Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: My New toy! 71 classic muscle 460+hp  (Read 1572 times)

Offline •Khandy•Rhed•Bhusa•

• Post Whore
My New toy! 71 classic muscle 460+hp
« on: September 21, 2008, 11:23:17 AM »
1971 Chevelle Malibu SS

This car has been in the family for a while. it is baby's mamma 'mammas' car that once was 'her' brothers. If all that makes any since ahahah. The car started out as a chevelle malibu and he restored it with original parts to an ss. He passed away sometime and the car was kept. This car once was offered 20,000$ on the spot, here in Houston. But it has sentimental value. I hear that he took the car to the track and it whooped up on people. I am new to chevy, I recently sold my 86 5.0 mustang to my 17yr old brother.

Now here is the list of mods that i am told obviously she does not know the full mod list and this is very very little of it lol:
It has an eddlebrock dual quad carburetor setup, 460+ horses, see thru valve covers, hydraulic lifters, MSD ignition system, posi-traction, and dual exhausts.

I am thinking the engine is bored to 383/396, good pistons, cam ??

Oh I am buying this car for 10k is this a good price? I can't wait to get this bad boy

here is pictures of the car

71 chevelle ss

Offline DWB

• Post Whore
Re: My New toy! 71 classic muscle 460+hp
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 11:50:47 AM »
Looks like a solid car, although some of the pics look old.  I'm not a Chevy guy, but a friend bought a very similar Chevelle and I'd say 10k is a good price.  He had more in his by the time it was in as good of shape as yours.  I don't know about the desireability of a 71 model compared to some of the older ones so that may have a slight impact on value. 

No offense, but if I had a penny for every "400+ hp" car out there I'd be retired.  A quick trip to the strip will give you an idea what kind of hp it's making.

Offline gnd111

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
  • Fried Chicken and Gasoline...
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 12:31:23 PM »
It isn;t a 396 but may be a 383 small block but one thing is for certain - WAY to much carb going on.

Buy if you like but look at some slips as i bet that thing is maybe a low 12 car at best...

Offline Jonesy

• Rider
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 01:08:39 PM »
I get leary when I go look at cars for me or friends and they start talking about all the mods that have been done.  Advertised 383 cars over half the time I've ran into are 355's with cast pistons, poor body work etc.

Pic's show a lot, but hide more things.  Take a magnet with you to look at it.  Check at the bottom of the back glass as water liked to pool up there and rust 'em out, over the rear wheels, and behnd at the bottom of the quarter.

Looks to be an okay car from the photos, but that's just from photos.  I'd ask for recipts showing the engine work done, if there aren't any you'd almost have to assume stock unless you can see aluminium heads etc...

Good luck with it, keep us posted.
'99 'Busa - Of course it's stock, never mind that stretch.  :D

Offline genarr3

• Post Master
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 02:18:36 PM »
"This car once was offered 20,000$ on the spot, here in Houston." - I had a friend that would do this all the time when he saw a nice car. Guy didn't have a dime to his name. Not commenting on your situation, just sharing an experience.
Orient Express Top Street Bike 2011 Season Champ Englishtown NJ

Offline NOMRLZ

• Legacy Rider
  • Post Master
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 03:28:54 PM »
No offense, but if I had a penny for every "400+ hp" car out there I'd be retired.  A quick trip to the strip will give you an idea what kind of hp it's making.

AMEN!  everybody is making 400hp with there reringed 350 with a cam.  if this car don't have atleast a decent set of aftermarket heads (edelbrock, trickflow, etc) much less AFR, Brodix, Dart, Etc.  it would be lucky to make much over 300hp.  had a guy making 420hp in a chevelle wanna race at the track a couple years ago.  he was laying down some killer 13.60's   :?