Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: how do i balance my wheels?????????  (Read 3478 times)

Offline unlimitedbusa

• Rider
  • Where am I?
how do i balance my wheels?????????
« on: February 15, 2007, 07:13:57 PM »
Whats the best way to balance my wheels and NEW tires at home? I have the tools to mount tires but not balance them. I read somewhere about some sort of "packet" that you put in the tire wheel assembly that will balance at speed. But I don't remember where I saw it, and i'm not sure it will work. Anybody tried this?
I ride everywhere, track days, sport touring, I mean like across the country sport touring. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for the help. If I get any?.?.?.

Offline jjmetheny

• Post Whore
Re: how do i balance my wheels?????????
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2007, 07:26:42 PM »
Don't put anything in your tires to balance them, horrible idea. A static balancer and stick on lead weights is what I have, cheap and works well. Check ebay for the balancer, usually $70 and up.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 07:28:17 PM by jjmetheny »
2000 blue/silver MCX intercooled full exhaust...sleeper

Offline unlimitedbusa

• Rider
  • Where am I?
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 03:57:03 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I thought the "in the wheel" idea was to good to be true. But it never hurts to ask. I appreciate the advice.

Offline Stainless1

• Rider
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2007, 07:13:27 AM »
If you have stands, put them back on the bike, without the chain or calipers mounted.  Spin wheel, mark the bottom where it stops if it does not back up.  Spin it again, if it goes to the same spot, that is the heavy side, put a 1/4 oz opposite and try it again.  If it stops in a different spot every time, it is balenced. 
If it backs up, start with 1/2 oz.  Sticky weights usually stick hard, so use a little scotch tape. be patient, take your time.  We had to use this method at Bonneville last year and the tire was good at 190, the 1/4 speed before he was blown off course by the wind.  This is the old fashion way of balancing before electronic spin balancers.  :thumb: :thumb:
Bonneville 200 MPH Club
245 MPH Turbo Busa Powered Lakester
208.959 MPH NA GSXR 1000

Offline mallito

• Rider
  • trying for good #'s
    • myspace
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2007, 02:52:48 PM »
wow :bah: sounds like a good idea>>>>> :bah:  :shock: :shock:
mallito

Offline HOLLYWOOD

• Post Master
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2007, 03:16:41 PM »
If you have stands, put them back on the bike, without the chain or calipers mounted.  Spin wheel, mark the bottom where it stops if it does not back up.  Spin it again, if it goes to the same spot, that is the heavy side, put a 1/4 oz opposite and try it again.  If it stops in a different spot every time, it is balenced. 
If it backs up, start with 1/2 oz.  Sticky weights usually stick hard, so use a little scotch tape. be patient, take your time.  We had to use this method at Bonneville last year and the tire was good at 190, the 1/4 speed before he was blown off course by the wind.  This is the old fashion way of balancing before electronic spin balancers.  :thumb: :thumb:
"Static Balancing" .............. Most of the shops do this method....