Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Spongy brakes  (Read 6440 times)

Spongy brakes
« on: October 29, 2002, 03:24:00 PM »
OK, I took my calipers off to paint them. Taped them up pushed the pistons all the way in, etc. Reinstalled them, bled them at the calipers and the master cylinders, but they are still squishy. I am running Kevlar lines up front and stock on the rear. DP HH+ pads in front and DP standard in the back. Anyone have any clues? I've tried bleeding them three times already and it's still squishy. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Offline FSTOUR

• Rider
Spongy brakes
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2002, 03:33:00 PM »
Can you pump the lever up?  Will it build any sort of pressure?  It may be you still have air in the system.  have you installed a clear hose on the bleeder and look for air bubbles when you crack open the bleeder.  
I know when I bleed my brakes and clutch it took probally a quart of brake fluid, a couple of thrown wrenches and finally I got a good lever.
You do not have any leaks around the pistons do you?  
Hope I was some help.

Offline rad5racer

• Rider
Spongy brakes
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2002, 04:12:00 PM »
some times you need to take the calipers off with lines attached turn upside down there is air captured in the caliper.

Offline Loren

• Rider
Spongy brakes
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2002, 04:26:00 PM »
Sometimes you get air all the way up by the lever and have to crack the fitting at the reservoir to bleed it.

Spongy brakes
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2002, 04:41:00 PM »
Thanks for the replies so far.
Pumping the lever helps very little.  
I have cracked the line at the master cylinder. That helped a little, but it's still a little spongy. I'll try removing the calipers and use a vacuum pump on them.

Offline goose

• Rider
Spongy brakes
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2002, 04:55:00 PM »
If u cracked the hose at the master clyinder and it got better, do it a coupple more times and you will get the air out....can be a pain in the ass.......