Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: How much motorcycling experience did you have before buying the Busa?  (Read 191053 times)

Offline kaw_killa

• Rider
  • my 05 and 08 busa
i had a 92 Katana i rode for about a year. Then i graduated from the can of tuna, to a 99 GSXR 750. had that for about 2 years, and then bought the 05 busa. 

SPEED KILLS, RIDE A KAWASAKI

Offline mabbott

• New User!
I started riding dirt bikes when I was six, my first street bike was a 50cc Honda!  I have had all types of bikes from cruisers to tourers.  I bought the Busa because I love the Gen II looks!  The bike is crazy fast and a wheelie monster!  I like the fact that I can ride it for a long time and I am not in pain!  But, I think that if I didn't have throttle control, the Busa would kill me!

Offline Bikeguy

• Rider
Rode since 21.  Am now 44.  Got a stock Busa last spring and a turbo Busa this past December.

Was riding a 1984 Honda Sabre 1100 for 11 years before buying an 05 Busa.  All I could think was "Wow, technology has come a long way."
"You entered my house in third gear."- quote from a friend to me, many years ago.

Offline Not7fifteen

• Rider
At 16 I bought a 98 CR250 to learn the basics on...
at 18 I bought my first bike - Yamaha R6
At 20 I upgraded to a GSXR 750 and got into stunting at 20-21
Got pretty good, picked up a 900RR
Sold that Picked up another GSXR750 at 22
Sold it and bought an F4i
Then a 636
Then got out of stuntriding and built a Mutant Buell chopper
Then got the sportbike bug but since most of my friends ride harleys now I bought a TL1000R
At 26 a couple weeks ago I bought my Busa!

So approx 10 years of straight motorcycle riding, and even still, the first time I cracked it open and ran it through the top of 3rd I had an adrenaline rush and shakey legs haha.

Offline blackzook

• Rider
8 years

Offline busabilly

• Rider
I had a Katana 600 for about a year and a half. Then, I bought a TL1000R and had it for about a year before it was totalled out. Upon recouperating from the accident, I bought a 2005 Hayabusa that I have had for a little over 2 years now.

Offline craigster

• Rider
    • Hell Fire Performance
29 years including off road. - 25 years of street experience.

Offline Rocketgeezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
At 16 I bought a 98 CR250 to learn the basics on...
at 18 I bought my first bike - Yamaha R6
At 20 I upgraded to a GSXR 750 and got into stunting at 20-21
Got pretty good, picked up a 900RR
Sold that Picked up another GSXR750 at 22
Sold it and bought an F4i
Then a 636
Then got out of stuntriding and built a Mutant Buell chopper
Then got the sportbike bug but since most of my friends ride harleys now I bought a TL1000R
At 26 a couple weeks ago I bought my Busa!

So approx 10 years of straight motorcycle riding, and even still, the first time I cracked it open and ran it through the top of 3rd I had an adrenaline rush and shakey legs haha.
Yeah they will do that, ain't it cool :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
The older you get do you notice you start chickening out way before the bike does

Offline FloydV

• Post Whore
I had about 25 years on a variety of bikes. This bike has a steep learning curve, so I would suggest to anyone with a new busa to take it slow and easy learning. If you have even a small spill, you are talking big $ in plastic.
The mystical trend of our time, which shows itself particularly in the rampant growth of the so-called Theosophy and Spiritualism, is for me no more than a symptom of weakness and confusion.

Albert Einstein, 1921

Offline jettscott

• Rider
Started riding dirt bikes when I was four.  I'm 32 now.  I've almost always had something to ride, plus friends bikes, plus friends of friends and the occasional "Hey can you ride this and tell me _______ ?.  Right now, I've got the 08 Busa, 73 CB 350 twin, 77 KZ 650, 76 CB 550 K and still have my motocross bike.  Everything I've ever owned or ridden has been nothing like the one before.  I don't really ride my old bikes much, but the 08 is probably the most fun I've had in a while.  I work offshore, so when I'm home and the weather is at least reasonable, I don't get in or on much of anything else.

The only thing that really bothers me is this... I've been riding for 28 years, 18 of that on the street, I wave at every bike I see.  Old "real" bikers always acknowledge me.  Sport bikes, they always acknowledge me.  People in cars chase me down to wave or say "nice bike".  BUT, these jackasses who probably aren't even mechanically inclined enough to change their own oil... you know, the guys that buy a bike and some leather and are all of a sudden "HARDCORE" bikers... they seem to think that they're better than me.

It's laughable at best, but at bike nights or something, they act like their shit doesn't stink because they bought a name. 

Anyone else have this problem?  I'm always in it for the ride... no matter which bike I'm on, sooner or later, it's just about the ride.

Offline Rocketgeezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
Started riding dirt bikes when I was four.  I'm 32 now.  I've almost always had something to ride, plus friends bikes, plus friends of friends and the occasional "Hey can you ride this and tell me _______ ?.  Right now, I've got the 08 Busa, 73 CB 350 twin, 77 KZ 650, 76 CB 550 K and still have my motocross bike.  Everything I've ever owned or ridden has been nothing like the one before.  I don't really ride my old bikes much, but the 08 is probably the most fun I've had in a while.  I work offshore, so when I'm home and the weather is at least reasonable, I don't get in or on much of anything else.

The only thing that really bothers me is this... I've been riding for 28 years, 18 of that on the street, I wave at every bike I see.  Old "real" bikers always acknowledge me.  Sport bikes, they always acknowledge me.  People in cars chase me down to wave or say "nice bike".  BUT, these jackasses who probably aren't even mechanically inclined enough to change their own oil... you know, the guys that buy a bike and some leather and are all of a sudden "HARDCORE" bikers... they seem to think that they're better than me.

It's laughable at best, but at bike nights or something, they act like their shit doesn't stink because they bought a name. 

Anyone else have this problem?  I'm always in it for the ride... no matter which bike I'm on, sooner or later, it's just about the ride.
Same problem every day :( the only fun I get out of it is when one of them have a problem even a minor one and they stand there scratching there ass, calling someone to help :hys:
The older you get do you notice you start chickening out way before the bike does

Offline BusaJonezy

• Rider
  • Batman's Ride
I've been riding dirtbikes for a lil while now. got my first street bike about 2 yrs ago 05 gsxr600. Had it for a year then sold it and bought my buddy's 03 1k then came across a great deal on my 02 busa (4 g's). traded the 1k for an 06 busa. The guy had a prob gettin the title though so I got my 03 back, and i've been happy ever since. Roughly 1 yr before my busa with 2 yrs exp total, but i'll tell u what I found my true talent at the track and i'll put up a fight. :lol:
02 BUSA            (10.16 @ 140 mph)
03 GSXR 1000  (9.81 @ 143 mph)

Offline habanero

• Apprentice Post Whore
  • You're my wife now...
Once upon a time, 12 years ago, I hired a 125 Kawasaki KMX in Greece for a week and loved it. Came home, did test and bought a brand new Fireblade. Since then it's all been V-twins: Ducati 916, Suzuki TL1000S, Aprilia RSV-R and a Ducati 996SPS that I bought in December 2008. And now the Busa. And I lived happily ever after. The End.
2005 Haybusa Red/Black and 2000 Ducati 996 SPS Red/White butt..

Offline TT32VGT

• Rider
Re: How much motorcycling experience did you have before buying the Busa?
« Reply #88 on: August 05, 2009, 11:16:08 AM »
I had roughly 6months on an r6 and 8 years on the dirt.

Offline 09GraySilverBusa

• Rider
« Reply #89 on: August 05, 2009, 02:05:29 PM »
Been riding almost 30 years. Rode GSX-R 1000 & V-Rod most recently before buying the Busa
Brock's CT Exhaust, BMC Race Air Filter, ECU Editor, Custom Seat, Marchesini Rims w/Michelin Power Pures
TEXAS MILE (all stock motor)-March 2010, 195.4 MPH Pump Gas | Oct 2010, 197.2 | March 2011 197.3 | Oct 2011 196.4 | March 2012 197.8 | Oct 2012 206.1
LORING (stock motor) - July 2012 1-mile 205.48 & 1.5-mile 212.27

Offline 2slow2go

• Post Master
« Reply #90 on: August 09, 2009, 06:26:34 PM »
all of 35 years, after that 750 Honda i bought in 1975 its all been fours. Owning fast motorcycles keeps my guard up and helps me make smart decisions when I'm riding.I owned a few twins when i didn't have any money.If i wanted a bar taxi i would buy another pickup truck!

Offline car2slo

• Rider
« Reply #91 on: August 11, 2009, 12:10:54 AM »
7 years total riding experience, 1-2 years a piece on a GSXR6, R6, CB-1 and finally GSXR1K before stepping UP to the Busa.
2002 Hayabusa-T

Offline NEW2DAGAME

• Rider
« Reply #92 on: August 19, 2009, 09:04:07 PM »
1 yr and that was with my 1st wreck.. I slowed after that.

Offline Busatroop

• Rider
  • Military Muscle
    • Carolina Rides
« Reply #93 on: August 20, 2009, 02:43:34 AM »
3 yrs prior F4i 600/954RR then Busa
Shawn
2006 Busa Ghetto STG 1/Carrozzeria V6 Wheels Custom Paint
2003 MY Z06 D1SC
Hauler: 2007 Titan LE CC

Offline Racer_X

• Rider
« Reply #94 on: August 24, 2009, 04:16:35 PM »
Been riding for 17 yrs.  Bought a busa Feb. 09.  It is currently in the garage next to my  '06 CBR1000RR.  Busa is bike #6.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits.

Offline old schooled

• Apprentice Post Whore
« Reply #95 on: August 26, 2009, 11:25:35 AM »
Been riding mini bikes and dirt bikes since i was a kidd.Got my mc license and 83'suzuki 1100 in 85' and got into drag racing in 86',crashed it on the big end in a cash race in 87',in 88' i aquired a 79' suzuki 1000 and turned it into a low 9 sec street bike and rode it for 'bout..8 yrs(ended up in Michael Phillips hands),and in 01' i could'nt wait another season without a busa and up  jumped the devil with a 02'hayabusa-still got-100% stock.All that said..i had a little bike experience b4 i got a busa.My opinion is to respect the bike,but,it's what goes on around u.. thats the variable u can't control..that's key..pay attention,that experience is priceless.

Offline Blaine

• Rider
« Reply #96 on: September 01, 2009, 10:56:24 PM »
I've been riding since I was really young. but I didn't get to buy a street bike until I went to college. Got a Honda 500-4, it was great, I toured most of the east coast with it I lived in Chattanooga then and drove down to Miami and the Keys, then up to Maine and then up to Michigan and up to see my family in Salem, Virginia all the time. Then I got a Honda 750-4 and then a KZ900, then a few years later a KZ1000. after I sold the KZ1000, it wasn't' until 2002 that I bought a Suzuki Volusia 800, but I found I didn't care for a cruiser and bought a 2003 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird - Now that is a great bike, I wish Honda would come up with a new model or would come up with something to match it. On 08/22/09 I bought a 2009 Silver GSX1300R Hayabusa and am loving it. So here I am now.
Riding a 09 Silver these days. My wife now has an 09 White Busa so we're now a Busa family. The kids think it's great and they love telling their friends, who can't believe old people ride sport bikes.

Offline Grumpy 69

• Rider
« Reply #97 on: September 05, 2009, 04:12:47 PM »
makes me feel old when i figure it up....... 40 + years street riding and ocasional off road.  :moped:....been down a couple times , nothing serious. :stupid:..over the years i've owned a lot of different bikes, still to many  to list em all.... I have 11 at this time... 76kz 1103 turbo ...75 z1 1428 turbo.... 85 gs 1150e... 89 vulcan...83 gs1100es...97 1200s bandit...75 z1 960 pro street turbo ....79 kz1000 MKII turbo...2k ninja...83 gs1100e....2k mcxpress turbo busa ....I guess I'm an old biker after all ! :brnt:
not enough bullets to get em all.......but I can try......

Offline newbusaguy

• Rider
  • Another day at work!!!
« Reply #98 on: September 13, 2009, 01:00:01 AM »
Well I started out on a Ducatti and after 2 oil changes and $1000's later, I switched to Yamaha R1s for 3 yrs. After a total of 3&1/2 years I got talked into a 99 Busa and now I have an 02.
Shoot straight, never hesitate!
2002 Grey and Silver Busa

Offline JBUSA07

• Apprentice Post Whore
  • NIGHT TIME BLING
« Reply #99 on: September 18, 2009, 01:46:52 PM »
the busa was my first bike,they didn"t want to sell it to me but when i whipped out 8g"s n said i will be back in 2weeks with the rest they said ok