did not get the same cranks returned to me. 3 of the cranks had journals repaired,the cranks that I sent were perfect. I called and they argued that they were the same cranks. I told them that I put my name in all of the cranks that I sent them and none of these cranks had my stamp. Then they started back peddling and making excuses saying that it didnt make a difference. I told them that it did since I had already ordered the main bearings for all 4 cranks. I have had too many bad dealings with Falicon and I am not the only one. I will not use them PERIOD!!!!

Offline Badbusa@work

• Post Whore
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2006, 12:54:50 PM »

I sent Falicon 4 cranks (2 Hayabusa and 2 Gixxer1000). I did not get the same cranks returned to me. 3 of the cranks had journals repaired,the cranks that I sent were perfect. I called and they argued that they were the same cranks. I told them that I put my name in all of the cranks that I sent them and none of these cranks had my stamp. Then they started back peddling and making excuses saying that it didnt make a difference. I told them that it did since I had already ordered the main bearings for all 4 cranks. I have had too many bad dealings with Falicon and I am not the only one. I will not use them PERIOD!!!!

DITTO :puke:
FL BOYS

Offline Jay

• Post Master
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2006, 11:09:41 PM »
Every customers part we receive at APE, be it a crank, block, head, etc has a work order written on it and the work order number is written on the part with a vib pencil. There are never any parts in the shop that do not have a traceable number on it. With our system, there is no chance of mixing up customers parts.

On heads, we even go so far as to code the cam caps so there is no chance of a cam cap mix up.

All of you that have gotten cranks back from us, that is what that four digit number is that is on it. You always get your same part back from us unless it is specifically an exchange item like our big bore busa cylinder assemblies.

Jay

Offline gixxerfixxer

• Rider
  • Always rebuilding....
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2006, 01:55:22 AM »

My GSXR-1000 Crank was done(lighten, polished, cryo and rebalanced counter left on) by Falican in I think late in 03' and has worked perfect so far when did the start this practice of exchanging start? It is a normal practice but always an option never done with out permission. I know i marked my crank and also my cyl. head (lee's) and I did get the same ones back. Maybe they are just to busy these days??? Hard to believe they would even concider that? Hmm makes me think for next time!!
Maybe this year?

Offline Rick Gregory

• Rider
« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2006, 07:54:09 AM »
Nick-I would be upset too if that happened too me, but it did not.

APE was not perfect in my transaction. Back in 2003 APE took 3 1/2 months before shipping too remove the counter balancer and balance the crank. I was qouted 4 weeks plus shipping. I sent my crank 2 day air the next day after being qouted that time and later when asking the status was told sorry we are in our busy superbike season doing cranks. Call back next month...

Was this an exception? I would not know. But it happened and contributed too very long engine build for me.

Ironic now when the pistons, tranny, bearings, and crank all arrrived on or before expected and the engine builder is months behind completing...

Offline Badbusa@work

• Post Whore
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2006, 12:05:25 PM »
Nick-I would be upset too if that happened too me, but it did not.

APE was not perfect in my transaction. Back in 2003 APE took 3 1/2 months before shipping too remove the counter balancer and balance the crank. I was qouted 4 weeks plus shipping. I sent my crank 2 day air the next day after being qouted that time and later when asking the status was told sorry we are in our busy superbike season doing cranks. Call back next month...

Was this an exception? I would not know. But it happened and contributed too very long engine build for me.

Ironic now when the pistons, tranny, bearings, and crank all arrrived on or before expected and the engine builder is months behind completing...

I WILL TELL YOU OF A SITUATION I HAD WITH FALICON, IT WENT LIKE THIS, I TOOK MY MOTOR APART AT THE END OF A SEASON, IT WAS A 4MM SUPER CRANK FROM FALICON, THERE WERE NO ISSUES WITH THE MOTOR WHEN IT WAS DISASSEMBLED TO FRESHEN UP FOR THE NEXT YEAR, I SENT THE CRANK OFF AND HAD IT CHECKED BY FALICON FOR CRACKS AND TO MAKE SURE EVERYTHING WAS OKAY WITH THE CRANK, THEY CALLED AND REC. HAVING THE NOSE AT THE STARTER STRAIGHTNED IT WAS .001 OR .002 OUT, AND HAVE JOURNALS MICRO POLISHED, I SAID OAKY AND TOLD THEM TO DO IT. WHEN I GOT THE CRANK BACK I REPLACED ALL BEARINGS , BLAH BLAH BLAH, WENT THRU MY NORMAL REBUILD, I HAVE BEEN DOING MY ENGINES FOR 14YRS AT THIS POINT. I GOT THE MOTOR RUNNING AND IN LESS THAN 20 MILES IT SPUN NUMBER 2 AND 3 ROD BEARING, I SENT CRANK BACK TO FALICON HAD IT CHECKED NO WELDING NEEDED, JUST POLISH AND THATS ITS THERES NOTHING WRONG , IWAS TOLD THAT I ASSEMBLED THE MOTOR WITH TRASH IN IT.... I DIDNT THINK SO BUT WHO KNOWS MAYBE I MISSED SOMETHING, SO I COMPLETELY CLEANED THE CASES , HEAD , PASSAGE WAYS YOU NAME IT , IT WAS MEDICALLY CLEAN WHEN I WAS DONE, I ALSO REPLACED ALL BEARINGS DOUBLE CHECKING MY SPECS AND CLEARENCES AGAIN AND REPLACED THE OIL PUMP JUST IN CASE. PUT IT BACK TOGETHER, AND GUESS WHAT LESS THAN 20 MILES LATER 2,3 AGAIN,,HMMM  NO LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MAD, I SENT THE CRANK BACK AND SAID WHAT THE EFF, THEY SAID TRASH, I SAID BULLSHIT,THEY SAID NOTHING IS WRONG WITH THE CRANK AND I SAID SEND IT BACK, I SENT IT TO ANOTHER CRANK GUY AND HE CALLED ME THE DAY AFTER RECIEVING IT AND SAID, 2,3 ARE OUT OF ROUND OVER A THOU, CRACKED ON 2,3 AND THE CENTER LINE BETWEEN 2,3 AND 1,4 ARE NOT THE SAME (BENT CRANK) IN OTHER WORDS A PILE OF SHIT, NOW WETHER I GOT A DIFFERENT CRANK I DONT KNOW, ALL I KNOW IS IT CAME OUT OF PERFECTLY GOOD RUNNING MOTOR WITH NO ISSUES AND WOULD NOT GO 20 MILES AFTER, AND THEN ON 2 OCCASIONS WAS TOLD THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH IT...... CONSIDERING WHAT WAS FOUND ITS ODVIOUS THEY DIDNT EVEN CHECK IT. NEVVVVVVVVVVVVVER AGAIN.....
FL BOYS

Offline whtrthanu

• Post Master
    • www.saeoutlawperformance.com
« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2006, 11:15:38 PM »
Funny you should bring up problems with Falicon. I recently sent them a set of rods to recondition, a set of their knife rods, I knew that 2 needed to be replaces and the other 2 could without a doubt be saved......They sent them back 2 new ones and the 2 old ones, said they were fine. They told me the 2 did not need to be recond just reuse them.........I got them and checked them they were N/G they were out of round by .0005-.001 so basically I wasted my money for shipping them 2 them. Heres the funy part, the 2 new rods that they sent back were standard length busa rods while the original set were -2.5mm. Why the fuck would you send me 2 long rods when you know Im running the shorter ones......I can tell you this, who ever is working there better learn to speak english and read a mic other wise they will goin out of business quik.......
« Last Edit: November 22, 2006, 12:27:49 PM by whtrthanu »

Offline Rick Gregory

• Rider
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2006, 10:07:55 AM »
I really had no intention too turn this into a Falicon vs APE bashfest. I never even mentioned APE's name in my post until it was clear it was turning into a Falicon bash. I was just happy the crank arrived quickly, it turned out to be lighter and the polishing work done.

My APE modified crank held up fine, I had no problems with it other than the time it took to do versus the qouted time

This day and age with digital camera's, camera phones and e-mail it is pretty easy too document product sent and received. Does not change the facts of what others have posted with there situations but I don't see where Falicon is on here responding. They are not a mom n pop operation and obviuolsy have been doing something right to be where they are at today.

Having had shitty work, service and products with several bikes in the past 20 years I can certantly relate too folks venting and do the same. When someone does you right the same shoe fits as when you have been fucked over and should give kudo's on a job well done. Hence my orignal post

Rick
« Last Edit: November 22, 2006, 11:03:14 AM by Rick Gregory »

Offline SeanAtFalicon

• New User!
  • Where am I?
« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2006, 01:03:04 PM »
 I'm not looking to turn this into a pissing match, but after having read through this thread I feel I should respond to some of the accusations and stories in here.

First of all, Falicon has never, ever, returned a crank that was not the one sent in by the customer. To say so is just absurd. What would be our motive? To steal your good crank and replace it with a bad one? Why would we want to do that? We don't sell OEM cranks. We make the baddest ALL BILLET busa cranks on the planet. We modify and repair stock cranks as a service to our customers on a budget. We don't want or need to keep your OEM crank, new or otherwise. The "work order number on the crank" idea is a good one, one we came up with twenty years ago.

Second, to the guy who supposedly had journals go bad on a crank that we repaired, I am very sorry you can't assemble an engine properly. Perhaps you should pay someone to do it next time. We ship literally dozens of repaired cranks per week and they all seem to work fine. Why was your crank the exception? That is a question you need to ask yourself. What could we have done that would have made your crank go bad? If you use a little common sense, or perhaps had a better understanding of how your crank was repaired, you would realize that the problem could not possibly have been us. It's just easier to blame us then accept that you messed up somewhere though, huh?

We have had cranks worked on by every crank shop in the nation come through here for repair, including competitors that advertise on this site. We are familiar with our competitions work, and let me tell you we are confident that our position as the number one high performance motorcycle crank shop in the world is very secure.

The competition can make all the sly comments they want, at the end of the day who buys parts from who? Who put's our products (gold cam sprockets, baskets, etc.) in their catalog as if they were their own? What better endorsement of the quality of work done by the guys here could we ask for than having the competitors buy our stuff?

I'm very happy that some of our customers have stuck up for us in here. We look forward to another thirty years of serving the high performance community with our constantly evolving line of products. Our 11mm busa strokers (biggest available anywhere) are kicking butt on dragstrips all over the country, our new 5mm ZX14 stroker crank is currently undergoing testing and you can look forward to a full line of products for that bike in the immediate future as well. The facts are that we are the best in the business and are in no danger of losing that position anytime soon. Anyone with any questions or comments can speak to me directly by calling Falicon and I would be happy to talk to you.

Offline gnd111

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
  • Fried Chicken and Gasoline...
« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2006, 02:28:40 PM »
After reading Sean at Falicons bullshit you can bet they will NEVER get a dime of my money.  Lot's of people can assemble a motor to specs so to say someone on this board can't do is fucking stupid on your part.

Keep typing and lose some more business... :thumb:

Offline Gixx1300R

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2006, 03:11:05 PM »
 I have been knowing Eric (BadBusa@work) for some time now. And I can say that he does know how to put low 8 second motors together.  Falicon is a 1 1/2 hour drive from me. I still send my stuff across the country before sending it to you guys. I always tell anyone who is looking for parts to steer clear of Falicon. Now I have had problems with A.P.E also. I had a set of clutches that I purchased from them. I made one pass and burned them up. I was so pissed that I sent them back. 2 days after they got them I got a call from Paul Gast. We talked and he refunded me the cost of the clutch plates and some of my time tearing my motor down (good customer service). It was not A.P.E's fault but they took care of me. There are over 10,000 members on this board so 10,000 potential customers just read that bullshit you just posted. I'll make sure that I link this to some other boards so the list of potential customers will see how well you will treat them. Every business will have a bad deal now and then. It is customer service that counts in the end.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2006, 06:00:42 PM by Gixx1300R »

Offline gnd111

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
  • Fried Chicken and Gasoline...
« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2006, 04:01:05 PM »
I'm not looking to turn this into a pissing match, but after having read through this thread I feel I should respond to some of the accusations and stories in here.

First of all, Falicon has never, ever, returned a crank that was not the one sent in by the customer. To say so is just absurd. What would be our motive? To steal your good crank and replace it with a bad one? Why would we want to do that? We don't sell OEM cranks. We make the baddest ALL BILLET busa cranks on the planet. We modify and repair stock cranks as a service to our customers on a budget. We don't want or need to keep your OEM crank, new or otherwise. The "work order number on the crank" idea is a good one, one we came up with twenty years ago.

Second, to the guy who supposedly had journals go bad on a crank that we repaired, I am very sorry you can't assemble an engine properly. Perhaps you should pay someone to do it next time. We ship literally dozens of repaired cranks per week and they all seem to work fine. Why was your crank the exception? That is a question you need to ask yourself. What could we have done that would have made your crank go bad? If you use a little common sense, or perhaps had a better understanding of how your crank was repaired, you would realize that the problem could not possibly have been us. It's just easier to blame us then accept that you messed up somewhere though, huh?

We have had cranks worked on by every crank shop in the nation come through here for repair, including competitors that advertise on this site. We are familiar with our competitions work, and let me tell you we are confident that our position as the number one high performance motorcycle crank shop in the world is very secure.

The competition can make all the sly comments they want, at the end of the day who buys parts from who? Who put's our products (gold cam sprockets, baskets, etc.) in their catalog as if they were their own? What better endorsement of the quality of work done by the guys here could we ask for than having the competitors buy our stuff?

I'm very happy that some of our customers have stuck up for us in here. We look forward to another thirty years of serving the high performance community with our constantly evolving line of products. Our 11mm busa strokers (biggest available anywhere) are kicking butt on dragstrips all over the country, our new 5mm ZX14 stroker crank is currently undergoing testing and you can look forward to a full line of products for that bike in the immediate future as well. The facts are that we are the best in the business and are in no danger of losing that position anytime soon. Anyone with any questions or comments can speak to me directly by calling Falicon and I would be happy to talk to you.

For posterity.... :thumb:

Offline MasterOfFaster

• New User!
  • Where am I?
« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2006, 07:07:10 PM »
IWAS TOLD THAT I ASSEMBLED THE MOTOR WITH TRASH IN IT.... PUT IT BACK TOGETHER, AND GUESS WHAT LESS THAN 20 MILES LATER 2,3 AGAIN,,HMMM  NO LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MAD, I SENT THE CRANK BACK AND SAID WHAT THE EFF, THEY SAID TRASH, I SAID BULLSHIT,THEY SAID NOTHING IS WRONG WITH THE CRANK AND I SAID SEND IT BACK, I SENT IT TO ANOTHER CRANK GUY AND HE CALLED ME THE DAY AFTER RECIEVING IT AND SAID, 2,3 ARE OUT OF ROUND OVER A THOU, CRACKED ON 2,3 AND THE CENTER LINE BETWEEN 2,3 AND 1,4 ARE NOT THE SAME (BENT CRANK) IN OTHER WORDS A PILE OF SHIT, NOW WETHER I GOT A DIFFERENT CRANK I DONT KNOW, ALL I KNOW IS IT CAME OUT OF PERFECTLY GOOD RUNNING MOTOR WITH NO ISSUES AND WOULD NOT GO 20 MILES AFTER, AND THEN ON 2 OCCASIONS WAS TOLD THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH IT...... CONSIDERING WHAT WAS FOUND ITS ODVIOUS THEY DIDNT EVEN CHECK IT.

So I guess we can all agree that nobody is perfect.  BadBusa, if you'll check the end of the crank, Falicon puts a number on it.  You can indeed tell if you got the right crank back.  Now, I don't know what they told you, and just getting your side of the conversation doesn't help me understand what really happened.  I've worked with lots of top-name engine builders, including the factory guys.  They will all admit to putting an engine together wrong.  Saying you've been doing if for a long time does not mean you won't build a bad one, but it does suggest you might have trouble accepting that you _could_ have missed something.  I know I have, and I've been doing it for 30 years.  I _will_ build a bad one and accept that fact.  My experience is that anyone who loudly insists that its not their fault is someone that I have to be careful with.  And I suspect Falicon gets a lot of people who blame them wrongly, and I bet they get darn tired of it.  I wouldn't want to be in their position.

My experience with them (and I've been there many, many, many times) is they put a huge amount of effort into making sure each crank is marked, and tracked at every step.  I have no doubt that they really try their best to do the best work they can.  I bet they will make a mistake from time to time, and try to do what's right.  But I know if _I_ call them and start yelling at them and say they screwed up, they might take offense at that.  I'm not perfect, and I don't expect that of them.  But they do have an amazing batting average, do fantastic work, and are good people.  There is a reason they well respected in the industry.

If they were crooks or idiots, they would have been out of business a long time ago.  I don't disagree that Sean came on a bit strong, but I'll bet he's on the receiving end of this kind of stuff and gets tired of it.  Life goes on...

BTW, BadBusa.... try turning off your Caps Lock, and give the spell checker a try...  Some people figure that if you can't handle the details on a public post, maybe you also missed that piece of dirt in your oil can.