Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: TURBO OR WHAT  (Read 34546 times)

Offline BELLBUSA

• Post Whore
Re: TURBO OR WHAT
« Reply #25 on: February 29, 2008, 08:18:04 AM »
Just got mine back last Thurs. with the RCC Stage 1(also trans.,Mac arm,etc.)and for a streetable bike am very happy with it.Made 243 hp and coming from 162 hp is still taking a little used to.May upgrade it a little this winter but will decide on that over the summer,don't see a lot of places to use over 250 hp on the street(other than the hp wars/bragging rights :lol:). :thumb:
How many lbs of boost?

Offline sam1300

• Post Whore
« Reply #26 on: February 29, 2008, 08:55:53 AM »
Just got mine back last Thurs. with the RCC Stage 1(also trans.,Mac arm,etc.)and for a streetable bike am very happy with it.Made 243 hp and coming from 162 hp is still taking a little used to.May upgrade it a little this winter but will decide on that over the summer,don't see a lot of places to use over 250 hp on the street(other than the hp wars/bragging rights :lol:). :thumb:
How many lbs of boost?

7.5 psi boost.  turbo spins up at about 5500 rpm and then its warp time

Offline DITTO

• Post Whore
« Reply #27 on: February 29, 2008, 09:19:40 AM »
whats a good clutch setup to get and $  :bah:

4" over 03 with a 50 shot. 9.01 @ 153 MPH

Sponsors:
Bellman Oil Co
Competition race fuels

Offline ZX-ALAN

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #28 on: February 29, 2008, 09:20:20 AM »
How many lbs of boost?

Stock compression or Spacer?  243hp is pretty good for 7lbs.. :thumb:
2000 turbo-busa, RCC Stg 2 intercooled, 319hp@14lbs(pump gas), 435hp@28lbs
Texas Mile March 09, 225.906 mph, 8.82@168.43 w/1.63 60'-14lbs

2013 BMW S1000rr, Brocks CT exh, 185hp

Offline Dan.J

• Post Master
« Reply #29 on: February 29, 2008, 09:22:43 AM »
How many lbs of boost?

Stock compression or Spacer?  243hp is pretty good for 7lbs.. :thumb:
yah im curious as well :thumb: trying to decide what the hell im doing with mine.

06 Busa......8 second street bike.(Sold but missed)

Offline Bonedust

• Mad Post Whore
  • boost or bust
« Reply #30 on: February 29, 2008, 09:23:49 AM »
if you want a reliable street and strip turbo bike, prepare to spend $10k.

The Poison Idea- TMH T61 Ultra kit (500+ hp), 3-deg frame rake, BST wheels, Speigler 8-pot calipers and masters, Mac 0-6 arm, full CF body work.

Offline piratediverjefff

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #31 on: February 29, 2008, 10:51:06 AM »
How many lbs of boost?

Stock compression or Spacer?  243hp is pretty good for 7lbs.. :thumb:

Hey Alan,

Stock comp. and no spacer.I've heard they're preset at around 7.5 psi and Chris(blk02ws6 here on the board who did all the work) thought maybe 8.My dyno sheet says 242.89 hp and 133.74 torque on 91 octane,and the delivery is really smooth(i swear you can practically lay a straightedge on the graph and get a totally straight line from3200 rpm up to 10,000 where it levels off). I'm totally pleased with it and the way he set everything up,with the 6" over arm/lowered/revalved-resprung shock,43T(and i'm 220 lbs.) there are no wheelies,no apparent tire spin(from a roll on anyway)and no wasted hp...the thing just flat out goes(this is my 1st turbo and i'm not qualified to judge anything/sure i may want a little more down the road like everyone says...but i'm sure the way he set everything up on the bike aids in the way it shits and gets for a little Stage1 bike).I'll get some pictures posted tomorrow,looks really good.

Jeff
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day,light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline ZX-ALAN

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #32 on: February 29, 2008, 11:02:28 AM »
jeff it probably came with either a 5.80lbs spring or a 7.25lb spring.... If you are seeing 7lbs, I suppose it could be either one.  If you are running a true 7-8lbs of boost, make sure your mapping is dead on and I would dump some race gas in it when you start beating on it hard, like at the strip or top end runs....7-8lbs is DEFINETLY the border line for pump gas on stock compression..  Also make sure you are not getting any boost creep at high rpms.... if all is well, you will have a blast with that thing....
2000 turbo-busa, RCC Stg 2 intercooled, 319hp@14lbs(pump gas), 435hp@28lbs
Texas Mile March 09, 225.906 mph, 8.82@168.43 w/1.63 60'-14lbs

2013 BMW S1000rr, Brocks CT exh, 185hp

Offline piratediverjefff

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #33 on: February 29, 2008, 11:23:02 AM »
jeff it probably came with either a 5.80lbs spring or a 7.25lb spring.... If you are seeing 7lbs, I suppose it could be either one.  If you are running a true 7-8lbs of boost, make sure your mapping is dead on and I would dump some race gas in it when you start beating on it hard, like at the strip or top end runs....7-8lbs is DEFINETLY the border line for pump gas on stock compression..  Also make sure you are not getting any boost creep at high rpms.... if all is well, you will have a blast with that thing....

That's what i've heard and will not beat it up too much.Probably will never see a strip and have only run it up to the indicated 186 once and then let right off of it,don't want to melt anything(even find myself short shifting a little the few times i've nailed it,makes max. torque at 7800 rpms and almost max hp at about 10,200 so don't really push it).I'm surprised at how quickly this little bastard revs and hits 200 hp at about 7800 rpms also.

Got your's ready to go yet?I've been following your progress in the pics you post but haven't looked in on you in a week or so...nice stuff! :thumb:
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day,light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline 1BadAssBusa

• Mad Post Whore
    • Ruthless Performance Motorsports
« Reply #34 on: February 29, 2008, 03:47:27 PM »
forgot to mention i hear a few of the turbo guys say they work on it more than ride it , i want a street reliable one,

This is VERY TRUE for a cheap kit or an improperly tuned kit.  Call Richard at RCC Turbos, he can set you up with a nice kit.  But if you are going turbo, stay away from Stage 1 kits, if you do it, do it right and use secondary injection.  Also get it tuned by someone who knows how too tune it.

I have had 3 Turbo kits from RCC, all with secondary injection and NEVER HAD A SINGLE DOWN DAY.  only time I work on my bikes is when I am adding something too them.  I have never had my bike apart because of a problem with one of Richards kits.

Do it right the first time RCC!!!!

If money is not an object, nothing beats a Custom kit from Seb. at NLR.  He is building my next Kit!!!!!  :thumb:
Joey

"Got Boost?!?!?!?!"

Offline BrianK

• Post Master
« Reply #35 on: February 29, 2008, 04:01:33 PM »
forgot to mention i hear a few of the turbo guys say they work on it more than ride it , i want a street reliable one,

This is VERY TRUE for a cheap kit or an improperly tuned kit.  Call Richard at RCC Turbos, he can set you up with a nice kit.  But if you are going turbo, stay away from Stage 1 kits, if you do it, do it right and use secondary injection.  Also get it tuned by someone who knows how too tune it.

I have had 3 Turbo kits from RCC, all with secondary injection and NEVER HAD A SINGLE DOWN DAY.  only time I work on my bikes is when I am adding something too them.  I have never had my bike apart because of a problem with one of Richards kits.

Do it right the first time RCC!!!!

If money is not an object, nothing beats a Custom kit from Seb. at NLR.  He is building my next Kit!!!!!  :thumb:

there is no reason to stay away from a rcc stage 1 kit.....

07 RCC STAGE1  STAGE 2

Offline blk02ws6

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #36 on: February 29, 2008, 04:26:09 PM »
i dont see the issue with stage 1 kits either. the're designed to be an entry level kit with the oppertunity for upgrade in the future. if you set it up right, and dont keep screwing with it, it will last for ever.  Jeff's bike has a 7.25 spring in it, and its making just under 8 on a gauge, there is no boost creep, and his AFR is setup at 11.4 to 11.6

unless he goes out and holds it wide open for 5 minutes straight, his bike will last a very long time.

as far as a transmission, i use Carolina cycle for stock back cuts. 1 day turn around and excellent customer service.

for a clutch, if your good with a hand clutch, stick with that, if not you can go to a 2 stage lockup and still be streetable. a big role that is commonly overlooked in drag racing is chassis setup. if one part is fighting the proper workings of another, you'll never reach your full potential, and always be chasing your tale.

RCC X100  :thumb:

Offline piratediverjefff

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #37 on: February 29, 2008, 06:51:40 PM »
i dont see the issue with stage 1 kits either. the're designed to be an entry level kit with the oppertunity for upgrade in the future. if you set it up right, and dont keep screwing with it, it will last for ever.  Jeff's bike has a 7.25 spring in it, and its making just under 8 on a gauge, there is no boost creep, and his AFR is setup at 11.4 to 11.6

unless he goes out and holds it wide open for 5 minutes straight, his bike will last a very long time.

as far as a transmission, i use Carolina cycle for stock back cuts. 1 day turn around and excellent customer service.

for a clutch, if your good with a hand clutch, stick with that, if not you can go to a 2 stage lockup and still be streetable. a big role that is commonly overlooked in drag racing is chassis setup. if one part is fighting the proper workings of another, you'll never reach your full potential, and always be chasing your tale.

RCC X100  :thumb:

...what he said :lol:

Since at least 90% of the time i'll probably be living at 2500 to 4500 rpms(speedo healer says 4000 at 70 mph) i don't see where i'm likely to run into any issues,and when i romp on it i'll be under boost no more than maybe 10 or 12 seconds max. as i run through the gears(something like the Maxton Mile would be a different issue and i'm sure i'd be intercooled/secondaries/spacer,etc. but nothing like that in the foreseeable future,just using it to putt around with the occasional roll on now and then).

Jeff :thumb:

Offline 1BadAssBusa

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #38 on: February 29, 2008, 07:21:09 PM »
Stage 1 kits can run, but are simply not as tuneable as a Stage II.  But he was saying that he heard that Turbo guys work on their bikes more than ride them.  You guys can say whatever you want about Stage I kits, but 90% of the turbos I read about that have problems on this board are all Stage I kits.  If you get them too work, yeah you got boost.  But if riding everyday is important too you, better too goto a Stage II.

OK, how about this.  Stay away from ANY KIT that uses an FMU......  As I am not dissing RCC Stage Is, just ANY kit that uses an FMU!!!

Tell me most of the stories of blown turbo motors on here don't revolve around a FMU and I will drop it.

I am on a bunch of boards and hear the same stories from so many sources.  

A blown motor is like cancer and a FMU are like cigarettes.  If you keep smoking cigarettes, you will eventually get lung cancer.  Yes there are a very tiny group of people who smoke and never get cancer and even fewer who never smoked and did get cancer.  But people who bring up those people are idiots, as they have no validity on point.  THERE IS ALWAYS EXCEPTIONS TO THE RULE!!!

Same thing with an FMU, use one long enough and you will have a problem. Yes, I KNOW, there are going to be a few who say they NEVER had a problem.  I know people who have smoked for 60 years and still smoke at 79 years old and are fine.  But when someone makes that point about smoking, you know they are a retard and a few exceptional cases, don't change the reality of smoking cigarettes.

Nothing against Richards Stage I  having a problem, for a Stage I kit, his is best you can get.  But it still has a FMU.

Just answer this one question.  Of the numerous Production Turbo Automobiles (in the last 15 years), sold to the general public, HOW MANY USED A FMU?!?!?!?!?!

And there is your answer........  If NO large automotive manufacturer would employ the use of one, it's a reliability issue, PERIOD!!!!!!!!

Get a Stage 1 kit and then when you have the $$$ get the secondary injection.  That's a good idea, if money is an issue.  But spend 5 now or 10 later.....

Next people will start saying Water injection instead of Intercooling is fine........LOL

But one important point I was trying to make and everytime I make it, I always have people jump all over it, regardless of the validity of my statements.  This post was about having a Turbo BUSA that is ridden more than worked on.  Simply secondary injection or stand alone is the way too go, PERIOD, there is no discussion.  If it was reliable, it would be used by factory automobiles.  IT'S NOT!!!  Why?!?!?!?  Because they pose a very serious reliability issue, PERIOD.

Can they be made to work, YES!!!!  Are they on a large scale reliable, NO!!!!

And this post was all about a reliable bike, not having a Turbo on a budget.

I have no problem with doing things on a budget.  I may differ with what parts can be bought on price, but I have no problem with saving a buck here and there.  But when the main issue is reliability, you shouldn't confuse the issue with the fact you can get something to work.

I believe he said he wanted to drag race and have a reliable turbo bike????  Throw an AMS 1000 on a Stage I kit and tell me how it works as it's changing boost levels.......LOL  Let's see if a FMU and PC III USB Mapping can handle changing the boost by more than 15 psi.............LOL

Since this post is about a reliable DRAG BIKE, which is a RELIABLE TURBO BIKE....  Why were my points knocked down???

Can you drag a Stage I Turbo???  YES  But when drag racing, a REAL RACER knows tunability is KEY.  And reliability is even more important.  These are simply not two of a Fm's strong points.  But it is what he is interested in......

So next time listen to what someone says and not stick up for, just because it's what you choose...  As your really doing it because of how my statements made you feel personally and not the validity of what I said.....
Joey

"Got Boost?!?!?!?!"

Offline 1BadAssBusa

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #39 on: February 29, 2008, 07:24:22 PM »
dont have that much cashola

Didn't read this, money was not in your first post.  So I figured it wasn't a main issue.

Doesn't change what I said as being true, just changes with the fact if you can't afford it, you can't afford it.  But at this point I would say just go with a wet NOS set-up.  Not a turbo, but it will get you where you want to go for the least amount of money...
Joey

"Got Boost?!?!?!?!"

Offline 1BadAssBusa

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #40 on: February 29, 2008, 07:26:56 PM »
woukd you recommend a used one how do you tell if there worn out,

Where where you when I was selling my kit with EVERYTHING you needed 4 months ago???   LOL   Funny how things are like that...  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Joey

"Got Boost?!?!?!?!"

Offline 1BadAssBusa

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #41 on: February 29, 2008, 07:28:29 PM »
if you want a reliable street and strip turbo bike, prepare to spend $10k.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Joey

"Got Boost?!?!?!?!"

Offline lghtspeed

• Rider
« Reply #42 on: February 29, 2008, 08:08:52 PM »
For ten thousand does this include a new stronger crank, rods, and will the factory gears hold all of this.  After reading this post whew, turbos are for sure not in  my future. 

Offline 1BadAssBusa

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #43 on: February 29, 2008, 08:23:44 PM »
For ten thousand does this include a new stronger crank, rods, and will the factory gears hold all of this.  After reading this post whew, turbos are for sure not in  my future. 

He just wants a reliable turbo, that he can drag race (tuneable).  You can do this all on 350HP on Pump gas.  No need for crank, rods, after market gears.  You can put a good turbo system on for about 6k. NO FMU!!!!!
Joey

"Got Boost?!?!?!?!"

Offline piratediverjefff

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #44 on: February 29, 2008, 08:59:12 PM »

He just wants a reliable turbo, that he can drag race (tuneable).  You can do this all on 350HP on Pump gas.  No need for crank, rods, after market gears.  You can put a good turbo system on for about 6k. NO FMU!!!!!

Seems like most turbo issues i've read about on here were caused by malfunctioning FMU's and if i were going to beat the shit out of one every weekend at the strip i'd most definitely go at least the Stage II route right from the start.Then again,is it possible to subject the entire drive train to all that abuse every weekend and then expect it to be a reliable daily driver Mon. thru Fri. without replacing stuff you're tearing up on the weekends?Just by going on what i've read on here about FMU's i totally agree with you and will probably do some upgrades to mine this winter just to be on the safe side though i'll probably never race it.

Offline 1BadAssBusa

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #45 on: February 29, 2008, 09:05:54 PM »

Seems like most turbo issues i've read about on here were caused by malfunctioning FMU's and if i were going to beat the shit out of one every weekend at the strip i'd most definitely go at least the Stage II route right from the start.Then again,is it possible to subject the entire drive train to all that abuse every weekend and then expect it to be a reliable daily driver Mon. thru Fri. without replacing stuff you're tearing up on the weekends?Just by going on what i've read on here about FMU's i totally agree with you and will probably do some upgrades to mine this winter just to be on the safe side though i'll probably never race it.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!  That's all I am saying............  :thumb:  But I get paid by the word, so to say.  So I tend to be a little long winded...LOL   :lol: :lol: :lol:
Joey

"Got Boost?!?!?!?!"

Offline piratediverjefff

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #46 on: February 29, 2008, 09:15:09 PM »

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!  That's all I am saying............  :thumb:  But I get paid by the word, so to say.  So I tend to be a little long winded...LOL   :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: I figure if i melt mine down this summer i'll go the route Alan's going with his motor,i'm really likin' all that good shit he's doin' to his in the pics he's posting! :thumb:

Offline Jailer

• Post Whore
« Reply #47 on: February 29, 2008, 10:23:06 PM »
One thing 1BadassBusa left out that is another very valid point is drivability. I've owned 2 bikes with 2 different stage 1 kits (hahn and ghetto) and the drivability is nowhere near as good as it is with properly tuned secondary setup (my current bike). You can get an FMU very close, but it will always be a compromise when it comes to drivability compared to secondaries. It is nearly impossible to tune an FMU for all the different fuel pressures vs loads that it will see under normal driving conditions.

If you can live with that fact then so be it. Go and get a stage 1 kit. They work well once tuned properly as long as you leave them alone and leave the boost alone. If you plan on upping the boost at some point or you like to tinker, then wait until you can afford a secondary system.

Offline BrianK

• Post Master
« Reply #48 on: February 29, 2008, 11:17:48 PM »
Stage 1 kits can run, but are simply not as tuneable as a Stage II.  But he was saying that he heard that Turbo guys work on their bikes more than ride them.  You guys can say whatever you want about Stage I kits, but 90% of the turbos I read about that have problems on this board are all Stage I kits.  If you get them too work, yeah you got boost.  But if riding everyday is important too you, better too goto a Stage II.

OK, how about this.  Stay away from ANY KIT that uses an FMU......  As I am not dissing RCC Stage Is, just ANY kit that uses an FMU!!!

Tell me most of the stories of blown turbo motors on here don't revolve around a FMU and I will drop it.

I am on a bunch of boards and hear the same stories from so many sources.  

A blown motor is like cancer and a FMU are like cigarettes.  If you keep smoking cigarettes, you will eventually get lung cancer.  Yes there are a very tiny group of people who smoke and never get cancer and even fewer who never smoked and did get cancer.  But people who bring up those people are idiots, as they have no validity on point.  THERE IS ALWAYS EXCEPTIONS TO THE RULE!!!

Same thing with an FMU, use one long enough and you will have a problem. Yes, I KNOW, there are going to be a few who say they NEVER had a problem.  I know people who have smoked for 60 years and still smoke at 79 years old and are fine.  But when someone makes that point about smoking, you know they are a retard and a few exceptional cases, don't change the reality of smoking cigarettes.

Nothing against Richards Stage I  having a problem, for a Stage I kit, his is best you can get.  But it still has a FMU.

Just answer this one question.  Of the numerous Production Turbo Automobiles (in the last 15 years), sold to the general public, HOW MANY USED A FMU?!?!?!?!?!

And there is your answer........  If NO large automotive manufacturer would employ the use of one, it's a reliability issue, PERIOD!!!!!!!!

Get a Stage 1 kit and then when you have the $$$ get the secondary injection.  That's a good idea, if money is an issue.  But spend 5 now or 10 later.....

Next people will start saying Water injection instead of Intercooling is fine........LOL

But one important point I was trying to make and everytime I make it, I always have people jump all over it, regardless of the validity of my statements.  This post was about having a Turbo BUSA that is ridden more than worked on.  Simply secondary injection or stand alone is the way too go, PERIOD, there is no discussion.  If it was reliable, it would be used by factory automobiles.  IT'S NOT!!!  Why?!?!?!?  Because they pose a very serious reliability issue, PERIOD.

Can they be made to work, YES!!!!  Are they on a large scale reliable, NO!!!!

And this post was all about a reliable bike, not having a Turbo on a budget.

I have no problem with doing things on a budget.  I may differ with what parts can be bought on price, but I have no problem with saving a buck here and there.  But when the main issue is reliability, you shouldn't confuse the issue with the fact you can get something to work.

I believe he said he wanted to drag race and have a reliable turbo bike????  Throw an AMS 1000 on a Stage I kit and tell me how it works as it's changing boost levels.......LOL  Let's see if a FMU and PC III USB Mapping can handle changing the boost by more than 15 psi.............LOL

Since this post is about a reliable DRAG BIKE, which is a RELIABLE TURBO BIKE....  Why were my points knocked down???

Can you drag a Stage I Turbo???  YES  But when drag racing, a REAL RACER knows tunability is KEY.  And reliability is even more important.  These are simply not two of a Fm's strong points.  But it is what he is interested in......

So next time listen to what someone says and not stick up for, just because it's what you choose...  As your really doing it because of how my statements made you feel personally and not the validity of what I said.....

call richard and ask him how many of his kits had a fmu failure in the last couple of years.

you have valid points about a secondary system being more tunable no doubt about it.

how did my statement make you feel? seems to have upset you.

which is the better option stage 2 of course. i am only disagreeing with your blanket statement of stay away from all stage 1 kits. people who don't have a turbo or much knowledge of a turbo set-up will read that and be scared off from turbo systems all together. shops like rcc put alot of time, effort and tech support into the stage 1 kits. why possibly cost them a sale? they are reliable and a good starting point for someone looking for boost. like you said they can be upgraded down the road. if you want to bring a stage 1 to the strip on the weekends why not? there are alot of things that can go wrong when you drag race every weekend. thats the risk you take when you drag. the fmu isn't more likely to fail cause you do the 1/4. whats your logic behind that? comparing the factory automotive turbo system to ours makes no sense. they are factory ours are mods. if the busa came from the factory with a turbo the ecu would be mapped accordingly no need to upgrade the fuel system.

its all good though i didn't mean to piss you off or imply your not knowledgable

07 RCC STAGE1  STAGE 2

Offline E-RACER

• Universal Post Whore
« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2008, 12:37:02 AM »
Bigger Nitrous jets and a bigger bottle!!!! :thumb:

There are a few turbos around here,there never on the road!!..always broken or being upgraded or whatever!!..Although they sound like fun..seems never ending with those!!

then theres the turbo lag,clutch setup ect..a tricky game to be in on a small budget!!

8)