Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: I broke a bolt- too much torque  (Read 3769 times)

Offline mach1mike

• Post Whore
I broke a bolt- too much torque
« on: November 23, 2002, 04:57:00 PM »
When I bought the bike the salesman, who is a racer and knows a lot about bikes, told me to always be sure to tighten the four bolts that hold the passenger grab rail on until they squeek. I take mine off and on a lot, since I like the looks of the hump only but have to carry stuff and need the bar and bungee hooks,. I always tightened it until I got a squeek, never thinking about how much torque I was actually giving it. Yesterday one didn't squeek where it usually does, so I gave it a tiny tug more and felt something give just slightly. I thought I had stripped the aluminum subframe. I started backing it out carefully, fully expecting either the bolt to break off down inside, or the threads in the subframe to be stripped. It came right out and the bolt is broken 3/4 of the way up, just under the head. It is twisted, offset just a little, showing daylight between the threads with just about as much metal as the size of the head of a pin holding it together. I can bend it with two fingers. Amazing! Guess I will change all the bolts and look  up the torque specs and get a feel for what is right. I may tighten a new one until it squeeks and see how much I was overdoing it.
Mike

Offline Busa for hire

• Universal Post Whore
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2002, 06:59:00 PM »
Some guys don't even run the bolts when the grab rail is off. I think you should run them all the time but they only need to be slightly snugged down. I also have a steel subframe.
previously owned a 01 blk/gry Busa little of this little of that...oh yeah and a ghetto turbo 320horse/200ft.lb. 8.92@169
Bikeless....for now.

Offline oilheadron

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2002, 07:04:00 PM »
Be sure to remove the spacers too if you aren't using the bolts. They can vibrate completely out (I lost one    ).

THEMOTORHEAD

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2002, 07:45:00 PM »
YA DONT HAVE TO RUN EM WITH THE GRAB RAIL OFF
ATLEAS I HAVENT FOR A FEW YEARS

THEMOTORHEAD

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2002, 07:46:00 PM »
HAHA YA THE SPACERS WILL DISAPEAR