Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: DIY salt racer Oz style  (Read 23481 times)

Offline hawkwind

• Rider
DIY salt racer Oz style
« on: November 27, 2006, 12:39:36 AM »
Back in 1999 this 50yo fossil, had a flash of shit to the brain ,I had just discovered the DLRA ran a bonneville style race on our own salt lake ,I attended for just one day back then and was hooked ,I had many years previously read about a bloke named Burt Munro (late 60's ) and so my quest for the worlds fastest something began , 99 was a good year because that was the release date of the now famous Hayabusa , and became the base of what I hoped would become ' worlds fastest suzuki' unfortunatly it happened so did every man and his dog ,and they all had bigger check books than me ,or sponsers or both ,history shows that the top speed bar is now at a very high level . Well Im just an average Joe ,electrican  by trade with only a very modest budget ,so right from the start if I wanted to race ,I would have to do everything myself where ever posible.
This is a short history of my attempt to be 'worlds fastest suzuki'and  my it takes forever shit box project 

The start

this was the origional busa  it was not up to 200 mph despite the hype at the time

Stage 2

I added a small nitrous system (80 shot) and some other changes to aero , this bike got me into the 200 mph club (DLRA) 2004, but the yanks had by this date pushed the outright speed well into the 250"s and I was just not in the game  :(

Stage 3

2005 's effort promised much ,delievered SFA ,4 stages of nitrous up to 300HP extra ,plagued by ignition gremlins , big nitrous backfires and radiator problems , put the busa to bed and for 06 finished off and old school project I had started 5 years earlier

the ice cream truck managed 160+ mph without the nitrous only 2 runs as the lake was flooded for most of this years speed week , John Noonan (speedking) begged me for a ride but I had to turn him down

well that the short history ,all the following posts will be of stage 4 busa ,all done in the privacy of my modest shed .
« Last Edit: December 02, 2006, 04:11:32 AM by hawkwind »
the more I learn the less I know

Offline hawkwind

• Rider
Re: backyard salt racer
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 11:05:45 PM »
Stage 4
Im starting with the frame mods first ,adding a big turbo so I need plenty of room up front ,want a long wheel base 78-80" for high speed stability ,also need to modify the sub frame so I can make it as low as possible ,it wii also need to carry a 5lb nitrous cylinder as well , nothing to do except rake the frame ,this is a backyard DIY so I am going to attempt this mod myself ,priced the job from a pro frame company  around 1K$ ,my final cost doing it myself about 80and loose change
First I decided how to go about raking the frame ,I then marked up where I was going to cut ,before cutting I decided it all needed to be kept correctly aligned and held that way while welding so I drilled and tapped some brackets on before the first cut ,some of the brackets on top where small door hinges so the whole headstock could be pivited to the rake degrees I wanted , i then cut across the top of the headstock and and then put the hinges on again

I then cut the rest of the headstock ,but now found that it has an internal web through the center ,with that cut through I put the bottom brackets on and measured it all up for squareness

I then decided I would add 10 degrees of rake this would be on top of the 5 degree raked tripple trees that will be added later for a total of 15 degrees , I set up the rake as seen below and adjusted the back brackets to suit

I then cut out some fill in peices for the sides and tacked them in place  (below finished welding)

I then made up from 4mm plate a top strengthing plate and a bottom plate shaped them and welded in

when it was all finished I checked for fit of forks and whether all was still true  all ok job complete  :D
Gary
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 12:18:54 AM by hawkwind »

dkariores

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2006, 03:53:53 AM »
wow :D

Offline Bonedust

• Mad Post Whore
  • boost or bust
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2006, 04:17:25 PM »
nice work!!! 15 deg is a sh!tload of rake!!!

The Poison Idea- TMH T61 Ultra kit (500+ hp), 3-deg frame rake, BST wheels, Speigler 8-pot calipers and masters, Mac 0-6 arm, full CF body work.

Offline 02SE

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2006, 11:20:35 PM »
I'm looking forward to hearing the rest of the story.  :)

Offline grecco

• Universal Post Whore
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2006, 09:43:26 AM »
yeah, me too!

Offline hawkwind

• Rider
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2006, 02:02:00 AM »
The frame is complete ,in addition to the 10 deg rake in the frame I fitted a set of one off billet raked trees , I hade made up by a local cnc company to my specification  ,these have a 5 deg rake ,there is now a lot of room for the turbo ,the pic below shows the forks fitted and a few of the other goodies being fitted up for measurements , I have located the battery to infront of the forks there will be 2 standard busa battries fitted along with a few other electrical items , the cylinder looking thing is a special air/water intercooler ,its capable of cooling 900cfm ,now you can see why I need so much room up front

cheers
Gary

Offline reaper0995

• Post Master
    • my turbo project
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2006, 09:36:24 PM »
wow man, good job  :thumb:  i dont think i have heard of anyone doig the at home raking on this kind of setup.  looks good and keep it up  :twisted:

Offline grecco

• Universal Post Whore
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2006, 10:53:29 PM »
this is sweet so far...

Offline hawkwind

• Rider
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2006, 03:56:39 AM »
I made up a 6" over swing arm underbraced (chrome moly) ,into the space created with the long arm I made up a one shot ice/water intercooler tank holds aprox 12 liters ,inside is a boat bilge pump (12v) that pumps ice water to the intercooler up front,I also converted an oil cooler radiator to act as a heat exchanger

I also altered the subframe to hold a fuel tank and the nitrous bottle,I made up some brackets and lowered it just above the tyre  ,I fabricated a fuel tank to hold 16 liters of methanol (yes she's an alky lol) it has 2 half inch outlets with fuel taps and 2 3/8 return lines,I also made some brackets to hold the 2 bosch 044 fuel pumps  ,and a 5 lb nitrous bottle lives at the back and fits under the body work , I placed an inner guard around the wheel ,due to it being so crowded at the back I could not  retain the suspension so I made it a solid rear end ,its now somewhere between 4/6" lower than stock , and I made a 1/4 " steel chain guard to LSR specs ,I also retained the stock wheels ,none better in my opinion for speed racing ,I also made some brackets that attach to the swing arm ,these allow me to mount securely lead ingots  up to around 200Kg (you can see a small one attached in one of the pics

« Last Edit: December 02, 2006, 05:38:39 AM by hawkwind »

Offline hawkwind

• Rider
Re: DIY salt racer Oz style
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2006, 05:19:35 AM »
The motor /gearbox has had changes made to it over a couple of years now ,I have just rebuilt it for the 3rd time now ,it still retains the stock bore and stroke ,except for a 2thou overbore when I was running nitrous only ,it will now be turbocharged ,nitrous injected and running methanol ,the following are the mods to date.Head as been ported and flowed with extra effort on getting the exhaust to flow substancially more than stock,motor work includes
1mm oversize S/S valves intake and exhaust
Ti retainers
heavy duty valve springs
bronze alloy guides
Adjustable aftermarket cams
2 thou overbore  and block 'o' ringed
8.5/1 forged pistons spacer plate
H beam rods
stock crank (lightened &balanced)
harmonic balancer removed
heavy duty studs top & bottom
modded clutch with heavy duty springs
Hi volume oil pump
cut down sump
windage tray
Vacuum pump
12% overdrive top gears / gears all undercut
20T front sprocket 

not many pics most were on my old hard drive

« Last Edit: December 02, 2006, 05:32:43 AM by hawkwind »

Offline grecco

• Universal Post Whore
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2006, 08:40:38 PM »
 :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Offline crazymofo

• Apprentice Post Whore
  • Where am I?
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2006, 02:43:50 AM »
holy McFARK!! nice work hawk!!

doing us aussies PROUD!!

all the best to your speed efforts :D

cheers.joe.

Offline dakinebusa

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2006, 07:17:45 AM »
Burt would be proud.
Good luck!

Offline hawkwind

• Rider
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2006, 03:15:54 AM »
Next on the list was to make the nitrous system , I wanted it to be as compact as possible ,,so it comes as one removable assembly ,its main purpose is to spool up large turbos quickly and if I need it to add to the top end , its made up of several brands of parts ,its a wet system fully self contained ,the fuel tank holds around 2.5 ltrs of fuel ,in this instance C16 ,a high pressure pump (using a turbo as well ) a 1:1 rising rate return to tank regulator ,jetting from 25to 125 HP ,10 lb bottle (lives at the rear end, 2 solenoids through distrubution blocks ,and direct injection into the intake tracts , electrically  an arm switch , and hobbs wsitch ,operation through the horn button (nothing fancy )

Gary

Offline DreamRyder

• Mad Post Whore
  • "Worlds Quickest Female on a Prostreet Bike"
    • DreamRyder's Website
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2006, 10:49:19 AM »
OMG! that is awesome talent you have....  :thumb: 

I loved seeing the Worlds' Fastest Indian...  I look forward to following your progress and seeing your end result  :beechug:

E.
ET stock motor 9.28, dryshot 8.63, RCC turbo 7.62
RCC Turbo
Bellman Oil
SYED Leather
R&R Trailers courtesy of RandPCarriages.com
Cycle-Tek
Tiger Racing
Schnitz Racing
Rev'd Up Motorsports
Boost by Smith
Canadian Mike
Mirror Look Customs
Arai

Offline JorNic Motorsports

• Restricted
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2006, 08:54:01 AM »
incredible gary. everytime I see this project it reminds me of what I would like to do... fabricate my own dream. do you think you will be ready for march?

Offline hawkwind

• Rider
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2006, 04:44:09 AM »
incredible gary. everytime I see this project it reminds me of what I would like to do... fabricate my own dream. do you think you will be ready for march?

I will if my ECU ever gets supplied as that is all im waiting on ,otherwise all systems are go

I loved seeing the Worlds' Fastest Indian...  I look forward to following your progress and seeing your end result  :beechug:

E.

thanks for the encouragement  :D

well as this is a DIY project and the first time I've attempted a turbo , I haunted ebay and picked up most of the parts I could not make myself ,my hope was to save as much as possible ,but now the project is all but complete it may have been cheaper if I just purchaed a ready made system ,but I would not have learnt very much or had some good chalenges

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/hawkwind/ebaypictures006.jpg

this is the turbo and waiste gate I went with a masterpower (brazilian) TO4  turbo 0.86Q trim turbine and a  t61 compressor ,I also have of the same make a T70 and a gt45 to try later

the headers are experimental twin outlet and made from mild steel ,if they work well I'll make a set out of stainless

the plenum is aluminium 3mm thick and has the secondary injectors mounted on top via a extruded fuel rail ,the primary injectors fit to a modified busa throttle body ,it will be using twin fuel pumps and twin malpassi regs 1.7/1rising rate

the injectors (ebay again)  primary are the black ones 750cc and the secondary the white big boys at 1600cc (remember its running methanol and I calculated the BSFC at 2.2)
the dump pipes are made as well
Gary

Offline gat0r

• Rider
  • Where am I?
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2006, 05:10:38 PM »
thats pretty cool

BLACK051K

« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2006, 03:52:54 PM »
Speechless.....What can i say?
An Extremely gifted Individual.... :thumb:
« Last Edit: December 28, 2006, 03:55:49 PM by BLACK051K »

Offline hawkwind

• Rider
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2007, 01:05:56 AM »
With most of the turbo parts purchased or made its time to assemble ,Ihad to make and install some studs when fitting the headers as the stock bolts would not fit anymore ,fitting the headers ,turbo and waste gate requires the patience of Job especially if you have large hands and fat fingers ,I also cut out a section of the turbine scroll and welded in the waste gate pipe,hopefully it will work ok

this pic shows the turbo ,headers  and waste gate installed as well as the oil in/out installed also added is the heat shield between the headers and the intercooler

one off air/water intercooler and radiator fitted

other side with bell mouth fitted

all the plumbing for the radiator added ,I made up the pipe work for the turbo all 2.5" andadded a bov

the othr side

Offline DreamRyder

• Mad Post Whore
  • "Worlds Quickest Female on a Prostreet Bike"
    • DreamRyder's Website
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2007, 04:41:02 PM »

E.

thanks for the encouragement  :D

well as this is a DIY project and the first time I've attempted a turbo , I haunted ebay and picked up most of the parts I could not make myself ,my hope was to save as much as possible ,but now the project is all but complete it may have been cheaper if I just purchaed a ready made system ,but I would not have learnt very much or had some good chalenges

and if you had done the purchase of a complete unit.... you wouldn't have the gratification of knowing YOU were the talent behind the work :wink: anyone can purchase and install a prefab unit.... never regret doing something you obviously love!

E.
ET stock motor 9.28, dryshot 8.63, RCC turbo 7.62
RCC Turbo
Bellman Oil
SYED Leather
R&R Trailers courtesy of RandPCarriages.com
Cycle-Tek
Tiger Racing
Schnitz Racing
Rev'd Up Motorsports
Boost by Smith
Canadian Mike
Mirror Look Customs
Arai

Offline Xhiler8r

• Post Whore
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2007, 05:34:50 AM »
Hawky I just wanna know what she weighs now Wet have you had it on scales and got any numbers
Cheers   Now Boosted

Offline hawkwind

• Rider
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2007, 06:51:08 PM »
Hawky I just wanna know what she weighs now Wet have you had it on scales and got any numbers

Xhiler8r No idea about the weight ,prolly with the lead attached on the high side of a fully loaded goldwing , no numbers ,no standalone ECU yet ,I have something comming next week which I hope I can get working ,if not I have a standby but it will not allow it to perform  anywhere near its full potential
Gary

Offline TYSON

• Rider
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2007, 09:22:14 PM »
Excellent work, a few of us may be heading over to the lake from Perth in 08

Offline hawkwind

• Rider
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2007, 10:23:06 PM »
I have recieved some encouragement to continue this build diary  :) so I will , the project is complete ,dynoed and a few problems came to light all these have been sorted except the problematic stand alone ECU ,hopefully this will be soon , the bike was meant to be used at or Aussie speed week last march ,but was flooded so the event was cancelled ,shit happens  :(
so where was I up to ? yer
finished off the turbo  added the plenum , the primary injectors ,drilled out the stock throttle bodies to accept 14mm injectors ,added some S/S throttle plates and a custom fuel rail , placed the secondary injectors into the plenum ,with custom fuel rail , made up a custom wiring harness for the bike and fitted off , added the twin malpassi  1.7:1 fuel regulators and added all the plumbing ,fuel lines vac/pressure lines Etc ,powered up the twin 044 pumpd and set the pressure to 43 psi , oh and fixed up a few leaks as well , fitted up the air /water intercooler ,filled with water and test run  ok

Offline Turbo Grant

• Rider
  • Aussie Rider
    • Bling Parts Australia
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2007, 10:12:47 PM »
awsome Gary..    how about a update on this fine peice of work.  :thumb:
you got a turbo... no excuses!