Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Flywheel/Stator Rotor HELP Needed!!!  (Read 4066 times)

Offline Redliner04

• Rider
Flywheel/Stator Rotor HELP Needed!!!
« on: February 01, 2007, 08:47:14 PM »
<a href="http://HELP!!!" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://HELP!!!</a>

:idea:Oh guys, here's what i would consider a "tough one." ANY help would be greatly apprecaited!!!  :idea:

I'm rebuilding my '04, everythings looking good except for my Flywheel/Stator Rotor. I'm refering to the machined "basket" piece that is inside the Stator cover; not the stator but the rotor. My rotor is bent and so i need to replace it.

The Rotor that is ON my '04 has what appear to be "coggs" at the back; the side that mounts towards the block. I have not counted these machined "coggs" but there are more than a dozen of them. In talking with the dealership mechanic these coggs are what tells the pistons to fire; or they maintain the timing. Basically i wasnt impressed with his help.

Here's my question:
I picked up a Busa rotor on e-Bay; it's in GREAT shape, like PERFECT; i was very pleased.

BUT!! as with any good thing there seems to ALWAYS be a BUT!!

There are MORE  of these machined "coggs" on the '04 Rotor than there are on the one that i bought.

Just to compound thing more; the parts department at the dealership looked up an '04 rotor on their system and it looked IDENTICAL to the one that i had bought; there was NOT a bunch of "coggs"

Here's my question
1)  Will the different number of coggs change anything? Is it as important as it sounds?

2)  ANY other ideas as to finding our what the problem is?

3) If i mounted this rotor will it damage anything with not having the same ammountof machined "coggs"

As i said, i'd apprecaite ANY information you all might have.

Thanks A LOT! :thumb:
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting...holy sh*t...what a ride!

"Life is too short.... Play hard and enjoy it while you still can!"

Offline dutch

• Rider
Re: Flywheel/Stator Rotor HELP Needed!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007, 10:07:52 PM »
the rotor you bought from e bay is for an earlier busa i belive 99 thru 01 so if it dosent have the same number of bumps lol it will not work right

Offline busamagic

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 06:13:24 AM »
the rotor you bought from e bay is for an earlier busa i belive 99 thru 01 so if it dosent have the same number of bumps lol it will not work right

+1  you need the one with the same amount of teeth on the rotor,i believe 02-up is the same as yours,i have an 03 and it is the same as yours
Cruising on a Harley

Offline 396

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 01:03:20 AM »
those bumps are the pickup for the crank posisition sensor. you need to have the right one. You might want to look closer at the crank, seeing how that is what the rotor slides onto and you said your rotor was bent.

Offline dragzooks@indy

• Post Master
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2007, 10:15:47 AM »
yup...i got an engine once out of a wreck and the stator cover was busted and it smashed up the rotor
visually crank looked perfect

got lucky when spinning the engine/crank over by hand with new rotor i saw it was way out of round

turns out the tapered snout of the crank the rotor fits onto was bent

seems tough to bend when 1" in diameter and only bout 1.5" long or so

mic'd on v-blocks and it was 15 or 20 thou out  :shock: :twisted:

LOOK FOR THE KEY THAT FIXES THE ROTOR TO THE CRANK TO BE SHEARED OFF FROM STOPPING ABRUPTLY WHILE ENGINE RUNNING

Offline Redliner04

• Rider
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2007, 07:05:12 AM »
Thanks Guys, I Apprecaite the Help.

Now, if Anyone has an '04 Rotor Let me know.  :D

THanks Again!!!
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting...holy sh*t...what a ride!

"Life is too short.... Play hard and enjoy it while you still can!"