Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: FRONT WHEEL FORK STAND  (Read 5818 times)

-=chickenstriper=-

FRONT WHEEL FORK STAND
« on: October 04, 2003, 11:11:00 PM »
can you take the front wheel off with a stand that goes under the fork legs? one that goes inside the little hole under the fork legs (handy stand)

-=chickenstriper=-

FRONT WHEEL FORK STAND
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2003, 11:18:00 PM »
and how about mounting a tire on a wheel? am i going to have to take it to a shop, or could i get the tire onto the wheel myself without damaging anything? is it relly going to need to be balanced?

Offline Matt Pfeifer

• Rider
FRONT WHEEL FORK STAND
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2003, 11:26:00 PM »
i can't answer you 2nd question though i doubt it.

my front stand goes in the holes at the bottom of the forks.  yes you can easily take the front wheel off, you have to unbolt the front fender though, which is easy.

-=chickenstriper=-

FRONT WHEEL FORK STAND
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2003, 11:28:00 PM »
shops here charge 100 bucks to mount and balance two tires  

Offline Dwight-PA

• Mad Post Whore
FRONT WHEEL FORK STAND
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2003, 11:48:00 PM »

-=chickenstriper=-

FRONT WHEEL FORK STAND
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2003, 12:08:00 PM »
yep, rear stand first always    but can't i just put a towel under a flat piece of metal and pry the edge of the tire over the rim and go around with it... and do the reverse for mounting...

like a bicycle tire?

and about balancing, where to get the stick on weights?

Offline mach1mike

• Post Whore
FRONT WHEEL FORK STAND
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2003, 12:35:00 PM »
Auto parts stores have the stick on weights. Three tire irons are better than two, long ones better than short ones. You can cushion the rim from the iron, but still can make dents in the rim. I used to do all my tire changes  by hand until the tubless rims came out. A couple times and I vowed never again without a machine. I take it to a shop every time now instead of buying the equipment. It was so bad one time before I quit doing it that a buddy and I had to put a bare rim on a car, jack it up and let it down on the bike wheel to break the bead. Tubless tires seal so well in the bead and are so tight that it is very difficult to break and reseat the bead. Sometimes you have to put a strap around the tire after mounting it (around the circumfrence) and tighten it down then take the valve core all the way out and hit it with a instant shot of high pressure air to seat the bead. There was a post in the past month that had a link to a tire changing page that was very good, pages and pages long. I tried a search but could not find it. If I do, I will post it.
Mike

Offline mach1mike

• Post Whore
FRONT WHEEL FORK STAND
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2003, 01:08:00 PM »
I found it, I don't know how to transfer the link to here so I will email it to you. It was posted in July, topis How To......Change/repair tires

-=chickenstriper=-

FRONT WHEEL FORK STAND
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2003, 01:13:00 PM »
thanks      

i dont think the front handy stand will work for taking the front wheel off... when it goes into the hole it touches the axle...

i just found a good site too, might be the same one:  tire change

Offline mach1mike

• Post Whore
FRONT WHEEL FORK STAND
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2003, 01:29:00 PM »
The only way I can do it is for you to search member 437 (Gottabusa) and you will see his post on How To .....Change repair tire, and the link "Change your own tire".  You don't have  email capability on your log in. The Handy Stand will work just fine, I have both Handy stands and have taken the front sheel off several times. I put it on the rear, then line up the holes in the front, having the tits on the stand just a hair toward the rear of the holes so they will slip into the holes. Then I slowly lever it up, looking to be sure the tits go into the holes. The bike will pull forward on a smooth surface, make sure the rear stand does not catch the wheels on something, allowing the stand to flip off instead of pulling forward. If the surface is rough, the front stand pulls under the bike and the rear stays put. It takes some effort to lever the front up, but it is nice and solid once up.
Mike

Offline mach1mike

• Post Whore
FRONT WHEEL FORK STAND
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2003, 01:34:00 PM »
Yeah, that is the same tire changing link. Wish I was not such a klutz on the computer. Good luck!

Offline Dwight-PA

• Mad Post Whore
FRONT WHEEL FORK STAND
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2003, 02:18:00 PM »

Offline Gixxer1300r

• Mad Post Whore
FRONT WHEEL FORK STAND
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2003, 03:00:00 PM »
the safest stand I found for changing tires is sold at sears $119.00 It might not look as cool as those wheel stands but the chance of your pride and joy falling off it is a lot less

one good thing, It is rated for 1500lbs. a buddy uses one to pick up his sprint car, so it may have other uses too. Plus it folds up and stores in a very small area.

-=chickenstriper=-

FRONT WHEEL FORK STAND
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2003, 03:07:00 PM »
yeah, i know everybody recommends those lifts... and they are great.... if you don't have headers underneath your oil pan!  

Offline CHRIS1300

• Rider
FRONT WHEEL FORK STAND
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2003, 07:05:00 PM »
Dwight, about how much do you have wrapped up in the equipment you posted from Wikco if you don't mind me asking? I am interested in getting this for myself. Thanks!

Offline MoreBUSA

• Rider
FRONT WHEEL FORK STAND
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2003, 07:21:00 PM »
Those lifts that Sears sells. Doesn't the bottom of the header get in the way, and what about picking it up from the bottom of the oil pan? Doesn't seem like the pan would hold the weight.    

Someone please shade some light on these two questions

Offline Dwight-PA

• Mad Post Whore
FRONT WHEEL FORK STAND
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2003, 07:38:00 PM »

Offline Matt Pfeifer

• Rider
FRONT WHEEL FORK STAND
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2003, 01:17:00 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by -=chickenstriper=-:
i dont think the front handy stand will work for taking the front wheel off... when it goes into the hole it touches the axle...

it shouldn't

Offline Mileageking

• Mad Post Whore
FRONT WHEEL FORK STAND
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2003, 08:21:00 AM »
Ive been planning on making a angle iron beacket to slip inot the front of my engine hoist/ shop crane. Ive used a few things in a pinch. Two heavy duty car stands with a rod going thru the front axel gets the front end off the ground but front tire cant be removed while its up. I also use the shop grade rolling floor jack on the exhaust with the rear stand and a block of wood and thtas very stable...at a minimum you need the rear stand a floor jack and its very stable. I use a Lockhart phillips rear stand that has paddles allowing use on everything under the sun good for me as I work on a few other peoples bikes. Cost about $80 at the dealer
Super happy friends making happy fun time

Offline Red

• Post Master
    • http://www.revival.tv
FRONT WHEEL FORK STAND
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2003, 01:01:00 PM »
I just mounted a tire with the plastic irons . . .

If you want to balance it,
put it on the stand & spin it,
the heavy side will stop at the bottom,
tape weight to the top of the rim...

If you have it perfectly balanced,
it won't stop in the same spot.  
I did buy a bead breaker from JCWhitney,
you'll need something like that to bust it loose.
But mounting & balancing are the same as a bicycle.

Red,      

1999 Prostar West Super Gas Champion !
2000 NMRA / Prostar Pro E/T runner up.
2001, 2002, & 2003 NMRA Pro E/T Champion !
2004 #3, 2005, & 2006 NMRA Pro E/T runner up.
2007 Pro. St. Legal #6, NMRA Pro E/T Champion !
2008 MDRA Super Streetbike Champion !