Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Under Tail and License Plate  (Read 20253 times)

Offline trex

• Rider
Under Tail and License Plate
« on: September 07, 2006, 01:54:55 PM »
I have been trying to figure out how to put my undertail on with out messing it up with a license plate.  I tried a side built license plate holder that I put in the extra bolt hole from my dual exhaust foot peg.  My wife came out and said the Busa isn't  a chopper - 4 more opinions - 4 more thumbs down. 

I know we all have seen how the sport bike riders have mounted the license up under the undertail against the back plastic.  I decided this would be the cleanest but not turned sideways like I have seen.  I trimmed the plate up and fit it in the square box that is in the back with the stock bolts thru the battery box.  I next found a flat 3 light LED that I had laying around - think I paid about $5 for it.  So with about and an hours worth of time I have a decent looking license plate holder that will not get messed up when I lower my bike at the strip.  I have bent numerous licenses when they caught my tire after being lowered and launched hard.  Cheers :smokin:

We screw the other guy and pass the savings on to you!!
Age is a high price to pay for maturity!!

Offline rayjred

• Rider
  • Never Say Die
Re: Under Tail and License Plate
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2006, 04:16:41 PM »
That's nice dude. I haven't done the undertail mod yet and one of the reasons I haven't is I'm not sure how I want to mount the license plate. I hear guys that say the get harrassed by cops for the side mount even though it is not exactly illegal in Florida. I wonder how the way you did it would sit with the local law enforement around here. Looks good bro, nice work....... 8) 8) 8)
RayJRed

Offline trex

• Rider
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2006, 10:12:40 PM »
That's nice dude. I haven't done the undertail mod yet and one of the reasons I haven't is I'm not sure how I want to mount the license plate. I hear guys that say the get harassed by cops for the side mount even though it is not exactly illegal in Florida. I wonder how the way you did it would sit with the local law enforcement around here. Looks good bro, nice work....... 8) 8) 8)

I have two brother-in-laws in law in forcement in South Dakota and have been told the sideways mounted plate is illegal in this state  That means there are quite a number of Harley's that could get an additional ticket if the officer was being picky.  Cheers 8)
We screw the other guy and pass the savings on to you!!
Age is a high price to pay for maturity!!

Offline WVBusa

• Rider
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2006, 11:18:39 PM »
Lack of proper license plate mounting and LIGHTING is the main reason I don't have an undertail yet.  My local cops are very detail oriented as an excuse to stop you, and even if not used as an excuse for the stop, during a "speed check" stop, any illegality could push them over into the ticket writing mode.  Either all those CA guys don't ride at night or the cops don't care.  I want to be legal, in appearance at least;, a MUST since I am in criminal defense.

Offline walterpowelljr

• Apprentice Post Whore
  • Where am I?
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2006, 10:24:41 PM »
I agree about the legality, I have a couple of friends that did the same setup on their GSXR-1000's and the cops told them it wasnt legal in Arkansas,but you know how some cops are,some are cool and some think they are jesus with a badge, I guess I will try to trim some plastic off my fender and leave the original license plate holder where it's at on my busa,But they do look cool without the plate in the way!! :wink:

Offline Jimzu

• Post Whore
    • Gearhead Clothing, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2006, 10:35:00 PM »
I fabbed one up myself to mount to the two rearmost undertail bolts on my Motorhead undertail. Looks OEM. I plan to install the lighted license plate bolts to keep it clean, yet legal...

Then I'll install that Eclipse tag holder that goes black when you hit a switch... Allegedly...

Offline SPARKY1397R

• Universal Post Whore
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2006, 11:21:04 PM »
i love my undertail,  i hate license plates.  my solution:

Offline J_Smitty

• Rider
  • humpyomommasaywhat?
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2006, 06:10:46 PM »
Well, I am a cop in Maryland.  "Failure to properly fasten and maintain Veh. Reg. plate in a visible position"  (mounting it too far underneath/ in front of rear tire or mounting it sideways "properly fasten") = $60 citation.  Also, any blue or red effect LEDs are also subject to a $50 citation.  Any "Hot Boy" antics (standing up on seat, wheelies, riding while sitting on handlebars, etc...) are subject to Reckless Driving = $510 AND Negligent driving = $140 <--- unless it leads to an accident, then it's $280.  I only give citations to the idiots. Personally, the ones that pull over right away only get a warning from me.  :wink:

Offline Ksana

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2006, 06:15:08 PM »
I fabbed one up myself to mount to the two rearmost undertail bolts on my Motorhead undertail. Looks OEM. I plan to install the lighted license plate bolts to keep it clean, yet legal...

Then I'll install that Eclipse tag holder that goes black when you hit a switch... Allegedly...
Jim
let me know if you do it
I've seen the Eclipse(never on the street)
seriously thinkin about it...

Offline SPARKY1397R

• Universal Post Whore
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2006, 06:31:47 PM »
Well, I am a cop in Maryland.  "Failure to properly fasten and maintain Veh. Reg. plate in a visible position"  (mounting it too far underneath/ in front of rear tire or mounting it sideways "properly fasten") = $60 citation.  Also, any blue or red effect LEDs are also subject to a $50 citation.  Any "Hot Boy" antics (standing up on seat, wheelies, riding while sitting on handlebars, etc...) are subject to Reckless Driving = $510 AND Negligent driving = $140 <--- unless it leads to an accident, then it's $280.  I only give citations to the idiots. Personally, the ones that pull over right away only get a warning from me.  :wink:

cops are cool here in PC.  they don't bother me at all.  only cop that has pulled me over confused me for some tool on a GREEN zx6 that was popping wheelies. 

Offline lowrider

• Rider
  • FOR ALL THE SOLDIERS GOD SPEED
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2006, 03:37:21 PM »
OK i get it has to to be in site and lit up so they can see its up to date and run yur # what i don't get is how come no side mount i can see them just fine and read all the # just fine. i have two guys i ride with one is a trooper one a X cop (every one hauls ass). they say its just the dicks in office that get this stupid shit passed and then it gives the dicks a reason to pull u over.they both say there is no reason why side mounts should be against the law they can read them fine and it should be harassment if some one gets pulled over for a side mount and I agree. :evil: :bah:
  they said that if you have never had a warning when a cop pulls u over and he gives u a ticket go to court an tell the judge u had no clue it was against the law no one ever told u when you got it at the local shop
 and because you can read it clearly it never crossed your mind.
this should work once they said because most people don't really know.  8)

Offline SPARKY1397R

• Universal Post Whore
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2006, 04:45:38 PM »
OK i get it has to to be in site and lit up so they can see its up to date and run yur # what i don't get is how come no side mount i can see them just fine and read all the # just fine. i have two guys i ride with one is a trooper one a X cop (every one hauls ass). they say its just the dicks in office that get this stupid shit passed and then it gives the dicks a reason to pull u over.they both say there is no reason why side mounts should be against the law they can read them fine and it should be harassment if some one gets pulled over for a side mount and I agree. :evil: :bah:
  they said that if you have never had a warning when a cop pulls u over and he gives u a ticket go to court an tell the judge u had no clue it was against the law no one ever told u when you got it at the local shop

it was explained to me that the plate has to be mounted in the OEM location.  so sideways on the swing arm is illegal despite being able to see it.

Offline J_Smitty

• Rider
  • humpyomommasaywhat?
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2006, 06:21:38 AM »

it was explained to me that the plate has to be mounted in the OEM location.  so sideways on the swing arm is illegal despite being able to see it.

Unfortunately, "Ignorance of the law is no excuse."  Your trooper and ex-cop friend should have told you about that saying.  EVERY judge is different and are subject to good and bad days just like you and I.  If you go into court with the "I didn't know" defense, the judge can let you slide or hit you with that phrase along with the fine AND court cost.  There are a lot of laws that "don't make sense", but it is our job as law enforcement officers to enforce them.  Having said that, we, as law enforcement officers are granted the ability to use our own descretion.   Therefore, we can ignore the license plate if it doesn't conform to regulation, or pull you over and issue anything from an equipment repair order, a verbal warning, a written warning, or a citation.  It all depends on the cop and also how YOU act when you are pulled over.  If I gave a ticket for every license plate I saw that had a cover (clear, tinted, or sprayed - all are illegal in MD), I'd run out of citation books within a 1/2 hour.  It's all up to each individual officer.  Just be cool when you get pulled over.  I tell the judge if someone was very polite or very rude when I go to court for a ticket.  That usually has the defendant paying more (sometimes with points) or just paying the court cost $25 and no points. :D

Offline lowrider

• Rider
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2006, 06:14:14 PM »
so what yur saying is, if it is the law then you as a cop have the right to break the law.buy not enforce it
.as that is yur JOB. :twisted:

No just playing HeeHEE :lol: :lol:
but really it would be nice if the real cops not the dicks stood up and said look this law is sssssstupid get it off the books but they are not going to cuz as you said   ((we, as law enforcement officers are granted the ability to use our own discretion.   Therefore, we can ignore the license plate if it doesn't conform to regulation, or pull you over and issue anything from an equipment repair order, a verbal warning, a written warning, or a citation.  It all depends on the cop and also how YOU act when you are pulled over.  If I gave a ticket))  this is a power trip if i kiss yur ass cuz you stopped me for some thing stupid (side mount) i might not get a ticket is bull shit you should never have pulled me over in the first place. the law is there just to give YOU a reason to make a stop. and thats  it. the side mount is in plain site you can read it so whats the problem. the world is going Commie. thats whats when i cant express my self through my bike or any thing els and not be hurting any one including self. no the cops are not here for the people they are here for the dicks in office to do there biding. see whats wrong here is YOU as cops have to much power at your discretion. if i get a ticket for some i did wrong .speeding tags out of date.some thing real i say yes i did it and pay up.
but when some thing as stupid as this i will set my ass in jail you feed me and the judge and you can go blow me i wont give a dime to the ticket it cast the court more money to put my ass in jail than the ticket and while I'm in there you are responsable for any thing that happens to me if i get sick hurt any thing the state has to pay for it or should is i have all ready payed for it with my tax i pay every year if you had any idea of right and wrong you would say these laws are stupid i cant enforce them but you don't. if you don't like the way the guy looks you pull them over and give them a ticket.

Offline J_Smitty

• Rider
  • humpyomommasaywhat?
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2006, 07:49:05 PM »
Well, busa-budda, I rest my case.  I was merely enlightening you as to how the law works and how you can avoid further if any inconveniences if you were to be pulled over for violating the law.  You seem to be very young and uneducated when it comes to politics and the "real" world.  I say this because though your complaint is a valid one, your anarcish, stomp your feet and hold your breath 'til your blue way of thinking will get you into more trouble than, say, mounting your plate the correct way (cost = $0).  The road that you seem to be headed down (loss of license, loss of bike, and eventually, loss of freedom = priceless).   Yes, there are cops that power trip, but there are a lot more, like myself, that just want you to be safe.  And from the angery tone of your writing, it would be very unsafe for you to lose your cool and buck if an officer like me were to pull you over.  Lastly, if you do not like the laws in your state, do something positive to change them.  Don't do something that will get you fuggedup, jailed or killed.  Then again, I hear Amsterdam is a fun place to live.  Try moving. - Thank you and good nite!!!

Offline lowrider

• Rider
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2006, 09:30:25 PM »
just for the record i served 12 years fighting for your freedom and mine. thats where my anarchism comes from if you want to call it that. i was fighting for those who could not. and im still fighting we all have a voice to say what every we want and when some cop or judge  punnish you for saying some thing they did not like to hear that is wrong and that is not what i or my brothers fought and fight for its not anarchism to think this way if it is then call me what you will. are whole leagle system has lost hold on what is right and wrong thease are petty laws that do nothing more than bring in money they serve no other perpose.
 and as far as amsterdam gos i see how you work if some one dose not think like you or like what you have to say  lets ship then off.there is no law up here against side mount plates it just pisses me off to think that people/ law makers would let some thing this wrong pass. and the thing is they dont let the people know there doing it is all on the sly wrote under some bill that has no bearing on the law being passed. i do what i can to change laws i dont agree with i start with pations to see how many people really agree with you.  i just dont like people telling me what i can do with some thing that i payed for and is mine. that is what freedom is all about. the side plate is just one thing whats next i cant paint my bike unless its oem. specs. see what i saying

WE The People For The People By The people

so many would love it to say we the law makers for the law makers to put more money in our pocket.
any one who has ever been wronged by the system knows what im talking about.

one more thing about the amsterdam thing im not a drug useing hippie u dumb ass the budda stands for my religion"

Offline J_Smitty

• Rider
  • humpyomommasaywhat?
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2006, 10:22:45 PM »
Thank you Finishman

I found it Interesting that he called me the "dumb ass"  He spent 12 years fighting for MY freedom?  What, the freedom to choose what extra value meal?  His grammar and writing abilities are at a 4th grade level at best.  So, yes, I do believe that he was wronged by the system...the SCHOOL system.  Wow, I actually think that I am losing brain cells trying to educate him.  So on that note, I will leave him with the last word (I hope it's spelled correctly) and I also would like a #4 with a coke.

Offline lowrider

• Rider
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2006, 10:46:36 PM »
im sorry you dont have any thing to say about what i said .(cuz im right) as far as spelling and gramer check YUR self. no one on post give a dam and ever spells shit right :lol: u :lol: cum ass this aint :lol: no writers blog/post u dog  :cry:

how's that for bad spelling and grammar. less is more

i hate to say it yur a dumb ass
« Last Edit: October 09, 2006, 10:57:36 PM by busa-budda »

Offline lowrider

• Rider
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2006, 11:26:32 PM »
The purpose of a law is to clearly define what kind of behavior is or is not acceptable in decent society. When it doesn’t do that, it ceases to become a law and becomes, instead, a guideline. And no one should be thrown in jail for breaking a guideline. If guidelines were illegal, I’d be on Death Row.
 :lol:
« Last Edit: October 09, 2006, 11:45:55 PM by busa-budda »

Offline lowrider

• Rider
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2006, 11:43:57 PM »
look yur missing the piont let me show u . thease are real laws that you can get a ticket fo or put in jail this is how stupid it gets

One commits a nuisance if he or she leaves a large amount of trash in their own vehicle.

It is illegal to play checkers in public.

Females are forbidden from doing their own hair without being licensed by the state.

An ordinance prohibits the use of space guns.

Pinball machines are outlawed, as well as mock horse racing games.

It is a felony to persistently tread on the cracks between paving stones on the sidewalk of a state highway

You may not drive a black car on Sundays.

Offline lowrider

• Rider
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2006, 12:12:14 AM »
THIS REMINDS ME OF A 20 YEAR OLD KID THAT CAME TO MY SHOP AND WANTED TO STREET RACE  I TOLD HIM I MEET HIM AT THE TRACK WELL HE FOUND SOMEONE TO RACE ON THE STREET  AND HE WON  AT THE LINE AND A VAN BACK OUT IN FRONT OF HIM  NOW I AM HERE AND HE IS NOT  SO I WISH SOMEONE HAD GAVE HIM A TICKET  THAT DAY HE MIGHT STILL BE HERE
fish man yur right take it to the track. and be smart when yur on a bike i see people all the time with shorts on no shirt or lid.its crazy
but its not the ticket. im saying the law(side mount plates)  is stupid it hurts no one. and r government is out of control. with dumb laws and police officers more than any one should know this they have a larger voice than the avg. person why not step up and help insted of  b  n  part of the problem.
 we need laws but we dont need dumb laws that are there just to give some one a reason to stop u and take money out of your pocket. that is wrong.

Offline lowrider

• Rider
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2006, 12:20:42 AM »
 :evil: i must be the only one who thinks this is wrong so i will get off my soap box now.
if more people stood up and spoke there minds they would have to listen and do some-thing. cuz they like it when we dont that way they can do what ever they want.

with out the people there is no government.

Offline rayjred

• Rider
  • Never Say Die
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2006, 03:48:58 PM »
J Smitty, though I have not been what I feel is wronged by law enforcement, because I always try to do what's right when it comes to my vehicles and homes, mostly because I am a minority borned in raised in the south and know how things can be or get down here, though I have been issued tickets for speeding and was in the wrong I try to obey the law. But, I agree with Busa Budda when he says that the law on side mount license plates is stupid and seems as if it just gives some cops reason to pull you over. Now, just like everywhere else I see lots of Harley's and other bikes, including sport bikes with side mount plates and only a few with lights on them and I'm sure many of them do not get pulled over and issued tickets but that does not make it right. Now, because I am a minority and I have to be more careful than the average Joe, I did my research on FL law concerning this matter and what I found was a law that does not state specifically that you can not have a side mount plate but dances around it that it would not be wise for a man like me to mount mine in that manor. But what ever happened to freedom of speech or freedom of expression. If it is readable from the side and has lights on it to be visable at night, I don't really see what the problem is. But I am thinking about doing the plate in front of the back wheel only if I can see it when sitting in my own vehicle from a distant and with lights bright enough to be seen at night.
RayJRed

Offline SPARKY1397R

• Universal Post Whore
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2006, 09:55:55 PM »
I SPARKY  YOU HAVE NOT MET UP WITH THE BLACK LADY STATE TROOPER YET IF YOU THINK THEY ARE EASY IN PC LOL JUST TO LET YOU KNOW I BEEN HERE A LOT LONGER THAN YOU

sounds like i don't wanna meet her.   :bah:

Offline rlbowers3

• Rider
  • DEALS GAP Apr '06
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2006, 10:28:01 PM »
Sounds like this is the thread for me.
 :wink:
 I am going to the court house to answer for 80 in a 55.  I was extreemly polite when stopped.  I was pulled over before the man even turned on the lights.  Speak when spoken too, paperwork available and correct, no BS excuses, proper respect and bearing towards a LEO in a potentialy dangerous situation.  I kept my hands in plain sight, no sudden or unexpected movement, "Yes Sir, I was speeding." :cry:
Now, I have never been to court before.  What do Ido? :?:
Plead guilty / not guilty?  Ask for a break?  I don't want my insurance to go up, and I don't need points on my license.  But when I walk in there I will be flying blind.  I don't even know what to expect.  :?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2006, 10:29:34 PM by rlbowers3 »
SFC Bowers
MiTT Advisor to Iraqi Army
MOSUL, IRAQ

Past bikes;
79 Vespa 185, 80 Vespa P200, 82 SECA 550,
85 GS1150ES, 73 CB750, 00 Busa(red),
00 Busa(blu)

Current bikes;
02 XR50, 02 XR100, 06 CRF100, 06 KLX110
Married 15+yrs, 7 kids (all ride