Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: help with cam degreeing  (Read 8258 times)

Offline blt1

• OFF TOPIC
  • Rider
help with cam degreeing
« on: March 06, 2011, 09:40:33 AM »
I have installed a ported head and cams in my 07 gen1 and would like help degreeing the cams or letting me know of someone in Fort Worth, Texas that may be of assitance. I do not have a degree wheel however I am ordering one today but would really like to set these cams before it gets here. Goal of installing engine before next weekend. Thanks ahead of time for any help.
Just trying to do whats right.
Wanna go fast.

Offline slatroni

• Post Whore
Re: help with cam degreeing
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 10:53:30 AM »
1397cc brocks 031 cams, APE valve springs, ported head, Muzzys 4-1 full system, PC3USB,4 short stacks, small air box mod, 40 shot of dry N2o. 3-7" extentions zzz chain. I only want to do 200 once........................

Offline blt1

• OFF TOPIC
  • Rider
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 12:14:09 PM »
I appreciate that link i'm sure it will help when the degree wheel gets here.
Wanna go fast.

Offline dodobird

• Rider
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 10:44:54 AM »
you can copy and print a degree wheel online,,free..you will need a dial indicator to find TDC and .040 lift and a magic marker. DDB
MY MAMA TOLD ME I WAS SLOW!!!!

Offline blt1

• OFF TOPIC
  • Rider
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 03:18:16 PM »
I now have a degree wheel, what is the magic marker for?
Wanna go fast.

Offline knecum

• Mad Post Whore
  • The Recipe!
    • www.knecumpower.com
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 05:00:25 PM »
put a indicator on the bucket and set the int at .090 and  .080 on ex at tdc overlap   if you don't have a degree wheel

Offline Shamrock

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
    • Shamrock Racing

Offline blt1

• OFF TOPIC
  • Rider
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 10:03:12 AM »
Had to get a new indicator also so I am now in limbo again but have been receiving great information. I can not wait to get this bike up and running the weather here has been great for riding. Thanks everyone.
Wanna go fast.

Offline Shamrock

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
    • Shamrock Racing
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, 09:50:21 PM »
 :thumb:

Offline blt1

• OFF TOPIC
  • Rider
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2011, 09:00:48 PM »
I believe I have them degreed in. Took me a little bit and had to refer back here to remember to add 180 and subtract the smaller of the readings. But I think i got it, putting her back together and see if she starts. Does any body have anything else I should check before buttoning the motor back up? Thanks again.
Wanna go fast.

Offline knecum

• Mad Post Whore
  • The Recipe!
    • www.knecumpower.com
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2011, 08:41:10 PM »
I believe I have them degreed in. Took me a little bit and had to refer back here to remember to add 180 and subtract the smaller of the readings. But I think i got it, putting her back together and see if she starts. Does any body have anything else I should check before buttoning the motor back up? Thanks again.

yes piston to valve... min .050 int .075 ex  at  8 atdc for int and 8 btdc ex

Offline InlineR

• Rider
  • 2014 White Hot Denim V-Rod Muscle
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2011, 09:16:59 PM »
first of all sorry to thread jack but Im having a bit of an issue myself. Ive spoken to Robert Kelly thru PMs and Im up to my neck in other things to do so this needs to get done..

here is what my cams look like my exhaust cam the way it sets is at 104 but Im wondering if im one tooth off of timing..

“Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand.”

Offline knecum

• Mad Post Whore
  • The Recipe!
    • www.knecumpower.com
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2011, 09:34:31 PM »
I don't go by the marks on the sprockets, if you have stock cams make sure the little line on the end of the cam is atleast level or below the head surface on both cams with the #4 CYL At tdc, then take a look at #1 cyl which is in the over lap postion, and those buckets should be pushed down around .090 int and .080 on the ex ...at this postion you are not off any teeth, both may require degreeing to get you where YOU want it.. but you would be really close at those lifts at tdc overlap #1 cyl which is tdc comp stroke on #4 at the same postion..Take that info in and post back in the morning... also make sure you have valve clearence .006 int and .009 ex with stock cams.. also make sure you zip tie cams before installing cam caps to prevent jumping

Offline InlineR

• Rider
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2011, 07:55:53 AM »
well I'm real close on the intake side roughly .086 but on the exhaust side I'm like .130 I do have an intake cam on the exhaust side though. also I don't have a piston stop so I'm doing all of this from the line on the crank.
“Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand.”

Offline knecum

• Mad Post Whore
  • The Recipe!
    • www.knecumpower.com
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2011, 08:04:36 AM »
ok if you have int on ex side that line should point at around  to 2 o'clock, then check for the lift at that point which should be like i said .085, your ,086 is ok on int.. then degree from there.. that.130 is way off. engine prolly won't even turn over, or hit eventually when turning over by hand

Offline knecum

• Mad Post Whore
  • The Recipe!
    • www.knecumpower.com
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2011, 08:10:49 AM »
put the int on the ex side with the adj slot in the middle so if your at .050  or at .100 when checking you can just loosen bolts and go backwards for less lift or forwards for more lift... this is only for ex side, int is opposite,  counter clockwise for more lift and clockwise for less lift, turning over engine from the right side.. hope i helped

Offline InlineR

• Rider
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2011, 08:45:21 AM »
I think my intake side is dead on and my cam markings are right from there 15 pins from #3 on Int cam to #2 on Exhaust cam...

so at this point im super frustrated every time i degree it, its different. I moved the cams one tooth and I get piston to valve contact.

I'm walking away from it before I break something.

anyone in Metro Detroit wanna come by and school me on WTF I'm doing wrong??

Offline knecum

• Mad Post Whore
  • The Recipe!
    • www.knecumpower.com
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2011, 09:01:59 AM »
ARE YOU REMOVING THE INT WHEN REINSTALLING THE EX?   MAYBE THATS WHERE YOUR SCREWING UP,  JUST PUT IT AT TDC #1&4 AND START OVER... JUST LIKE I EXPLAINED. PULL EX SIDE CHAIN TAUGHT INSTALL EX CAM WITH LINE AT 2 O'CLOCK .. ZIP TIE, THEN INSTALL INT WITH THE LINE JUST BELOW HEAD OR LEVEL THEN ZIP TIE... INSTALL CAPS.. AND PROCEED WITH CARE!!

Offline InlineR

• Rider
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2011, 09:17:10 AM »
yeah thats all done.. Im there, but like I said the exhaust cam bucket on #1 cyl at TDC is approx .130...

Exhaust cam

Intake cam

Offline InlineR

• Rider
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2011, 09:26:37 AM »
Im gonna try and find a piston stop today and get my true TDC.

Offline knecum

• Mad Post Whore
  • The Recipe!
    • www.knecumpower.com
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2011, 10:33:28 AM »
If you.can't.Find a tdc Finder. Put the. Line.on starter c lurch on the far end of the notch in the cover.   So to the right    is where. True tdc usually is.   Make the ex. 085. And you should. Be able to turn it over

Offline InlineR

• Rider
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2011, 11:24:47 AM »
well I got it sorted, It was my TDC it was just to the right of the notch after finding that degreeing was not an issue.

base gasket removed intake cam on exhaust side both cams degreed rode it up to the gas station this morning def gonna need some tweaking on the map.