Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Dave Owen just went down. RIP my friend, you will be missed.  (Read 219038 times)

Offline Vincent Hill

• Rider
Re: Dave Owen just went down. RIP my friend, you will be missed.
« Reply #200 on: October 22, 2008, 03:37:54 PM »
No one has heard from me for a while but the statement that Bad News Travels FAST "IS" True!

I was in Johannesburg South Africa at the Airport getting ready to return to the US and saw Brock in the Airport. I KNEW Something was not right when I saw him this time. The last time I saw him was at "TARLTON" (the Drag Strip) where he had made a few passes and was about as happy as I have ever seen him! All he said to me was Dave "O" Is Dead! I gave him my best stare Down and said "Not the Dave Owen I know that spend HOURS and Hours to pains takenly get my Data Logger set up and who I has just that day spoken to Bear Racing about flying him over the SOuth Africa to tune their Bikes??  unfurtunately the same one!

I never allowed Dave to use his money at "Captain Larry" (A good Seafood Place near Maxton) because after the time and energy he had used to get me set up, I could NEVER Ever Repay him! There is one difference between Dave "O" and all of the other Good Guys! The statement is that when you are Popular you are bound to be hated by Someone! I do not know of one (1) person that could hate Dave Owen! I was so upset that with 18 hours of flying time I could not get through a 2 hour Movie and never did see the End.

For those that did not meet him, I feel the Most sorry for! For those of us that did know him we were BLESSED to have had the opportunity of knowing him! As far as his fellow racers were concerned, NOTHING was too good for us and I suspect that because of this we caused some personal problems for him. I hope that anyone that reads this board can now understand that we all had a small part of him and he was too unselfish to save enough for those that may have needed more! All I can say to the Lord is thank you for the time we did have him!

On Drag Bike . com the contributions have now totaled over $25,000. What ever you can do, make sure you do it now because he gave us all he had when he was alive and it is now our job and pleasure to handle things for Dave since he is gone! I just could not look over here any earlier and I know everyone understands this!   
Made History at Daytona and "Still" one fast Old Man!

Offline rustman

• Mad Post Whore
  • Garage Racer
« Reply #201 on: October 22, 2008, 05:05:51 PM »
There is one difference between Dave "O" and all of the other Good Guys! The statement is that when you are Popular you are bound to be hated by Someone! I do not know of one (1) person that could hate Dave Owen!

I was thinking the same thing just the other day.  I've never heard a single word about Dave that wasn't praise.  You nailed it on that one. 
Yeah, it made 500 hp at 32 psi.
233 mph Texas Mile
  ----- Powered by Cheese -----

Offline Vincent Hill

• Rider
« Reply #202 on: October 23, 2008, 09:38:47 AM »
There is one difference between Dave "O" and all of the other Good Guys! The statement is that when you are Popular you are bound to be hated by Someone! I do not know of one (1) person that could hate Dave Owen!

I was thinking the same thing just the other day.  I've never heard a single word about Dave that wasn't praise.  You nailed it on that one. 

If you also noticed I mentioned that he just "May" have been to un-selfish with his time because of his love of Motorcycles and others. Sometimes this is not understood by the Family and can cause "Problems"! I am a Lot Older than Dave and had to learn a new word Late in Life to keep peace and the Word was "NO"! Dave did not have Any Use for that word and I personally never heard him use it specially at times when I would have (On my own self). If I get to Heaven and look around and do not see him, I "KNOW" where I went!

Offline DaveOfriend

• Rider
« Reply #203 on: October 23, 2008, 10:16:10 AM »
 :thumb:  Me too.

Kat
REST IN PEACE DAVE O
I WILL MISS YOU TERRIBLY!

Offline DahMurf

• Post Master
  • 2006 Hayabusa
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #204 on: October 23, 2008, 12:50:16 PM »
Wait! He used to tell me no!?!  :bah:

:lol:

Debbie

Offline Vincent Hill

• Rider
« Reply #205 on: October 23, 2008, 05:07:05 PM »
Wait! He used to tell me no!?!  :bah:

:lol:

Debbie

No to ??What?? :):) (We are speaking Motorcycle Related!! :D

I went to a church that was across the street from another church where my Girl Friend at the time went. (16 / 17 years old at the time and of course knew everything "Even More than now") I would see that at least several times a month they would have a Funeral. So one day I said to her, My CHurch is Better than your church! We almost Never have Funerals in our church and your church is having them all of the time! She said to me, "Maybe it is because OUR People are ready to go and yours need more second Chances"!! True story and maybe it is true that the "Good" Die Young and us Older Sinners need more second chances! After all, don't most of our parents pray that the Lord taks us when he can save us? I strongly feel that this is what happened here! he could have been in Bed and the results would have been the same! The Lord does not make Mistakes even though we surely would like to question the "Timing"!

Offline DahMurf

• Post Master
  • 2006 Hayabusa
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #206 on: October 23, 2008, 08:38:00 PM »
Vincent, Ironically, yes, we are talking motorcycles here! lol

It's funny you wrote that! My mother-in-law had a very similar analogy and analysis on the entire situation. I think she was able to asses it more quickly & clearly being removed from the situation. After Todd & I had time to think about it we realized that Dave had made great strides to get his life on track and make amends with many people that he was close to. We were happy for him that he found this peace in his life and that he was back North with the boys. We could then see that as in your words, he didn't need a second chance. He figured it out & got it right. I had this conversation with Dave's Mother at the funeral. I think it helped her to be a little more at peace with it all in the same way it did for us. We are sad that he's gone and we miss him dearly but our lives are so much richer for having known him. I know it sounds cliche but there's so many great lessons to be learned from the way he treated everyone that we could all be better people by remembering this and emulating it. The best way to honor him is to carry on in his ways.

It's great to hear from you Vincent. Hopefully some of this will help others find peace as well.

Debbie

Offline Vincent Hill

• Rider
« Reply #207 on: October 24, 2008, 02:39:48 PM »
I am glad you guys got to go to the Funeral! Specially to let his Mom know how much what she brought into the world was appreciated THIS Much! Again you are 100% Correct about how to live your life so that if the worse happens you have no regrets! The only thing I want on my Stone is "He was a Man of his word"! Dave was a man of his word and what ever he said he would do, he did! He did not know me from Adam but treated me like a life long friend with the Patience of Jobe.

I will not make it to Maxton this year but my heart is there! have a great weekend your guys!

Offline TURBO KING

• Fast Rider
  • Post Master
« Reply #208 on: October 24, 2008, 03:58:38 PM »
Hey Vince, nice post.

You may not remember me, but I was pitted next to you at Maxton when I melted my motor, and DaveO was helping me out.  You lent me a magnetic pick up and some other tools and were a real gentleman.  My Dad enjoyed your comapany as well. 

The funeral was nice, but a real tough weekend emotionally for everyone.

Be safe at Maxton this weekend, everyone!

Walt
RCC Super Ultra Kit
Harry's Case/Head Mods
Built, tuned, ridden and owned by me
635 honest rwhp, capable of more
244 mph at Maxton
Top Speed Overall Maxton 2007
Winner 2007 Super Streetbike Magazine Top Speed Shootout
Thanks Richard, DaveO, Rick

Offline DaveOfriend

• Rider
« Reply #209 on: October 25, 2008, 07:18:06 PM »
Hey Walt,

How was your trip back?  How is your shoulder doing?  Haven't heard from you in a while so I just wanted to touch base and give a Northern Hello!!!!

Kat
REST IN PEACE DAVE O
I WILL MISS YOU TERRIBLY!

Offline TURBO KING

• Fast Rider
  • Post Master
« Reply #210 on: October 25, 2008, 09:19:18 PM »
Hey Kat, you punk,

The trip back was great in that it was uneventful.

My shoulder is getting slowly better.  Therapy every day, and no more pain meds are needed.  Slow but sure progress, thanks for asking.

I am looking forward to hearing good results from everyone racing this weekend.  Keeping bus ywith all the kids activities the past few weeks has kept me hopping.

I will probably order some non-face shirts from you soon.  Good to hear from you!

Walt
RCC Super Ultra Kit
Harry's Case/Head Mods
Built, tuned, ridden and owned by me
635 honest rwhp, capable of more
244 mph at Maxton
Top Speed Overall Maxton 2007
Winner 2007 Super Streetbike Magazine Top Speed Shootout
Thanks Richard, DaveO, Rick

Offline rustman

• Mad Post Whore
  • Garage Racer
« Reply #211 on: October 27, 2008, 12:18:08 AM »
Just an FYI-  I saw quite a few of these shirts at the mile this weekend.  I was wearing mine.  Nine second Jen was selling a batch of them that Brock provided.  I bought another.  Now we need to pray for Charlie.  This has been a hard year.
Yeah, it made 500 hp at 32 psi.
233 mph Texas Mile