Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Methanol and nitrous  (Read 2260 times)

Offline cr500

• Apprentice Post Whore
  • Where am I?
Methanol and nitrous
« on: August 23, 2006, 05:40:13 PM »
Are there any special warnings/ advice on using methanol with a bigger wet system? This will be for a drag engine. I realise the fuel system will need some extra flow work. Will methanol make bigger hits safer, easier on the engine? Or is the extra hastle of going to methanol not needed with nitrous?

Offline cr500

• Apprentice Post Whore
  • Where am I?
Re: Methanol and nitrous
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006, 03:52:42 PM »
No ,the bike Isnt built yet ,but we have run methanol in dirt track bikes and would think it would be good to run a drag engine on methanol if we are running big amounts of gas to cool things and stop detonation. One thought I had was to run 100-110 octane race fuel through the normal fuel system ,then inject alcohol into the fuel/Nos nozzle when the nitrous is on. Of course I will have to go to a much bigger fuel spray nozzle. I was wondering if anyone has tried the "dual fuel" route. The main question was if methanol goes well with nitrous or if it cools things down too much.

Offline cr500

• Apprentice Post Whore
  • Where am I?
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 05:25:15 PM »
If it was goping to be too much head ache with not enough returns ,then I wont look into it. If it was going to stop detonation and keep the engine safer, then I would consider it. I always thought alchohol was methanol. I know in Australia that methanol is pretty popular at the drags and I always used in for dirt track racing.

Offline eliXXir

• Rider
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2006, 07:49:07 PM »
ive know guys to spray with alcohol but not methanol
you don't get the gains on alky cause it is an oxygen bearing fuel so you can't spray much
i'm sure you could get it to work but it is a matter of how much headache you want
methanol is alky..  it is one of the two forms regularly used the other being ethanol..  Sure you know what you are talking about?

Methanol is sick sick sick stuff to run in any motor and it allows serious compression increases and running nitrous is just icing on the cake.  Yes, it is a pain to tune in and is very destructive if you don't have an experienced tuner helping.

You need 2.2x the amount of normal gasoline for methanol and about 1.6x for ethanol.

That help?