Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Anyone Ever have a Broken Valve SPring or Cams Shift Time?  (Read 2814 times)

Offline Vincent Hill

• Rider
Anyone Ever have a Broken Valve SPring or Cams Shift Time?
« on: October 22, 2006, 08:56:09 PM »
What does the engine do when you have broken a Valve Spring?  Does it miss slightly at higher Revs? Run Richer at Higher Revs? Run Worse on SPray?

WHen I had my Rag apart, I changed the Exhaust Valve SPrings to the Stronger ones from Stock that I was using on the Intake side. I looked at the Intake retainers, Shims and Buckets along with the Valve heads and saw no problems. I took the #1 Intakes out and everything looked fine and for SOme Stupid Reason (I had the Time) I did not check the SPring Pressure or take the other apart.

Now it is back together and running exaclty like it did after the explosion.

I took the SPark Plugs and put it in My ZRX and they ran fine.

I just re-checked the Valve adjustment and the tight Intake is .001 tighter than specs of 0.006 and the Tight Exhaust is 0.001 tighter than the SPecs 0.009. and the Lose ones are in specs of 0.010 exhaust and 0.008 .

SInce the Cams use a Press on Sprocket, one of my thoughts is that maybe the cams shifted slightly during the event. So I plan to check the timing (If Possible in the BIKE tomorrow and push against each Intake Bucket to see it I can feel any variation in spring pressure.

To me, the Bike seems to be slightly retarded and rich. While revving it in the back yard prior to changing the oil, the Pipes got hotter than Usual just like an engine running retarted and /or Rich!

It is always something and I cannot imagine how something electrical could have fouled up during a Mechanical event!  Is it possible that it was an electrical problem that caused the event to begin With? I plan to change the ECU, Bypass the PC3 and Schnitz Controller just to make sure!
Made History at Daytona and "Still" one fast Old Man!

Offline shiphteeey

• Rider
Re: Anyone Ever have a Broken Valve SPring or Cams Shift Time?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2006, 10:40:05 PM »
Hey VH.  My buddy just had a valve retainer go out on his gsxr 600 srad, track bike.  He thought it was cam chain tensioner since he had a manual one put in preemptively incidentally. 

Symptom:  Wouldn't rev past 11k.

A.
Fastest ZX-12R in the USA:
229.6 mph at Loring
201.957 mph 2-way average @ Bonneville
203 mph at Maxton naked
193.9 mph @ the 9/10
200.28 mph @ TX Mile

Offline Vincent Hill

• Rider
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006, 07:02:06 AM »
Thanks Ali, It was the fact that all of the Retainers, SHims ans Buckets were FIne that I did not go farther into it!.

Offline mountainmotor

• Post Whore
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2006, 08:38:56 AM »
Double check everything concerning the cam position sensor .

Offline YAG

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2006, 11:13:39 PM »
I had a cam sprocket slip on the cam... always weld them, never trust a press fit.
Intercooled MCXpress 58/12 twin entry power

Offline Vincent Hill

• Rider
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2006, 03:02:44 PM »
just in case someone did not know, the Problem was: When the engine back fired  it messed up the Fuel Injector. I did not have the Skill to make sure they were clean so I replaced them and the bike ran perfect!