Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: How much motorcycling experience did you have before buying the Busa?  (Read 190014 times)

Offline Calamari68

• Apprentice Post Whore
2 Days! :o)  Read on for the history.

In 1988 rode a honda dirtbike for a day then in 1989 I rode a friend's gsxr 750 for a day(after telling him I had ridden dirtbikes *not entirely a lie*)

Fast forward to 2000 -- I was looking to get a cruiser... a "hardly", when a friend suggested I look at Jap Cruisers.  That is when I saw her!!  A 2000 Blue/Silver beauty!  I threw my leg over it and knew I would have her.

I told my friend and he laughed his ass off... "yeah whatever... you want a 1300 sportbike for your first?  Sure thing, squid!"

I squared my finances away and 6 mos later I was busa hunting... but apparently the bike was popular (who knew) and more importantly, there was a massive fire in the New Orleans wharehouse.  This caused a shortage.

I was really bummed.  I could only find one bike in Marietta GA, and they wanted $12,000 because they knew it was the last in the SE.

So I expanded my search and called a dealer in Anderson, IN.  I asked if he had any and he told me he had 6 blue and 6 crimson!!!!! Holy crap!  This was in August and someone in the Chicago Wharehouse had found a bunch of busas and was begging dealers to take them.  He sold me one for 9K OTD.  And the friend that laughed at me... he bought one too.

We picked them up on a Saturday at 4 pm... it had rained for 3 hours and then cleared up right as we got to the dealership.  I had not ridden since 1989.  I was just starting out... on wet roads... on a busa.

My buddy hopped on his and took off... I stalled in the parking lot.  Then I got going.  We rode to Bloomington to spend the night with a friend.  Then 600 miles back to Birmingham AL.

We varied the ride, from Interstate to backroads.  When we got home, my face hurt more than my ass!  (I was grinning ear to ear the whole trip)  The next week I took MSF.  My instructor was shocked I had just started riding because I rode really well.  We went for a ride during lunch.  He rode his R1 and took a couple of us on backroads.  I was hooked on twisties.

I rode that busa for 2 years(30K miles)... I was leaned over in a tight turn running up blood mtn. and drug the left can (HMF Oval - so I was way way over.)  Broke tail loose and spun into ditch.  RIP Busa.

So I bought my buddy's busa with the ins. money.  Long live the 2K busa!!! :o)  I have her today (17K miles)  and a 2005 GSXR1K
Peace,
Calamari68

If life throws you a curve, put a knee down and ride it!!

Offline judgecutioner

• New User!
Had about 23 years when I baught my busa new in 05. Not to mention it was one of the most thrilling days of my life!!! :tu:
Im gonna ride or die trying!!!

Offline j winkelman

• Rider
  • FAT 4 LIFE
none

Offline Ghost-Geezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Older But Still Sexy
I began riding in 1968 on a new BSA Hornet 650..........then went to a  1970 Triumph Bonneyville, then a 1973 Harley Superglide, then a 1974 Norton 850,  then a 1979 Harley Low Rider, then a  custom built (in my basement) stroked Harley which eventually got titled as a '95, then a 1997 Kawasaki GPZ 1100, then a 1998 Kawasakii ZX9R, then my first Busa.   A 2001 model.   Now I have a 2009 Gen II.    I can say, without equivocation, that the new Busa is the finest piece of machinery I have ever had the honor to throw a leg over.   :tu:
"The thrill of Boost cannot be duplicated on earth."

"One drink is too many and a thousand is not enuf."

"Step UP or Step Aside"

"Four wheels moves the body,
Two wheels moves the soul."

Offline trunkbuster

• Rider
  • Who doesn't love a wet pussy... Cat?
    • LinkedIn
I began riding in 1968 on a new BSA Hornet 650..........then went to a  1970 Triumph Bonneyville, then a 1973 Harley Superglide, then a 1974 Norton 850,  then a 1979 Harley Low Rider, then a  custom built (in my basement) stroked Harley which eventually got titled as a '95, then a 1997 Kawasaki GPZ 1100, then a 1998 Kawasakii ZX9R, then my first Busa.   A 2001 model.   Now I have a 2009 Gen II.    I can say, without equivocation, that the new Busa is the finest piece of machinery I have ever had the honor to throw a leg over.   :tu:
Wow! Do you still have all those other bikes?
2003 Katana 7/12: Daily Rider
2006 Busa: "Thing 3", 1430+cc weekend bike
Suzuki GSXR 750 (multiple years): Track bike
Do, Try, or Die!

Offline Ghost-Geezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Older But Still Sexy
No, unfortunately, they have all gone away................just the new Busa now and an 07 SV650 for my son.   

"Step UP or Step Aside"

Offline Cookie

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • I'VE UPPED MY STANDARDS ,,, SO UP YOURS!
Honestly, out of all of those, I bet you wish you had that Norton still. :yes:
-Chris

גַּבְרִיאֵל guide me to the light ישוע המשיח

Offline Ghost-Geezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Older But Still Sexy

You read me like a book, pal.  In 1978, I actually rode that motorcycle from Washington, D.C. to San Francisco.   I put a new tire on it before we left..........(my friend David went with me on his shovel/pan).   My tire was bald when we hit the West Coast.  It took us 6 days.  His Harley used a quart of oil a day.............the Norton used 3/4 of a quart the entire trip.  That Norton was a fine bike for its' time.  I ran Wolfs Head straight 50 weight.   He ran straight 70 weight in the Harley.  Nobody even thought about multi-weight stuff for bikes back then.........at least no-one in our circle.  :thumb:

"Step UP or Step Aside"

Offline Cookie

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore

You read me like a book, pal.  In 1978, I actually rode that motorcycle from Washington, D.C. to San Francisco.   I put a new tire on it before we left..........(my friend David went with me on his shovel/pan).   My tire was bald when we hit the West Coast.  It took us 6 days.  His Harley used a quart of oil a day.............the Norton used 3/4 of a quart the entire trip.  That Norton was a fine bike for its' time.  I ran Wolfs Head straight 50 weight.   He ran straight 70 weight in the Harley.  Nobody even thought about multi-weight stuff for bikes back then.........at least no-one in our circle.  :thumb:

No one does this anymore! Great story, SuperDave!   :tu:
-Chris

Offline Ghost-Geezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Older But Still Sexy
I would love to be able to ride across country again, only this time with my son................he will be 21 in July.

The spirit is willing, but this body sez it would be a massive challenge to undertake such a trip.

Dylan, (my son), is 6'2" and weighs about 200.  He is in extremely good physical shape...........he rides "The Dragon" on a regular basis and still carries a 2.8 GPA at UTC in Chattanooga.  He is scheduled to graduate next year...............a cross-country ride for the two of us would be the zenith of what he and I could do together.   Some day, Lord willing, some day.   :bike:

"Step UP or Step Aside"

Offline BigJda330lbRacer

• Rider
  • 330lb Heavy Hitter
Been around bikes my whole life. My pops has a building full of bikes now. A BSA,  2 Triumphs, a few Harleys...1976 Sportster, A newer Sportster, a chopper and a Roadking. Busa was my 1st Streetbike.. motor was blown by 5,000 miles :hys:  but I had been riding Pops bikes since highschool.
If I can do it at 330lbs whats your excuse, man up and ride that dam thing.
3rd Coast Speed 2010 Heavy Hitter #1 Qualifier and the biggest in the field.
TEAM APE SPONSORED

Offline BigJda330lbRacer

• Rider
  • 330lb Heavy Hitter

My Pops told me a story about an old biker that came to a field meet years ago. He had a Norton 750 that was done up.. high comp, cams etc... young fellas started laughing so he ran all the sportbikes one at a time for $100 each... he went down undefeated. It was heavy as Hell so it stayed down... that oldman was riding the dog shit out that thing.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 12:02:40 PM by BigJda330lbRacer »
TEAM APE SPONSORED

Offline Ghost-Geezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Older But Still Sexy
Stock they were rated at 60 or 61 hp and would turn a 12 second quarter.   Modified - maybe 85 RWHP?  I dunno.  What I do know is that when properly tuned up, my 850 would do and indicated 115-118 on the speedo.  It was a nice bike.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 12:34:16 PM by DaveH1948 »

"Step UP or Step Aside"

Offline Cookie

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
I wonder how much he went home with that day for being laughed at!  :mrgreen:
-Chris

Offline BigJda330lbRacer

• Rider
  • 330lb Heavy Hitter
It was ZX9's,CBR's and 750's he was running... I'm pretty sure it was a Norton, I don't think it was a BSA. I'll call pops right quick and ask.

This was before Busa's took over.
TEAM APE SPONSORED

Offline Ghost-Geezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Older But Still Sexy
 Prolly 5 or 6 hundred.  

"Step UP or Step Aside"

Offline BigJda330lbRacer

• Rider
  • 330lb Heavy Hitter
Prolly 5 or 6 hundred. 

I would think about that....  the old fella was hooking and leaving. They all were spinning and couldnt catch him. And the bet was 1/8 mile only
TEAM APE SPONSORED

Offline Ghost-Geezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Older But Still Sexy
He prolly had it geared low also.  I would. And I would start off in second gear.   :tu:

Norton's had no fiber clutch plates...............all metal.  Interesting design.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 04:35:17 PM by DaveH1948 »

"Step UP or Step Aside"

Offline Cookie

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
Horse jockey.  :lol:
-Chris

Offline BigJda330lbRacer

• Rider
  • 330lb Heavy Hitter
He prolly had it geared low also.  I would. And I would start off in second gear.   :tu:

Norton's had no fiber clutch plates...............all metal.  Interesting design.

Got hold of Pops.... he said it was a BSA... AND IT WAS ONE BAD MUTHA
TEAM APE SPONSORED

Offline Ghost-Geezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Older But Still Sexy

Norton's had no fiber clutch plates...............all metal.  Interesting design.

Got hold of Pops.... he said it was a BSA... AND IT WAS ONE BAD MUTHA

It must have had a ton of work done to it................I mean a ton!!   :bike:

"Step UP or Step Aside"

Offline BigJda330lbRacer

• Rider
  • 330lb Heavy Hitter
Yep :hys: guess some people let that mouth over load that azz :hys: just because he was old didn't mean he was an old fool :bike:
TEAM APE SPONSORED

Offline MslPilot

• Rider
i started on an way old VFR750. had an R6....got bored. got an R1 and a GSXR 1000 for a while. sold those... just bought my busa yesterday. I've only laid down the R6...but it was light damage and all my fault at my own inexperience. That was back in 03....nothing since then. Be safe everyone!!
Nitrous is like a hot chick with STD'S...You know you wanna hit it but your just not sure of the consequences.

Do not go where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Offline trunkbuster

• Rider
  • Who doesn't love a wet pussy... Cat?
    • LinkedIn
i started on an way old VFR750. had an R6....got bored. got an R1 and a GSXR 1000 for a while. sold those... just bought my busa yesterday. I've only laid down the R6...but it was light damage and all my fault at my own inexperience. That was back in 03....nothing since then. Be safe everyone!!
Welcome aboard :thumb:
2003 Katana 7/12: Daily Rider
2006 Busa: "Thing 3", 1430+cc weekend bike
Suzuki GSXR 750 (multiple years): Track bike
Do, Try, or Die!

Offline MslPilot

• Rider

Welcome aboard :thumb:
[/quote]

Thanks!!
Nitrous is like a hot chick with STD'S...You know you wanna hit it but your just not sure of the consequences.

Do not go where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.